• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

yurinka

Well, if I'm not wrong Sega Sammy Corporation has a market cap of less of the size of what MS paid for Bethesda.

LordCBH

Saw this in Reddit

Tm6rpJQ.png

You have my absolute undivided attention, sir and or madam.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh, incidentally, since someone is still taking this crap seriously...

Microsoft's TGS event is not on Wednesday. It's on Thursday (and Sega's starts on Friday). Goes to show how much this 4chan anon knows. 😂

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
Please MS, for a Japanese studio...but FromSoftware instead!

Sega doesn't really make great games anymore, besides Yakuza, although they do have an awesome IP portfolio.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
C'mon is just for fun

Stupidity isn't fun. As I said before, if there's one thing Bethesda's acquisition achieved, is that it made people dumber.

So what, MS gonna pull a Disney? Buy everything up, make it suck.... profit?

But Thur in Japan is Wed in California....

No. It's not. The event is at 9 PM Japan time, which is 5 AM on Thursday in California.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

It would make a lot of sense for MS to grab Sega.

It would give them an in road in Japan and while Sonic is not what it used to be its still decent.

But the main thing people forget about Sega is Creative Assembly. Microsoft would get the Total War franchise. Its a LOT bigger than you would think.

total war would be great fit for game pass. They would only really need something sports related, a pes with fifa support for example, and they would cover all popular gaming genres.

MS has absolutely killed sony when it comes to genre diversity: actual rpgs, sims (flight and car), arcade racer, tim schaffer genre, turn based, first person shooter, etc. etc. All for like $10 USD per month.

As someone who kinda hates sony action adventure woke story games with lite rpg stuff, and has been waiting for them to put money into other types of games....well....

giphy.gif

actually glad I missed out on the sony pre order cluster fuck, lol.

Mmnow

No it wouldn't because no one in Japan gives a shit about anything Microsoft does and they aren't going to buy into a whole service just for Persona.
That's a strange comment. You're saying two things here:

1. That nothing Microsoft will ever do in Japan will be good enough. That's stupid. If they bought Nintendo tomorrow, people would still keep buying Nintendo products. It's not impossible for Microsoft to get into the Japanese market, but it's not easy when your biggest sellers are Halo and Gears of War.
2. That Persona available on mobile phones for cheaper than on console would be a failure because they wouldn't buy into the service.

As opposed to releasing it on the biggest console ever - big consoles being something Japanese consumers have repeatedly avoided - at nearly 40 times the price. ($499+70/$15)

Microsoft needs Asian games to break into the Asian market, but they also need a model that appeals to Asian gamers. That's a two-pronged problem that Xcloud is already solving in places like Korea, and Persona and other Sega titles would go far towards that too.

Not that this is happening. I just think you're wrong with what you're saying.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Translation in English:

8b4b32b8a74eba284a3538331852105f.jpg

That gesture is a common gesture that simply means "no" in Japan.

It's the whole reason why the X button on Japanese PlayStation controllers is the "go back" button instead of the action button.

They're teasing something indeed, and it's the merchandise they're gonna sell for TGS, which they can't show yet.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC is worth around 3 billion dollars.

But that is with all things - resorts and those ball-machines etc.

Just SEGA (the game developer) is probably around 1 billion dollars.

Oh then this might be true! MS clearly has $1 Billion they are willing to spend on ALL OF SEGA gaming. Like come on guys, it's a smart move if you truly want to be the Netflix of gaming. You have to spend money for content.

Sega is a publicly traded company and is protected by Japanese corporate buyouts from foreign companies. You can't just announce this at a show. We would have already known about it

Okay I didn't know this. I'm back to thinking this can't happen now. Nothing here to see folks!

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh then this might be true! MS clearly has $1 Billion they are willing to spend on ALL OF SEGA gaming. Like come on guys, it's a smart move if you truly want to be the Netflix of gaming. You have to spend money for content.

The other party also has to want to be purchased. Anyone who thinks anyone at Sega wants that doesn't know Sega.

Aladin

Sega is a publicly traded company and is protected by Japanese corporate buyouts from foreign companies. You can't just announce this at a show. We would have already known about it
Japan adheres to various investment standards in trade agreements with western countries. If sony was able to buy american studios, the reverse is similarly possible. Investment protection and encouragement is reciprocated.

I know this is just a ridiculous rumour but still doesn't make it any less of a nightmare fuel.

Persona/SMT games exclusive to Xbox. They basically sell no copies (or get no play on gamepass) in and out of Japan. Atlus dead and shuttered within a generation. Let all JPRG lovers hope and pray this nightmare never comes true, as implausible it may be.

That gesture is a common gesture that simply means "no" in Japan.

It's the whole reason why the X button on Japanese PlayStation controllers is the "go back" button instead of the action button.

They're teasing something indeed, and it's the merchandise they're gonna sell for TGS, which they can't show yet.
I have no idea why I never made the connection until this post that the Xbox is literally the No Box in Japan.

Should have localized it as the Obox and maybe added a 69. Obox 69 would have sold unlimited units.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Japan adheres to various investment standards in trade agreements with western countries. If sony was able to buy american studios, the reverse is similarly possible. Investment protection and encouragement is reciprocated.

