• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

No way this happens. The source 4chan post clearly comes off as trolling:

ATTENTION. BETHESDA ISN'T THE LAST COMPANY THAT MICROSOFT WOULD BUY AND ANOUNCE THIS YEAR. THEY ARE GOING TO ANOUNCE THE ACQUISITION OF SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS ON THE TGS THIS WEDNESDAY.
They where going to announce it months ago but there was one main problem: Atlus. Atlus was skeptical about porting all the ip's they own to the pc and xbox. After the great sales they got with Persona 4 on PC now they are more open about start porting all to the pc and the xbox.
Other main factor that helped is how well it's the yakuza series selling on xbox thanks to the gamepass. That also it's the main reason of why they are not talking about the "Yakuza HD collection" on xbox. They want to remake yakuza 3 (A. K. A Yakuza Kiwami 3) and then launch the other games as an "Essential collection" (4, 5, 6, Dead souls and Ishin).
All this plus the fact that they are teaming with asobo makes it look that microsoft its decided to establish in the japanese market.

Genx3

Green jelly drinks are very common in Japan, you can get them practically anywhere.

Judging by that picture The Green drinks represent the Xbox consoles with the black straw being the XSX and the white spoon representing the XSS.

New Sonic game exclusive to Xbox/PC announcement coming at TGS.

LordCBH

All joking aside, I think it will be a partnership with some franchises, rather than a full buyout. Like some exclusive Sonic games or something.

That makes sense. I wouldn’t mind seeing them make a partnership to resurrect some long forgotten IP’s.

Genx3

All joking aside, I think it will be a partnership with some franchises, rather than a full buyout. Like some exclusive Sonic games or something.

If it was a buyout I think we'd know about it already.
How long can so many industry people keep a secret?
Probably a big time deal involving multiple games and starting with Sonic.
Similar to the deal they had during the OG Xbox era.

martino

Asobo is french, the fuck is he on
he was fooled because asobo means "let's play" in japanese
tenor.gif

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Hopefully they watch the threads and go "fuck it" and one year from now we have the Bethesda situation and a whole bunch of grown men crying. lol

I've slept on this and after some thinking, I don't actually believe MS are buying SEGA. For one SEGA's a public company, and we'd of seen hints of this in their stocks a lot earlier. Granted I don't know how far back talks between MS and SEGA might've gone insofar as a buyout, so that is a factor to take into consideration of course.

Additionally, SEGA has a LOT of other investments outside of games. CG films, for starters. Then there's the Sammy side of things, who mainly deal with pachinko games. Would MS buy them too, or split SEGA off? How would that even work? Does Atlus come with a SEGA buyout or not? Those kinds of questions.

However, where there's smoke, there's usually fire, and I think at the very least, MS and SEGA have some 3rd-party exclusive(s) collaborations underway. Not the new Yakuza and I highly doubt the next Sonic would be one either (now could MS get timed exclusivity? Maybe. But I don't honestly see the point; Sonic fans are mainly on Nintendo platforms these days, unquestionably, and I don't think MS sees Nintendo as a competitor in the same way they do Sony, let alone Amazon, Google, etc.).

I think MS are probably funding for some entries into genres that would help give them a boost in scenes they were relatively weak in this gen, on the Japanese side. Virtua Fighter still commands a lot of respect and interest in the FGC, and it's high-time for a new entry. The VF5 team are still at AM2, they're just usually busy with Hatsune Miku stuff. I can definitely see MS funding a VF6 as an Xbox exclusive, similar in condition to how Sony helped fund Street Fighter 5 as a PS4 console exclusive this gen. Maybe they'd also fund a JSR Future sequel, or a new Crazy Taxi, even maybe a new Chu Chu Rocket. SEGA has a ton of IP that would be a great fit not just for Gamepass but also the online era, especially considering how a lot of these big breakout BR-style games (Fall Guys, Among Us, etc.) have a lot of arcade DNA in their game design, something SEGA generally excelled at and arguably still do when you look at some games like Scarlet Dawn and World Driver's Championship.

This could even expand to stuff like a new Skies of Arcadia or Panzer Dragoon Saga remake/sequel; both fit the JRPG bill and MS already more or less have WRPGs on lock for the future outside of CDPR. I don't think they would do too much with stuff like Persona or SMT besides getting them day-and-date with Sony/Nintendo versions of those games, and maybe on GamePass.

So yeah, I don't think MS buying SEGA is happening. Too many things point to that not being the case (if I'm wrong though, I'll be the first to slap myself). But collaborative efforts between them similar in vein to what we saw on OG Xbox? That's absolutely a possibility on the table.

You guys can't be that gullible... 🤔

In terms of a buyout? No, that's not happening (most likely).

In terms of a partnership for 3rd-party deals and exclusive content? Pretty high chance IMHO.

Yep something's definitely going on with them now in terms of some kind of partnership. I don't think it's MS buying SEGA, though.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I'd settle for an English port of SF3 trilogy. I know they supposedly lost the source code, but couldn't they just grab a ROM off the internet like Nintendo allegedly did and work backwards? Maybe I'm way off base here. Or they could just make a new SF game in the play style of the old ones.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but think about it. Even Sega developers (not even CEO) would not care about Shining Force 3. The game was made by Camelot...

What would Sega teams would think of an outsourced game they probably didn't played ?

