• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces new Xbox One 1TB console; new controller

Azzawon

That's a new mic too

I thought the headset looked different. I really liked the design of the original though, this one must be cheaper/more reliable.

Edit: actually looks like the old 360 headset with in-line volume controls designed to fit the new 3.5mm jack...

jacobeid

Banned
Controller sounds really nice but I'm not buying a third controller for a console that I rarely play. The bumpers and the headphone jack should have been there from day 1 to be quite honest.

pizzacat

Banned
I thought the headset looked different. I really liked the design of the original though, this one must be cheaper/more reliable.

Edit: actually looks like the old 360 headset with in-line volume controls designed to fit the new 3.5mm jack...
Yea I was about to just say your edit

My default mic broke so I just went with the adapter that does this controllers job. But the bumpers intrigue me I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wonder what the range is on the wireless dongle? I like the compact nature of the stick, but I really like the current 360 wireless adapter and how long the cable is - so I can stretch it towards my living room when playing via steam home streaming

This comes just a week after I ran out and bought a new wired 360 pad to play Witcher 3 on the PC. :/ Then again my old one has seen better days. That dongle spells good news though. 'Cause fuck whoever invented micro usb, flakiest shit around. Too many disconnects when I play. Good riddance.

Matte finish? Better controller? 1 TB? I'm this close to switching out my old one for this.

But I don't really want to give up my Kinect just yet. Maybe after I play through D4 and the other big Kinect games I will, though. Then get the Media Remote or something.

Yeah, I'm wondering how many more Kinect bundles they'll cook up over the next few months. I don't expect to see many. :/

If you already have a console, why not just get an external drive that is much larger than 1TB? Install all games to the external and you get improved load times and your entire library is portable.

Seriously people, get an external.

sonto340

The idea that I'll want to fumble around in system settings when the game audio is too much. Louder than chat audio or when people stop talking so I want the game louder is hilarious. The headset adapter is worth every penny.still options are nice I suppose but nothing will beat having the buttons at my
Fingertips instead of buried in a menu somewhere.

Cels

$80 for the bundle with dongle and $25 for just the dongle? Lunacy. I paid $30 for my wireless 360 controller that came with a dongle.

rokkerkory

"New controller"*

*added a headset jack

*lack of reading comprehension

edit: It's nice to get this outta the way for E3 as it's not big enough to be announced at E3 as it's a true price drop. 1TB is nice however with HMCC for $400... I wonder if this will come in matte white?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Making it harder, MS. You improve the bumpers and add a 3.5mm jack so that $25 dongle isn't necessary, but you make it cost more and it STILL requires batteries to be changed?

Nah, I love having to change the batteries only once every 2-3 weeks.

Heysoos

Matte finish would have been nice from the start. The glossy top part of mine has scratches even though nothing ever rests on top of it. :((

Anyways, I'll wait for the new controllers to hit Expertzone and buy one. :D

malfcn

It was only a matter of time until that sleek matte finish was released. Goodbye dust and scratches.

The controller has 360 bumpers now? They were strange at first, but after awhile I had zero problems with the One bumpers.

Making it harder, MS. You improve the bumpers and add a 3.5mm jack so that $25 dongle isn't necessary, but you make it cost more and it STILL requires batteries to be changed?

From their perspective, internal battery backs fade quickly and eventually you have a DoA controller. I get a large amount of playtime from Eneloops and the play and charge kit. The DS4 gets around 7 hours of charge, due to the LED and when you need to keep using it you must plug in rather than swap out. Over time the DS4 battery pack will continue to degrade.

If you already have a console, why not just get an external drive that is much larger than 1TB? Install all games to the external and you get improved load times and your entire library is portable.

Seriously people, get an external.
If I follow this path, any recommendations on where to get a high quality, high capacity, inexpensive external?

ViciousDS

Banned
if microsoft is going to put audio jacks on the new controllers how about they fucking do USB headset support.....its about time they do.

So sick of having a cord run to a controller for just chat audio. I can be completely wireless on the PS4....but Xbox you HAVE to use the controller audio port just for chat.

If I follow this path, any recommendations on where to get a high quality, high capacity, inexpensive external?