But it would have to be publicly known before the purchase

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have no idea why I never made the connection until this post that the Xbox is literally the No Box in Japan.

Should have localized it as the Obox and maybe added a 69. Obox 69 would have sold unlimited units.

Hold on! "X" in Japanese is equal to "NO" in English? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They've been saying the NoBox in Japan this whole time? How has nobody told MS this yet?

lock2k

Banned
I still think this rumor will lead to nothing but damn, it's so much fun to see the amount of salt here before it even happens (if it happens at all). The oceans would be jealous of it. Suddenly we have hordes of people who now care about Sega and experts in Japanese law. lmao

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Some of them are not bad.

Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA, Condemned, Ecco The Dolphin, Football Manager, House Of The Dead, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Sonic, Space Channel 5, Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Striker, Virtua Tennis, Yakuza and fuking god tier Seaman.
Theres value there.

FranXico

Oh, incidentally, since someone is still taking this crap seriously...

Microsoft's TGS event is not on Wednesday. It's on Thursday (and Sega's starts on Friday). Goes to show how much this 4chan anon knows. 😂
I would chalk that down to time zones. If it's an authentic leak.

VAVA Mk2

Around 15 years or so ago, authorities would act on Microsoft. But they're one of the biggest lobbyists in congress now, therefore pretty much unstoppable.

Make no mistakes, they are taking over the industry and are going to gateway everything everyone plays. This isn't just about "crushing Sony". It's about absolute control.

True gamers who love the hobby should not support this. But here we are.
If Sony was doing this, the narrative would be different.

SvXsMZl.jpg

Another rumor from 4chan. this rumor though was floating around for decades, Microsoft need a Japanese studio for the Japanese market, they are going first in the next Tokyo Game Show this Wednesday, will they finally confirm this old rumor?

This video explains the long history of Microsoft with SEGA

Edit: a hint from Xbox??

We need a mind_blown reaction emote.

If this is what it takes to get a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake or sequel....welp, we know how these corporations get down. I'm still uneasy about these kind of big corporate purchases, but I can also separate my personal moral/ethical take on that while acknowledging the realities of the market and why these massive companies are doing it (and will continue to do so). Whoever ends up where, I just hope it's for the best for them and for us.

That being said, MS and SEGA have a hell of a long history, so this might actually end up happening. Just curious how the whole Sammy side of this would be handled; would they spin the SEGA side off, or would that come with the package?

Around 15 years or so ago, authorities would act on Microsoft. But they're one of the biggest lobbyists in congress now, therefore pretty much unstoppable.

Make no mistakes, they are taking over the industry and are going to gateway everything everyone plays. This isn't just about "crushing Sony". It's about absolute control.

True gamers who love the hobby should not support this. But here we are.

You have to operate within reality, not your feelings.

On a personal level I feel much the same way about this as you do. But I also know what these companies are after, and that in such respects, they're all eager enough to do this type of thing. If Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda, it'd of been Google, or Amazon, or Sony, etc. SOMEONE would've purchased them, so being okay with where they end up just comes down to personal preference.

But, I don't think people should use that personal preference as any way to strongly approve or condemn these sort of deals. It just is what it is. If people seriously wanted to shut this kind of stuff down, they'd of been adamant back when EA were buying out devs like Bulldog back in the '90s. They'd of been adamant when EA purchased exclusivity of the NFL license back in the early '00s (going by the sales of Madden games after that, most didn't seem to give a shit). If people were adamant about this stuff, they'd be balking against Sony buying out some of these massive 3rd-party exclusives and timed exclusives (I mostly saw people getting hyped and wondering how MS were even going to compete on that front).

People can't pick and choose when to get on this hill and be against these sorts of things; either bring that energy all the time or don't bring it at all. I'm honestly not fussed over these deals anymore: if that's what these corporations feel they have to do to compete, and have the means (money) to do so...why not flex their strengths. I do find it a bit ridiculous some are trying to say MS buying Bethesda is akin to a monopoly; it literally isn't. Bethesda might be a giant in and of itself, but they (nor MS) have any sort of majority control of the money or businesses in the gaming industry.

As long as these companies getting purchased are treated well, and get to creatively express themselves and get the support in resources needed to bring their visions to life, then I'll tolerate it. That doesn't mean it's idealistically what I'd prefer in a truly just business world, but I also have to learn to separate my idealistic wishes from the objective reality of how things actually are.

Last edited:
Hold on! "X" in Japanese is equal to "NO" in English? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They've been saying the NoBox in Japan this whole time? How has nobody told MS this yet?
sort of yeah, that is why tons of Japanese games with a table or chart use X and O (and triangle) to indicate things. (I'm trying to find a specific example, but you would recognize it when you see it)

chigstoke

Wonder if MS would have interest in utilising Sega’s Fog Gaming technology that they are using in arcades?

Just shooting ideas. But I expect naff all tomorrow.

Allandor

Sega has some fine games (I never liked Sonic) but I really don't think that this happens. Maybe just some games coming to xbox or something like that (e.g. joining gamepass). Nothing more.

Sega would be a great buy for MS, especially to get a foot into the Japanese market but I really don't think that this will happen.

But I really want to see a remaster of Alpha Protocol or part 2 of the game.

Top Bottom