• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and the Forzatech engine

Ovech-King

Gold Member
It baffles me that Microsoft limit their use of this engine to the forza series. The engine got amazing lightning and is the less power hungry 4K
60fps one I've came across. I can run horizon 4 ultra with those parameters with an OC 1070ti

Any ideas why they don't use it for other exclusives?

Teslerum

It baffles me that Microsoft limit their use of this engine to the forza series. The engine got amazing lightning and is the less power hungry 4K
60fps one I've came across. I can run horizon 4 ultra with those parameters with an OC 1070ti

It's tailored specifically for Forza? This isn't Unreal or Unity.
For a recent example where size fits all thinking ended in tears for some -> EA, Bioware and Frostbite

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
It seems like it would be very capable in other environments, just look at how amazing the Horizon series looks.

Now imagine the overhead that could be used to pretty it up even further when you don't have 12 cars drifting through the underbrush. Has it been talked about what engine Fable will be produced on at all? I could see a modified Forzatech engine since that's what Playground is so practiced in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
yeah, it would be great for a open world game. It supports dynamic weather, dynamic TOD, dynamic shadows, tesselation, PBR, GI, 4 different seasons, water based on SOT and incredible sky tech. the lighting and detail this engine can get is pretty incredible. Also its verry scalable, it can almost run on anything.

jakinov

- Why don't other studios use Uncharted Engine? Because it's not meant to be a general purpose engine for everybody to use.
- It doing 4K 60fps I suspect racing games are less demanding than other types of games; the highest resolution games with high framerates were racing games on PS3 as well.

Yeah good idea man!
Lets take a video game engine which is designed for a very specific task(racing games) and apply it to 3rd person/first person/adventure/rpg games.

Using a specific engine out of its intended purpose has never failed or caused any issues before, right?

Three

The lighting in forza games is not great I find it strange that you praise it for lighting of all things. Unless you actually meant lightning. I'm hoping for a big upgrade on the next iteration.

AnotherOne

Thunders.gif

Night.Ninja

Banned

How did you find out microsoft limit the engine ?

thelastword

Banned
There's nothing great about this engine, I'm sorry......Lighting? Really....Lots of low rez assets and simple geometry...Most of the games on this engine lack depth or a great level of detail...….It's certainly not an engine that has pushed the realism slider in games, especially for the genre that most the games on the engine are based on........FWIW, I play these games at 4k 60fps.....

Three

I guess people are referring to the Forza Horizon engine Forzatech. I thought we were talking about the motorsport one which doesn't do lighting very well. It will be interesting how much improvement from Horizon contributes to Motorsport.

Turk1993

This engine is really good for a open world game, just because its made for a racing game doens't mean that it can't be used for other type of games. Just look at the detail in the environment, the draw distance and the lighting
45601964615_d43cae086f_o.png

45798978281_de9d8e97da_o.png

44886211545_6de56c9873_o.png

45251149951_24faeba829_o.png

45251151771_4c92e0b241_o.png

30040957507_d396ec4835_o.png

45069003202_d11362bdd5_o.png

44397831714_cc27750b77_o.png

44004983984_17e0236020_o.png

30852354558_eb8284e59c_o.png

44398489375_3029ca0d2d_o.png

I thought that Playground Games was working on an open world Fantasy RPG (read: non-racing game) for next gen consoles. Can't remember the name though...

...Table?
...Mabel?
...Grable?
...Cable?

Bah, I can't remember what it is.

But I'd wager if they're not using their Forza Horizon engine for it, they've at least stripped the relevant parts from said engine for that new game.

Not every problem is a nail, but that doesn't mean you can't use a hammer to strategically help. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Don't attribute too much to the engine, it's the genre. Car games are notoriously easier to make than others. Less transparencies, predictable speed and visibility, etc. There is a reason most car games look and run great,

Mattyp

Gold Member
This engine is really good for a open world game, just because its made for a racing game doens't mean that it can't be used for other type of games. Just look at the detail in the environment, the draw distance and the lighting

This so much, the people saying it wouldn’t work haven’t played Horizon.

