• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
soepkip said:
Then what's the use of releasing an external drive? What would be the benefit over just buying a 'real' HD-DVD player?

because some people don't know any better?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Vennt said:
What if there was publisher/developer pressure towards HD-DVD game utilization due to DVD's storage constraints, would MS buckle on this?

If they did, then the device would be some kind of composite of both the SegaCD AND the 32X. People would essentially need to buck up and pay another $100-$200 to continue playing XBox 360 games.

soepkip said:
Then what's the use of releasing an external drive? What would be the benefit over just buying a 'real' HD-DVD player?

UMMM COST, they can use the 360 processor to do the dirty work thus reducing the drive to a laser and an enclosure

Sysgen

soepkip said:

The press release says:

The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

Someone put the pieces together because there is apparently a larger picture here. Stand alone HDDVD /Bluray players will let you use content in digital form?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
One thing this thread has reminded me of is how much I love to actually play games, and how much I hate console/format wars.

daydreams of playing PDZ online tonight with Prine, Tag, Phantom, Davi, Sicher, etc. and thinking about what Kojima and his team are cooking up for MGS4 Clicks heels and wishes out of this black hole.

it wont be used for games. it cant be used for games. this is something like saturns MPEG add on and 3d0s video add on. WTF. how hard is that to comprehend? I mean seriously. Its just a cheap HD DVD solution. I'm figuring somehow the 360 will do all the processing so you'll be basically paying for a HD DVD drive, case, cables and power supply. THATS IT. impossible for devs to use it for games and it wont be used for games.

Gio_CoD

Banned
bigNman said:
If Rockstar want to put GTA4 on x360 via hd-dvd do you think MS would stop them? I doubt it.
I think Rockstar would stop themselves. No distributor is going to release a game that only a small percentage of the userbase could even play.

The only thing I could even *possibly* see happening in the future are a couple of games that might require the hard drive. Maybe something like a MMORPG. I doubt even that will happen.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
RidgeCityFM said:
it wont be used for games. it cant be used for games. this is something like saturns MPEG add on and 3d0s video add on. WTF. how hard is that to comprehend? I mean seriously. Its just a cheap HD DVD solution. I'm figuring somehow the 360 will do all the processing so you'll be basically paying for a HD DVD drive, case, cables and power supply. THATS IT. impossible for devs to use it for games and it wont be used for games.

such a simple concept and yet lost on so many people...

bigNman said:
If Rockstar want to put GTA4 on x360 via hd-dvd do you think MS would stop them? I doubt it.

:lol :lol :lol i doubt rockstar would release a game on a format thats just gonna spin in the drive and not even be seen by the 360 as a game. oh man. :lol

Gio_CoD

Banned
RidgeCityFM said:
:lol :lol :lol i doubt rockstar would release a game on a format thats just gonna spin in the drive and not even be seen by the 360 as a game. oh man. :lol
First off, I agree with you that it won't be used for games, but stop spouting off shit that you don't know. There's zero technical reason that a dev COULDN'T put a game on HD-DVD. It'll be a matter of policy.

Deg

Banned
Mainstream articles are popping up saying that its expected to be used for games at some point. They quote devs saying 2 dvd disks for games are not enough.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
RidgeCityFM said:

There's no technical reason why developers couldn't put a game on HD-DVD. The 360 will just recognise it as a drive which data is then pulled off, whether that is a film, a movie or whatever. The firmware update and Microsoft's licensing agreements will dictate whether it could boot games. With the possibility of the drive becoming standard at some point in the future, and the size of say PS3 ports being an unknown quantity, I think Microsoft will keep all their options open.

And they can always say they've given you the option now if an HD-DVD game appears in the future. I wouldn't be surprised by anything they do now, they've changed their stance on 360 so many times already.

Joe

am i the only one that doesnt understand why this is so hysterical? if this is an hd-dvd option at $99-$199 range, while standalone players at the same time might be $199-$399 why is this bad? when i first heard peter moore say it, i was actually pretty excited.

Amir0x

Banned
human5892 said:
This thread was so awesome. You could almost see the tears streaming down m0dus' face as he typed.

My favorite part was Agent Icebeezy saying if it's cheap, he'll buy it - specifically because he has repeatedly said he doesn't give a fuck about movies, and in fact he doesn't watch movies at all. 1

human5892 said:
This thread was so awesome. You could almost see the tears streaming down m0dus' face as he typed.

Your unbridled and distateful scorn towards your fellow gamer is a disgrace to Arrested Development fans everywhere. You, sir, are the reason it's getting cancelled.

