• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Dodkrake

Banned
Just a while ago there were like 3 threads lamenting Microsoft as bad because they didn't have a lot of upcoming exclusives and now we have people lamenting about exclusives in general because Microsoft has now more exclusives.

NEOGAFTM

That's a total misrepresentation of this. Xbox getting an imperial fuckton of exclusives should make people excited and happy. Now, MS or Sony buying studios to get existing multi-platform IP's as exclusives is a disservice to gamers and consumers. Same with timed exclusives, I hate them.

This to say that "MS is buying X studios, Sony should retaliate" is a disservice to all of us gamers, because it will limit our choices. Fuck it, Im a playstation man, and I'd hate Sony to get an exclusive on GTA, for example, or COD. Millions of people enjoy those games on Xbox or PC, and "forcing" them to buy a PS5 just because it's now exclusive goes against what I believe as a gamer. This is why I stand against EPIC, not because of them offering games cheaper, or free, or whatever, but because they force exclusives on their store. They force gamers that want to play day 1 to buy on their horrible platform.

And even though I'm a playstation fan, I'm still considering a Series S, just FYI.

Last edited:

martino

That's a total misrepresentation of this. Xbox getting an imperial fuckton of exclusives should make people excited and happy. Now, MS or Sony buying studios to get existing multi-platform IP's as exclusives is a disservice to gamers and consumers. Same with timed exclusives, I hate them.
No, this is so wrong .... it's only a problem for sony fanbase
And i'm really curious to known how much sony locking big exclusives played into it.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Ladies and gents, please... This shit is obviously fiction written by a 12 year old.

cCLnbv3.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

This to say that "MS is buying X studios, Sony should retaliate" is a disservice to all of us gamers, because it will limit our choices. Fuck it, Im a playstation man, and I'd hate Sony to get an exclusive on GTA, for example, or COD. Millions of people enjoy those games on Xbox or PC, and "forcing" them to buy a PS5 just because it's now exclusive goes against what I believe as a gamer. This is why I stand against EPIC, not because of them offering games cheaper, or free, or whatever, but because they force exclusives on their store. They force gamers that want to play day 1 to buy on their horrible platform.

And even though I'm a playstation fan, I'm still considering a Series S, just FYI.
Probably OT, but...umm you do? Why? That shit does not even sell at this point.

It's not as straightforward, no. Japan's Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act (FEFTA) dictates that foreign direct investment into certain business sectors is subject to screening by the relevant ministries. Not sure if SEGA would fall under FETA but Sony, for example, absolutely would.

It's pretty straightforward, yes.

What you are saying is akin to companies getting regulatory approval in the US and other Western countries during M&A. Or the whole deal with TikTok now. Japan has their own rules on M&A like every other country and they'd go over it and either approve or reject it. And I'm pretty sure you can't just lay off staff after an acquisition in Japan.

Point is, western companies can acquire Japanese companies if they so desire as some already have.

Dodkrake

Banned
Probably OT, but...umm you do? Why? That shit does not even sell at this point.

Because some games, like Forza, are not enjoyable for me on a PC, even though I can play them at a higher quality. Why shouldn't I buy it? I also have a Nintendo Switch

M1chl

Because some games, like Forza, are not enjoyable for me on a PC, even though I can play them at a higher quality. Why shouldn't I buy it? I also have a Nintendo Switch
Cool then, I just based on picture was kind of surprised : ) Cool so potentially enjoy obviously : )

Don't worry.

I'm sure most Bethesda games will be multiplatoform. They sell a lot.

But the more copies you buy on PS5 for $70, the more it subsidizes Game Pass gamers who paid $1 for 3 years like me.

So buy up!

You do realize GamePass's true motive is to get as many people hooked on the service / buying Xbox Console while it's a cheap service, then they will jack up the price in a couple of years when the actual exclusives start coming to the platform, meaning you will have paid them like ten bucks a month for two years for barely any great games(adding up to hundred of dollars of service fees) , and once the real system sellers start coming in ,they will probably bump the price to 30/40 bucks a month, and people will be stuck with a console that's asking them to pay a premium each months to get games they might have not bought otherwise.

