• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

Blaster1X

Banned
DCharlie said:
no, there is no price announcement for the add on , or the PS3.

HOWEVER, the base HD-DVD player is in at $499 - now, as long as the add on comes in under $499 (!) then there is some sort of saving available!

:D
This makes me happy and proud as you don't necessarily have to buy the hd-dvd player and a later model is not planned, but then again, hd-dvd technology wasn't planned for the 360 but there you go and addon cameout.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Blaster1X said:
IMAGE_VIEW.GIF
pfft...junkwaffle contributes more to this forum with one post than you do with 50.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think the reason the HD-DVD player is not in the X360 is because months ago, it was looking like BR was going to win based on the amount of support it was getting. I think MS did not want to marry the X360 to the HD-DVD technology for fear that if it were contained in the XBOX 360 from the get-go and HD-DVD fails, then the X360 would have a big negative associated with it from there on out. Essentially, the X360 HD-DVD player will be able to compete in the marketplace as an independent player in the format war, and the X360 can remain being focused on being a games console.

Bottom line for me: I will get an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player when the war is won by one or the other.

Blaster1X

Banned
bishoptl said:
pfft...junkwaffle contributes more to this forum with one post than you do with 50.
I'm not in a posting contest with anyone.. I'm sure he creates great posts. the post I replayed to was a image about ' will a HD-DVD add-on help in japan.. funny as it is... my opinion is I think it was little trollish.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DenogginizerOS said:
I think the reason the HD-DVD player is not in the X360 is because months ago, it was looking like BR was going to win based on the amount of support it was getting. I think MS did not want to marry the X360 to the HD-DVD technology for fear that if it were contained in the XBOX 360 from the get-go and HD-DVD fails, then the X360 would have a big negative associated with it from there on out. Essentially, the X360 HD-DVD player will be able to compete in the marketplace as an independent player in the format war, and the X360 can remain being focused on being a games console.
MS has been fraternizing with the HD-DVD camp for quite awhile now and attempting to bolster their position through a number of actions. They've committed to building support into Vista for it. If they're willing to back it in their bread and butter OS segment, I doubt fear of failure would be the reason why they didn't back it with OOTB support in the X360. More than likely it probably just came down to timing - MS didn't want to budge from 2005 launch of the X360 and HD-DVD spec wasn't finalized by this time. Meanwhile, Vista is a late a 2006 product and the HD-DVD spec should definitely be finalized well before that.

AniHawk

Blaster1X said:
I'm not in a posting contest with anyone.. I'm sure he creates great posts. the post I replayed to was a image about ' will a HD-DVD add-on help in japan.. funny as it is... my opinion is I think it was little trollish.

Oh my. A little trollish.

DenogginizerOS

kaching said:
MS has been fraternizing with the HD-DVD camp for quite awhile now and attempting to bolster their position through a number of actions. They've committed to building support into Vista for it. If they're willing to back it in their bread and butter OS segment, I doubt fear of failure would be the reason why they didn't back it with OOTB support in the X360. More than likely it probably just came down to timing - MS didn't want to budge from 2005 launch of the X360 and HD-DVD spec wasn't finalized by this time. Meanwhile, Vista is a late a 2006 product and the HD-DVD spec should definitely be finalized well before that.

True. PC Magazine just published a report stating that Microsoft officials have not ruled out Blu-Ray support. They close the article by postulating how better consumers would be if an agreement could have been reached between the two warring parties. It really saddens me that this format war has come into gaming.

Link to article

Blaster1X

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
It really saddens me that this format war has come into gaming.
Since only one console uses a HD player (Does Revolution use a HD player?) I don't think it really matters to videogame consoles in general.

DenogginizerOS

Blaster1X said:
Since only one console uses a HD player (Does Revolution use a HD player?) I don't think it really matters to videogame consoles in general.

Which begs the question then, "Why is this thread so long and bitter if this format war and the fact XBOX 360 will have an optional HD-DVD player available has no impact on gaming consoles?"

Blaster1X

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
Which begs the question then, "Why is this thread so long and bitter if this format war and the fact XBOX 360 will have an optional HD-DVD player available has no impact on gaming consoles?"
I'm sure you know the answer...

some are hoping down the road developers will use it.