I use something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-STBX2000401-2-5-Inch-Portable/dp/B00ILALU9G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433860825&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate+expansion+2tb

Its powered by the USB 3.0, and all you to is move all your games to the external drive and make sure the console installs all games there going forward. You can go for a much faster drive or a larger one, but it is your call on price point.

If you want to go to a buddies house and play your games, you just unplug the drive. Plug it into his console and then sign in. Voila, you have your entire library there.

abadguy

Banned
From their perspective, internal battery backs fade quickly and eventually you have a DoA controller. I get a large amount of playtime from Eneloops and the play and charge kit. The DS4 gets around 7 hours of charge, due to the LED and when you need to keep using it you must plug in rather than swap out. Over time the DS4 battery pack will continue to degrade.

Yeah. I have Eneloops for my controller and it's been just fine, i never liked internal batteries. I am tempted to trade in my current box for the new Matte finish, i really hate gloss.

Omadahl

Banned
That's a lot of money for a PC controller. I'm perfectly happy with my wired rock candy controller I got for $15.

I use something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-STBX2000401-2-5-Inch-Portable/dp/B00ILALU9G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433860825&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate+expansion+2tb

Its powered by the USB 3.0, and all you to is move all your games to the external drive and make sure the console installs all games there going forward. You can go for a much faster drive or a larger one, but it is your call on price point.

If you want to go to a buddies house and play your games, you just unplug the drive. Plug it into his console and then sign in. Voila, you have your entire library there.
Heh, I'm 32 with a baby on the way and I live in the suburbs. The days of going over to a friends house to play games is over so that's not a major driver for me. lol :(

If you format the HDD to save Xbox games, you can't use it for anything else, right? Or can I save PC files elsewhere on the HDD?

Thanks for the recommendation, btw.

Justinh

You can look at the pictures. It's just adding the 3.5mm jack to the left of the current port.

Hmm, I noticed that earlier but I can't seem to find the pictures of the underside anymore.

My concern is whether or not it's like...offset a little that would make the headset adapter not fit correctly.
Eh, I'll find out soon enough.

edit:
http://www.gamereactor.es/media/02/oficial_1470214_650x.png
oh, thanks. Yeah, that looks pretty center.

I need to see the console in person because it sounds good.

This is definitely huge for new consumers. Definitely a choice I wish was available first when I got the titanfall bundle :(

RexNovis

Banned
Wait so they aren't lowering the price of the current model to $300 and debuting the new SKU at $350? I just assumed that was the plan as it is the most logical given the market reality for them currently which necessitates lower price points than their direct competitor.

Honestly, can't believe they are buckling down on the $399 msrp again. It's been painfully clear consumers don't see it offering a comparable value to the competing platform at the same price point. If their competitor announces a significant price drop for their 500gb model that is going to completely deflate any sales momentum their new 1tb model would have afforded them.

rokkerkory

Wait so they aren't lowering the price of the current model to $300? Can't believe they are buckling down on the $399 msrp again. It's been painfully clear consumers don't see it offering a comparable value to the competing platform at the same price point. If their competitor announces a significant price drop for their 500gb model that is going to completely deflate any sales momentum their new 1tb model would have afforded them.

They have always been like this in the past (Sony too)... until the 500GB models sell out then they will lower 1TB to $350, prob during this xmas or after.

RexNovis

Banned
They have always been like this in the past (Sony too)... until the 500GB models sell out then they will lower 1TB to $350, prob during this xmas or after.

They had an opportunity to generate some momentum with the announcement though. Instead the price point potentially makes it DoA especially when the competition will likely announce their first price drop relatively soon.

glaurung

I need to see the console in person because it sounds good.

This is definitely huge for new consumers. Definitely a choice I wish was available first when I got the titanfall bundle :(
The matte finish will look boring and not very nice in person. Especially considering the grille on the right is still polished.

If it were all matte, it'd be at least uniform.

HUELEN10

Permanent 350 price Drop?

So the 8th gen consoles are 300, 350, and 400 for every day low prices? Not too shabby!

FordGTGuy

Banned

dhbTQaK.png

Eneloops, internal batteries can suck it. :p

Top Bottom