• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm too lazy to read through all that text so I'll just ask one simple question: is it only for movie playback, or for games as well?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Xbox 360 is on track to be the fastest-selling video game console ever, forecast to ship between 4.5 million and 5.5 million units worldwide by the end of June 2006.

Blessed are the PR goons, for they make me laugh so very much.

PG2G

Sounds good to me. That means i am covered for all next gen movie formats by buying a ~$150 addon and a PS3.

n64dd7bs.jpg

"Hey guys, did you hear the news?"

dcdvd7sk.jpg

"No, what is it?"

32x1co.jpg

"We're going to have a NEW FRIEND!"

snescdrom2wo.jpg

"Oh yay!!!"

Avtomat

mckmas8808 said:
Stupid as fuck.

Why ? Fragmentation, not if all games are released on DVD. With the next gen TVs integrating cell i assume that the propsed hi-def content that will be pushed is going to require significant amounts of processing power, which is just sitting ther on the X360.

VALIS

Maybe some of you kids can explain why you think this was a bad move instead of just going "zomglololol!!" and wasting everyone's time. Should they have revised the 360 to include a HD-DVD drive? That doesn't seem like a very good idea, either. I dunno, I don't follow nor care about the next gen format wars at this point, so I have no idea why this is good or not good.

sangreal

So is it supposed to be USB or what?

As long as its not for games I really dont give a shit about it either way. No different than the Panasonic GC

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6018529.html

Along with Vista, Gates is also expected to make his case for HD DVD--one of two competing formats for next-generation DVDs. Gates will announce Microsoft's plans to offer an external HD DVD drive that can connect to the recently released Xbox 360 game console.

By offering the drive as an Xbox add-on, Microsoft is hoping to win over consumers with a cheaper option than buying an all-new device to play next-generation Blu-Ray or HD DVD discs. Gates is also expected to demonstrate how the format's guaranteed ability to allow secure copies will allow DVD purchases to be used throughout the digital home.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
colinisation said:
Why ? Fragmentation, not if all games are released on DVD. With the next gen TVs integrating cell i assume that the propsed hi-def content that will be pushed is going to require significant amounts of processing power, which is just sitting ther on the X360.
It also requires an HDMI port which isn't there and is rather shitty without the 1080p output option to begin with.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
So what are the chances of a newer combo HD-DVD 360 pack? I mean premium or no premium they would all just get "retard packed" like that.

That would actually be a pretty sweet deal.

crunker99

ah boy this can go either way.. they CANNOT be stupid enough to release HDDVD games

can they?

OH PLEASE MS DONT BE SO DUMB

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I dont understand how do they label it as external. Isnt it just a HD DVD player that needs the xbox 360 to work :\

lips

el oh el

...!!

mmm, tis the yule tide christmas goose, and tis hd drive is christmas gravy, ofcourse...

Jonnyram

crunker99 said:
ah boy this can go either way.. they CANNOT be stupid enough to release HDDVD games
No. It's got nothing to do with games... this thread is just typical GAF overreaction.

Orin said:
I dont understand how do they label it as external. Isnt it just a HD DVD player that needs the xbox 360 to work :\
For all we know, it may just be a USB HD-DVD player that is branded with the 360 styling.

crunker99 said:

can they?

OH PLEASE MS DONT BE SO DUMB

I doubt they will...that's insta-Sega-CD action right there... Still, seems like a waste of time to me. I suppose it might be a nice less expensive alternative to buying a dedicated player...but...still...

BigBoss

VALIS said:
Maybe some of you kids can explain why you think this was a bad move instead of just going "zomglololol!!" and wasting everyone's time. Should they have revised the 360 to include a HD-DVD drive? That doesn't seem like a very good idea, either. I dunno, I don't follow nor care about the next gen format wars at this point, so I have no idea why this is good or not good.

How about this? Instead of having a rushed launch Microsoft should've waited a couple more months so that every Xbox 360 would have an HD-DVD drive and games could be shipped on HD-DVD discs as well.

Future proof indeed.

Redbeard

Banned
BigBoss said:
How about this? Instead of having a rushed launch Microsoft should've waited a couple more months so that every Xbox 360 would have an HD-DVD drive and games could be shipped on HD-DVD discs as well.

Future proof indeed.

And the console would be $100 more than it is already. That'd be great!

Norse

I bet they release the external drive and then have hd-dvd drives inside all x360's within a yr from then. Perhaps even when ps3 launches in North America. It wont add to the gaming any way so why not just have an external one for 200 bucks? No price was given, but if its cheap enough, it gets more on the hd-dvd movie bandwagon.

Now how are they going to make it look cool and be functional with a x360 that can stand or lay on its side? hmmmm

Top Bottom