• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

PresetError

Neophyte
MS is just doing what Sony has been doing since they launched the Play Station line.
The only difference is its on a larger scale but its the same thing.
Anyone that was ok with Sony buying out devs and exclusives that has a problem with this is just being hypocritical.

The case you describe it's not me but what about the people that have been complaining about anti-consumer Sony for years and now is celebrating Microsoft doing it?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They arent even worth what Bethesda was.

You know when you repeat things someone else said... it kind of makes it glaringly obvious what part hurt you the most.
You turned the LOL back because you subconsciously perceive it as a weapon because you felt hurt.

The reason is because you know you're a prick picking fights for no reason, while cherry picking whatever little tidbits you can
to resurrect your dead point.

And an ADVERTISEMENT in a big city doesnt make something iconic sir. If thats all it takes I guess you think Planet Fitness is "iconic" because
they have a bunch of locations and everyone wears their hats in times square (because they sponsor it)

Or lets go a step further.. I guess you think GRASSHOPPER is an iconic phone company .... If you dont then youve never once been
to the USA because they have ads all over cities.

L O goddamn L again.

Your writing makes my brain hurt.

I'm not even talking about ads. I'm talking about Sega arcades. Tokyo's full of them in basically every popular location, and they're extremely visible. Some of these popular locations have multiple.

But what do I know, I just stay in Tokyo 3 months a year and have for the past 9 years excluding the past 6 months due to travel restrictions. I'd be there right now if the border was open 😂

From the ludicrous ideas you express, I would be surprised if you have ever even talked to a Japanese gamer, let alone having any idea about what they think. 😂

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Apart from Phantasy Star, which I've heard very good things about, what else are Sega doing these days.

Man ya'll need to think bigger. I don't know but I am foaming at the mouth at a next gen Virtua Fighter, Daytona, etc.. Not only that, but imagine if the Dreamcast catalog was on Game Pass? And Saturn?

GetemMa

Nah. I don't buy it. I would be very surprised. SEGA is a big arcade company. It's not just all consoles for them at all. I don't think MS is that desperate to get into Japan and if they were, SEGA is the answer? When your competition is a very strong Nintendo and a very strong Sony, I don't think SEGA gets you much action in Japan. They make a few good games and own Atlus, but compared to Nintendo these are niche franchises. Obviously not impossible but I don't think MS gains a lot from this acquisition unless they are really wanting to get in on the Japanese arcade/slot scene.

I'm not even talking about ads. I'm talking about Sega arcades. Tokyo's full of them in basically every popular location. Some of these popular locations have multiple.

But what do I know, I just stay in Tokyo 3 months a year and have for the past 9 years excluding the past 6 months due to travel restrictions. 😂

From how you speak, I would be surprised if you have ever even talked to a Japanese gamer, let alone having any idea about what they think. 😂

"Their brand is visible basically everywhere in Tokyo right now as it has been for decades. " Nah you are talking about billboards.

I love your personality. Its so reasonable. Full of interesting ad hominem accusations and assumptions.
I like how you brag about staying in Japan as a guest. The japanese would probably CRINGE because someone who only spends
a quarter of their time there is telling foreigners exactly how the Japanese think and whats important to them. It would be like
if I stayed with my relatives in France every summer and began to lecture someone from Germany on french culture because you see... I've been there every year
and they have NO IDEA what they are talking about... No... the news is wrong, numbers are wrong, sales are wrong, absolutely my bubble
as an outsider spending time in France dictates what the french TRULY believe.

Firstly, Japan isnt a country of console gamers. Its a full country. Just because a few percent of the population likes a company doesnt mean
its iconic to the entire country and its some kind of national treasure. In the USA everyone has heard of MAACO, they were all over TV, all over
billboards, MAACO everywhere. Nobody would cry if MAACO were acquired.

What makes MY brain hurt is the fact that you've made a lecture out of a comment that was not directed at anybody as argumentative and
have proceeded to spew a litany of bizarrely framed fallacious arguments.

Ad hominem
No true scotsman
argument from authority.

Man I can tell you one thing... You should have stayed home and gone to summer school instead of visiting Japan.
Maybe signed up for a debate class.

Last edited:

spookyfish

Wild speculation and rumors are two different things.

Also, Microsoft has a Japanese studio. It's called Tango Gameworks.