If a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. There's a reason why Sony thinks it's unsustainable to give away all their first party titles for ten bucks a month... It's because it IS unsustainable in the long run. You can't just keep spending 10 Billion dollars on buying developers so you can charge 120 bucks a year for a service... That's bad business, and the only reason MS is doing this now is because they are in the monopoly buisness and they want to get as many people away from PS5 as they can by offering something that's too good to be true, only for the reality to surface in a couple of years.

Last edited:

cireza

Looks really unlikely.

I mean, this is "Microsoft buys Zenimax" levels of impossible. Who would seriously believe that Microsoft buying SEGA can happen ? Get real.

Dodkrake

Banned
Cool then, I just based on picture was kind of surprised : ) Cool so potentially enjoy obviously : )

The picture is just fun craic on Xbox, nothing else. I'm sad that most "exclusive" games by MS end up being subpar, because that only drives competition down. That's why we got the amazing PS4 gen with a fuckton of exclusives at a very high standard.

Cool, I'm just glad MS made a move this big because it sure has seemed to ruffle some feathers and if anything it's helped MS fans have something to shout about. It was starting to feel pretty one sided so this bit of re balancing is welcome in my opinion. Sony can't become too complacent.

Journey

Banned
Sony builds it's Studios from the ground up (with the exception of Insomniac i think).........

Microsoft it's taken a different road, a more aggressive one, its bigger the acquisition of Sega than Bethesda in my opinion, and it's wrong i think

Nope, in the early days, Sony acquired studios as well. Certain tactics like timed exclusives that gamers despise, were pioneered by Sony.

M1chl

The picture is just fun craic on Xbox, nothing else. I'm sad that most "exclusive" games by MS end up being subpar, because that only drives competition down. That's why we got the amazing PS4 gen with a fuckton of exclusives at a very high standard.
I have PS4 Pro just for exlusives, which probably say it all, however I am enjoying playing on X1X way more, due to being more powerfull and also being more invested in MS ecosystem. But as time goes by, I am less and less fond of the big budget AAA and something like Wasteland 3 caught my attention really hard and I would not played it, if not for GamePass (but that it's on PS4, so...), however which also means good things in future of this service, if it keep delivering what is delivering.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You do realize GamePass's true motive is to get as many people hooked on the service / buying Xbox Console while it's a cheap service, then they will jack up the price in a couple of years when the actual exclusives start coming to the platform, meaning you will have paid them like ten bucks a month for two years for barely any great games(adding up to hundred of dollars of service fees) , and once the real system sellers start coming in ,they will probably bump the price to 30/40 bucks a month, and people will be stuck with a console that's asking them to pay a premium each months to get games they might have not bought otherwise.

If a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. There's a reason why Sony thinks it's unsustainable to give away all their first party titles for ten bucks a month... It's because it IS unsustainable in the long run. You can't just keep spending 10 Billion dollars on buying developers so you can charge 120 bucks a year for a service... That's bad business, and the only reason MS is doing this now is because they are in the monopoly buisness and they want to get as many people away from PS5 as they can by offering something that's too good to be true, only for the reality to surface in a couple of years.
What $10 per month for two years?

Many us us over the past year did the $1 upgrade for 3 years. I’m good till 2022.

even if MS charges everyone regular price later, who knows what it will be. It’s currently $15 US per month for Ultimate. You have no way of knowing what the price will be later so your FUD “$30-40” is moot.

I’ll decide later to continue at regular price or not in 2022.

in the meantime, you’re paying full price on PS5 and GP gamers are getting first party games, EA Access, and nice Bethesda games.

So as I said before, buy up $70 Bethesda games so it helps cover $1 guys like me. And EA too so EA Access continues in GP with year old games.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Ladies and gents, please... This shit is obviously fiction written by a 12 year old.

cCLnbv3.png

The fun part is that he isn't just juvenile, but also ignorant. He seems to believe that since "asobo" can mean "let's play" in Japanese, it's a Japanese company. It's actually French.

And people here are giving this crap credit. People on GAF sure are guillible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony builds it's Studios from the ground up (with the exception of Insomniac i think).........

Microsoft it's taken a different road, a more aggressive one, its bigger the acquisition of Sega than Bethesda in my opinion, and it's wrong i think
ND. Sucker punch, MM, evolution (gone), guerilla, and Insomniac are all acquisitions.

