• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Amy Hood Says Xbox Console Hardware Sales Had Weaker Than Expected Performance

Revenue growth from acquisitions isn't sustainable unless they plan to keep buying up big publishers. We've literally never seen this before in the gaming space a parent company being so highly capitalized that it just eats losses left and right for decades their endgame have become so transparent they truly believe they'll be the last man standing and fortunately for them Sony and Nintendo aren't worth Trillions because if they were I believe Microsoft would've already left console gaming.

Sleepwalker

The biggest difference is that Gamepass console and PC offerings are different. Many games are on both, but many others are either PC or Xbox only, for example BC 360 games. Without that BC stuff there's not really much you can do with an Xbox you can't on PC.
And even then if your PC is powerful enough you can either

A) Get much better performance on the native PC version of those 360 games.
B) Get better performance via emulation on xenia.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member

Some xenia games even play well on the Steam Deck.

This idea that you need a powerful PC to get the "xbox experience" is complete bullshit brought to you by the same people who champion the Series S.

They’re having a bad cycle. PS experienced it with PS3, and Nintendo experienced it with Wii U and GameCube. All they can do is ride it out until the next system is ready and launch it alongside some killer titles.

Correction: 2 bad cycles in a row, over a decade now to be precise.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They’re having a bad cycle. PS experienced it with PS3, and Nintendo experienced it with Wii U and GameCube. All they can do is ride it out until the next system is ready and launch it alongside some killer titles.
The difference is Xbox also saw a bad cycle last gen.

Nintendo and Sony fixed their problems in the middle, at the end of or the following gen.

This happening 2 gens in a row is wild.

Sleepwalker

Some xenia games even play well on the Steam Deck.

This idea that you need a powerful PC to get the "xbox experience" is complete bullshit brought to you by the same people who champion the Series S.

Correction: 2 bad cycles in a row, over a decade now to be

Yeah these 360 games already are emulated on a weak ass series S, Xenia runs fine on my second PC with a 2000 series gpu. Also works alright on a 3060 laptop.

Compatibility is much better since its most of the library compared to xbox bc.

Reactions: GHG
Hum...

MS had a bad cycle with the first Xbox...and Xbox One...and Xbox Series.
Literally the one time they didn't have a "bad cycle" it was when Sony released a console one year later and 200 dollars more expensive. And Xbox still managed to be outsold in the end.

Revenue growth from acquisitions isn't sustainable unless they plan to keep buying up big publishers. We've literally never seen this before in the gaming space a parent company being so highly capitalized that it just eats losses left and right for decades their endgame have become so transparent they truly believe they'll be the last man standing and fortunately for them Sony and Nintendo aren't worth Trillions because if they were I believe Microsoft would've already left console gaming.
Microsoft is waiting for 2 things to happen. Cloud gaming becomes viable and the video game market increases dramatically, or AI explodes and decreases the cost of game development by a large margin. Both of those are still 5-10 years away from potentially occurring. They are just trying to stay afloat until one of those 2 things happens

Dr_Ifto

Microsoft needs to just put out bangers until the next xbox comes out. Like the PS3 did. It will return them to competitive status

now imagine when the they announce games for PS5/Switch and the inevitable delays.

this is why some people believe xbox is launching their Next-Gen consoles in 2026. they want another 360 era.

BlackTron

I didn't realize 360 emulation was that good, I was under the impression that for most old games where a BC version exists that's currently the best way to play it. But I only have experience trying to emulate a few 360 games, and that was a year ago.

Of course it's not much of a selling point if there's a native PC version.

twilo99

I can't think of a reason to buy an Xbox console in 2024. If anything, just build a PC. And I'm not even trying to start drama, but why pay for online for no other benefits? There are no exclusives anymore, and Gamepass plays the same on PC as it does on Xbox as far as I know.

They only reason would be affordability.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’ve said this multiple times here and elsewhere. Gamepass needs to be revised.

Xbox consoles should have access to day 0 new games as part of gamepass.

PC should get gamepass games 3-6 months later

6 months after titles launch on Xbox they should be ported to Sony / Nintendo consoles.