This Bethesda acquisition thing certainly had one clear effect. It made people on the internet 20 times dumber. 😂

PS: don't title things as fact when you're just vomiting crap from 4chan, please.

Not laughing with derision. Laughing because I agree with you.

mykedo0909

i was really wondering on why the new yakuza game was promoted like that, and even more confused about that blue controller.... coincidece?

Bryank75

Banned

I'm not even talking about ads. I'm talking about Sega arcades. Tokyo's full of them in basically every popular location, and they're extremely visible. Some of these popular locations have multiple.

But what do I know, I just stay in Tokyo 3 months a year and have for the past 9 years excluding the past 6 months due to travel restrictions. I'd be there right now if the border was open 😂

From the ludicrous ideas you express, I would be surprised if you have ever even talked to a Japanese gamer, let alone having any idea about what they think. 😂
Yes but they could just let them operate as a wholly owned subsidiary and let them continue as normal except for their games being exclusive...which I think must be taken seriously, given the strong hints.

I wouldn't like it and I think it is bad for Sega and it's IP's.

Unless they just bought Sonic...

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
What about the $50 price drop that was happening today?

This is someone capitalizing on yesterday’s news.

poodaddy

Waiting for Microsoft to come and buy my house at this point.
If they offer me 150 on what I paid I'll be making out like a bandit.

Microsoft! My property would be perfect for a game studio space! I mean sure it's right in the middle of fucking Nowhere WA but......imagine the productivity with the time saved on commuting, and it's extremely close to a liquor store as well!

Cash up front.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Eh, I mean it's cool, but ultimately kinda anticlimatic, no? I mean, first off, I don't believe this is true, but even if it is...I'm trying to think what does SEGA have that I would really want at this point?

Ogbert

The case you describe it's not me but what about the people that have been complaining about anti-consumer Sony for years and now is celebrating Microsoft doing it?

Whilst there is an element of hypocrisy, there really is a fundamental difference.

MS is putting these on a subscription service that is the annual cost of less than two Sony releases. It's demonstrably pro-consumer, in that it's giving us a lot more for a lot less.

What actually *is* anti-consumer is Sony trying to lead people down the digital PS5 route, to destroy the second hand game market and make sure everyone pays top dollar on their store.

Bryank75

Banned
Whilst there is an element of hypocrisy, there really is a fundamental difference.

MS is putting these on a subscription service that is the annual cost of less than two Sony releases. It's demonstrably pro-consumer, in that it's giving us a lot more for a lot less.

What actually *is* anti-consumer is Sony trying to lead people down the digital PS5 route, to destroy the second hand game market and make sure everyone pays top dollar on their store.
By producing vastly more disc versions and barely any DE's?

I don't think you have that right....

Dural

Personally, I would rather this happened than Bethesda and think it would have made more sense for the company. They could rebadge it a Sega console in Japan and have all of Sega's legacy on Gamepass. Probably could have gotten them for less than 7.5 billion too.

PresetError

Neophyte

You can't possibly be THAT naive. If you think Microsoft won't pass their spending on to you if/once they have the gaming market on chokehold you're setting yourself for a hard awakening.

Last edited:

Aion002

What all studios would they actually get from a SEGA acquisition?

CS1 R&D (includes Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
CS2 R&D (also includes Sonic Team)
Creative Assembly (Total War)
Sports Interactive (Football Manager)
Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes and Dawn of War)
Amplitude Studios
Two Point Studios

And Atlus that would hurt Sony and Nintendo a lot in Japan.

There are also mobile and arcade studios.

If MS buys Sega, they could put a lot of money on Atlus and make them a JRPG machine, releasing a shit ton of titles to get consumers in Japan and worldwide. Then MS would have all RPG flanks covered.

Last edited:
You can't possibly be THAT naive. If you think Microsoft won't pass their spending on to you if/once they have the gaming market on chockehold you're setting yourself for a hard awakening.
no but you see, you cant destroy a secondhand game market if you never own the games to begin with because you are just renting them [image of that guy tapping his head]

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

FUCKING DO IT BASED PHIL!

PresetError

Neophyte
no but you see, you cant destroy a secondhand game market if you never own the games to begin with because you are just renting them [image of that guy tapping his head]

Exactly. In fact, gaming isn't almost entirely a digital market since 2013 because of Sony. The nerve you need to blame Sony for that unavoidable transition that Microsoft has been pushing for decades...

