• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Ogbert

Didn’t Microsoft start the no used games, assigned to your console only, check in 24/7 and DRM fiasco which caused a massive backlash? Not to mention last time I checked, they have an all digital console as well that has the same intentions as Sony’s. Not sure buying up companies and forcing them to make games for a subscription service is as pro consumer as people think.

You’re mistaking my intentions. I’m not saying MS are virtuous. Of course they’re not. Neither is Sony. They’re behemoth giants that care about their profits.

But competition *is* inherently good for us, as it moves the industry on and allows us to vote with our wallets.

Gamepass could fundamentally alter how we consume video games. This week feels like everyone has gone ‘oh shit, this is what MS is looking to do’.

And the great thing is, it will force Sony to become more competitive, certainly in price. Because in three or four years, mid next gen, their charging 70 dollars for a game, when Starfield drops on Gamepass is going to be harder for them to justify.

It’s a good thing. Genuine competition where it matters - our wallets.

MS never actually did it so no.
MS planned on doing it but no one was ok with it so they had no choice but to change their plan before they launched.

Just the idea they tried it in the first place is scary though. Microsoft had to scrap those plans because the backlash was unlike anything I’ve ever seen, except maybe TLOU2. I’m hoping we’ll never see anything like that again, but with the direction the industry is heading in, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was attempted again by someone later.

martino

You’re mistaking my intentions. I’m not saying MS are virtuous. Of course they’re not. Neither is Sony. They’re behemoth giants that care about their profits.

But competition *is* inherently good for us, as it moves the industry on and allows us to vote with our wallets.

Gamepass could fundamentally alter how we consume video games. This week feels like everyone has gone ‘oh shit, this is what MS is looking to do’.

And the great thing is, it will force Sony to become more competitive, certainly in price. Because in three or four years, mid next gen, their charging 70 dollars for a game, when Starfield drops on Gamepass is going to be harder for them to justify.

ms needing something appealing (even it's still not really games) to reverse current course for the next gen....
we were going to go for 1 to 3-4 ratio and an even more dominant Sony.
Now there is hope things will be probably a little more balanced.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yes but they could just let them operate as a wholly owned subsidiary and let them continue as normal except for their games being exclusive...which I think must be taken seriously, given the strong hints.

There are literally no hints. Let alone strong.

"Their brand is visible basically everywhere in Tokyo right now as it has been for decades. " Nah you are talking about billboards.

Translation of the above. "I can't counter your argument, so I'll turn it into something else."

I never once mentioned billboards. If you don't know the difference between "brand" and "billboards" I can't help you. Billboards aren't even that visible because Tokyo's chock full of a million of them. Sega's arcades? you can't miss them if you try.

The japanese would probably CRINGE because someone who only spends
a quarter of their time there is telling foreigners exactly how the Japanese think and whats important to them.

With every clumsy line you write, you prove more and more that you don't know a thing about what "the Japanese" think. I'm quite positive not many would "cringe" about someone who knows their culture and actually has regular and extensive contacts with them trying to educate someone who is dreadfully ignorant about Japan, but thinks he can discuss about the ins and outs of the country.

if I stayed with my relatives in France

I'm not visiting my relatives. I go there thrice a year for over a month each time for work and I'll move there stably as soon as COVID ends. I work with Japanese people. Go out to drink with them. Date them. Go to gaming stores with them. Go to arcades, amusement parks and the like with them. I speak their language. Read their news in their own language. Discuss with them about history, politics, business, games, and much more. Most of my friends are Japanese because that's where I have more time to go out. On the other hand, you've proven once more that you don't have a single contact with them, but you come here pretending you can tell us which brands are iconic for them and which aren't? You're literally full of crap.

PS: If I knew nothing about France like you know nothing about Japan, and someone who goes there regularly, even just to visit his relatives, had the patience to try to educate me about France, I wouldn't pretend I know better. That's just basic logic.