GAFPoster1: Hey, you wanna watch that Arrested Development show? I heard it's pretty cool.
GAFPoster2 (They're Roomates): Nah. human5892's unbridled and distateful scorn towards his fellow gamer is undeniably linked in my mind to the ScreenCaps from the show that he always uses for an avatar. I'll pass.

This inane and overly dramatized Hypothetical was brought to you by me.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
My favorite part was Agent Icebeezy saying if it's cheap, he'll buy it - specifically because he has repeatedly said he doesn't give a fuck about movies, and in fact he doesn't watch movies at all. 1

:lol - Nice catch :p

Sysgen

Joe said:
am i the only one that doesnt understand why this is so hysterical? if this is an hd-dvd option at $99-$199 range, while standalone players at the same time might be $199-$399 why is this bad? when i first heard peter moore say it, i was actually pretty excited.

http://www.hdblog.net/2006/01/05/toshiba-announces-hd-dvd-for-the-us/

Toshiba has finally announced HD DVD players for the US market. The new HD DVD players are models HD-XA1 and HD-A1. HD DVD players were supposed to launch in the US in late fall of 2005, and software was originally supposed to be released at the same time. None of that materialized as Toshiba delayed the introduction due to problems getting AACS copy-protection issues sorted out.

All that seems to be behind them. In March 2006 Toshiba will release HD DVD players to the US market. The HD-A1 is expected to retail for $499, while the HD-XA1 will be $799

A $100, even $199 HDDVD peripheral seems very attractive in this context.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BenjaminBirdie said:
Your unbridled and distateful scorn towards your fellow gamer is a disgrace to Arrested Development fans everywhere. You, sir, are the reason it's getting cancelled.

GAFPoster1: Hey, you wanna watch that Arrested Development show? I heard it's pretty cool.
GAFPoster2 (They're Roomates): Nah. human5892's unbridled and distateful scorn towards his fellow gamer is undeniably linked in my mind to the ScreenCaps from the show that he always uses for an avatar. I'll pass.

what.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
BenjaminBirdie said:

...ok....

bill0527

I just wanted to pipe back in and encourage the haters to continue on with your Microsoft hate. You sure are a vocal bunch and you've had a lot to say over the last year when all Microsoft really did was bring another kick ass video game system to market (albeit in short supplies)..

Meanwhile..I need to get back to next generation gaming with that Fight Night Round 3 demo.

human5892 said:

You were being, unnecessarily, a jerk to m0dus, reveling, as you were, in his presumed sorrows. If I didn't already watch Arrested Development avidly, seeing your recommendation of it would not in any way have made it appealing. If you want to promote a good show, fine, do it. But know that when you promote AD in a Video Game forum, all the mean spirited things you say to and about people are automatically linked to said show.

Although, now that I think about it, that is an awfully Bluthian way to go about it.

BlueTsunami

bill0527 said:
Meanwhile..I need to get back to next generation gaming with that Fight Night Round 3 demo.

Thanks for stopping in sir, so happy you were thinking about GAF while playing Fight Night Round 3, thats sweet

BlueTsunami

TheDuce22 said:
DAMAGE CONTROLL!!!! HAHAHAH

Sry, I just wanted to fit in. :lol

If your trying to fit in, then why are you announcing that your trying to fit in? I think that would have a negative effect to your "trying to fit in" situation.

Joe said:
please expand upon your post, im interested as to why you think that.

Easier to justify PS3's price and this:

This looks bad for 360 because it puts HD movies into the game. It's like your, and other xbots, damage control all this time. You were claiming that HD movies aren't that important and it's nothing different than normal DVDs (at least that's what the fanboys down on reirom-age and teamxbox were claiming). Now Microsoft suddenly makes it important. Xbox360 looks like it's trying to be PS3 with ridiculous looking add-ons.

BlueTsunami

m0dus said:
"ROFLMAO MICRO$OFT IS DOOMED!!!"

Now you fit in :lol

Don't you mean that "Now I fit in :lol" since your saying it yourself? Or are you saying it for him...if so...then I see

Borys

Banned
Mrbob said:
I think you're mad you can't find one. ;)

The lack of a larger media format is a problem, I agree. However the HDD issue is not once you have a system. There are still developers are optimizing games with and without hdd. Heck DoA4 loads all the stages in about 3 seconds if you have a hdd. Oblivion will take advantage of the hdd too. Also, the HDD is infinitely more useful as an add on for 360 than it ever was integrated into every xbox. Downloadable game demos is huge. I mean I get to try out Fight Night Round 3 a month before the game is even out. The demo alone sold me on the game when I never would have rented it in the first place.