Strip the biggest drain on the resources being the cars and I think this engine in open world has the ability to look insane while running on toasters, I still stand by that it has the best lighting of the generation already.

The more I think about it the more I believe Playground will use it for Fable.

Have they posted any ads looking for Unreal developers or such over last few years?

LIGHTING.

LIGHTING.

LIGHTING.

LIGHT.... ING.

Man, that grinds my gears...
Well, technically...
GTqIglt.jpg

:p

But yeah, it's easily one of the best looking open world games this gen. I don't know how strictly it's tied to being a racing game, as some engines can be tough to separate from their original intended genre (Frostbite...), but I'd love to see other uses for it.

Strip the biggest drain on the resources being the cars and I think this engine in open world has the ability to look insane while running on toasters

I dunno. If you've got a couple of pieces of seven grain wheat in there, I have a feeling this game would slow that toaster down considerably.

Turk1993

This so much, the people saying it wouldn’t work haven’t played Horizon.

Strip the biggest drain on the resources being the cars and I think this engine in open world has the ability to look insane while running on toasters, I still stand by that it has the best lighting of the generation already.

The more I think about it the more I believe Playground will use it for Fable.

Have they posted any ads looking for Unreal developers or such over last few years?
The player car model in Forza has 4 times the polygon of main charachter models of Infamous, Ryse and The Order, that alone shows what you can do if you replace the car with a player model and add other players in the world. Even the driver looks really detailed and has some really great PBR and shaders.

nikolino840

I thought that Playground Games was working on an open world Fantasy RPG (read: non-racing game) for next gen consoles. Can't remember the name though...

...Table?
...Mabel?
...Grable?
...Cable?

Bah, I can't remember what it is.

But I'd wager if they're not using their Forza Horizon engine for it, they've at least stripped the relevant parts from said engine for that new game.

Not every problem is a nail, but that doesn't mean you can't use a hammer to strategically help. 🤷‍♂️
I think Is..maple..
no no Is the LARCH

DiscoJer

I don't think the engine is very good. The worlds in Horizon are depressingly small (for an open world racing game) and if you drive fast enough, you can run into problems with it not being able to stream fast enough (this is also a problem with the original Xbox hardware having a slow hard drive). It also has pop-in in places, like there's a section of Edinburgh where you can literally see an empty space and then boom, a building pops in as you get closer

zcaa0g

Banned
There's nothing great about this engine, I'm sorry......Lighting? Really....Lots of low rez assets and simple geometry...Most of the games on this engine lack depth or a great level of detail...….It's certainly not an engine that has pushed the realism slider in games, especially for the genre that most the games on the engine are based on........FWIW, I play these games at 4k 60fps.....

*yawn* Again.

different games have different requirements, you cant just take a racing engine optimized for that purpose and make a halo with it and expect the better results, you will probably get worse results

The player car model in Forza has 4 times the polygon of main charachter models of Infamous, Ryse and The Order, that alone shows what you can do if you replace the car with a player model and add other players in the world. Even the driver looks really detailed and has some really great PBR and shaders.

yes but the car doesnt have to alter its geometry all the time like a humanoid character has to, that is very easy for vertex shaders they mostly pass the data to fragment shaders instead of doing work and adjustments, also there is no joints/skeleton or they are very simple, no ragdolls and the hundreds of animations required for a humanoid characters and its individual parts that affect animations are not required for the car just because something use more geometry doesnt mean its more complex to run, the people and trees are also mostly geometry in racing games with not much else, you can add collision and stuff like that but they are usually very simplistic this situation usually allows to push more geometry also because its optimization is very different, the camera is more fixed/limited and that allows to predict what you dont need to render(on FPS this is more difficult) and geomtry is static so it doesn't require to access ram as much for animation data

for example MS was pushing an optimization for rendering part of the screen in normal(slower) ram they wanted to split render targets to ram and eSRAM to save eSRAM space and get 1080p more easily as you may guess this optimization works very well in racing games because the upper part of the screen has the skybox most of the time, sure you can use it in non racing games but obviously can get more complicated and dynamic resolution may be required when you wont get benefits splitting targets
xbox-one-ddr3-esram-split-render-target.jpg

you can see that racing games that need to run at 30 fps also use more interactive effects and objects, dynamic light and more, you will probably get worse results trying to adapt another game of different genre into a racing game than using it original engine that probably will be already optimized, its the same almost every generation, people see a game that uses too much geometry and think it can be adapted to any game, that is not the case

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member

Right? And it's not because they use shitty textures , everything is pretty top notch so pulling 60 fps at 4K is really impressive

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
It seems like it would be very capable in other environments, just look at how amazing the Horizon series looks.

