• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Amy Hood Says Xbox Console Hardware Sales Had Weaker Than Expected Performance

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Chappelles Show GIF

Jesb

Are they trying hard enough? Here in Canada it’s more expensive than PS5. Cheapest I see Xbox here is 599. Ps5 digital cheapest I see is 579. PS5 bundles are also same price as Xbox bundles.

Pejo

Gold Member
I can't think of a reason to buy an Xbox console in 2024. If anything, just build a PC. And I'm not even trying to start drama, but why pay for online for no other benefits? There are no exclusives anymore, and Gamepass plays the same on PC as it does on Xbox as far as I know.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As I've said so many times I feel like a broken fucking record at this point:

Consoles don't sell well if they don't have exclusive games on them. A console needs a USP to compete with its competitors. If you only have games that people can play elsewhere... they are going to play elsewhere, especially if they already own the competitor's console or PC. Which most people do.

Xbox's strategy has been a disaster for Xbox for many, many years. They now need to do a Sega and get out of hardware manufacture, to let somebody else who has a clue (Valve) get in on it.

Last edited:

FireFly

As I've said so many times I feel like a broken fucking record at this point:

Consoles don't sell well if they don't have exclusive games on them. A console needs a USP to compete with its competitors. If you only have games that people can play elsewhere... they are going to play elsewhere, especially if they already own the competitor's console or PC. Which most people do.

Xbox's strategy has been a disaster for Xbox for many, many years. They now need to do a Sega and get out of hardware manufacture, to let somebody else who has a clue (Valve) get in on it.
Valve's strategy surely would be similar to Microsoft's in the sense that they would be launching without exclusive content, as their main platform is Steam.

BlackTron

I can't think of a reason to buy an Xbox console in 2024. If anything, just build a PC. And I'm not even trying to start drama, but why pay for online for no other benefits? There are no exclusives anymore, and Gamepass plays the same on PC as it does on Xbox as far as I know.

The biggest difference is that Gamepass console and PC offerings are different. Many games are on both, but many others are either PC or Xbox only, for example BC 360 games. Without that BC stuff there's not really much you can do with an Xbox you can't on PC.

I jump from a thread where it says that they increased revenue by 49% to this one where they sell less consoles than expected.

I must admit i'm a little bit confused

If only you knew their projections and forecast... it's absolutely compatible increasing revenue but not reaching goals, e.g: meeting a 200% increase on hw sales or a 200% goal on revenue

SHA

The ball in Sonys hands unless they make mistakes so ms get their chance to capitalize on that like in 7th gen, they haven't proven that when Sony did no wrong, that didn't happen since the beginning of their business, yes, there's pc, but it used to be a separate division, not with xbox, I still think bringing these pc games to Xbox haven't helped a bit, it's hard and confusing for the consumers to realize the significance of this idea.

I can't think of a reason to buy an Xbox console in 2024.
I originally bought a Series X to catch up on most of 360 gen and also XBO gen libraries due to it having some backwards compatibility. So for someone like me there was a huge benefit.

However, Depending on what path MS takes, I might buy another Xbox Series X in the future, when they’re cheaper, just to mod it into an excellent emulation machine.

Edit: Also to your other point, most console audiences don’t care about moving to PC, they just want good games to play, and to play with their friends who are also on console.

If the console’s first party isn’t providing them good content for either, then them and their friends will simply move to a console that does.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I originally bought a Series X to catch up on most of 360 gen and also XBO gen libraries due to it having some backwards compatibility. So for someone like me there was a huge benefit.
To be fair, I did say "in 2024". Most people concerned with Backwards compatible games would have already purchased their console years ago. I do agree the uprezzed 360 stuff is nice though.
However, Depending on what path MS takes, I might buy another Xbox Series X in the future, when they’re cheaper, just to mod it into an excellent emulation machine.
Are you saying that an Xbox Series X is a better emulation machine than a PC? That's quite a take...