360 has had a bumpy start, which I hope gets better. The launch wasn't bad. Condemned is a brilliant game, and PD0 is great fun online. DoA4 is amazing too. With games like Oblvion, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo 3, Gears of War, etc. things are looking up. I also believe EA sports games coming out in 2006 will be significantly improved, and there will be minimal difference between the PS3 and 360 version, if at all. If high defintion movies is something you are interested in, I can understand waiting. PS3 will more than likely be a much more inclusive value packaged system. If it wasn't for Team Ninja supporting the 360 exclusively, I probably would have waited for PS3 as well. It is probably for the best MS irons out these problems while they are the only system on the market. IF this would have happened while the PS3 is already out it would have been more devestating.

SMARTEST. XBOX. FAN. EVER.

Reading posts like this helps me understand just how DENSE and PATHETIC Shogmaster, Dopey Fish, m0dus etc. are. They couldn't, they can't and they never will find a single flaw on the Xbox/ Xbox 360. For them it's a perfect console, for perfect price with perfect games and perfect features. It's very hard to take such people seriously.

When you've got lots of CURRENT Xbox 360 owners laughing at the stupidity of this move and the usual brigade blindly and furioulsy defending their beloved company you know who is in the sad fanboi camp.

Of course I must give them - at least m0dus and Dopey - that their love for everything Xbox doesn't mean equal hate for all things Sony, that's a big plus, they are better than me in that regard.

Man, if every poster would be like Mr Bob (not like Xbots, Nbots, not like me etc.) GAF would be a better place.

Borys

Banned
Amir0x said:
you'll be disappointed to learn, Borys, that Mr Bob has a bad rep!

That's something bizarre, but I also noticed it :(

Levae Mr Bob alone, o mighty powers behind GAF! He's a good guy inside.

Speevy

Banned
Reading posts like this helps me understand just how DENSE and PATHETIC Shogmaster, Dopey Fish, m0dus etc. are. They couldn't, they can't and they never will find a single flaw on the Xbox/ Xbox 360. For them it's a perfect console, for perfect price with perfect games and perfect features. It's very hard to take such people seriously.

There are no perfect consoles or video games. There are however people who will sit around with this "Prove it." attitude toward anything remotely positive, and a hyperactive "OMG DOOM3d I told you so!" attitude toward anything negative. Or not negative, just what they don't understand. And most seem to belong to one camp.

MrBob is like some sort of forum politician. Really, an unpopular or minority opinion can be right and reasonable.

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
There are no perfect consoles or video games. There are however people who will sit around with this "Prove it." attitude toward anything remotely positive, and a hyperactive "OMG DOOM3d I told you so!" attitude toward anything negative. Or not negative, just what they don't understand. And most seem to belong to one camp.

MrBob is like some sort of forum politician. Really, an unpopular or minority opinion can be right and reasonable.

You actually... make sense, Speev.

They look only for positives whereas I look only for negatives. There can be no good when we clash together.

xaosslug

BenjaminBirdie said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

yes, it needed 5.

TheDuce22

Banned
When you've got lots of CURRENT Xbox 360 owners laughing at the stupidity of this move and the usual brigade blindly and furioulsy defending their beloved company you know who is in the sad fanboi camp.

So in your mind there should be no debate, this is a horrible move and M$ is probably DOOMED!? Anyone who disagrees is a sad fanboi. What a nice attitude to have.

xsarien

daedsiluap
TheDuce22 said:
So in your mind there should be no debate, this is a horrible move and M$ is probably DOOMED!? Anyone who disagrees is a sad fanboi. What a nice attitude to have.

Not doomed, just tripping over itself to get out before Sony when there's absolutely no proof that being first to market will help them.

Speevy

Banned
The absolute worst thing that could come out of this is a minor perception problem.

Consumers say "Hey, I can buy the PS3 with a high definition player but the Xbox 360 one comes separately?"

And to be honest, if high definition is a factor at all, they were gonna say that anyway.

Tip: Joe Casual doesn't sit around thinking about damage control or reactive business strategy.

Mrbob

Borys said:
That's something bizarre, but I also noticed it :(

Levae Mr Bob alone, o mighty powers behind GAF! He's a good guy inside.

The problem I run into is that I don't pick a side. There are those who would say I picked PSP over DS, and I did for awhile, but DS proved itself to me so I bought it. If I would go all Xbox 360 or all PS3 I would be better off. Yet I can't like the Xbox platforms, also like Blu Ray and PS3, and point out flaws in the 360 at the same time. I could care less about the reputation system to be honest, as I have some of the most reasonable posts on GAF as a whole. The problem is two certain mods didn't like me ripping into DS. I've stopped that, yet the whole PSP/DS war still escalates anyway without my involvement. Nice to see since it seems like those two tried to pine the entire DS/PSP flame war on me.

Top Bottom