• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces new Xbox One 1TB console; new controller

Slixshot

Banned
Great for people who don't already have one!!! Now gimme some kick ass exclusives to buy this year and I'll be one happy owner. E3 HYPE TRAINNNNN

CaVaYeRo

Hmm, I noticed that earlier but I can't seem to find the pictures of the underside anymore.

oficial_1470214_650x.png

Hmmm, wow @ price difference. It's 449.99 Eur in Spain and I guess rest of Europe, too expensive imo :(

And with no Halo: MCC, lol.

Ape

Banned
It's not a "new controller", it's a minor evolution of the current controller.

I'm perfectly fine with people calling it a new controller. It's a great way to differentiate between the old controller without the headphone jack and crap bumpers and the new controller with said features. Making the effort to say "minor evolution of the current controller" seems ridiculous.

Shevat

Neo Member
So I guess they found a way to get the price back to $399. I've got a feeling that new "permanent" $349 price (come on everyone knows that shit was permanent already) is only while supplies last. I can't imagine they're keeping the 500gb in production.

Hope it works out for them but if the market wasn't there for the 500gb at $399 I can't imagine adding a slightly bigger hard drive is going to fix that, especially since we know Sony has a 1TB ps4 model launching. I'm expecting a new "promotional" $349 pricepoint by year end.

KYZR

You’ll have the option to adjust headset volume, mic monitoring, and voice and game audio balance through the Settings menu on your console.

That's a nice feature. Only the more expensive X1 headsets, and more complex set-ups (mix amps and such) allow mic monitoring atm.

Nah, I love having to change the batteries only once every 2-3 weeks.

From their perspective, internal battery backs fade quickly and eventually you have a DoA controller. I get a large amount of playtime from Eneloops and the play and charge kit. The DS4 gets around 7 hours of charge, due to the LED and when you need to keep using it you must plug in rather than swap out. Over time the DS4 battery pack will continue to degrade.

dhbTQaK.png

Eneloops, internal batteries can suck it. :p

See, these aren't invalid opinions, but I also don't see why it has to be something like this. Granted, I don't go on 6+ hour gaming sessions (often) but I've never had a problem with my DS4s that I cannot just stick it onto my charging cradle and be done with it. I'd rather just set something to charge when I'm not using it than have to swap batteries.

That and I've had Eneloops wear out on me already in my 360 controllers as well as flashlights and multimeters and what have you. I have 4 of them that don't hold a charge anymore, 2 of my 360 official battery packs have stopped charging altogether. All of them use NiMH, so it's no surprise they haven't had the longevity of any of my LiON devices.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm definitely picking up one of those new controllers with the dongle. I wonder how you tell the controller what to connect to when your PC and XB1 are in the same vicinity of each other.

Duxxy3

See, these aren't invalid opinions, but I also don't see why it has to be something like this. Granted, I don't go on 6+ hour gaming sessions (often) but I've never had a problem with my DS4s that I cannot just stick it onto my charging cradle and be done with it. I'd rather just set something to charge when I'm not using it than have to swap batteries.

That and I've had Eneloops wear out on me already in my 360 controllers as well as flashlights and multimeters and what have you. I have 4 of them that don't hold a charge anymore, 2 of my 360 official battery packs have stopped charging altogether. All of them use NiMH, so it's no surprise they haven't had the longevity of any of my LiON devices.

Had a couple marathon sessions while playing through GTAV this past weekend. The dualshock 4 died on me on both occassions. Had to resort to plugging it in if I wanted to continue. I'd rather just have the option to swap out AA's than be forced to plug in a "wireless" controller.

The 3.5mm jack is a good addition, it works great on the DS4.

1 question though, what happens if you controller drops out of sync during a controller firmware update?

Velikost

This is essentially how the Xbox 1 should've launched.

I may have to find a way to upgrade for cheap; I need the space, and the matte finish is pushing me over the edge. I'll wait to see what the Halo 5 console will look like first though

It's not a "new controller", it's a minor evolution of the current controller.