As of now i'm just happy to be able to pick up a HD player for a reasonable price.. considering image quality of both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are the same.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DenogginizerOS said:
True. PC Magazine just published a report stating that Microsoft officials have not ruled out Blu-Ray support. They close the article by postulating how better consumers would be if an agreement could have been reached between the two warring parties. It really saddens me that this format war has come into gaming.
*shrug* Format wars are commonplace across IT and CE markets - many times they manage to sort themselves out without too much pain to the consumer. There's already been announcements of chips that support both BD and HDDVD and players that would play both discs, for example.

And the game console marketplace has been aggressively competitive for several generations of hardware, with competitors touting ANY competitive edge they can. Game consoles are the very definition of proprietary - I don't see how BD/HDDVD being in the equation makes things anymore sad than they have been.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
What are the chances of dual-format HD drives coming into the market in '07? This way, people won't have to decide.

Mrbob

I have to admit it is a bit surprising that gamers on a gaming message board don't like the upcoming movie format 'war'.

Why have 2 or 3 different consoles doing the same thing? Why spend over 1000 bucks on hardware where if Nintendo, Sony, and MS reached some sort of agreement we could get all games on a 300 to 400 dollar piece of hardware. If anything this movie 'war' will help drive prices down, and help bring Blu Ray in the limelight as the format of choice sooner than later. Let the strongest format win!

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
I have to admit it is a bit surprising that gamers on a gaming message board don't like the upcoming movie format 'war'.

Why have 2 or 3 different consoles doing the same thing? Why spend over 1000 bucks on hardware where if Nintendo, Sony, and MS reached some sort of agreement we could get all games on a 300 to 400 dollar piece of hardware. If anything this movie 'war' will help drive prices down, and help bring Blu Ray in the limelight as the format of choice sooner than later. Let the strongest format win!

I like movies MUCH more than games. A format war will always be the absolute worst case scenario for movies, delaying mass adoption of a format by years, and perhaps even permanately. There is zero to benefit to the consumer, because the PRICES will drop down on their own even with one format, guaranteed. And no, it doesn't make prices drop down faster. All this does is divide the format, the content, the consumer, and creates lasting division that can sour mainstream audiences for years.

People who want such a thing to occur make me cry inside.

3rdman

monkeyrun said:
I still don't understand why MS hired him. Any college fresh grads would be a better a choice.

Hell, why would a multi-million dollar company bother with hiring personel with worldwide console experience, Japanese connections, and know-how when they can get anybody fresh from college! Brilliant!

Better yet, lets hire you...you clearly have all the answers.

if you think peter moore has any idea what he's doing then you're delusional. the man is an idiot. all that experience and all those "japanese" connections did wonders for the dreamcast here, eh?

It's either Maruyama or Moore who will take the fall for the disaster in Japan.

Unfortunately, it's Maruyama who will get the axe first even though Moore deserves it just as much. Has any Western executive spent so much time talking about the importance of Japan, the need to correct past mistakes and the importance of building a Japan-centric software library only to fail so spectacularly?

The ad campaign for Japan was so misguided it's nearly inconceivable. And putting an XBOX lounge in Omotesando was like relocating CBGB to Times Square.

xsarien

daedsiluap
3rdman said:
Hell, why would a multi-million dollar company bother with hiring personel with worldwide console experience, Japanese connections, and know-how when they can get anybody fresh from college! Brilliant!

A lot of good all that did the XBox in Japan, huh?

3rdman

indianajonz said:
if you think peter moore has any idea what he's doing then you're delusional. the man is an idiot. all that experience and all those "japanese" connections did wonders for the dreamcast here, eh?

Peter Moore became president and COO of SOA in 2000...after the launch of the DC. But, please don't let me get in the way with facts...its far easier to blame and point fingers and nobody does that better than GAF.

i understand that, and i need no history lesson from you. but he was brought in to turn things around and failed miserably. even worse than bernie stolar, who i personally met incedentally... facts are fun :)

xsarien said:
did it hurt them?

obviously there were multiple reasons why xbox failed in japan, just cause they did one thing right and still fell short doesnt mean it was a waste of time.

3rdman

xsarien said:

If memory serves, he didn't join MS until after the Xbox launch, no? As for present day 360 performance, well...its too early to tell. Lets at least wait until the high profile RPG's get out before its a complete failure.

3rdman

indianajonz said:
i understand that, and i need no history lesson from you. but he was brought in to turn things around and failed miserably. even worse than bernie stolar, who i personally met incedentally... facts are fun :)

In 2000, EA had long decided not to support them, Sega had a terrible history with customers, and Sony launch a little console called the PS2. How in the hell do you "turn things around" when an elephant is pulling you in another direction?