Last edited:

Oh I definitely agree with you and competition is exactly what we need, but I was mostly countering the point about Sony being the one trying to get rid of used games when that to my knowledge started with Microsoft. Yeah, things should get really interesting next generation.

CS1 R&D (includes Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
CS2 R&D (also includes Sonic Team)
Creative Assembly (Total War)
Sports Interactive (Football Manager)
Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes and Dawn of War)
Amplitude Studios
Two Point Studios

And Atlus that would hurt Sony and Nintendo a lot in Japan.

There are also mobile and arcade studios.

If MS buys Sega, they could put a lot of money on Atlus and make them a JRPG machine, releasing a shit ton of titles to get consumers in Japan and worldwide. Then MS would have all RPG flanks covered.
It will not hurt Nintendo and Sony. That will only hurt themselves.

ripeavocado

Banned
They didnt care when Sega was shuttering stuff. All their arcades are gone.

There is no national pride in SEGA.... maybe some random Otakus would care but as it is half of their corporate assets are owned by chinese companies already.
Whats the difference?

Sega was founded by americans

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Microsoft to Warren on twitter: "You're not ready yet".

The final reversal elbow will be violent :) (even if it's not about Sega)

Camreezie

No fucking way will this happen so soon after Bethesda. However this would be a huge W for Microsoft. Lots of big franchise potential along with the studios

JLMC469

Banned
If this happens (I don’t think it will) tomorrow will be a bloodbath.

ZeniMax and SEGA in the same week?! Again, don’t think it will happen.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Persona 5 sold 1.4 millions worldwide...

Persona sells quite well for this type of game
Yeah on PlayStation, where their audience is. Watch it quickly die when separated from the crowd that enjoys it. They're not going to move from the console with all the Japanese support.

Xbox is already well behind in sales, did you see the germany / polish figures?

Over 40K PS5's for one retailer vs a few hundred Xbox's.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I work with Japanese people. Go out to drink with them. Date them. Go to gaming stores with them. Go to arcades, amusement parks and the like with them. I speak their language. Read their news in their own language. Discuss with them about history, politics, business, games, and much more. Most of my friends are Japanese because that's where I have more time to go out.

247660_1.jpg

lock2k

Banned
Yeah on PlayStation, where their audience is. Watch it quickly die when separated from the crowd that enjoys it. They're not going to move from the console with all the Japanese support.

Why the hell do you guys think all Sega fans are into Yakuza and Persona? I never played a Persona game in my whole life and I'm a huge Sega fan.

I like Sonic and all of their arcade output.

Gimme Sega Rally, Daytona, Super GT, Puyo Puyo, Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, Streets of Rage, Kid Chameleon over those franchises;

Sorcerer

Has there been any rumor of Sammy wanting to unload Sega at all? It this is true Microsoft did an amazing job of keeping this quiet.

Aion002

Sure... But everything has a begining.

If MS buys Sega and wants to have a foothold on JRPGs, they will need to start with something.

If MS wants to win more consumers, they will need to have all types of games and JRPGs are their weakest point.

I honestly hope that they don't buy Sega... But if they do, well... I hope they have a plan at least.

LordCBH

and you guys call yourself gamers? fans of series? Not sure if this is funny or sad?

If your cool with fucking over everyone who petitioned and fought to keep the Yakuza series alive over here then fine. But I’m done if they pull that shit.

And here’s the thing. I actively encouraged and supported it going multiplatform so more people could enjoy it.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
If your cool with fucking over everyone who petitioned and fought to keep the Yakuza series alive over here then fine. But I’m done if they pull that shit.

I'm with you.
Making Yakuza also available to Xbox fans all around the world? Great.
Using that as the starting point to show all the older fans the middle finger and forcing them to buy another console? No way, see ya and good bye for good.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm with you.
Using that as the starting point to show all the older fans the middle finger and forcing them to buy another console? No way, see ya and good bye for good.
It's all about trying to strong arm the industry into MS vision of a subscription gaming future....