I consider it a new controller. I also consider the Dual Shock 3 as a new controller from the Six Axis, and the Wii Classic Controller Pro as a new controller from the Wii Classic Controller. Hell, I even consider that 360 controller with the new dpad as a new controller.

chadskin

Not sure if mentioned but lol, the new model costs €449 in the German Microsoft Store:

ZPvTrbS.png

Pachter was right, no price cuts at E3 because that's a €50 hike compared to the €399 RRP of the 500GB model. And for reference, you can get the 500GB for just €333 at Amazon.

npa189

Stoked for the adapter, just wish I didn't need to wait until the fall. Good price at $25, hopefully the fuses won't blow in these like they did with the 360's wireless adapter.

Do they honestly think that going back up to $399 is a good idea?

Sony will likely do the same, $399 1TB + $349 500GB model then they are right back where we started from. Also if Sony shocks the world with $349 1TB then they are in a world of hurt.

Everything is awesome, but the price is head-scratching.

$65 for the controller and $25 for the wireless adapter? God damn that's ridiculous. I'll get the bundle when it goes on sale or something. I'm not paying that much right now.

I'll just stick with the DS4 and 360 controller for now.

HarryKS

After watching Larry Hryb's presentation, I now truly understand why companies like to hire good looking young models to showcase new products.

MANGOD

Banned
This should have been the perfect time for microsoft to introduce an xbone that was HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant. BALL DROPPED

Had a couple marathon sessions while playing through GTAV this past weekend. The dualshock 4 died on me on both occassions. Had to resort to plugging it in if I wanted to continue. I'd rather just have the option to swap out AA's than be forced to plug in a "wireless" controller.

However that feeling when your 360 controller is about to die, it's late at night, you go to replace your AA batteries, look in the packaging...and it's empty.

Heh, I'm 32 with a baby on the way and I live in the suburbs. The days of going over to a friends house to play games is over so that's not a major driver for me. lol :(

If you format the HDD to save Xbox games, you can't use it for anything else, right? Or can I save PC files elsewhere on the HDD?

Thanks for the recommendation, btw.

Pretty much in the same spot, I've only used the feature twice haha but its still nice.

I believe that once its formatted for XBO, it can only be used for XBO purposes unless you re-format.

MSRP $349 for the 500GB and $399 for the 1TB lets them (or the stores) cut prices whenever they want I suppose?

So if Target wants to clear out the 500GB I wouldn't be surprised to see them 'on sale' for $299.

I feel this gives them the most flexibility in pricing.

I wonder how much the Halo 5 console is going to be.. I hope it's not $449.

$65 is for the Camo version of the controller - it will be shipping standalone later in the year at the same price as the current one.

Bumpers changed from hinged at the top to a full button - depending on grip, people were having a hard time pressing them from the top.

Perhaps people missed Mic Monitoring...

Removable Batteries are always going to be the default. I know it's controversial but we think being able to swap out batteries and keep playing is better.

Wireless Adapter for Win10 will support audio and multiple controllers.

Welfare

Removable Batteries are always going to be the default. I know it's controversial but we think being able to swap out batteries and keep playing is better.

Yes it is. Charging cables for my PS3 was not good when I have a drawer full of batteries waiting.

mrg6290

$65 is for the Camo version of the controller - it will be shipping standalone later in the year at the same price as the current one.

Bumpers changed from hinged at the top to a full button - depending on grip, people were having a hard time pressing them from the top.

All good stuff. But what's this about mic monitoring?

And really good to hear the Win10 adapter supports multiple controllers.

Thanks.

iMax

Everything is cross-compatible. You can use the old headset if you want the physical buttons. New headsets will have inline controls.

Hey Albert! OT but can you please get rid of the white Xbox logo in the top-right of the dash to stop it burning into my plasma? Thanks :)

Justified

All good stuff. But what's this about mic monitoring?

And really good to hear the Win10 adapter supports multiple controllers.

Thanks.

Allows you to hear your own voice from within the headset. This is useful for helping to avoid the feeling of needing to shout for other players to hear you

Will the wireless adapter work with Windows 7/8 systems?

mike4001_

Hey Albert! OT but can you please get rid of the white Xbox logo in the top-right of the dash to stop it burning into my plasma? Thanks :)

Don´t let your xbox sit on the dashboard for hours ?

Do something with it or turn it off ;-)

Top Bottom