• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces new Xbox One 1TB console; new controller

So I guess no dongle/controller bundle or did I miss something?

If not, I will go out and buy a controller to use over the summer while wired.

My 360 controller is on its last legs.

Edit: NVM. It is coming bundled.

The Flash

Banned
Barely noticed the wireless adapter announcement was buried in there as well.

That's the one I am really interested in. Too bad it isn't coming until the fall. Expected it around the Windows 10 release.

Pretty much anything related to Windows 10 is coming out after it launches. It's annoying.

Fucking finally with the wireless adapter. Was sick of using the gross feeling 360 controller. And it's a stick too not a weird cabled thing.

Not gonna get a new controller tho unless they add a DVR/screenshot button.

Edit: oh shit fixed bumpers might have to get one after all

Certinty

Matte looks nice.

Will pick up one of these controllers in a few months time, glad I held off getting a second controller before this was announced now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nice, might get the new controller now, or just wait for the slim/redesign next year. Refined bumpers are cool, but I am in that group of people that never found an issue with the current ones. 3.5mm is also nice, but I use a dacamp for my cans for best quality.

Lady Gaia

That's unfortunate in my opinion. The other changes are a step in the right direction, but I was hoping for a slimmer design with an internal power supply. I just have trouble with the "brick with its own fan" aesthetic. This fall will otherwise bring some compelling reasons for me to pick one up between Rock Band 4 (given all my 360 DLC) and the new Tomb Raider. Time will tell, I guess. It's not like re-buying the DLC would be more expensive than the console, and I can be patient on the Tomb Raider front if need be.

Highly considering the new console bundle. I don't care about the 1 TB, just the matte finish. And it comes with the new controller? With improved bumpers?! Sold.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Prices from UK PR.

Xbox One 1TB consoles will begin shipping immediately for £349.99 MSRP. And starting today, the £299.99 price on all standard Xbox One 500GB consoles will be permanent in the United Kingdom and select regions around the world.

hmm so 3.5 headphone jack, the ability to update your controller via wireless with no cord required.
Sounds like they added some functions on the wireless connectivity side.
Bumbers also have been enhanced. I want to give it a try asap. Sell my spare and buy this one lolz

I'll always keep my day one though....

d00d3n

I would feel bad about being stuck with the "lesser model", but I don't think that my digital only xbox one library will be close to using the 500 gb during the lifetime of the console.

eerik9000

Should have been $299 and $349 for the consoles to put some pressure on Sony.

Will probably pick up the new controller PC bundle at some point in the future, but right now I'm happy with using DS4 and Xbox 360 controller on my PC.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That's unfortunate in my opinion. The other changes are a step in the right direction, but I was hoping for a slimmer design with an internal power supply. I just have trouble with the "brick with its own fan" aesthetic.

Why would they put the power supply inside? It only generates heat, which leads to more noise. Also the power supply has a built in circuit breaker for power surges.

Jarlaxle

They fine tuned the bumpers huh? That's really the only aspect of the XB1 controller I don't care for. Otherwise, it's perfect for me. I might have to spring for another controller if it's a noticeable improvement.

That's unfortunate in my opinion. The other changes are a step in the right direction, but I was hoping for a slimmer design with an internal power supply. I just have trouble with the "brick with its own fan" aesthetic. This fall will otherwise bring some compelling reasons for me to pick one up between Rock Band 4 (given all my 360 DLC) and the new Tomb Raider. Time will tell, I guess. It's not like re-buying the DLC would be more expensive than the console, and I can be patient on the Tomb Raider front if need be.

Why people would even expect a redesign that early.

Qassim

The matte finish looks nice and the bumpers were the only real source of complaint for me on the already excellent XB1 controller and the wireless dongle finally getting a price is nice too.

The controller is $65 separately? Good lord, controller prices keep getting more ridiculous.

The $400 price for the 1 TB console is nice though.

I remember reading a while back that a large % of console profits are from accessories, specifically extra controllers. I'd guess controller revenue is basically how they offset console prices lowering over time.

Percy

Banned
Fixing the bumpers was long overdue, so good for them for actually doing it.

That controller pricing tho...

b0bbyJ03

i really hope that now that windows is going to be supported we can get chat from the controller to work the way it does on the xbox.

Matte finish? Better controller? 1 TB? I'm this close to switching out my old one for this.

But I don't really want to give up my Kinect just yet. Maybe after I play through D4 and the other big Kinect games I will, though. Then get the Media Remote or something.

Does the 1 TB come with Kinect? I'm guessing not...
Yeah, I'm wondering how many more Kinect bundles they'll cook up over the next few months. I don't expect to see many. :/

So back in January when the price drop was temporary but with no end date in sight, why didnt they just say permanent price drop then? Was it to get people to rush out thinking the price drop would go away?

A slim redesign wouldn't be practical until GloFo has 16nm FF spun up so AMD can crank out cooler running APUs. The new die process is due sometime in 2016...so my guess is a new redesign for both XBone & PS4 would make sense for the 2016 holiday season.

I wouldn´t count on it ...

Old controllers will be compatible almost for sure. They'd have a riot on their hands if not.

Errr, unless the new Xbox One controller transmits data at a different frequency? Why would it not support the old controller...

Exactly. They'd have to purposefully have it transmit at a different frequency to break old controller compatibility. This would be perceived as extremely anti-consumer & a blatant attempt to force PC users to spend money on more controllers even if they already have 1 or more. Although MS has a history of bone-headed decisions, I think this one is a no brainer.

Top Bottom