• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

sibarraz

Banned
I hope that the 360 games are included in your catalogue so you don't have to "purchase" them like gwg, otherwise I couldn't download them

EvB

I won't forget E3 2013

We all lost loved ones.

My children have nightmares from the keynote speeches to this day.

"Daddy, the faces! THE FACES! WHY they wearing jeans with their business suit jacket and a T-Shirt?"

She still bursts into tears that Ted Price can't find clothes that fit and that 1 in 4 games developers wish they were Nordic Warriors.

Poor darling.

Isurus

And bring it on I say. The people that cried about this in 2013 can get fucked.

Amen.

Consumers, in general, had what I consider to be an irrational response to MS's plans in 2013. I'm an old bastard (late 30's), but even I've gone full digital. The convenience is totally worth any tradeoffs to me and having a digital platform enables things like this to come to fruition. Bring it on, indeed. I hope this develops into something great.

Bsigg12

not sure I really like it

1) 120 a year is a hit expensive for a rental service. we don't get to own the games.

2) Why games have to be rotated out? how long does a game last in the list. very shady imo

3) would ms now give out a lesser game for its xbox gold subs? because it now has to serve a higher tier subs?

The don't own the 3rd party games that are going to be added. It's in all likelihood contractual with those publishers. Nothing shady just business.

Head.spawn

Awesome news. I'm not jumping on board out the gate but definitely a nice mice, EA Access has treated me well so far.

I was wondering why they ate tweaking the Subscription settings in the last alpha ring, i guess this is the reason.

Well about that...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/15/playstation-now-service-update/

That announced the discontinuation of the service on almost everything other than ps4 and Windows PC. It's not going well for PS now

Wow, glad i only started a trial on my Samsung.

Toki767

If this gave 20% off any new game and not just games that are in the rotation, I'd probably subscribe for a couple months here and there.

As it is though, I think this is probably great for new Xbox owners, but for longtime fans I don't really see how they wouldn't already own a lot of the games being offered.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Nice. Day one. Have used EA access loads for trying stuff out and will use this the same. Bring on Scorpio.

Would definitely be interested in a PlayStation version of this.

EvB

If this gave 20% off any new game and not just games that are in the rotation, I'd probably subscribe for a couple months here and there.

As it is though, I think this is probably great for new Xbox owners, but for longtime fans I don't really see how they wouldn't already own a lot of the games being offered.

We'll see what happens, EA access gives you 10% off any EA purchase, maybe MS will let publishers do the same through this program.

Skux

Great idea. Makes PS Plus and PS Now look pretty weak by comparison.

Is this in addition to XBL Gold? So you have to have both to play something like NBA2K online?

Reminds me of GameTap (a similar PC service I had in 2006/7) in a good way. I'm really excited for it, but I don't know if I'll drop the money on it immediately.

Dunlop

This is only happening because I got rid of my XB1 and WiiU recently and decided to go with a single console.

Looks amazing, come with EA Access and it is truly a crazy value

Toki767

We'll see what happens, EA access gives you 10% off any EA purchase, maybe MS will let publishers do the same through this program.

Well their page explicitly says that it's 20% off games and 10% off the DLC while a game is in their rotation.

So that kind of tells you it won't be like EA's Vault.

I would actually expect Microsoft's own games to be part of this right away though.

1) 120 a year is a hit expensive for a rental service. we don't get to own the games.

2) Why games have to be rotated out? how long does a game last in the list. very shady imo

3) would ms now give out a lesser game for its xbox gold subs? because it has to a higher tier?

1. It's a rental service. Of course your not gonna own them. Netflix charges $9.99 per month and you don't own any of their content. Also $9.99 per month is not that expensive.

2. MS has to pay for game licenses to be free for rental. Some licenses are just gonna expire but you still have the option to buy them. It's not like they are erased from the store.

3. They have already said nothing is changing with Gold subs.

EvB

Well their page explicitly says that it's 20% off games and 10% off the DLC while a game is in their rotation.

So that kind of tells you it won't be like EA's Vault.

I would actually expect Microsoft's own games to be part of this right away though.

Never say never.

Not that you did

Trup1aya

3) would ms now give out a lesser game for its xbox gold subs? because it has to a higher tier?

1) Is $120 a year expensive for access to hundreds of games expensive?

I think peoples opinion will vary depending on the quality of the offering but that's the cost of two new games. Realistically, many people might end up spending less $ per year on games if this service can fulfill their needs. Especially for someone like me who finds few games are actually worth owning.

If the discounts are good enough, this could even make ownership cheaper.