3rdman said:
In 2000, EA had long decided not to support them, Sega had a terrible history with customers, and Sony launch a little console called the PS2. How in the hell do you "turn things around" when an elephant is pulling you in another direction? Jesus.

Don't bother. They are on full FUD mode. Logic does not fit into those.

anyway i do not wish to debate the history of the ridiculous sega dreamcast with the likes of you at this time. i merely mention that peter moore is a senseless fool. i know he probably had little to do with the decision to launch an add on hd-dvd system, but at the end of the day he will be the scapegoat when it fails miserably.

consider this:
they have shortages which are of epic and historic proportions. they have released almost no new games since launch. now they feel they must "add" hd-dvd to catch up with a system that's not even released yet. do you think in redmond somewhere someone is thinking, "man, maybe we should have waitied and launched in the spring"...? they could have launched in march or april with hd-dvd built in, a nice crop of games, a healthy supply of hardware, and they would have had a great success. but peter moore and company felt it would be better to go in another direction...

indianajonz said:
so then if all was lost, using your logic why did they bring moore in??? if all was lost then wtf was the point? Jesus!

By that then, the sales in JP for DC was such a sad state that Sega was planning to exit the traditional console manufacturer role at that point (Naka and others hinted at set top boxes or portable DC with the casual announcement of the SOC version of DC architecture on many occassions), and would have still needed a good CEO to lead them in whatever role they morphed the company into.

It just happend that MS was about to enter the console scene as a maunfacturer and decided to head hunt Moore as he was to lead Sega into that new role. Like all execs that are pretty much free-agents, Moore took that opportunity and went on to greener pastures.

indianajonz said:
anyway i do not wish to debate the history of the ridiculous sega dreamcast with the likes of you at this time. i merely mention that peter moore is a senseless fool. i know he probably had little to do with the decision to launch an add on hd-dvd system, but at the end of the day he will be the scapegoat when it fails miserably.

consider this:
they have shortages which are of epic and historic proportions. they have released almost no new games since launch. now they feel they must "add" hd-dvd to catch up with a system that's not even released yet. do you think in redmond somewhere someone is thinking, "man, maybe we should have waitied and launched in the spring"...? they could have launched in march or april with hd-dvd built in, a nice crop of games, a healthy supply of hardware, and they would have had a great success. but peter moore and company felt it would be better to go in another direction...

Jesus man. Do you really think PS3 having BR play capability was a news to MS back when they were designing the X360? Or the launch timeframe of BR? They knew all about this shit WAY before you read about them for the first time on an internet messageboard.

They consciously decided to keep HD-DVD out of the core machine because it would have made the machine even more expensive than it is already. They needed to strike a balance between reletive low cost and power. Launching 4 months later and then including HD-DVD drive in the X360 would have raised the price of the machine and/or would have compromised other components to make up for the cost (namely the RAM count, but possibley the clockspeed of the chips to increase the yields to lower the costs on those parts as well).

And what would the inclusion of the HD-DVD drive really have gotten them? Consider:

- MS has no personal stake in the HD-DVD standard itself like Sony does with BR.
- HD-DVD is no where a guarantee of a success (many here would argue that it's guaranteed to fail). If it does fails, then you could not hope to lower the cost of that part over time, making it a huge future cost risk.
- The DVD replacements are launching in mid 2006 amongst a bitter format war, and will not help to bolster the sale of your console to a significant degree until at least year 3 or 4 when the winner would have been declaired and the media and the hardware would have been solidly established into the market, which would be 2009~2010. By then, the sales trend for the next gen console race would have been solidly established. Too late for the HD-DVD nor the BR drive to make a solid contribution to that console race.

NOT including the HD-DVD drive into X360 was a smart decision, not a short sighted mistake, no matter how much you loons rage on about it in this thread.

m0dus said:
LOL foolish Xbot, cry your crocodile tears with your pathetic whining and silly "logic" :lol

It's like trying to reason with a wet towel, Shog. In the end, they're just a festering mass of sweat and bacteria.

That analogy didn't really go anywhere, did it?

So . . . videogames. . .

Speaking of videogames, FN3 demo is really surprising the hell out of me for it's playablity. @_0 This might end up being an awesome game. I'm also excited about playing other demos at CES, like Burnout and Dead Riding.

But that's another thread. This one is for festering mass of sweat and bacteria (and I'm all out of Bactine...).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Shogmaster said:
Speaking of videogames, FN3 demo is really surprising the hell out of me for it's playablity.

;_;

Thats the one reason why I want the 360 at this point in time. Fight Night 3 will be mine!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200601/N06.0106.1235.53927.htm

GI: Last night one of your biggest announcements concerned an external HD-DVD drive. How are you going to connect this to your 360?

Moore: It’s actually several ways we’re working on right now. I’m not going to give you any details, but we built this box with a view to - and J Allard being the guy that really has done the thinking - to the flexibility of where life will be in 2007, 2008, 2009. We call it future proofing. So the ways that you can connect - there are a number of different ways - I don’t want to get into it right now. The most obvious sat right in the front there.

GI: The USB?

Moore: USB. You could absolutely do it. But we may or may not choose that route.

GI: Will it be used for games?

Moore: Right now it is movie playback. It is all about implementing HD-DVD movies for your Xbox 360. Allowing you, and I know I’ll buy one, if you want to watch an HD-DVD movie, don’t want to have to go out and buy another player. Although as cool as the Toshiba one was for $499, that’s just another piece of hardware on my shelf. And I’ve already got a lot of what I need inside that box. I just need a drive. That’s what I’ll do.

GI: But won’t that drive just be another piece of hardware on your shelf? I mean why not just get an external player?

Moore: No, my view of that drive is either something you can tuck behind, or it’s there. I can put it in a drawer if I’m not using it. I don’t know if you saw the HD-DVD player. That’s a big box. Think of an external DVD drive on a laptop. Think of it in those terms that you just put it away. I don’t know. I am philosophizing at this point, but think of it in those terms and the important thing is you don’t have to buy it. People are delighted with this thing. But there’s all those guys out there, and I’ll be one of them, that have spent some money on their home about having a really nice theater setup. And I’ll want to watch it. And I bought a 360, and I want to watch it, and I can almost guarantee you that an external drive’s going to be a lot less than a standalone player. I don’t know, but conventional wisdom would assume that it would be. And I’m in business.

GI: So why not announce at E3 that you’re coming out with a new version of the 360 with an HD-DVD drive?

Moore: How would you feel about that?

GI: I’d be pretty pissed off because I’ve already spent $400. (laughs) So it’s not to say you guys won’t have something next holiday?

Moore: I never say never. But it doesn’t make a lot of sense. The key is you built a house. We’ve spent a lot of money building a house. And because you want a third garage you don’t go and buy a new house. You add on the third garage to the two you’ve already got. You just take advantage that you’ve got the basic infrastructure. You’ve invested in it. It does a lot for you. You add on the third garage. And that’s what we’re talking about here.

Weeeeeeeeee!

3rdman

indianajonz said:

consider this:

You're agreeing with me then...OK. Also, I guess you were hoping to see an HD-DVD enabled 360 because you were going to buy one...right? I mean...you wouldn't wait for a BR movie player if MS did everything the way you wanted or am I just being pessimistic?

Also, funny how in the end, HD-DVD will have launched first and yet its MS that is "catching up." :p
indianajonz said:
they have shortages which are of epic and historic proportions.

:lol Forget about a future in economics or merketing. Go for a major in theater.

Borys

Banned
Petah Mooran said:
Right now it is movie playback. It is all about implementing HD-DVD movies for your Xbox 360. Allowing you, and I know I’ll buy one, if you want to watch an HD-DVD movie, don’t want to have to go out and buy another player. Although as cool as the Toshiba one was for $499, that’s just another piece of hardware on my shelf. And I’ve already got a lot of what I need inside that box. I just need a drive. That’s what I’ll do.

:lol :lol :lol

This throws like the 99% of damage control posts from this thread in the trashcan.

Borys said:
:lol :lol :lol

This throws like the 99% of damage control posts from this thread in the trashcan.

Not if all they might possibly do in the future is releasing a single HD-DVD version of the multi DVD games. All our "damage control" works fine as long as no HD-DVD only games are released. :p

BlueTsunami

GI: I’d be pretty pissed off because I’ve already spent $400. (laughs) So it’s not to say you guys won’t have something next holiday?

Moore: I never say never. But it doesn’t make a lot of sense. The key is you built a house. We’ve spent a lot of money building a house. And because you want a third garage you don’t go and buy a new house. You add on the third garage to the two you’ve already got. You just take advantage that you’ve got the basic infrastructure. You’ve invested in it. It does a lot for you. You add on the third garage. And that’s what we’re talking about here.

Nice

3rdman

Its fun to bold things.

BlueTsunami

3rdman said:
Its fun to bold things.

Considering its Peter Moore, the guy thats saying Japan has gone well for the 360, his definition of "doesn't make alot of sense" is something different entirely.

Edit: Yes it fun to bold things, glad your joining in

Also, I would think "Never say Never" takes precedence over "doesn't make alot of sense". Why? It may not make alot of sense now, it probably will a year down the line.

3rdman said:
Its fun to bold things.

:D

Borys

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Not if all they might possibly do in the future is releasing a single HD-DVD version of the multi DVD games. All our "damage control" works fine as long as no HD-DVD only games are released. :p

You got a point there ;p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've skimmed the thread, and sorry if it was answered already, but if they can't find a way to get HDCP-compliant digital video out of the main X360 box, you're looking at the add-on basically needing to be a fully-fledged HD-DVD player (with drive, decoding hardware, HDMI-out) on its own?

Moore: No, my view of that drive is either something you can tuck behind, or it’s there. I can put it in a drawer if I’m not using it. I don’t know if you saw the HD-DVD player. That’s a big box. Think of an external DVD drive on a laptop. Think of it in those terms that you just put it away. I don’t know. I am philosophizing at this point, but think of it in those terms and the important thing is you don’t have to buy it. People are delighted with this thing. But there’s all those guys out there, and I’ll be one of them, that have spent some money on their home about having a really nice theater setup. And I’ll want to watch it. And I bought a 360, and I want to watch it, and I can almost guarantee you that an external drive’s going to be a lot less than a standalone player. I don’t know, but conventional wisdom would assume that it would be. And I’m in business.

Holy damn, every one back away from that guy. He's in business!

Love this guy.

Yusaku

I'm late to the party here, I've only thumbed through a few pages of this thread.

I think most people here are looking at this from "what can HD-DVD do for Xbox 360?" But really the question is "What can Xbox 360 do for HD-DVD?"

This complete's Xbox 360's role as a trojan horse for Microsoft's media agenda. Getting millions of Xbox 360's in American homes is a no brainer. It's automatic. Offer those millions of people an affordable entrance to HD movies, compared to stand-alone players, and get them to upgrade to Windows Vista... Bam, Microsoft suddenly has millions of people on board their digital media train.

This really does nothing for the 360 as a gaming platform, or even as competition to the PS3. It's purely about media. There's a reason why it was announced at CES and not E3.

It's too bad it's a rather clunky solution though, with the USB cable. What if you're using the wifi adapter? Are you gonna have to have the freaking HD-DVD drive plugged into the FRONT of the console?

Yusaku said:
I'm late to the party here, I've only thumbed through a few pages of this thread.

I think most people here are looking at this from "what can HD-DVD do for Xbox 360?" But really the question is "What can Xbox 360 do for HD-DVD?"

This complete's Xbox 360's role as a trojan horse for Microsoft's media agenda. Getting millions of Xbox 360's in American homes is a no brainer. It's automatic. Offer those millions of people an affordable entrance to HD movies, compared to stand-alone players, and get them to upgrade to Windows Vista... Bam, Microsoft suddenly has millions of people on board their digital media train.

This really does nothing for the 360 as a gaming platform, or even as competition to the PS3. It's purely about media. There's a reason why it was announced at CES and not E3.

It's too bad it's a rather clunky solution though, with the USB cable. What if you're using the wifi adapter? Are you gonna have to have the freaking HD-DVD drive plugged into the FRONT of the console?

You think there is any chance at all that Microsoft will sell "millions"? I think it's a show of force to the movie studios, computer manufacturers, and consumer electronics companies that HD-DVD is THEIR CHOICE. And if you aren't with them, you are against them, and that's not where you want to be. It's more of a brave front, and to put doubt about the viability of Blu-Ray in the PS3, than an attempt to make the 360 plaform more valuable.

When Microsoft makes such a declarative statement as they have with HD-DVD (many articles the past couple of days have gone so far as to say that Microsoft took over the HD-DVD CES press conference), it's intended to make people stand up and take notice. Microsoft RARELY backs a loser.

Top Bottom