• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louay

I think its about all of it and also gaining thousands of developers straight away.

From what I've heard, devs are becoming harder and harder to hire due to lack of talent and the amount required for projects is increasing with every release.

They don't just magically grow on trees and it's hard to nurture new studios because of it.

I think for Ms it's huge to get king and all the ip as well but everyone seems ro just be focused on the cod ip. I think its about a lot more than that.
Well UBI out there if any company want huge manpower....

reksveks

Out of curiosity what do you think it's mainly about for MS? King and mobile?
King and mobile is #1 followed by COD, with 250 mau's you have a big audience to sell a subscription service that reduces the cost of mobile mtx and with potential changes coming to mobile app stores, you can see a world where you have an Xbox app store on mobile.

If I was to give a % of 'value' to each part of the business,
45% king
10% cod mobile
35% cod on console/pc
10% Blizzard.

Last edited:

Three

King and mobile is #1 followed by COD, with 250 mau's you have a big audience to sell a subscription service that reduces the cost of mobile mtx and with potential changes coming to mobile app stores, you can see a world where you have an Xbox app store on mobile.

If I was to give a % of 'value' to each part of the business,
45% king
10% cod mobile
35% cod on console/pc
10% Blizzard.
That's a fair assessment I would say. Considering they have the most friction from the Activision Blizzard side of ABK when it comes to regulators I would say that is pretty important to them too otherwise they could have just bought King from ABK.
I think its about all of it and also gaining thousands of developers straight away.

From what I've heard, devs are becoming harder and harder to hire due to lack of talent and the amount required for projects is increasing with every release.

They don't just magically grow on trees and it's hard to nurture new studios because of it.

I think for Ms it's huge to get king and all the ip as well but everyone seems ro just be focused on the cod ip. I think its about a lot more than that.
Yeah, it's all important to them otherwise they could have got a much cheaper deal and closed much quicker too. Securing IP for their subscription I would say is pretty high on the list though.

PaintTinJr

I don't think Godot also realizes that they are inadvertently hurting the argument that MS isn't leveraging division revenues outside of gaming to sustain the GamePass strategy. Which ironically, is one of the potential concerns when it comes to claims of anti-competitive practices. We already know that the Xbox division could have never made the ABK deal on its own accord; that took all of Microsoft's other division to come through and cover the costs of the buy and whatever else comes with it.

Which in itself isn't the big concern. However, if Satya Nadella is now out here saying they're making these acquisitions to "compete" with Sony...he has just kneecapped their own future acquisition potential! With both Zenimax and ABK revenue streams added to Xbox's, that puts them within spitting distance of PlayStation's usual annual revenue. That is now them being "competitive" with Sony in revenue. Even if Sony were to acquire Square-Enix, Capcom, Sega or another publisher of that type of size, it wouldn't be enough in terms of increasing PlayStation's revenue to where MS would have a good reason to buy another publisher.

I mean think about it. If MS already have Zenimax, already have ABK...why would they also need EA, or Take Two, or Embracer Group, to "compete" with Sony? At that point it is no longer about "competition", it's effectively them trying to starve Sony out of the console market as a platform holder. It would be a modern implementation of that "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" policy that has been with MS since the 1980s. That's IF Microsoft go for other big publishers because, by Satay's own words, apparently these acquisitions have been about competition with Sony.

It's kind of hilarious that Satya has put a cap on MS's own further acquisition attempts via a public statement that can be used in the court of law, but ultimately if their major gaming acquisitions, at least for the next few years, stops at ABK, I think that's the right call. Expanding just for the sake of expanding, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. MS need to make sure their current acquisitions are able to prove their worth and put out some strong results, consistently, and at least some of them reaching new heights in what they're able to do (especially the ones that need it the most).

IMHO, they are set studio-wise for the next five years, at the very least. They have no further reason to buy further publishers or even developers. The only potential exception would be Asobo, but that depends on if Asobo are interested in wanting to sell. Otherwise, almost any other developer that MS could try wanting to buy, and certainly any other publisher, could easily be called for what it is: an act of aggression towards Sony (and other platform holders i.e Nintendo), with provable anti-competitive leanings. Which I'm sure is something MS would want to avoid getting tangled up with legally; after all if/when the ABK deal is approved that is going to open a lot of easy opportunities for Apple, Google, Amazon etc. to try buying virtually any other publisher and having almost no pushback because, hey, they can just point to MS buying ABK and ask regulators why they would approve that but not, say, Apple buying EA or Ubisoft.
That's a really good observation you are making IMO, and although it expands to the full extent of gaming, you would wonder if the context was narrowed to sold - rather than F2P/subbed - WRPGs or FPS games whether the acquisitions by their genre would look differently in terms of market share, and potentially damaging other platforms by taking the lion's share of platform cut of certain genres away. Damaging the competition by a smaller revenue percentage but optically by a much larger percentage.