2) likely the same reason movies rotate out of Netflix. Licensing agreements. It's not really shady at all, users understand it's temporary. Play the games while they are up, and buy them at a discount if you want to keep playing.

3) why would they? I'm sure they want all of their services to be appealing so that they can attract different customers with different offerings.

WadeitOut

This is more games, and instantly. PS Plus is great if you've been there since the beginning. But if you joined today you won't find nearly the same value.

Forgetting that people buy PS Plus as a required gateway for online play like Gold.

Weird comparison.

This is big. Simple to explain, no streaming, adds a lot of value for consumers. This kind of Netflix-style subscription service is always what I assumed MS would do with Xbox live at the end of the 360's lifespan. I thought they would shrink the console further, offer a version with no disc drive and a 1TB HDD and give people a way to subscribe to a menu of games. Essentially, turn Xbox Live into a platform not just a storefront and MP service. Instead, they tried to copy Steam as a platform with the launch of XB1. They could have just launched the XB1 as a traditional console and brought this model alongside it two years or so into the lifespan (exactly what they're doing now) after launching it on the 360 first.

Anyway, glad to see this happening. I can see myself picking up an Xbox now and just subscribing to the games service.

thenameDS

Great, I'll be subscribing when it comes out. I'm all digital now and with this service and EA Access I will only buy the games that I really want on release and I'll happily wait for the other to have a deep deep discount or come to one of these subscription services.

Forsythia

Just activated my trial, so I'll see how it goes!

For those in the alpha preview, check the insider hub to see if you can participate in the trial.

Malcolm9

This is more games, and instantly. PS Plus is great if you've been there since the beginning. But if you joined today you won't find nearly the same value.

So that's also the case with Xbox Gold. This service doesn't allow multiplayer, so the value in it is different.

iavi

This isn't really a service for me, but kudos to MS for it. Like someone said earlier, the numbers they see for EA Access must be real good

The value in this is 100% dependent on the games, of course.

I figure it would have to include 12 games I had legitimate desire to play (on a "might buy" level of interest) to have it be worth it.

Something along the lines of Arkham Knight, Far Cry 4, AC Syndicate, Shadow of Mordor, and then a handful of indie-type games.

EvB

PS+ also doesn't cost an extra $120 a year on top of itself.

Neither does Xbox Live gold if you wanna go down that route :p

I think what he was saying is that neither Xbox Gold or PS+ are gateways to playing games themselves, beyond being a mandated requirement to play online.\

However EA access and now Xbox Game pass give you immediate access to a shit ton of games. It will take you 2 years of Subscription to GWG to get that many games and 4 years of PS+.

Look at any of the numerous (tedious) "I've just bought a Xbox One" threads that there are. Everyone always says the same thing, grab EA access as you'll get loads to play.
Now you've got the option for even more.

EvB

that membership tab is literally all you see there, 9 games and links to the different apps

It pulls the games owned as subscriptions from your ready to install list now (which was that guy's gripe), you either install them via the app or have them installed.

What is funnier is that this has broken the insider app for me, I've deleted it and it has now vanished altogether!

Santar

Sadly this is how most gamers view their games. This is GAF, so most of us are an exception, but GameStop has been profiting for years off of players who finish a game and get rid of it immediately after. We are heading towards gaming as a service because companies view that as a more reliable method of bringing in revenue (I suppose it kind of is). It sucks, but I don't see any way to avoid it.

Even on Neogaf I'd say the majority don't care about owning their games, just look at the positive response in this thread. It's a sad future (possible) ahead of us.

Hmm this seems really great.

Your move now Sony. Maybe roll into PSNow but PS4 titles being downloadable. Sure you look reactionary but this is pretty big and I can see a large audience for it.

Truthfully, this is what I had hoped PS+ and then PSNow would be: a Netflix style subscription service.

Alx

Not a bad concept, but it makes you dependent on the relatively short list of games available. Not sure I'd be confident there will be enough games I like in there, but time will tell.

timlot

Banned
As cool as this is, it's a sign that MS are trying to sneak all digital future in through the back door imo. I won't forget E3 2013

Microsoft was to have sold he Xbox division by now if you look at was written in the past. Yet they keep chugging along. We are already in a digital future. You can go buy every movie (even Netflix originals) on dvd/bluray if you want to. Or pay $10/month and stream it. Same with this xbox service. More choices is always a good thing imo.

Even on Neogaf I'd say the majority don't care about owning their games, just look at the positive response in this thread. It's a sad future (possible) ahead of us.

But just like EA Access, nothing is stopping anyone from owning the games. It's not like these games are being pulled off the market or anything.

Top Bottom