No choice is consumer friendly now. Once they buy a few more companies they think everyone will HAVE TO get on board.

lock2k

Banned
I'm with you.
Like Konami did with their little MSX game called Metal Gear lol

Damn this thread is fun.

pasterpl

And here’s the thing. I actively encouraged and supported it going multiplatform so more people could enjoy it.

if you support a series it shouldn’t matter on what plastic box you play it, or you never supported that series in the first place and you really only Support that plastic box

Honestly this would really surprise me, there's like 0 chances of this happening (specially a rumour coming from 4chan, if only it came from 2ch..). Anyways, I must admit the thread is really entertaining.

Bryank75

Banned
if you support a series it shouldn’t matter on what plastic box you play it, or you never supported that series in the first place and you really only Support that plastic box
Sick of this 'plastic box' stuff.... that has been our ecosystem for 10-25 years.

If someone comes into your country and takes all your food and puts it in their country and says, either eat over there or you dont get to eat, is that right?

DarkBatman

It's all about trying to strong arm the industry into MS vision of a subscription gaming future....

No choice is consumer friendly now. Once they buy a few more companies they think everyone will HAVE TO get on board.

If the industry is really changing that way, gaming is done for me. Sure, I'll keep my Switch for some entertainment and gaming nights with the family, but "the big consoles" can go to hell.

Until yesterday it was fun competition, Sony buying this promising studio (Naughty Dog, Insomniac), MS buying this promising studio (Ninja Theory, Obsidian). But just buying a big publisher who brought multi platform joy for years because you've got the money?
Nah, this just pisses me off. And I'll just say it in case a crying fanboy jumps me: It would be the same if Nintendo or Sony would have made such a bullshit move.

If the series got big with that plastic box (for example Yakuza with PS 1, 2, 3 and 4), it matters though.
Because the developers know that those people who were there every step of the way will stay with that system.

lock2k

Banned
Sick of this 'plastic box' stuff.... that has been our ecosystem for 10-25 years.

If someone comes into your country and takes all your food and puts it in their country and says, either eat over there or you dont get to eat, is that right?

Sony and Capcom did that with Street Fighter, Sony and Square did that with Final Fantasy. Playstation also got the Mega Man games that SNES had prior. All of my SNES owning friends went and bought a PSX, I was a Sega console owner and I also said no to the Saturn because although it had some cool gems its line-up paled in comparison to what the Playstation offered. I bought a Playstation because it had several Street Fighter games (including my beloved EX) and also because of Tekken (I missed out on Virtua Fighter but I was able to get my fix later on the DC and PS2).

I bought a Playstation and I loved it to death for that whole generation because it had a fuckton of blockbusters. Only idiots care about this allegiance with a plastic box. I go where the games go. This whole country comparison is bonkers.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
If this turns out to be fake, that blue and white controller will look really odd.

Why would they release such a strange specific colour combination? Xbox has never been associated with blue and white (It's the same colour as PS5 game boxes :messenger_grinning_squinting:)

MastaKiiLA

Sega's value would not be in any Japanese market appeal, or the value of any current games they make. It would be in their catalog of arcade IPs that have been largely collecting dust. That was the successful Sega that has people thinking this is currently a good deal. That's where Sega made their name. Not with Persona or Yakuza, but with Daytona, Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, Virtua Tennis, and others. that's what you buy. And if the company is in dire straits right now, then now is a good time to grab those IPs. Sega the game developer isn't going to move the needle in Japan or any other market. But the potential to have one of your now large number of studios remake/reboot an old Sega IP would be a nice win for GP.

I didn't mention Sonic, but that's probably the feather in the Sega cap, with lots of potential for rebooting the franchise due to the financial and critical success of the recent film. But these are developments that would be years away, as I doubt that any work has begun in this direction recently. Sega the software company has somehow managed to be less competent than Sega the hardware manufacturer. Instead of transforming into a game development juggernaut, with their closet full of greats, they've become an industry has-been, who've somehow stumbled into minor successes with a couple of new IPs. It's mind-boggling. You almost wish MS or someone else would step in to help get that company back to where many of us thought they would be. At present, they're just waiting to die. All my opinion. Haven't played a Sega console game since the Genny. Haven't played a Sega arcade game since university, in the late-90s. I have fond memories, but don't see the value outside of wresting intellectual properties from a company that doesn't know what the fuck it's doing with them.