Ozrimandias

Nope, in the early days, Sony acquired studios as well. Certain tactics like timed exclusives that gamers despise, were pioneered by Sony.
Ok you're right, but we can agree that it was different, acquired Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog back in the day, than acquired Sega or Bethesda Now

The fun part is that he isn't just juvenile, but also ignorant. He seems to believe that since "asobo" can mean "let's play" in Japanese, it's a Japanese company. It's actually French.

Fanboys in general are desperate for action because the console war of the past few years has been dry.

Komatsu

What you are saying is akin to companies getting regulatory approval in the US and other Western countries during M&A. Or the whole deal with TikTok now.

Was the US M&A legal regime ever challenged as “overly protectionist”, “full of bureaucratic friction” and “opaque” in official trade negotiations at the WTO (Doha round, etc)? Don’t think so.

The reason the Abe government made such fanfare over the ease of some restrictions in 2017 is precisely because the government knows FDI in Japan is challenging.

Every single acquisition you listed, from Renault’s investment in Nissan to Walmart moving into Japanese retail, required extensive negotiation, local technology transfer guarantees, etc etc.

I worked for a particularly big Japanese company in the early 2010s and this was a daily topic of discussion. Highly doubt things have changed much.

lock2k

Banned

Juvenile or not you seem to be one of the most worried posters if such acquisition came to fruition :messenger_beaming:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Juvenile or not you seem to be one of the most worried posters if such acquisition came to fruition :messenger_beaming:

I just don't enjoy misinformation and find people being so gullible rather hilarious.

Nice try, really, but I'm a PC gamer first and foremost and buy all platforms. I don't need to be "worried" about petty console squabbles.

Last edited:

M1chl

I was confused at that also, what does Asobo has to do with Japanese market.

martino

Nice, another full misrepresentation of what I said. Use your brain and take the console warring somewhere else.
780615.jpg

the irony.gif
after yesterday all gamer count suddenly !
the monopoly / anti consumer fud some of you are pushing could credible with a different post history.

i can give you 3 more realistic reasons :
  • pit's PR and they are talking about the competition
  • they can't do it
  • they need higher profit margin from this activity

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I was confused at that also, what does Asobo has to do with Japanese market.

Nothing. "Asobo" means "Let's play" in Japanese. The source of this fake rumor is likely a weeb who just assumed it was a Japanese company due to the name.

Was the US M&A legal regime ever challenged as “overly protectionist”, “full of bureaucratic friction” and “opaque” in official trade negotiations at the WTO (Doha round, etc)? Don’t think so.

The reason the Abe government made such fanfare over the ease of some restrictions in 2017 is precisely because the government knows FDI in Japan is challenging.

Every single acquisition you listed, from Renault’s investment in Nissan to Walmart moving into Japanese retail, required extensive negotiation, local technology transfer guarantees, etc etc.

I worked for a particularly big Japanese company in the early 2010s and this was a daily topic of discussion. Highly doubt things have changed much.

I truly think you are missing the point. You haven't said anything that contradicts what I said. Every company has to abide by the rules and regulations of a country where the M&A is taking place. Disney had to concede a lot to keep Fox Sports in Brazil, for example. Every country has their own BS and complication when it comes to M&A. Japan is no different.

Regardless the point is very simple. US and foreign companies can acquire Japanese companies if they so desire. It has happened before and it can and will happen again. The Japanese regulatory process, which is what you seem to be focusing on, is not what I'm trying to discuss.

Wina

Neo Member
So $10 billion to get Phantasy Star and Yakuza IPs? Not worth it, I'd pass.

4b, and remember Sonic, Total War, Football Manager (One of most played games on Steam), Virtua saga, Warhammer 40k, Megami Tensei and licenses for lots of brands.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Translation of the above. "I've been thoroughly schooled and I don't have actual words to respond, so I'll try to get away with a GIF"

Ah, little console warriors are indeed always a source of comedy. 😂

Last edited:

FranXico

ND. Sucker punch, MM, evolution (gone), guerilla, and Insomniac are all acquisitions.
And all of those tiny (especially back then) compared to either SEGA or Bethesda. Buying a studio does not have the same impact as buying a publisher holding.

The solution to deal with a bully: empower a far bigger bully, and expect said giant to never turn on you.
Sounds like a brilliant plan.

Top Bottom