• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's extremely pleased that Microsoft acquired Besthesda, I don't see them acquiring Sega but I guess you never know after yesterday. I have no real interest in Sega so Microsoft acquiring them would be "meh" for me.

The fun part is that he isn't just juvenile, but also ignorant. He seems to believe that since "asobo" can mean "let's play" in Japanese, it's a Japanese company. It's actually French.

And people here are giving this crap credit. People on GAF sure are guillible.

He is wrong, but Asobo literally was named Asobo for that exact reason

Did you know “Asobo” means “let's play” in Japanese? This is the perfect match with our philosophy: Quality for every type of players / True moments of thrill and challenge / Fun in doing our job every day.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

I find it hard to believe. Wasn't Sega one of the videogame companies making more money in the recent years?

Would be massive if true, Sega has also studios like Atlus...

celsowmbr

Banned
d15ff61086144a282e7529ec6c63d540.jpg

New JSRF
New Daytona
New Sega Rally
New Headhunter
New House/Typing of the Dead
New Power Stone
New Virtua Fighter

Come on MS do it!!!

Can I add... some stuff?

New Dragon Force
New Single player Phantasy Star
New Shinobi
New Skies of Arcadia
New mainline Shining Force

God... I could keep at this all day.

That said there was really nothing stopping them from shoveling some of this out years ago. . . and yet..... :-C

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I really don't think this would go down well in Japan were it to happen. It'd be a blow to national pride to see a historic brand like Sega fall to foreign control.

I really don't think this would go down well in Japan were it to happen. It'd be a blow to national pride to see a historic brand like Sega fall to foreign control.

They didnt care when Sega was shuttering stuff. All their arcades are gone.

There is no national pride in SEGA.... maybe some random Otakus would care but as it is half of their corporate assets are owned by chinese companies already.
Whats the difference?

Last edited:
i think sega-sammy net worth is close to $4-$7 billion range.

I personally think its a good thing, because they will finally get the funding they deserve to bring potential talented Japanese star developers back:

Yuji Naka
Yu Suzuki
Yukio Futatsugi
Tetsuya Mizuguchi

I want a new:
Virtua Figher
Fighting Vipers
Sega Rally Championship
Daytona USA
Sonic
Nights
Space Channel 5
Burning Rangers
Shining Force
Virtual On
Sakura Wars
Phantasy Star (i think they are already making that)

I don't even care if this rumor is false. If MS and Sega are seeing the positive reaction to this rumor going on right now it makes it more likely to happen. People in the industry do read gaming enthusiast forums like this no? will this shit into existence

Maybe it won't be MS buying Sega but all Sega games on Gamepass Day 1 would be amazing.

Flintty

What if they bought a large stake but left Sega with the controlling percentage. That could work.

MarkMe2525

As an Xbox fan I'd be excited for more exclusive content. As a gaming enthusiast, this would be awful. This would be closer to to a monopoly than I'm comfortable with, and would only fuel the fanboy conspiracies of MS becoming a 3rd partystudio/service provider in the future.
Also Xbox fan here, I wouldn't mind if they didn't go the exclusive route. Just give it to me on gamepass day 1 and that in itself justifies my purchase. Everyone should be able to play good games.

NickFire

If this is true I'd much rather see MS drop the prices of the consoles with this money. I was a Sega guy all day for a decade or more, but that ship has sailed. Its just a name now IMO.

Daxter32jak

What’s happening right now in the gaming industry is something I haven’t seen in a long time. This is armageddon levels of drama.

Microsoft acquiring Sega would send shockwaves in the entertainment industry as a whole, I’m talking beyond video games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What if they bought a large stake but left Sega with the controlling percentage. That could work.

Any sort of strategic alliance would be fine, but transfer of ownership that impacts support for Sony and Nintendo would come across as overly hostile I think.

As to the person who wrote that SEGA was originally an American company, that's entirely besides the point as its been a major Japanese employer serving Japanese customers for decades. Using it as a chip to force uptake of American hardware in Japan would not sit well.

People need to get it through their heads that this is not about it being anti-Sony. Sega does not only support them, they support Nintendo also.

Last edited:
Yeah they cant tap into it because nobody is trying to play those games.

Please.

There's a reason PSO2 got picked up for an English translation after what seemed liked decades of demand. Why VF still holds so much sway in the FGC even when the last release was in 2012. Why games like PD Saga, Virtual-On, Daytona etc. both have a lot of staying power in the retro scene and have spiritual successors today. And if in case you're blind, a lot of these multiplayer games coming up the past few years have a lot of inspiration from arcade games of the past, including a lot of SEGA's.