Now imagine the overhead that could be used to pretty it up even further when you don't have 12 cars drifting through the underbrush. Has it been talked about what engine Fable will be produced on at all? I could see a modified Forzatech engine since that's what Playground is so practiced in.

My point is mainly that they have a powerful tool to compete with Sony right there and they don't even think about using it to give their platform an edge... oh Microsoft :messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

Myths

Looks pretty damn convincing when it comes to lighting and shaders. Still, there’s a slew of other parts to an engine than just using it for the above. Worse that we’re talking about one used specifically in a racing game, known to be less resource intensive.

Turk1993

different games have different requirements, you cant just take a racing engine optimized for that purpose and make a halo with it and expect the better results, you will probably get worse results

yes but the car doesnt have to alter its geometry all the time like a humanoid character has to, that is very easy for vertex shaders they mostly pass the data to fragment shaders instead of doing work and adjustments, also there is no joints/skeleton or they are very simple, no ragdolls and the hundreds of animations required for a humanoid characters and its individual parts that affect animations are not required for the car just because something use more geometry doesnt mean its more complex to run, the people and trees are also mostly geometry in racing games with not much else, you can add collision and stuff like that but they are usually very simplistic this situation usually allows to push more geometry also because its optimization is very different, the camera is more fixed/limited and that allows to predict what you dont need to render(on FPS this is more difficult) and geomtry is static so it doesn't require to access ram as much for animation data

for example MS was pushing an optimization for rendering part of the screen in normal(slower) ram they wanted to split render targets to ram and eSRAM to save eSRAM space and get 1080p more easily as you may guess this optimization works very well in racing games because the upper part of the screen has the skybox most of the time, sure you can use it in non racing games but obviously can get more complicated and dynamic resolution may be required when you wont get benefits splitting targets
xbox-one-ddr3-esram-split-render-target.jpg

you can see that racing games that need to run at 30 fps also use more interactive effects and objects, dynamic light and more, you will probably get worse results trying to adapt another game of different genre into a racing game than using it original engine that probably will be already optimized, its the same almost every generation, people see a game that uses too much geometry and think it can be adapted to any game, that is not the case
I agree with you on some points but the cars have 360hz physics and things like trees en bricks are destructable and react to your car and environment. The trees react to wind and weather, even the water waves are simulated ( they got it from SOT ). Its not just simple geometry, there are alot of stuff with physics in Horizon. Even the driver model has SSR, high quality shaders and PBR. The cars also have alot of movement like the suspension, tire flex, wipers, steering wheel, dials, wings and mirrors. Most of them have reactions because of the physics system. So its not just a static object.

I agree with you on some points but the cars have 360hz physics and things like trees en bricks are destructable and react to your car and environment. The trees react to wind and weather, even the water waves are simulated ( they got it from SOT ). Its not just simple geometry, there are alot of stuff with physics in Horizon. Even the driver model has SSR, high quality shaders and PBR. The cars also have alot of movement like the suspension, tire flex, wipers, steering wheel, dials, wings and mirrors. Most of them have reactions because of the physics system. So its not just a static object.