Killjoy-NL

I’ve said this multiple times here and elsewhere. Gamepass needs to be revised.

Xbox consoles should have access to day 0 new games as part of gamepass.

PC should get gamepass games 3-6 months later

6 months after titles launch on Xbox they should be ported to Sony / Nintendo consoles.
What would be the point of that?

It’s simple. You didn’t do a good enough job of selling it and frankly you should look at yourselves rather than the consumer. But you won’t.

And we all know the script long term , the console will be placed under a narrative that it’s not the future and so on. Rather than put in place people who would do a better job of producing a Xbox console and games. It will be the same people as usual doing the same scattergun shite time and again and be applauded by the same shit bag fakes and zealots on social media for doing so.

All the while a ton of potential is wasted .

Last edited:
Revenue growth from acquisitions isn't sustainable unless they plan to keep buying up big publishers
But that's the thing - with ABK the growth is also in profits as ABK is a crazy profitable. Though, there are not many publishers that as profitable as ABK.

Xbox Series is the system that was supposed to fix the "bad cycle".
The problem is that Series had no opportunity to do that due to relatively bad launch (no big games) and then a completely empty 2022. Granted, I don't think it would help due to digital libraries that people built in Xbox One era. If you can force people to change PC launcher, what can you do to force people to switch the whole platform?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Florida Lead GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
Rather than put in place people who would do a better job of producing a Xbox console and games. It will be the same people as usual doing the same scattergun shite time and again and be applauded by the same shit bag fakes and zealots on social media for doing so.

All the while a ton of potential is wasted .

I can't even begin to tell you how much this comment mirrors what I'm experiencing at my work. People failing upward. Being promoted by others who either have no clue how worthless these people are or just don't care for some reason. The head of our subsidiary costed the company tens of thousands of dollars, almost killed someone by negligence (cracked three of her vertebrae), caused one of our robots to be unusable for 6 months, utterly failed at leading in every department he was put in charge of for some reason, and has caused multiple problems now that he's in charge. Meanwhile good people are leaving and the company doesn't know why...

I can't even begin to tell you how much this comment mirrors what I'm experiencing at my work. People failing upward. Being promoted by others who either have no clue how worthless these people are or just don't care for some reason. The head of our subsidiary costed the company tens of thousands of dollars, almost killed someone by negligence (cracked three of her vertebrae), caused one of our robots to be unusable for 6 months, utterly failed at leading in every department he was put in charge of for some reason, and has caused multiple problems now that he's in charge. Meanwhile good people are leaving and the company doesn't know why...

Been there myself dude, can totally sympathise

King Dazzar

But that's the thing - with ABK the growth is also in profits as ABK is a crazy profitable. Though, there are not many publishers that as profitable as ABK.

The problem is that Series had no opportunity to do that due to relatively bad launch (no big games) and then a completely empty 2022. Granted, I don't think it would help due to digital libraries that people built in Xbox One era. If you can force people to change PC launcher, what can you do to force people to switch the whole platform?
I still think the whole blame it on last gen and peoples digital library is an over played get out of jail free card. If XSX launched with a top tier Halo experience and then quickly followed with belter after belter. People would have taken notice and picked up one too. Instead, not only have they failed imo to tempt over other customers, but they're hemorrhaging existing customers like myself.

Topher

Gold Member

Sure......but another system launch isn't going to fix any of those problems for Xbox.

If XSX launched with a top tier Halo experience and then quickly followed with belter after belter.
Would not change much. The most played games are COD, FIFA and Fortnite. Hell, we have a lot of folks still playing PS4 and Xbox One :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sure......but another system launch isn't going to fix any of those problems for Xbox.
I did not say it would fix anything 🤷‍♂️ It is like hardware updates on PC? Who buys new Nvidia cards? the same people over and over again :messenger_tears_of_joy: If there is a new version of Xbox, it is more likely to be bought by people who already own Xbox.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

I can't think of a reason to buy an Xbox console in 2024. If anything, just build a PC. And I'm not even trying to start drama, but why pay for online for no other benefits? There are no exclusives anymore, and Gamepass plays the same on PC as it does on Xbox as far as I know.
I can tell you 1500 reasons why, if you’re only interested in those console games that come to PC as well.