Don't make blanket ignorant statements like they're a fact just because you don't have the personal taste for something. The world's more than just you.

SEGA was formed from a merger between a Japanese company and American company

In 1940, American businessmen Martin Bromley, Irving Bromberg, and James Humpert formed Standard Games in Honolulu, Hawaii.

After the United States government outlawed slot machines in its territories in 1952, Bromley sent employees Richard Stewart and Ray LeMaire to Tokyo to establish Service Games of Japan to provide coin-operated slot machines to U.S. bases in Japan

SEGA has been a Japanese/American company since its very inception. Also, Japan isn't particularly anal about Japanese companies being bought out by foreign ones (MS technically owns Tango now, for example).

It's just with some very specific companies that'd be considered vital to the Japanese economy and pillar as a global power that are likely off the table for being bought out, such as Sony.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Any sort of strategic alliance would be fine, but transfer of ownership that impacts support for Sony and Nintendo would come across as overly hostile I think.

As to the person who wrote that SEGA was originally an American company, that's entirely besides the point as its been a major Japanese employer serving Japanese customers for decades. Using it as a chip to force uptake of American hardware in Japan would not sit well.

Still a 'Murican company.

069.png

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They didnt care when Sega was shuttering stuff. All their arcades are gone.

LOL.

You really shouldn't talk shit when you don't know what you're talking about, you know?

They have closed ONE arcade recently.

They have FOUR still open in Akihabara alone (which is where the one that closed was), in a 300 meters range, without mentioning the countless others they have all over Tokyo and other Japanese cities.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Still a 'Murican company.

069.png

Dude, its been a banner week for MS in Japan if sales got above 3 digits over the last decade. Its a market that neither needs nor wants their presence. And it wont take much for that ambivalence to be translated into antagonism if they try and force the issue.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Please.

There's a reason PSO2 got picked up for an English translation after what seemed liked decades of demand. Why VF still holds so much sway in the FGC even when the last release was in 2012. Why games like PD Saga, Virtual-On, Daytona etc. both have a lot of staying power in the retro scene and have spiritual successors today. And if in case you're blind, a lot of these multiplayer games coming up the past few years have a lot of inspiration from arcade games of the past, including a lot of SEGA's.

Don't make blanket ignorant statements like they're a fact just because you don't have the personal taste for something. The world's more than just you.
Fair enough regarding personal taste but dont results tell you something?Like maybe its you that is allowing ur personal taste to exaggerate the mass appeal of these games?
There's always a lot of nostalgia for these old games but it always new games that make for the best investments. And thats what buying these studios is, an investment. So why buy old ip when you can buy studios making new.

Again, it comes down to price at the end of the day.

LOL.

You really shouldn't talk shit when you don't know what you're talking about, you know?

They have closed ONE arcade recently.

They have FOUR still open in Akihabara alone (which is where the one that closed was), in a 300 meters range, without mentioning the countless others they have all over Tokyo and other Japanese cities.

"....worsening conditions reduced the profitability of Sega's Japanese arcade business, prompting the closure of 246 locations ...."

"...(October 2, 2009). "Sega to Close Arcades, Cancel Games, Lay Off Hundreds"
"...June 28, 2012). "Sega to close five European, Australian offices" ..."

Sega is literally a SHELL of what it once was.

Why did this strike a nerve with you?

You obviously weren't there for the worst of it, as a sega fan watching Sega move from an industry giant to mostly a third party publisher
was rough. Most of their "Arcade" business now is gambling machines.
hpL5CS2.jpg

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Dude, its been a banner week for MS in Japan if sales get above 3 digits for the last decade. Its a market that neither needs nor wants their presence. And it wont take much for that ambivalence to be translated into antagonism if they try and force the issue.

I know this will not happen but imagine the tears. They would be so delicious. :messenger_beaming: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

CitizenX

Banned
Keep supporting a monopolist, then wonder 10 years from now what went wrong.

Noticed no one has brought up that term i was thinking about that yesterday. The chocie is what everyone wants but right now the biggest exclusives from 3rd party EA and Bethesda are all under one umbrella. Not good IMO.