yes but a car is one big block for collision detection you can calculate a bunch of them 360 times per second more easily while a humanoid model can have many blocks and even more complex collision and they may affect movement moving joints with restrictions affecting animation while car model are just traslated over the scene, just because it has physics doesnt mean it have the same physics that other games have/require, its good it has some destructible/interactive objects, waves are good too, PBR and the shaders you mention and other interactions you mention are good but that is not a sign the engine can run other games better than their respective engines because the nature of the game allows or restrict many aspects and number of interactions compared to other games and that can be exploited to save perfomance you cant save other way, just because something "react with the wind" doesnt mean that will include every other object in their physics calculation things are tunned to run eficiently for what is required, you can find nice things that function similar to other genres but they are used in a very isolated ways while other games are ready to run many simultaneous interactions like that at the same time because their respective games need that and their engines are tuned that way, every effect you mention is nice but they are not the engine they are effects that can be implemented in engines if performance allows it, if you take forza engine and modify it to run a game like halo, then it no longer is a racing engine and it will probably end up being re-coded and end up looking like the current halo engine doing exactly the same the halo engine do with similar or worse performance and graphics

you guys talks as if the rest of teams at MS are a bunch of idiots and MS the biggest idiots for not using this engine, people dont understand how this things works but they think they know better than engineers that work on them

its like I take a game like batman arkham knight, it has nice waves in the sea, nice effects and the models use more triangles and better textures than the people in forza, batman is better than the driver model in forza and the city looks better than in forza so it must mean that Unreal Egnine 3 can run forza better than forza engine on the same xbox.... right?.... no

Last edited:

Turk1993

yes but a car is one big block for collision detection you can calculate a bunch of them 360 times per second more easily while a humanoid model can have many blocks and even more complex collision and they may affect movement moving joints with restrictions affecting animation while car model are just traslated over the scene, just because it has physics doesnt mean it have the same physics that other games have/require, its good it has some destructible/interactive objects, waves are good too, PBR and the shaders you mention and other interactions you mention are good but that is not a sign the engine can run other games better than their respective engines because the nature of the game allows or restrict many aspects and number of interactions compared to other games and that can be exploited to save perfomance you cant save other way, just because something "react with the wind" doesnt mean that will include every other object in their physics calculation things are tunned to run eficiently for what is required, you can find nice things that function similar to other genres but they are used in a very isolated ways while other games are ready to run many simultaneous interactions like that at the same time because their respective games need that and their engines are tuned that way, every effect you mention is nice but they are not the engine they are effects that can be implemented in engines if performance allows it, if you take forza engine and modify it to run a game like halo, then it no longer is a racing engine and it will probably end up being re-coded and end up looking like the current halo engine doing exactly the same the halo engine do with similar or worse performance and graphics

you guys talks as if the rest of teams at MS are a bunch of idiots and MS the biggest idiots for not using this engine, people dont understand how this things works but they think they know better than engineers that work on them

its like I take a game like batman arkham knight, it has nice waves in the sea, nice effects and the models use more triangles and better textures than the people in forza, batman is better than the driver model in forza and the city looks better than in forza so it must mean that Unreal Egnine 3 can run forza better than forza engine on the same xbox.... right?.... no
I almost agree with everything outside the modification part, you can make little changes it wil not change the core engine. Its like saying Fifa doens't run on Frosbite because they changed the animations or NFS wich also runs on Frosbite wich was designed for BF (fps). But i agree that its not that simple to use a certain engine just because it runs and looks good, maybe its the hardest coded engine there is and isn't dev friendly.

Forza engine thread? Here's some low rez assets and simple geometry shots. Note the poor lightning... lighting

FpEF8rX.jpg

DpP9yBU.jpg

bAexNwU.jpg

V9kuAjh.jpg

3fWz5cx.jpg

I2OY80F.jpg

CmN3l04.jpg

WHHZWUc.jpg

nF8DLLK.jpg

FM7 is pretty unimpressive too.

KKAA5lp.jpg

3gBudz9.jpg

0WN0hPO.jpg

I have about 200 more shot I could post and a few videos.

On a serous note, there are parts of this engine that could translate well to other types of games. The method they used for generating the skybox (park a 360 degree camera in a field for a week and stitch it all together randomly) is incredible and would be useable in any game. Even the method they used for terrain generation worked very well. I've only run across a few gaps in the world in 500 hours playing Horizon 4. Playing AC: Odyssey I ran into one in my first hour. Playing Fallout 76 I ran into one in the first minute which I promptly fell through :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hudo

If it is a purpose-built engine, then there's only limited use for it. However, I could imagine that maybe the Microsoft Flight Simulator team could've taken some parts of the renderer to use for themselves.

Top Bottom