• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Stuart360

Around 15 years or so ago, authorities would act on Microsoft. But they're one of the biggest lobbyists in congress now, therefore pretty much unstoppable.

Make no mistakes, they are taking over the industry and are going to gateway everything everyone plays. This isn't just about "crushing Sony". It's about absolute control.

True gamers who love the hobby should not support this. But here we are.
Just remember you said this if Sony ends up buying Capcom, or Square, etc.

Almost certain this is just someone making up random bullshit, but a Sega acquisition might actually get me to switch. Persona and Yakuza are 2 of the main reasons I stick with Sony. If they were to become Xbox exclusives I'd really only be sticking around for Spider-man and God of War, and I don't know if I can justify a console buy on that.

carlosrox

Banned
If MS goes back to the 360 days they can buy whatever the fuck they want.

I'm real sure Sony fanboys would be against this and Buythesda if they were the ones footing the bill 🙄

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
MS buys Bethesda: "I never liked their games anyway"

MS buys SEGA: "I never liked their games anyway"

MS buys Nintendo: "I never liked their games anyway"

MS buys Take Two: "I never liked their games anyway"

Really funny some of the responses here. Especially since none of the games would disappear, they just -might- not release on one particular platform in the future.

Funny thing is your response isn't better - just typical fanboy bullshit we don't need in this forum.
You think fanboy responses are funny? Then don't react to them like a fanboy.

Barakov

Gold Member
The bullshit meter is off the charts with this one. With Bethesda it kinda makes sense but Sega? Can't really see how this would benefit them. Honestly, this would be extremely detrimental to a lot of franchises Sega puts out.

Halo0629

That would suck especially for yakuza fans who are used to playing it on the playstation. That's if ms acquires sega then lock the series on xbox/pc.

DarkBatman

That seems to be what you people want anyway.

Still isn't a good way the whole industry is moving to.
Don't get me wrong, seeing how MS just could reach Sony's type of first-party quality with their own studios, buying Zenimax was a damn smart move that just works if your pockets are deep enough.
But if Sony really reacts by buying another publisher/well-known studio, gamers will lose at the end of the day.

That would suck especially for yakuza fans who are used to playing it on the playstation. That's if ms acquires sega then lock the series on xbox/pc.

That would kill the series for me as a year long fan.
I welcomed them releasing their games on Xbox as well because the fanbase got bigger and more people got to enjoy the wonderful craziness of the whole franchise.
Selling out to MS and basically spitting on their day one community would just be an unforgivable dick move in my opinion. Especially because Sony didn't moneyhat the franchise in the past.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Not going to lie, i don't think this should happen, but my dream scenario would be:

- Microsoft buys Sega
- Gives Atlus unlimited Budget
- All future Atlus games comes to the West day 1.
- Microsoft lets all Atlus games release in All platforms.

Can you imagine a Persona 6 release in all platforms everywhere in the world day 1? That'd be insane.

6ff4ac98b9cc03c91728e4407f1a2aba.gif

Edit: Of course that will never happen.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

Phantasy Star by Obsidian, OutRun by Playground Games and House of the Dead by iD. Until this rumour is squashed, may as well go along with it and dream.

I can't see it, but I would love to see a SEGA badged Series X and S in Japan and for SEGA to use the Series X to power it's next-gen Arcade games

LarknThe4th

Honestly at this stage I dont think Microsoft "need" anything else, yesterday was the move, and the industry will be reeling from it for the rest of the decade

Keihart

Sega it's ATLUS too now right? it would be bonkers, like the end of times, the new Disney it's here kind of bonkers.

martino

They won't. And even if they did, that would only contribute to distance the industry from a monopoly.
A $100 billion company or a $1.6 trillion company - which is the most powerful and greater threat?
i don't like either but the narrative MS evil corpo/monopoly and sony is not don't stand if you think about it :
- Even if ms/sony buy 1-2 more publisher we would still really far from a monopoly when it comes to them.
- Balance between the two on hardware has to be better to prevent monopoly or too much power coming from there.
- MS unlike Sony don't lock IP to one closed box and what will happen in xenimax case has to be seen(at worst you can get them on PC or even streaming them everywhere the app is allowed)
- Wealthiness is not what make you dangerous, it's how you do business...PS is not better than MS there : it's also a brand built mostly with money-hat and buyouts. And imo their content policy is worst for consumer for obvious reasons
in the end they are same evil but one is a bigger fish.

Esppiral

Highly unlikely, but that would explain the recent yakuzas releasing on Xbox, Phantasy star online 2 being exclusive to Xbox and the timed exclusive Yakuza like a dragon.

DarkBatman

Isn't TGS opening on September 24th, so this Thursday? At least the schedule is saying that - and the MS showcase livestream with no next gen news is also scheduled for Thursday.

And:

In a new tweet, Xbox clarified that it will have "no new next-gen news" to share during its Tokyo Game Show lineup. Instead, it will focus on Japanese games and creators, updates for Microsoft Flight Simulator, and the Japanese Minecraft community.

Sounds like some PSO2, some Yakuza 7 XSX and maybe some Shinji Mikami stuff (would be a plausible thing after breaking the news of the Zenimax buy out).

martino

That's my point. Why do people assume the bigger fish is the lesser evil? It's absolutely not.
There are different evil and preference come down to how they seduce you.
To me, you overdramatising current situation and saying a Sony buyout would save us from a monopoly clearly show an advanced seduced stage from one them

Kokoloko85

worked for sony, lost track of the amount of studios they bought and killed starting from the PS1 era, just like everyone else.

I dont think Sony made a purchase of 3rd party Companies like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Bethesda in 2 years?
Sony worked with smaller studios and build them up. Im sure they’ve bought and let go of a few but not like this

FranXico

There are different evil and preference come down to how they seduce you.
To me, you overdramatising current situation and saying a Sony buyout would save us from a monopoly clearly show an advanced seduced stage from one them
And you painting the largest corporation as a non-threat to consumers (especially with their track record spanning decades), while minimizing the very real negative impact that a large publisher buyout is about to have on the gaming industry clearly shows your own extremely advanced stage of seduction.

Last edited:

xiseerht

I think they are going to enter a partnership with Sega . Where all Sega games and from their studios will come to Xbox as well. But I don't see them buying them straight out.

Bryank75

Banned
It's funny to see some responding like this has any merit.

The crap about Yakuza Kiwami 3 gives it away. The Kiwami series was done to refresh Yakuza 1 and 2 because they were PS2 games. 3 just got a remaster because it was already a modern Yakuza game and does not need a Kiwami.

Incidentally, whoever wrote this "rumor" doesn't know what they're talking about, look at this crap.

This complete cretin thinks Asobo is a Japanese company because "Asobo" means "Let's Play" in Japanese. They don't even know that Asobo (the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator) is a French studio.

What a dolt. 😂
I have no doubt this is next...even as a Sony fan.... it's too easy for MS just to buy everything. Who's going to stop them?
It's disgusting but nobody seems to care.

acm2000

I dont think Sony made a purchase of 3rd party Companies like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Bethesda in 2 years?
Sony worked with smaller studios and build them up. Im sure they’ve bought and let go of a few but not like this

psygnosis, eidetic games, naughty dog, incognito, guerrilla, zipper, sigil, evolution, bigbig, media molecule, sucker punch, insomniac etc etc

Sony are no different to MS, or any other big corp.

Top Bottom