Fair enough regarding personal taste but dont results tell you something?Like maybe its you that is allowing ur personal taste to exaggerate the mass appeal of these games?
There's always a lot of nostalgia for these old games but it always new games that make for the best investments. And thats what buying these studios is, an investment. So why buy old ip when you can buy studios making new.

Again, it comes down to price at the end of the day.

What is "mass appeal"? A game can sell anywhere between 250K to 250 million and depending on the person's perspective anything in that range is "mass appeal".

It's a flaky term; at the end of the day you look to see if the budget and advert dollars were recovered, and if anything around 1.5x profit over costs were gained, if not more. If that's met, then the game is generally considered successful I would think.

Not all types of games need everyone's attention, either. In some ways, being a game with that wide an appeal hurts it creatively, because as it expands to appealing to more people, it has to dumb itself down to the lowest-common-denominator and also water down more risque features or concepts in the fear those could offend any large segment of the expanding audience.

You're also severely underestimating the selling power of nostalgia, especially if it's paired with a good product and lots of advertising. We've literally had so many examples of it the past few years it's not even funny.

(about the new blue controller)

Might wanna prepare to go offline Thursday because I don't think the internet will be able to handle all the hits from another nuke. Two in one week would be too much xD.

...Granted they aren't just playing along and trolling on this. Hard to tell (the blue/white controller does look pretty cool tho. Pairs nicely aesthetic-wise with the DualSense controller).

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
What is "mass appeal"? A game can sell anywhere between 250K to 250 million and depending on the person's perspective anything in that range is "mass appeal".

It's a flaky term; at the end of the day you look to see if the budget and advert dollars were recovered, and if anything around 1.5x profit over costs were gained, if not more. If that's met, then the game is generally considered successful I would think.

Not all types of games need everyone's attention, either. In some ways, being a game with that wide an appeal hurts it creatively, because as it expands to appealing to more people, it has to dumb itself down to the lowest-common-denominator and also water down more risque features or concepts in the fear those could offend any large segment of the expanding audience.

You're also severely underestimating the selling power of nostalgia, especially if it's paired with a good product and lots of advertising. We've literally had so many examples of it the past few years it's not even funny.

All the mini consoles and whatnot :)

Kerotan

Well Konami do fuck all these days so if MS bought them and actually put their ips to good use that is a good thing. Likewise if Nintendo or Sony bought them. Sega don't push the needle much. Yakuza is the most important game they have on playstation and it doesn't shift many ps4's. But yes if they bought them both it would probably force Sony to react. I good see them targeting someone like Take Two.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
So when is TGS? And when is the MS presentation?

It starts on Thursday, the MS presentation will be the same day.
So one of the most important parts of the rumor is already debunked. The timing.

This is dirty. They know everyone is talking about the Sega rumor right now. If there isn't something announced soon Sega fanboys will be crying.

Let's just assume it's really just a new controller and no Sega acquisition: what are they supposed to do?
Put a * after each answer with a kind "No, we're not buying Sega" attached to it?

BTW: The German Xbox account tweeted the same and didn't care at all to put a hidden "Sonic" into their wording, they just translated the "Still iconic".

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned

Might wanna prepare to go offline Thursday because I don't think the internet will be able to handle all the hits from another nuke. Two in one week would be too much xD.

...Granted they aren't just playing along and trolling on this. Hard to tell (the blue/white controller does look pretty cool tho. Pairs nicely aesthetic-wise with the DualSense controller).
The whole color thing is hard to see and think there's not SOMETHING up.

But either way, good for you guys if you really enjoy those older games and they get investments of some type. Im all for a well rounded portfolio, i just dont expect it to happen in this case.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
All their arcades are gone.

"....worsening conditions reduced the profitability of Sega's Japanese arcade business, prompting the closure of 246 locations ...."

"...(October 2, 2009). "Sega to Close Arcades, Cancel Games, Lay Off Hundreds"
"...June 28, 2012). "Sega to close five European, Australian offices" ..."

Sega is literally a SHELL of what it once was.

Why did this strike a nerve with you?

You obviously weren't there for the worst of it, as a sega fan watching Sega move from an industry giant to mostly a third party publisher
was rough. Most of their "Arcade" business now is gambling machines.
hpL5CS2.jpg

Someone is moving the goalposts.

Most of their "Arcade" business now is gambling machines.

Also false. Sega owns and operates tons of traditional arcades, with video games and without a single pachislot in them.

Incidentally, Sega has been doing better and better over the last several years. For a "Sega fan" you don't seem to know much about Sega. 🤔

Top Bottom