• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

Zeta Oni

With the price hike of ps+ Sony should at least give subscribers access to the PS3 titles via psnow if it's a supported game.

Assuming the catalog will be better once ms figures out the contracts with various publishers. Heh

Keep in mind that list is for alpha testers in the preview program. The actual Game Pass launch is gonna have more than 4x that.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The only bummer for me with the physical route is the valley my PS2 fell in by not having HDMI out. My KS8000 has no support for component or composite, so right now that generation sits as a paperweight under my TV until I splurge on a Framemeister.

I'm sure once PS2 reaches NES levels of ancient there'll be a Retron-type console for you to play all those games. Lol

But unless we reach that PS9-commercial future quicker than anticipated, your current gen games will probably look fine on HDMI's successor.

Chris1

Keep in mind that list is for alpha testers in the preview program. The actual Game Pass launch is gonna have more than 4x that.

+ It's free for preview owners atm. They won't want to give away the big third party games for free, that'll be why most are first party too.

gamz

Also, keep in mind that pubs will jump at this. Much better then getting nothing from gamestop. At least you have a chance of a large pool of people buying the game for 10 bucks before it rotates out.

Shirow

Banned
SO is a great game no doubt, but you can buy a copy for $10 and own it. You don't need to pay $10 a month to rent it.
You must have stood in front of blockbuster back in the day and be like: Stop renting movies!!! So you know you can own them?!?!??! God!!!!

Lol

Trup1aya

Unless every publisher gets in on this to fight off used games I don't think Sony will make a move, but I'm sure they have an eye on this right now.

Great idea business wise for Microsoft, but I'm super negative about digital games.

I want to own a tangible copy in case shit goes down and the services are unavailable.

I always be able to just pop the disk in and play old skool.

On another note:

Microsoft is really sneaky. They're slowly retracing their plans from the Xbone reveal.

And lol @ GameStop. That's a bitch.

Sneaky?

If THIS is what they presented at the reveal they wouldn't have suffered a backlash.

Instead of taking away people ability to own/resell their games, they are offering a compelling ALTERNATIVE that COEXISTS with the traditional business model.

I figure this is a good place to plug that Bing rewards might be fantastic for this. Right now you can earn points to redeem on Xbox Live memberships and Groove Music. It seems likely that they'll also let you redeem points for Xbox Game Pass memberships once it launches!

Chris1

What is the list of games?

This is what's available for preview members atm. No idea about when it officially launches. But based on the pic in the OP we can expect Payday 2, Lego Batman, NBA, Mad Max etc.

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
OF: Dragon Rising
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

Edit: Bolded are Xbox One games

people keep saying Well your move Sony..

Sony most likely won't do shit, because they know they have the highest market share right now with 50 million consoles sold and the highest platform for software as well, they sadly won't give a shit even though we want them to.

This a good move to service the Xbox crowd, and Xbox gamers deserve something cool from them as well.

That being said, I don't think Sony gives a shit. Not totally because they are the market leader, but because of the games that coming out on PS4. Since the beginning of the new year it's been hit after hit.

But this just something to try and get some good will out of their consumers. And a good one.

Me personally, I couldn't care less as I have about 8 subs I'm paying for and not looking for more. Especially when there is no way I could or would play these games.
But good on MS for trying something new.
But if they are looking to counter Zelda or Horizon, they would have to try a lot harder.

gamz

This a good move to service the Xbox crowd, and Xbox gamers deserve something cool from them as well.

That being said, I don't think Sony gives a shit. Not totally because they are the market leader, but because of the games that coming out on PS4. Since the beginning of the new year it's been hit after hit.

But this just something to try and get some good will out of their consumers. And a good one.

Me personally, I couldn't care less as I have about 8 subs I'm paying for and not looking for more. Especially when there is no way I could or would play these games.
But good on MS for trying something new.
But if they are looking to counter Zelda or Horizon, they would have to try a lot harder.

That's a crappy way to treat it's consumers.

Trup1aya

SO is a great game no doubt, but you can buy a copy for $10 and own it. You don't need to pay $10 a month to rent it.

Are you aware Your comparing owning 1 $10 games to being able to choose between 100+ games to play for just $10?

When this person has their fill of SO they can move onto something else.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If games cycle in and out, this seems far less attractive.

If it was just a pool of games that continued to grow, then its worth it. With games cycling in and out, I'm fine with my 4 free games from Gold.

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
OF: Dragon Rising
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

Edit: Bolded are Xbox One games

Thanks, Zeta.

Zasa

This sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good.

If I buy a Scorpio, this'll definitely be one of my first purchases pending the intital full game list. Not a chance I even had 10% of PS3/360's full catalogue of multi-platform games. So this'll do to catch up on that & not wait for remasters.

gamz

If games cycle in and out, this seems far less attractive.

If it was just a pool of games that continued to grow, then its worth it. With games cycling in and out, I'm fine with my 4 free games from Gold.

It's the same for Netflix. Except they don't give you the option to buy the movie before it cycles out. Which I never understood and why doesn't Netflix offer a rental service like Amazon? Anyway....

That's a crappy way to treat it's consumers.

By not copying MS? I played Horizon for the first time last night.. They love me!!