I've already had someone respond in another thread to one of my posts saying that Xbox can do shooters and online multiplayer and PlayStation can do single player cinematic games, as though Microsoft taking away the biggest tent pole FPS is okay, because PlayStation gamers shouldn't expect that on the market leading platform.

PaintTinJr

Just like Sony did with their games and more recent console price hike?
But Sony aren't a 2Trillion dollar company with history or means of completely cornering a market and locking out everyone and setting the terms.

Just look at Windows and Office, neither were first or best and yet with the WinTel lock on the home PC market, the price to buy these products standalone is randomly picked out the sky. Linux and Android are effectively free, and products that pre-date Excel - like Lotus 1-2-3 - are the foundation of open source alternatives. Show me a situation where Sony or PlayStation are charging hundreds of pounds above what a product is worth with market dominance and zero competition.

reksveks

Reading that feels delusional. If gamepass is able to corner the market - which is their(Microsoft's) sole objective - the amount of content will be drip fed - like it is with Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc - and prices will rise to whatever they can get away with.

There is no better value on offer coming, it is only going to be more expensive.
1) all companies seeks to be a monopoly and 'corner the market', its not a particularly unique trait
2) increasing costs/revenues is always going to happen largely irrelevant of the business model. We live in a capitalist system that requires constant growth.

"If it's about competition, let's have competition"

Excited Pumped Up GIF by Lil Jon

5N2FvUo.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
But Sony aren't a 2Trillion dollar company with history or means of completely cornering a market and locking out everyone and setting the terms.

Just look at Windows and Office, neither were first or best and yet with the WinTel lock on the home PC market, the price to buy these products standalone is randomly picked out the sky. Linux and Android are effectively free, and products that pre-date Excel - like Lotus 1-2-3 - are the foundation of open source alternatives. Show me a situation where Sony or PlayStation are charging hundreds of pounds above what a product is worth with market dominance and zero competition.

but Sony is the market leader in the console market and the only one to raise the price of games and the console during this market. neither Nintendo or Microsoft have done that

PaintTinJr

Android is free cause you aren't the customer, right? It's an entirely different business model.

I wouldn't use that as an example. Especially after the EU has fined Google for practice related to Android.
Not the free part I was talking about, hence why it was linux and android, as both are released as open source software, and android can be used without any need to install Google's telemetry spyware AFAIK.
There is no open source telemetry free version of Windows or Office which combined cost more than (or around the price of) a Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU.

reksveks

Not the free part I was talking about, hence why it was linux and android, as both are released as open source software, and android can be used without any need to install Google's telemetry spyware AFAIK.
There is no open source telemetry free version of Windows or Office which combined cost more than (or around the price of) a Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU.
Need to be very precise when we are talking aosp and android.

When people say Android they aren't generally referring to AOSP.

Companies aren't required to release Open Source products. I might need to go back in the comments to see why we are talking about it.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

but Sony is the market leader in the console market and the only one to raise the price of games and the console during this market. neither Nintendo or Microsoft have done that
They raised the console price to offset a drop in margins - so not the cynical sky is the limit price hike - and game price rises are yet to materialise in reality because most of us still buy our games at the price point we decide, and when. Games like Sifu might have cost the full £60 in previous gens, so game prices are as varied as they were back in the days of 48K/C64, etc IMO, and if PlayStation can command those prices, then that's the free market in action - I personally haven't paid more than £50 for any game this gen IIRC, and that even included my first purchase/play of CoD since black Ops on PS3, and DeS Remake, Sack Boy, Morales, GT7, HFW, FF7R Integrade, etc. I probably paid the same for Death Stranding and GoT on PS4, so as a non-digital buyer of brand new games the prices are unchanged for me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe I'm wrong, but when Sony entered the gaming sphere, weren't they the big tech company that made CD players, TVs, walkmans etc that decided they wanted to use their talents of CD to create a console after a fouled relationship with Nintendo and start buying exclusives like Final Fantasy VII etc?

Now its just 20 odd years later and little Xbox microsoft have finally been noticed by Papa Microsoft and been handed the wallet to make some serious waves for their business plan.