"- Takahashi ? Who is this Guy ? - Oh yeah, it's that Guy who fought all the time with Nakayama and stayed only a few years with us in the 90's. - Don't remember him".

All Sega teams were focused on the future Dreamcast projects, on Shenmue, on Skies of Arcadia...
The Sega staff have without doubt their favorite franchises like Sakura Wars, Skies of Arcadia but probably a few helped for Shining Force (Climax is not Sega). Amusement Vision did a good Shining Force Remake on the GBA but that's it. (Sales were probably not fantastic)

I have a good hope for other Sega Franchises but just a tight one for
a new Shining Force by Camelot.

Last edited:
It’s already Thursday in Japan.

Not yet. It's only just hit 1am here in Sydney, Australia. Japan still has two hours to go before midnight.

On this - not sure. A partnership seems likely, given the PSO2 news back at E3 last year, followed by PSO2 New Genesis and the Yakuza titles hitting Games Pass.

Having said that, I'd absolutely love for Sega to be purchased by Microsoft. I'm an old-time Sega fanboy (from back in the Master System days), and I remember wanting that after Sega bailed on the hardware space following the Dreamcast. Back then, it seemed like a no brainer with the likes of JSRF and Panzer Dragoon: Oorta hitting their platform as exclusives.

We'll have to wait and see.

Silvawuff

I want Microsoft to buy Amazon and Disney so we can watch our society melt into a puddle of abject capitalism. From this, new lifeforms will crawl from the ooze so we can start life anew.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
SEGA would be an interesting choice and would definitely help Microsoft break into the Japanese market where they've traditionally floundered. IF this rumor is true, I could even see Microsoft releasing the Series S | X in Japan as the SEGA Xbox. Like Zenimax, SEGA has a pretty interesting portfolio of studios including Atlus (Persona), Creative Assembly (Halo Wars, Total War), Amplitude Studios (Endless Space), Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes, Warhammer), Two Point Studios (Two Point Hospital), and Sports Interactive (Football Manager). This is on top of SEGA proper that has stuff like Sonic and Yakuza on top of their huge IP portfolio like Shinobi, Phantasy Star, and tons of others.

Would be interesting if true!

Kazza

I really don't see Xbox buying Sega, but more realistically I can see a games partnership, similar to what they had in the OG Xbox era. IMO, this would be a pretty good arrangement for both parties:

- Otogi 3. The original game on the Xbox got a sequel, so it must have sold fairly decently. FromSoftware are a famous brand in their own right these days, and an exclusive title from them would help to counterbalance Sony's Demon Souls Remake any Bloodbourner sequel.
- Total War and other PC games on Gamepass (or just ported to Xbox). Given how popular these are on PC, MS would have to pay a pretty penny to get these on PC Gamepass day one. I've heard that XSX will support keyboard and mouse, so maybe Sega's PC games can get ports to diversify the library
- Jet Set Radio 3. Unlike Otogi, JSRF doesn't seem to have been much of a success sales-wise, but a sequel probably wouldn't have to have a large budget (having cell-shaded graphics and not having a huge open world), and it would be a nice, quirky title to compliment their WRPG, shooter and multi-player library.
- Virtua Fighter 6. A top quality 3D fighting game would be another nice addition to the library, but I'm not sure how a series mainly popular in Japan would fare being an Xbox exclusive
Skies of Arcadia 2/Panzer Dragoon Saga 2. I would have thought this as unrealistic before, but given Xbox's recent love of RPGs and their funding of Phantasy Star, something like this is definitely a possibility.
Sega retro games on Game Pass. Xbox already have a lot of experience bringing old games to new consoles, and having Sega's back catalogue of arcade and console games would fill out Gamepass quite nicely and be pretty cheap. They have already brought most of the best OG Xbox and 360 games to their BC program, so this would be a nice source of new games.

I personally can't see a Sonic Xbox exclusive. I supposed the recent hit film may have given the series a boost, but it still feels like a Nintendo/Playstation series to me.

Astral Dog

Supposedly there are laws that prevent Microsoft (and Sony/Nintendo) to take over the big japanese companies like SEGA, Square Enix, Konami or Capcon

SirTerry-T

I don't really care if Microsoft buys them or not, as a longstanding Sega fan, I just would like them to be a bit more relevant and definitely a lot more respected by modern gamers.
The revisionism and ignorance regarding Sega and it's importance to videogames is saddening really.

Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
Not yet. It's only just hit 1am here in Sydney, Australia. Japan still has two hours to go before midnight.

On this - not sure. A partnership seems likely, given the PSO2 news back at E3 last year, followed by PSO2 New Genesis and the Yakuza titles hitting Games Pass.

Having said that, I'd absolutely love for Sega to be purchased by Microsoft. I'm an old-time Sega fanboy (from back in the Master System days), and I remember wanting that after Sega bailed on the hardware space following the Dreamcast. Back then, it seemed like a no brainer with the likes of JSRF and Panzer Dragoon: Oorta hitting their platform as exclusives.

We'll have to wait and see.
You should buy a new clock.

Bryank75

Banned
That would make more sense since Persona and SMT are very console specific franchises and don't really make sense for Xbox. But what do I know...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not sure what that has to mean (or if its even real) but:

EinF3LKVkAE75iR

edit: its real

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

If there's anything happening it could be SEGA games coming day of release to Gamepass for the foreseeable future.

No acquisition necessary.

Top Bottom