Last edited:

FStubbs

If Microsoft were going to buy Sega, they're 20 years or more too late. They'd be an actual competitor for Sony if they had done this back in 1998-2000.

martino

I'm sure that if you ask them correctly they will tell you what is anti consumer is buying specific game (time or full exclusivivity) from studio and not to buy studio and take the risk and commitment to produce the content yourself (with consequence when you fail)
what ms did is what sony did with most of their own studios. they just did it quicker on a big scale because they can (and really needed it to stay relevant)

Last edited:

splattered

CS1 R&D (includes Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio)
CS2 R&D (also includes Sonic Team)
Creative Assembly (Total War)
Sports Interactive (Football Manager)
Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes and Dawn of War)
Amplitude Studios
Two Point Studios

And Atlus that would hurt Sony and Nintendo a lot in Japan.

There are also mobile and arcade studios.

If MS buys Sega, they could put a lot of money on Atlus and make them a JRPG machine, releasing a shit ton of titles to get consumers in Japan and worldwide. Then MS would have all RPG flanks covered.

Nice! I'd like to see a chart of all the current and previous popular games associated with each studio.

Would that include Arc Systems games or is that totally separate? I can't remember the relationship with developer/publisher and who did what. I'm thinking it's totally unrelated though..

PresetError

Neophyte
I'm sure that if you ask them correctly they will tell you what is anti consumer is buying specific game (time or full exclusivivity) from studio and not to buy studio and take the risk and commitment to produce the content yourself (with consequence when you fail)
what ms did is what sony did with most of their own studios. they just did it quicker on a big scale because they can (and really needed it to stay relevant)

Yeah, because people didn't cry at all about Sony first party games like Bloodborne, Spider-man or Persona 5 not being multiplat although they were funded by Sony. By the way, paying for a timed exclusive is also funding a game and taking a risk.

Last edited:

Ogbert

You can't possibly be THAT naive. If you think Microsoft won't pass their spending on to you if/once they have the gaming market on chokehold you're setting yourself for a hard awakening.

Of course.

And when they behave like that, Sony or Nintendo or whoever it may be will come up with the more compelling offer for customers.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Microsoft Xcloud will use Sega's fog gaming in japan with a bunch of extra Sega games included in the local game pass.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
MS could make up there sever lack of Jrpgs with a purchase like this. AKA.... I want a new AAA phantasy star!

I guess they could also resurrect shinobi, shinning force, virtua fighter, virtua on, daytona, alex kid and altered beast AFTER that though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Didn’t Microsoft start the no used games, assigned to your console only, check in 24/7 and DRM fiasco which caused a massive backlash? Not to mention last time I checked, they have an all digital console as well that has the same intentions as Sony’s. Not sure buying up companies and forcing them to make games for a subscription service is as pro consumer as people think.

MS could make up there sever lack of Jrpgs with a purchase like this. AKA.... I want a new AAA phantasy star!

I guess they could also resurrect shinobi, shinning force, virtua fighter, virtua on, daytona, alex kid and altered beast AFTER that though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I would love to see those and a new OFFLINE Phantasy Star, but Sega seems obsessed with the online one for some reason. I’ve been requesting it for years and years.

martino

Yeah, because people didn't cry at all about Sony first party games like Bloodborne, Spider-man or Persona 5 not being multiplat although they were funded by Sony. By the way, paying for a timed exclusive is also funding a game and taking a risk.
port beg =/= claiming it's anti consummer .
It seems you're mixing a lot of things

Genx3

Didn’t Microsoft start the no used games, assigned to your console only, check in 24/7 and DRM fiasco which caused a massive backlash? Not to mention last time I checked, they have an all digital console as well that has the same intentions as Sony’s. Not sure buying up companies and forcing them to make games for a subscription service is as pro consumer as people think.

MS never actually did it so no.
MS planned on doing it but no one was ok with it so they had no choice but to change their plan before they launched.

levyjl1988

Banned
Would be amazing for Microsoft to get Sega. All their IP and Sonic as a mascot. Microsoft can make a Sonic game well and Sonic did so well in theatres.

Personally, I would rather this happened than Bethesda and think it would have made more sense for the company. They could rebadge it a Sega console in Japan and have all of Sega's legacy on Gamepass. Probably could have gotten them for less than 7.5 billion too.
Why not both gif

Top Bottom