Will it work out for them, let's see.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Need to be very precise when we are talking aosp and android.

When people say Android they aren't generally referring to AOSP.

Companies aren't required to release Open Source products. I might need to go back in the comments to see why we are talking about it.
I agree I could have put AOSP in brackets but then it is inconsistent with Linux being mostly Redhat as commercial grade software but anyone seeing Linux is free doesn't need it specified differently.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They raised the console price to offset a drop in margins - so not the cynical sky is the limit price hike - and game price rises are yet to materialise in reality because most of us still buy our games at the price point we decide, and when. Games like Sifu might have cost the full £60 in previous gens, so game prices are as varied as they were back in the days of 48K/C64, etc IMO, and if PlayStation can command those prices, then that's the free market in action - I personally haven't paid more than £50 for any game this gen IIRC, and that even included my first purchase/play of CoD since black Ops on PS3, and DeS Remake, Sack Boy, Morales, GT7, HFW, FF7R Integrade, etc. I probably paid the same for Death Stranding and GoT on PS4, so as a non-digital buyer of brand new games the prices are unchanged for me.

this is a company that is happy to post how many billions they make in profit alone from gamers and you defending a price hike? is the drop in revenue due to people buying other consoles or PC's?ever time Sony drops in revenue are you expected to take up the cost every time so they can still have there billions in profit per year in the console business?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

just a reminder that Sony is paying for multipltform games to be exclusive or timed exclusive. Microsoft had to respond to this or it would of been another gen like last gen with PS dominance
The most bullshit of fanboy narratives.

Pelta88

just a reminder that Sony is paying for multipltform games to be exclusive or timed exclusive. Microsoft had to respond to this or it would of been another gen like last gen with PS dominance

giphy.gif

Back in 2007

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Daddy Satya did say if its about competition, let's have competition.

Dane

Maybe I'm wrong, but when Sony entered the gaming sphere, weren't they the big tech company that made CD players, TVs, walkmans etc that decided they wanted to use their talents of CD to create a console after a fouled relationship with Nintendo and start buying exclusives like Final Fantasy VII etc?

Now its just 20 odd years later and little Xbox microsoft have finally been noticed by Papa Microsoft and been handed the wallet to make some serious waves for their business plan.

Will it work out for them, let's see.
Exactly, Sony had the same position as Microsoft today to spend hundreds of millions out of gate and selling the PS1 much cheaper than Saturn.

xHunter

Article is from 2020 and he said we would know in the coming months.

So I am interested to see where this conversation is going to be in a couple of months because there are games that are widely accepted as multiplatform that Sony is locking up for a little while

So which huge games that were widly accepted as multiplatform titles did they get? I can only think of FF16, but then again, the franchise is not something where i would think its that huge. Sounds like made up stuff.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Exactly, Sony had the same position as Microsoft today to spend hundreds of millions out of gate and selling the PS1 much cheaper than Saturn.
It was totally fine that Sony leveraged the success they had in other divisions to build the PlayStation brand. It's totally fine for MS to do the same thing now. They competed then and should do so now. The good thing is that the industry is too big and established for one company to control everything and each platform can excel at its on niche. I like that there are differences on each platform.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
“Let us have competition” he says. LOL

It’s like the rich kid that brings his expensive toys to school just to brag.

One thing is to make competition, another thing entirely is to buy the entire industry because you don’t know how to make good games. If only all that money was used to create their own studios and their own IPs, Xbox would be huge. if they wanted competition they would do that, and maybe buy a couple of studios to complement it.

What they are doing is just trying to own the industry. Nintendo is successful doing their own thing, Sony too, but Microsoft just can’t.

I still can believe Ganepass is profitable. It’s just a pipe dream for them that they make work only because they can afford to hemorrhage money into it. Any other business would be bankrupt with a GamePass model.

It would be a shame if this deal pass. I know it will because there is a lot of money involve and they will be able to “convince” everyone involved in the decision.

As I said, they should use the money to create their own studios. Look how much Sony paid for Insomniac and they do amazing games.

To create new Studios you need people with a lot of creative skills and/or visionary gamers perspectives like Kojima, Gallagher, Fargo, Druckmann, Straley, Hennig, Barlog, Houser, Howard ecc, otherwise, what you will achieve with random people and some ideas at the top management? Who gives you the money to prove what you want to create? If it is so simple to create a new studio from zero with a new IP, why there are so few around? Look at Striking Distance Studios, who’s at the top? Glen Schofield, not a random creative director. You have to become a creative director. It’s extremely difficult to create a new studio today with this competition between directors, They’re all working for someone.
It also feeds into MS's argument. Sony have first mover advantage with a lot of the studios they acquired like Insomniac. What third party nowadays can afford to ignore PlayStation? Did Insomniac entertain offers or did they just deal with Sony?

