• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

goldenpp72

I mean I guess it can't get much worse at Sega when all they can pump out is Yakuza. But this would require them to buy Sammy and I don't see why MS would do that.

nosseman

This is 100% possible if MS is willing to throw enough money at Sega. What do we think Sega is worth these days? $5 Billion?

SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC is worth around 3 billion dollars.

But that is with all things - resorts and those ball-machines etc.

Just SEGA (the game developer) is probably around 1 billion dollars.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Ehb5jg-UwAArO2n
To be fair, Sega neither developed nor published SoR4 or SC5VR. They just licensed the IP out. Same for Panzer Dragoon, Rez Infinite... They're kind of letting other people have a go at their old IP.

Komatsu

Very unlikely. Sammy would have to be willing to part ways with the company and SEGA is now a key part of their business.

That said, it would not be as big of a purchase. SEGA is not a big company, it always punched above its weight.

SF Kosmo

I mean I guess it can't get much worse at Sega when all they can pump out is Yakuza. But this would require them to buy Sammy and I don't see why MS would do that.
Sega's got a huge stable of IP, and they still have some pretty solid internal development studios. It's true Yakuza's the thing they milk to death, but MS backing could change that.

You act as if Microsoft is the market leader, when its not. Sony is nearly 2,5:1, worldwide and 10:1 in many markets. Oh, and I didnt read so much concern around here when just a couple of days ago there were multiple rumors of Sony approaching every single major publisher to sign exclusivity deals.
People keep bringing that rumor up but what substance is there to show for it? Where are all these moneyhatted Sony games? Am I to believe they made countless third party games exclusive and have decided to never tell anyone? So far there is FFXVI, which was also simultaneously announced for PC anyway.

The rest of the games, which were announced before that rumor like that trash Godfall and that stupid looking shooter, are PC releases too.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

SEGA is not a big company, it always punched above its weight.
Yeah, to a truly insane extent. When Nintendo was bullying third parties and Sega was forced to build a library on their own, they would turn out dozens of games during some years in their late 80s/early 90s heyday. Nintendo would put out like six games and Sega would put out like 60 between their console and arcade business. I don't think the industry has seen a developer that prolific before or since.

Astral Dog

I heard there are 'antitrust' laws supposedly preventing such hostile takeovers in Japan, but it would only apply to Nintendo and Sony i guess 🤔

Imagine the meltdown if MS went fully Disney and bought Nintendo and Sony?

they would then go onto Apple levels of wealth.
They can't afford $180 billion worth of companies. Japanese Government wouldn't allow it either.

It would also get blocked due to anti-monopoly laws. Microsoft would in one fell swoop control the entire gaming market.

Last edited:

nosseman

lock2k

Banned
They can't afford $180 billion worth of companies. Japanese Government wouldn't allow it either.

It would also get blocked due to anti-monopoly laws. Microsoft would in one fell swoop control the entire gaming market.
How did they manage to buy Mikami's studio then?

N30RYU

Isn't the akihabara Sega arcade game center closing??? maybe japan kicked them out after knowing this

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
People keep bringing that rumor up but what substance is there to show for it? Where are all these moneyhatted Sony games? Am I to believe they made countless third party games exclusive and have decided to never tell anyone? So far there is FFXVI, which was also simultaneously announced for PC anyway.

The rest of the games, which were announced before that rumor like that trash Godfall and that stupid looking shooter, are PC releases too.

And two Bethesda games.

reptilex

Banned
Yeah they're going to buy Sega. If they have 7,5Bn$ to rack for Zenimax, they have money to acquire Sega and clearly this official tweet is a teaser, there's no other reason why they would announce these specific colors and make a word play with S-till ic-onic.

Andodalf

Banned

PC and Mobile would still be bigger. Not sure how it'd go down in the courts, but It isn't clear cut at all.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Can't Microsoft just put in some effort and make their own PC store with full publisher support at this point? I mean, EGS is still trash, and Valve is still neglecting every mobile app they release, and Steam is improving slowly. Microsoft produce quality apps for mobile, and they keep improving, and their achievement system is great.

Last edited:

Veysetia

Im not sure how this specific acquisition would help either of them, Sega is better suited in Sony or Nintendos hands or standalone than in M$'s.

Mmnow

There's deader than dead and then there's Xbox in Japan. A Microsoft buy out of any Japanese company would be a death knell for so many franchises and IPs.
Japan loves portable gaming and Xbox wants a slice of that money. They famously don't have IPs that work well in Japan.

Persona 6 on Xcloud would be huge in Asia, if they can get it working.

Stuart360

You can see a picture of Altered Beast under her, so i dont think she's covering Sonic stuff.
Anyway why would a Japanese company joke around like this when its involving an American company buying them, a company Japanese people care little about?

Porcile

Japan loves portable gaming and Xbox wants a slice of that money. They famously don't have IPs that work well in Japan.

Persona 6 on Xcloud would be huge in Asia, if they can get it working.

No it wouldn't because no one in Japan gives a shit about anything Microsoft does and they aren't going to buy into a whole service just for Persona.

Top Bottom