To be fair, I did say "in 2024". Most people concerned with Backwards compatible games would have already purchased their console years ago. I do agree the uprezzed 360 stuff is nice though.
No worries I’m not trying to start a back and forth. I’m just explaining why I’d personally do it.
Are you saying that an Xbox Series X is a better emulation machine than a PC? That's quite a take...
No. I didn’t say this at all.

My edit above is also just me explaining the mind of a console buyer to a PC guy.

Killjoy-NL

Uhhhh, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild literally did that for Nintendo. Now they have the second best-selling home console in history.

One game.
People really didn’t listen to Phil Spencer when he said it isn't a matter of just releasing good games, that he reads all the discussions online and that Starfield (or any other title) could be a 11/10 game, but that it won't matter?

Because fact of the matter is, it won't matter.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Uhhhh, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild literally did that for Nintendo. Now they have the second best-selling home console in history.

One game.

Bullshit it was one game. During their reveal event for the console they showed off Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Skyrim, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade 2, and many others. Giving release windows within the same launch year for Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Sounds l like your content playing on Microsoft Windows. MS is probably happy with that.

XBox need to be clear about their future soon because fuck no im not spending in their ecosystem besides gamepass.
I feel the same. I think I will end up just buying some BC games when they go on sale, but otherwise stop new IP purchases for now.

No Avowed. No Hellblade. No Indiana Jones.

I just need to see if they are going to port their titles to other platforms first.

Sw0pDiller

Didn't we allready knew his? Or is it the first time we hear MS themselves saying it? Did their spin-machine broke?

Perrott

People really didn’t listen to Phil Spencer when he said it isn't a matter of just releasing good games, that he reads all the discussions online and that Starfield (or any other title) could be a 11/10 game, but that it won't matter?

It doesn't matter because the Xbox brand is led by an entire board of losers who think and say shit like that and act the same way.

That's what makes Starfield not reach it's full potential and become the next Breath of the Wild.

They're the most rich corporation in the entire world, not late 90s Sega. They have no excuses for their failure.

Killjoy-NL

It doesn't matter because the Xbox brand is led by an entire board of losers who think and say shit like that and act the same way.

That's what makes Starfield not reach it's full potential and become the next Breath of the Wild.

They're the most rich corporation in the entire world, not late 90s Sega. They have no excuses for their failure.
Watch the interview again.

He already stated that the Playstation brand is far stronger (or something similar) and that they lost the most important gen last-gen due to the rise of digital libraries.

We clearly see the effects on the market, so what is there to argue at this point?
No game is going to change anything. Thinking otherwise is straight-up denial.

digdug2

Imagine if Starfield was actually an 11/10 game. It might've mattered, at least a little bit. I have an XSX, but it's collecting dust because there really are no games that I want to play on it. I'd rather play my PS5 or Switch.

Perrott

He already stated that the Playstation brand is far stronger (or something similar) and that they lost the most important gen last-gen due to the rise of digital libraries.

We clearly see the effects on the market, so what is there to argue at this point?
Well, doesn't the large and growing catalogue of Game Pass help alliviate the issue of losing your digital library by jumping from a competitor's console into an Xbox Series though? I'd say it kinda does, but the problem is that there isn't such game (or set of games) that would make players switch ecosystems or just buy an Xbox as a secondary machine just for the first-party content.

You’re one of the few here who actually listened to the entirety of what he said.

Thank you.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So they spend a lot of money so revenue increases. Sounds like a numbers game to make it sound better.
Of course it is and everyone who has half a clue knows that. This is not remotely surprising as they are a publicly traded company.

I can't wait for the story about how their gaming costs went down 10% by firing people and putting 1000s in financial hardship.

Markio128

Gold Member
Bullshit it was one game. During their reveal event for the console they showed off Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Shin Megami Tensei 5, Skyrim, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade 2, and many others. Giving release windows within the same launch year for Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey.
I agree that one game won’t turn the tide for MS, but their biggest issue is that are being reactive instead of proactive. Xbox has been a thing for years now, so not having a compelling lineup is on them, especially with so many studios.

Top Bottom