PaintTinJr

this is a company that is happy to post how many billions they make in profit alone from gamers and you defending a price hike? is the drop in revenue due to people buying other consoles or PC's?ever time Sony drops in revenue are you expected to take up the cost every time so they can still have there billions in profit per year in the console business?
The drop in margin specifically on the ps5 console hardware is because of unfavourable market conditions AFAIK, so the price "adjustment" is to maintain that device's expected margin in the regions affect. So not defending it - I'm not a shareholder - just giving the context and saying it makes sense IMO; especially when the device supply is still way behind demand and the device has been speculatively scalped by others for twice the price at times.

PlayStation would have rather sold more consoles cheaper, fulfilling demand and making 30% on software sales of great games in a non-COVID paradox situation, but that isn't the situation and if gamers don't like the price they can always buy an Xbox, Steam deck, PC or Switch, or PS4 or use PS Now, instead or opt out. But even with a price adjustment gamers don't seem too put off, do they?

PaintTinJr

Philips CD-i says hi, so not so easy to just tick those boxes, and Final fantasy is a Japanese game so had close ties to Nintendo and Sony, but only one was marketing their device as a product to take games beyond the traditional kid focused market and double or triple the market size. No surprise that a few month old thread on here about FF switch to 3D development has a MIPs based graphics workstation devkit in the picture that used similar silicon to Sony's News PC workstations of the time(and similar to the MIPs CPUs used in PlayStations). So just natural synergy, again for the FF7 being exclusive to PS1 IMO.

Some people seem to be getting angrier with every day that passes. How much angrier will you get if this really takes til next June? Wouldn't it be healthier to just accept and move on. You could even take a day off and relax at BryanKs cuddlespace and be smothered by likeminded boys.
This deal is happening, learn to live with it, it's not the end of the world.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Yes you're wrong. Sony didn't buy FF7 exclusivity, that's the new narrative green rats made up. I'm not surprised you were gullible enough to believe it considering your history.

Square had a vision for FF7 and they tried everything to make it work on N64 but they couldn't so they switched to Playstation and PC. That's it. This is well-known and there are tons of articles about it. Just do a google search instead of repeating what you read on Xbox circles.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes you're wrong. Sony didn't buy FF7 exclusivity, that's the new narrative green rats made up. I'm not surprised you were gullible enough to believe it considering your history.

Square had a vision for FF7 and they tried everything to make it work on N64 but they couldn't so they switched to Playstation and PC. That's it. This is well-known and there are tons of articles about it. Just do a google search instead of repeating what you read on Xbox circles.

Square also took issue with Nintendo's restrictions on third party publishers at the time, and there was a rift between executives in both companies as well, I believe.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The drop in margin specifically on the ps5 console hardware is because of unfavourable market conditions AFAIK, so the price "adjustment" is to maintain that device's expected margin in the regions affect. So not defending it - I'm not a shareholder - just giving the context and saying it makes sense IMO; especially when the device supply is still way behind demand and the device has been speculatively scalped by others for twice the price at times.

PlayStation would have rather sold more consoles cheaper, fulfilling demand and making 30% on software sales of great games in a non-COVID paradox situation, but that isn't the situation and if gamers don't like the price they can always buy an Xbox, Steam deck, PC or Switch, or PS4 or use PS Now, instead or opt out. But even with a price adjustment gamers don't seem too put off, do they?

Well it hasn’t been long since the price adjustment to tell really? I don’t expect it to impact but it isn’t a good thing.

It’s the same as saying about how the activision deal affects both Microsoft and Sony. We don’t know yet.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Hey, I'm a green rat. We aren't bad all the time.

Thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.

I have never said Nintendo is the leader?

They are though? Nintendo will sell more than sony this fiscal year. Sony will probably become leaders again next fiscal year. At the moment though, Nintendo is the market leader overall selling the most units worldwide. So you saying sony are the leaders, is false.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
who makes the most money?
Profits? Nintendo.

Revenue =/= profits, especially when your operating income is much higher in comparison.

Nintendo leads with $5.4 billion in terms of publicly disclosed numbers. Sony had an operating profit of $2.63 billion for its gaming division. Microsoft, meanwhile, does not report operating profit for its Xbox division.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom