• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

HokieJoe

JackFrost2012 said:
Sony must be popping bottles of champagne right now.

Now, when a consumer goes to compare the PS3 to the Xbox 360, they'll compare the cost of the PS3 to the cost of the Xbox 360 + HD-DVD add-on. Because the PS3 has hi-def movie playback out of the box.

Microsoft just handed Sony a HUGE price window to work with, and when Sony strikes back it is going to look very, very ugly.

:lol

I know this is a gaming board, but, G-Damn you people need to step out and breath the free air a bit.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The worst thing about it is the timing. I expected some kind of HD-DVD enabled 360 in the future but not an external add-on announcement 2 months after launch. It makes MS look a little stupid and unorganised. Also the device may look super sleek but without seeing it I still have this nagging feeling it's going to come across as rather tacky.

Anyway, if MS are to be believed and it won't be used for games then it's not a big issue for me. It's take it or leave it deal and I expect most people will probably leave it. Either way this format war is very tedious and I can't wait for one of them to just die and leave us with Blu-Ra...I mean one format.

I see the most serious Xbots have given up on damage control (who wouldn't, with this announcement) and moved on to the final stage of desperate fanboys: vague ad hominem attacks. /clap

JackFrost2012 said:
I see the most serious Xbots have given up on damage control (who wouldn't, with this announcement) and moved on to the final stage of desperate fanboys: vague ad hominem attacks. /clap

Oh my lord dude. How big exactly is your bladder that you can keep on pissing into the pond? It's like been over 24 hours since the news. Let it go dude. There's no more blood in that stone.

Shogmaster said:
Oh my lord dude. How big exactly is your bladder that you can keep on pissing into the pond? It's like been over 24 hours since the news. Let it go dude. There's no more blood in that stone.

6 minutes! Thanks, john_tv owes me a drink now. :lol

AniHawk

Shogmaster said:

Just enough for you to respond.

EDIT: Oh dear. A minute late.

Raistlin

DrGAKMAN said:
Again, I'm glad Nintendo is staying out of this "war". BR is just an attempt by Sony at having thier own forum where they get more control/royalties and HD-DVD is an attempt to confuse/keep consumers away from BR which also buys DVD (Toshiba's money-maker) more market time.

Keep it simple, keep it cheap, keep it fun: Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Sony doesn't really gain that much control - while they may lead the BluRay group, there are plenty of members.

As for DVD - doesn't Sony also receive licensing fees?

Both formats are stop-gaps and neither truly offer what they both originally promiced (recordability) and both are basically hendered by price & HDTV penetration issues. In fact, I think 'cos of this war (and it will be an ugly one: it'll be some studios, some game creators, some hardware companies versus rivals, all with thier own priorities/agenda's) could lead to bad things for Sony & MS...especially since by the time one of them "wins" someone (Matsushita) will be seriously ready to launch a newer better format with more unified support!

I highly doubt this. I don't think either is a stop-gap, unless they fail entirely. If sales of either one are good, there is going to be little to push the movie studios into support of another new format.

They offer the highest audio and video resolution we will have for a long time ... so there really won't be much of a market push for something new either.

Also, BluRay recorders have been available in Japan for over a year. What do you mean it can't do recordability?

Raistlin

Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't think so, it's the same reason my SACD hasn't really done anything at retail. Things seem to do well when the physical medium changes, but about resolution, no. From VHS to DVD, we moved from bulky tape to sexy disc. Now, this is just disc to another disc. The average consumer isn't going to feel like there was any step up. Now, if the FCC stayed on track and everything turned digital last year instead of 2007, then there would be a valid reason. Current Blu-Ray discs still have the MPEG-2 codec for movies. There isn't any H.264 video in these. You think Java menus is going to entice the general population? My personal belief is that Blu-Ray will have a slight edge in living rooms while HD-DVD wins big on PCs. However, neither will do enough to establish themselves as a clear cut winner.

SACD was/is a VERY different situation.

Matlock said:

SCOOP! X360 external BR drive.

X360externalBRdrive.jpg

HokieJoe

JackFrost2012 said:

Righht

My point is, some of you cats are seriously myopic. This whole battle isn't just about PS3 vs. teh 360. For MS, it involves iHD, and Vista, amongst other things. I know this is a game board, but you have to look at all of the variables affecting MS's decision to include the add-on. While the PS3 is a factor, this decision doesn't revolve around it as much as some of you may want to believe.

Personally, if the add-on is affordable, I might buy it. However, I'm more inclined to just wait and buy a standalone Bluray drive or a PS3 at this point. I just think that there's a lot of gratuitous high-fiving, and magniloquent circle-jerking going on here that has no factual merit. Considering the number of people here who are developers, it bothers me that there isn't more thoughtful analysis.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I see the most serious Xbots have given up on damage control (who wouldn't, with this announcement) and moved on to the final stage of desperate fanboys: vague ad hominem attacks. /clap"

*shrug* it's a low cost HD-DVD for those who have a X360 and don't want to get a full price HD-DVD/Bluray player/PS3

It's being spun by both Xbots and the Sonylords.

It's either irrelevant to you (Sonylords - they don't want HD-DVD, they want a PS3 with Bluray / Xbots - they don't want next gen movies / Other - they want the X360 for the _games_ it offers, but will play movies on the PS3) or you want it (if the price is still $299, it's STILL cheaper than the current announced HD-DVD player - yes, you could wait for the PS3 to play cheap Bluray movies, but WHEN will that be?)

I don't get it - the panty wetting on both sides of this is a total embarrassment.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
m0dus said:
. . . except if you want hi-def :)

Oh silly robot...I would like HD, but I (and many) are happy with DVD at this point. I'll wait 'til HVD if I have to, HD-DVD & BR are stop-gaps that have come too soon and there's no unification whatsoever so why buy one if the other may "win"...are CE companies & Hollywood studios expecting us to buy both? Are they also expecting to turn the movie industry into the games industry where we have to switch to a "newer better" format every 5 years??? Pffft...no thanks, I'll wait, so that by the time the "next generation" of movie formats finally does come I will have a HDTV ready to experience it and not have to worry about which format to choose or how long it's gonna last.

This is a perfectly sensible opinon, without an agenda...and I'm sure many normal people share it.

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
*shrug* it's a low cost HD-DVD for those who have a X360 and don't want to get a full price HD-DVD/Bluray player/PS3

Wait, they announced the price of it? What is it, I missed it.

DCharlie

"Wait, they announced the price of it? What is it, I missed it."

no, there is no price announcement for the add on , or the PS3.

HOWEVER, the base HD-DVD player is in at $499 - now, as long as the add on comes in under $499 (!) then there is some sort of saving available!

:D

Raistlin

DrGAKMAN said:
Oh silly robot...I would like HD, but I (and many) are happy with DVD at this point. I'll wait 'til HVD if I have to, HD-DVD & BR are stop-gaps that have come too soon and there's no unification whatsoever so why buy one if the other may "win"...are CE companies & Hollywood studios expecting us to buy both?

BluRay and HD-DVD are certainly not stop-gaps ... unless they fail entirely.

If you are waiting for HVD - specifically for pre-recorded movies on HVD - me thinks you'll be waiting a long time.

DCharlie

"BluRay and HD-DVD are certainly not stop-gaps ... unless they fail entirely.

If you are waiting for HVD - specifically for pre-recorded movies on HVD - me thinks you'll be waiting a long time."
well, one thing that i would say is that i don't see Bluray/HD-DVD ending having to have multi disk series...

rather than encode entire series onto one disk, i think the quality will go up and you'll still need the same number of disks.

For instance -24 will still require 6 disks, but the quality will go up.

Ideally, i'd prefer HVD or some similar format where you have entire HUGE series on one disk in 1080p

the only issue is, by the time HVD hits, we'll be at 2160p! ;)

Raistlin

Don't get me wrong ... I understand your point.

I'm just saying I don't believe that in itself will be enough to push movie/TV studios into HVD releases if BluRay and/or HD-DVD are doing well.

Since people seem to be used to it a bit with DVDs, I really don't think there will be much of an outcry from consumers either.

Two things to consider:

1) Some people actually prefer multiple disks - at least for TV series. That way they can loan out some disks while watching the others. I've done this plenty of times.

2) If the TDK 100GB disks take off, then this issue is at least partially offset. Even at ridiculous bit-rates, this would offer far more space than an equivalent DVD.

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
well, one thing that i would say is that i don't see Bluray/HD-DVD ending having to have multi disk series...

rather than encode entire series onto one disk, i think the quality will go up and you'll still need the same number of disks.

For instance -24 will still require 6 disks, but the quality will go up.

Ideally, i'd prefer HVD or some similar format where you have entire HUGE series on one disk in 1080p

the only issue is, by the time HVD hits, we'll be at 2160p! ;)

That's nice for boxsets and would work for cost effectiveness. What about movies though? The cost for a HVD disc was listed at a hundred bucks a pop right now. What does a HVD provide incentive wise over BRD or HD-DVD to offset that extreme price difference? Besides extra space?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
30 more posts to go to reach 1000! You can do it. Maybe this will help....My X360 is going up on EBAY due to this add-on HD-DVD player that will clearly ruin all of the gaming goodness that is the X360!! MS is teh doomed!!!!! :lol

I can't wait to see the thread when the PS3's pricing is announced-this thread will be tame by comparison. If you're expecting anything under $400 prepare to eat crow.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
LegendofJoe said:
I can't wait to see the thread when the PS3's pricing is announced-this thread will be tame by comparison. If you're expecting anything under $400 prepare to eat crow.

Oh snap. How does the internel Sony division look? Do have any pictures or information relating to RSX. How is the Linux OS handled in the PS3?

Can you even divulge into these matters?

DenogginizerOS

If the HD-DVD is black, it has a chance. But, we all know that white consoles eventually fail sooner than expected, and X360 will soon follow. :lol

Borys

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Oh snap. How does the internel Sony division look? Do have any pictures or information relating to RSX. How is the Linux OS handled in the PS3?

Can you even divulge into these matters?

He's an insider? Proven?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
LegendofJoe said:

I will happily pay $500 for a PS3 with Blu Ray playback. Mrs. Stinkles on the other hand, will take a shit in my car when I spend that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DenogginizerOS said:
If the HD-DVD is black, it has a chance. But, we all know that white consoles eventually fail sooner than expected, and X360 will soon follow. :lol
actually this is incorrect. it is in fact the black console curse.

the only non-black console to fail: DC
the only black consoles to not fail: Genesis, XBox

History says a white X360 was a good move and a black HD DVD add on would be bad.

LegendofJoe said:
ummm.. I will assume you are not including $399 in that.. because that is what I am expecting an HDD-less system to go for. Anything more than that and MS won't have to worry about Sony competing with them.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stinkles said:
I will happily pay $500 for a PS3 with Blu Ray playback. Mrs. Stinkles on the other hand, will take a shit in my car when I spend that.

You could record that in high def and sell it on the internet to recoup some of the expense. Problem solved.

DenogginizerOS

borghe said:
actually this is incorrect. it is in fact the black console curse.

the only non-black console to fail: DC
the only black consoles to not fail: Genesis, XBox

History says a white X360 was a good move and a black HD DVD add on would be bad.

You forgot PS2 in the black consoles to not fail list. N64 was greyish black. And technically, the XBOX was dark green. Nevertheless, I remember hearing counter huggers back in the day of DC's launch saying stupid shit like "White Consoles Will Fail!" and this thread reminds me so much of that logic.

DenogginizerOS said:
You forgot PS2 in the black consoles to not fail. N64 was greyish black. And technically, the XBOX was dark green. Nevertheless, I remember hearing counter huggers back in the day of DC's launch saying stupid shit like "White Consoles Will Fail!" and this thread reminds me so much of that logic.
Really?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DenogginizerOS said:
You forgot PS2 in the black consoles to not fail list. N64 was greyish black. And technically, the XBOX was dark green. Nevertheless, I remember hearing counter huggers back in the day of DC's launch saying stupid shit like "White Consoles Will Fail!" and this thread reminds me so much of that logic.
DOH. good call on the PS2.. I just remember it was the black console curse back in the day (saturn era).

and I call shenanigans on that dark green thing. it's black.

DenogginizerOS

borghe said:
DOH. good call on the PS2.. I just remember it was the black console curse back in the day (saturn era).

and I call shenanigans on that dark green thing. it's black.

It is a very, very dark green. No shit.

Edit: I am laughing right now thinking of people looking really hard at their XBOX's. Don't drop it on your child or dog!!!!

Piper Az

DenogginizerOS said:

umm. NES, Super Nintendo, and PS1 anyone? Even white PS2 looks sexier than the black one. Same goes for the white, limited edition Panzer Orta Xbox.

Top Bottom