But seriously, they don't need to copy everything they do. Why won't MS copy them and see a game through to the end!? If you ask me, that's an even more crappier way to treat your consumers. But nice try man :p

Demoskinos

I'm a total Sony fan but boy I have to admit THIS is huge. A really bold move on MS part. My big question though is do they keep the Gold program with XBL subs?

Somnia

By not copying MS? I played Horizon for the first time last night.. They love me!!

But seriously, they don't need to copy everything they do. Why won't MS copy them and see a game through to the end!? If you ask me, that's an even more crappier way to treat your consumers. But nice try man :p

People constantly saying this is getting old, but I'm not going to get into this crap system war back and forth about which one "treats" me right when both want my money and I buy games to play games, not because it's on a Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo system.

gamz

No, by giving consumer choices. You know pro-consumer. Like EA access and what not.

If you are saying Sony doesn't give a shit that's a problem.

Sneaky?

If THIS is what they presented at the reveal they wouldn't have suffered a backlash.

Instead of taking away people ability to own/resell their games, they are offering a compelling ALTERNATIVE that COEXISTS with the traditional business model.

Yup. In an alternative timeline, if they had come out with stuff like this + homeshare and the other basic design choices of the Xbox, it probably would have smashed PS4.

Part of the whole reason theyre offering this though is that theyre playing catch up. Competition is always good for consumers, period.

Great move Msoft. I might start using my dusty XBONE again!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's the same for Netflix. Except they don't give you the option to buy the movie before it cycles out. Which I never understood and why doesn't Netflix offer a rental service like Amazon? Anyway....

But right now Microsoft are giving me around 50 free games per year with my existing subscription. Half of which I keep permanently.

Which begs the question. How does this work for 360? Do the 360 games on this become accessible on a 360?

I'm not interested in the Microsoft ecosystem personally, but I gave this a read and yea nice one ms. This is pretty cool for you Xbox One owners. Hope you get a good range of games. Netflix style service sounds sweet and the price is decent too.

WarpathDC

So you can sub to EA Access, Origin Access, and Xbox Gamepass for the same price as one psnow sub. Will Sony cave? I've tried their trial. Cool idea but I wouldn't pay more than 5 a month to stream old games that I can't use my cloud saves or dlc with

Ding II

Well, this seems interesting. At least in concept. Execution will be everything.

The whole "cycling out of the service" thing may be a deal breaker for me, but it'll depend on how quickly or often this happens. I do most of my gaming with a couple buddies of mine, playing online co-op games. We'll jointly decide which game we want to play next, buy it, and then play it until we finish it or lose interest. Then we pick a new game. We only play 6 hours per week, so it can take us months to get through (or just get tired of) some games. If a game got "cycled out" while we were in the middle of playing it, that would suck.

Hopefully the drop dead date for each game will be clearly indicated, several months in advance.

And of course, the library has to be good. Duh. The place-holder lists we've seen so far are not appealing to me at all. I'm either un-interested in the games, or I've already played them. I remain hopeful that the real list will contain some games I actually want to play.

Along those lines, I'm a little worried that limiting the service to "only" 100 games at a time may result in there only being a handful of games of actual interest to me and my friends. At that point, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy those select few games on Amazon.

It's interesting to realise that if I hadn't already spent thousands(!?) of dollars over the last 12 years, buying the 360 and XB1 games that looked good to me at the time, this service would be a no brainer! The entire selection would be new to me, and so cheap! I wonder if that's the real audience that MS is targeting with this service: People that are new to the Live ecosystem. Interesting concept.

EmiPrime

This service isn't for me (already got a large Xbox collection) but this is exactly the sort of thing Microsoft should be doing. Kudos.

AmuroChan

Are you aware Your comparing owning 1 $10 games to being able to choose between 100+ games to play for just $10?

When this person has their fill of SO they can move onto something else.

Yes, but that's not what I'm responding to. The poster I responded to said SO is worth the admission alone. The 100+ games catalog? Sure, but I disagree that SO alone is worth the admission.

You must have stood in front of blockbuster back in the day and be like: Stop renting movies!!! So you know you can own them?!?!??! God!!!!

Lol

What is blockbuster? Nor familiar.

Welfare

This is what's available for preview members atm. No idea about when it officially launches. But based on the pic in the OP we can expect Payday 2, Lego Batman, NBA, Mad Max etc.

Oh my, some of those games I haven't played yet.

I might just need to support this. lol

c0de

So you can sub to EA Access, Origin Access, and Xbox Gamepass for the same price as one psnow sub. Will Sony cave? I've tried their trial. Cool idea but I wouldn't pay more than 5 a month to stream old games that I can't use my cloud saves or dlc with

Well, Sony has to pay for infrastructure of their service which is quite substantial, I'd guess.

Is there any list of those games available even for alpha owners?

On the store you can see it, I believe some already posted.

Fake edit, Here:

- A Kingdom for Keflings
- Banjo 1
- Comic Jumper
- Defense Grid 2
- Gears Judgement
- Gears Ultimate
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Hexic 2
- Jetpac Refuelled
- Kameo
- Max: The Curse Of Brotherhood
- Monday Night Combat
- Ms. Splosion Man
- OF: Dragon Rising
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Sacred 3
- Sam & Max
- Sunset Overdrive
- The Maw
- Viva Pinata

AmuroChan

Isn't PS Now $99 for one year? or did they raise the price?

Top Bottom