SNG32

Exclusives like Indiana Jones, Avowed, and Stalker 2 this year will help alleviate that.
If they were exclusive to Xbox consoles maybe they would.

But unlikely. Honestly we know what Microsoft needs to do but they don’t have that vision anymore and now it’s all about how many consumers have access to their services.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Would not change much. The most played games are COD, FIFA and Fortnite. Hell, we have a lot of folks still playing PS4 and Xbox One :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's certainly the attitude Phil has expressed. Maybe you're both right. It comes across as a defeatist negative approach to it all though. I just remember the days when I was excited in what Xbox was doing. Instead, I've gone from loving the XSX at launch, to wondering why I'm still keeping it around. It is no doubt multiple reasons why I feel that way. But previous gen digital library isn't one of them for me.

That's certainly the attitude Phil has expressed. Maybe you're both right. It comes across as a defeatist negative approach to it all though. I just remember the days when I was excited in what Xbox was doing. Instead, I've gone from loving the XSX at launch, to wondering why I'm still keeping it around. It is no doubt multiple reasons why I feel that way. But previous gen digital library isn't one of them for me.
I am keeping Xbox around because I like playing Game Pass games (though I mainly play Forza Horizon :messenger_tears_of_joy: ) and I have no desire to use Geforce Now (though I might do that for some games) or buy a PC (as I prefer my Macbook) 🤷‍♂️ I also own Steam Deck, but I prefer playing on Xbox rather than holding the deck (or connecting it to a screen and tinker with game pad settings).

I would like to get something like Xbox phone on ARM with Xbox OS and android app support. Now that would be cool.

Last edited:

Astray

The ball in Sonys hands unless they make mistakes so ms get their chance to capitalize on that like in 7th gen, they haven't proven that when Sony did no wrong, that didn't happen since the beginning of their business, yes, there's pc, but it used to be a separate division, not with xbox, I still think bringing these pc games to Xbox haven't helped a bit, it's hard and confusing for the consumers to realize the significance of this idea.
This gen, the entirety of the Xbox community has been GAGGING for a Sony flop of some sort they can capitalize on to no avail.

The big difference is Sony has its eye on the ball this go-round, you look at their launch slate, and it's honestly been their strongest since PS3, they have full backcompat, they managed to compete on system price without compromising experience, and managed to largely survive the subscription wars too. Even the initial lag in QoL features has largely been passed.

Eventually, someone at MS will see that the vast majority of the nice revenue growth is unrelated to whether they have a system out there or not, they will check on how the Series consoles are doing market share-wise, and they will arrive at the obvious conclusion: To cut down (or completely eliminate) the console division and focus on publishing on other platforms.

Rockman33

Cost would probably be the biggest reason. Xbox’s were going for 350-400. No way your building a PC for anything near that.

digdug2

What would be the point of that?
To make it look like the console is actually doing better than it really is-- for a short time. The minute that their PC base feels slighted, GP subscriptions will drop. It's really six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

Papa_Wisdom

I said it in another thread but I don’t see why Microsoft just doesnt off the option to Install windows on an Xbox.

Don’t ship with it, but like developer mode where you have to actually buy a Windows key like you would a pc.

On boot you either get the option to Xbox or your windows install.

You have potential console customers who just want a console/ Xbox experience.

You have people who want a cheap pc.

Or people that will use it for both.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Exclusives like Indiana Jones, Avowed, and Stalker 2 this year will help alleviate that.

XBox is ramping up battleship production in the era of the aircraft carrier.

They're last few showcases are filled with games people on message boards like but they're games that don't have wider impact. It's the wrong demo to go after.

Mister Wolf

XBox is ramping up battleship production in the era of the aircraft carrier.

They're last few showcases are filled with games people on message boards like but they're games that don't have wider impact. It's the wrong demo to go after.

Indiana Jones has over 7 million views in just 12 days on just Bethesda's channel.

Top Bottom