• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

Raistlin

sonycowboy said:
You think there is any chance at all that Microsoft will sell "millions"? I think it's a show of force to the movie studios, computer manufacturers, and consumer electronics companies that HD-DVD is THEIR CHOICE. And if you aren't with them, you are against them, and that's not where you want to be. It's more of a brave front, and to put doubt about the viability of Blu-Ray in the PS3, than an attempt to make the 360 plaform more valuable.

When Microsoft makes such a declarative statement as they have with HD-DVD (many articles the past couple of days have gone so far as to say that Microsoft took over the HD-DVD CES press conference), it's intended to make people stand up and take notice. Microsoft RARELY backs a loser.

I don't see how MS can really have any say though. Unless you are proposing they will attempt to prevent BluRay from running on Windows PCs, what can they do to stop it? This isn't the usual situation where they can strong-arm a couple of small companies trying to make some noise - pretty much everyone has some level of support for BluRay (especially in the PC world). They can't just make enemies of everyone - especially DELL and HP.

'Native OS support' is somewhat meaningless here - I think most people can handle using a CD to install drivers. Even if Windows Media Player doesn't support BluRay either, the people that will be buying this initally are sophisticated enough to d/l a codec or media player that can handle it. They probably won't even need to anyway ... I wouldn't be surprised if many of the BluRay drives will be packaged with some sort of player software, and certainly nearly all PC sold with BluRay alrady in them will come with all the necessary software.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
gofreak said:
I've skimmed the thread, and sorry if it was answered already, but if they can't find a way to get HDCP-compliant digital video out of the main X360 box, you're looking at the add-on basically needing to be a fully-fledged HD-DVD player (with drive, decoding hardware, HDMI-out) on its own?

That is correct...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
PS3 should have a standerd HDD as well in order to:
A) diminish any perceived "advantage" X360 may have hardware wise,
B) making games that use the Sony HDD harder to port to X360 (since not all X360 systems have a HDD),
C) Sony can say "we've got more power, a HDD & a next generation format all built-in" in order to thwart any efforts by X360 and make it simple by saying it's ALL in there and built-in from the get-go UNLIKE X360,
D) justify a higher price ($500),
E) offer Linux on the HDD so that they can jump to this living room "mecca" both companies have been striving for and threaten MS on all fronts (not just gaming, movies...but also in the OS realm) and
F) make setting up this promiced Sony "network" alot easier and thusly taking away one of the biggest advantages MS has (XBL)

rod

Banned
ok n00b question, can hd dvd be played through component at all? if no, no hd movies for me! be it blu ray or hd dvd :D

Sagitario

rod said:
ok n00b question, can hd dvd be played through component at all? if no, no hd movies for me! be it blu ray or hd dvd :D

Played... of course... but it wont be a 720 or 1080 signal... it will play in 480p...

serio

Banned
gownoz7gv.jpg

:lol

Top Bottom