DarkBatman

If this turns out to be fake, that blue and white controller will look really odd.

Why would they release such a strange specific colour combination? Xbox has never been associated with blue and white (It's the same colour as PS5 game boxes :messenger_grinning_squinting:)

They had the same controller with a black backside.
I guess it makes sense seeing how the XSS is white and a lot of casual gamers will certainly get additional controllers for that one.

I bought a Playstation and I loved it to death for that whole generation because it had a fuckton of blockbusters. Only idiots care about this allegiance with a plastic box. I go where the games go. This whole country comparison is bonkers.

And only idiots call other people idiots just because they value their own opinion.
Oh, and they lose discussions by default.

martino

If the industry is really changing that way, gaming is done for me. Sure, I'll keep my Switch for some entertainment and gaming nights with the family, but "the big consoles" can go to hell.

Until yesterday it was fun competition, Sony buying this promising studio (Naughty Dog, Insomniac), MS buying this promising studio (Ninja Theory, Obsidian). But just buying a big publisher who brought multi platform joy for years because you've got the money?
Nah, this just pisses me off. And I'll just say it in case a crying fanboy jumps me: It would be the same if Nintendo or Sony would have made such a bullshit move.
If the series got big with that plastic box (for example Yakuza with PS 1, 2, 3 and 4), it matters though.
Because the developers know that those people who were there every step of the way will stay with that system.
this is hypocrite at best.
developer know people support them if sales stay good between games.they don't care which plastic box and which they logo you play them on
so why did it matter ? some loyalty to what ?
be honest with yourself for god sake....

Yeah, we .. people willing to pay full price and that value ownership are REAL gamers.
when box and the logo weights more than the content , no.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Sony and Capcom did that with Street Fighter, Sony and Square did that with Final Fantasy. Playstation also got the Mega Man games that SNES had prior. All of my SNES owning friends went and bought a PSX, I was a Sega console owner and I also said no to the Saturn because although it had some cool gems its line-up paled in comparison to what the Playstation offered. I bought a Playstation because it had several Street Fighter games (including my beloved EX) and also because of Tekken (I missed out on Virtua Fighter but I was able to get my fix later on the DC and PS2).

Nintendo made life difficult for developers and it resulted in some going to PlayStation.

They were not bought out and PS did not wan to move ownership away from consumers.

What we are talking about now is a hijacking of the industry by force. Buy outs with the intention of removing ownership in the longterm.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It would be very rare for a japanese company to acquired by a foreign company but at this point I expect anything to happen.
At the same time Sony acquired American companies, so I guess it could be possible.
I own a PC but I won’t buy the games there if they take them away from PlayStation. Period. I would rather see franchises like Yakuza and Persona die than to see them taken from the fan base that made them big in the first place.
Stunning and brave

Bryank75

Banned
this is hypocrite at best.
developer know people support them if sales stay good between games.they don't care which plastic box and which theylogo you play them on
so why did it matter ? some loyalty to what ?
be honest with yourself for god sake....

when box and the logo weights more than the content , no.
Principles.

chaseroni

I own a PC but I won’t buy the games there if they take them away from PlayStation. Period. I would rather see franchises like Yakuza and Persona die than to see them taken from the fan base that made them big in the first place.
If that fanbase switches over are they really "Taken" from anyone? They still get their games

Baby brain mentality in this thread, kickin and screamin

lock2k

Banned
Nintendo made life difficult for developers and it resulted in some going to PlayStation.

They were not bought out and PS did not wan to move ownership away from consumers.

What we are talking about now is a hijacking of the industry by force. Buy outs with the intention of removing ownership in the longterm.
Fair enough, you have some good points.

Top Bottom