• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

FranXico

psygnosis, eidetic games, naughty dog, incognito, guerrilla, zipper, sigil, evolution, bigbig, media molecule, sucker punch, insomniac etc etc

Sony are no different to MS, or any other big corp.
Oh absolutely, they would do everything MS is doing now, if they could. That's the thing though. They can't. Not now, not even 10 years from now. They're much less powerful.

Teslerum

Yeah thats how i see it. If it was 90's Sega then fuck me sideways!. I dont even know if Sega even have inhouse dev teams anymore, they seem to outsource everything these days.

Sega owns Creative Assembly, Relic (Which actually makes that rumor make more sense considering they are developing Age of Empires 4), Atlus, Amplitiude Studios, and Two Point Studios. So, not a bad haul for strategy and jrpg fans. Also the million of IP's still lying around as you already pointed out.

Kokoloko85

psygnosis, eidetic games, naughty dog, incognito, guerrilla, zipper, sigil, evolution, bigbig, media molecule, sucker punch, insomniac etc etc

Sony are no different to MS, or any other big corp.

None of them are the size of Bethesda that holds mutiple studios.
and like I said, Naughty Dogg, Guerilla, Media Molecule etc etc were all working with Sony on multiple games throughout the years before being purchased. A working relationship. And none of them were massive creators before Sony apart from Psygnosis and Evolution.

Sony Or Nintendo has not gone out there and outright spend 7 billion on a company like EA, Activision, Konami, Square etc. Smaller studios they have worked with as 2nd party yes

martino

And you painting the largest corporation as a non-threat to consumers (especially with their track record spanning decades), while minimizing the very real negative impact that a large publisher buyout is about to have on the gaming industry clearly shows your own extremely advanced stage of seduction.

What did i said again ? they are too evil i don't like that.
but you need to stop prophetic FUD and look what current context is and it's MS can punch back now when they were mostly irrelevant before that.

edit : but if this (big publisher acquisition) become a trend (especially if ms situation is better) then yes i will become worried.

Last edited:

Teslerum

I think they are going to enter a partnership with Sega . Where all Sega games and from their studios will come to Xbox as well. But I don't see them buying them straight out.

They already have considering Relic is making a Microsoft published game while owned by Sega.

acm2000

None of them are the size of Bethesda that holds mutiple studios.
and like I said, Naughty Dogg, Guerilla, Media Molecule etc etc were all working with Sony on multiple games throughout the years before being purchased. A working relationship. And none of them were massive creators before Sony apart from Psygnosis and Evolution.

Sony Or Nintendo has not gone out there and outright spend 7 billion on a company like EA, Activision, Konami, Square etc. Smaller studios they have worked with as 2nd party yes

because Sony can't afford to, they would if they could.

Bryank75

Banned
Apparently the government can stop this for any reason... hopefully if it is true, they do.

'The Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Control Act regulates investments by foreign investors. Investments into certain companies that engage in businesses specified by the act and its relevant regulations and ordinances are subject to the government’s prior approval, and the government has broad discretion as to whether approval of a given investment is granted. Foreign investors may not implement a transaction until the 30-day period from the filing has expired; but usually such period is substantially shortened. However, the government may extend this waiting period or even deny the transaction if (for example) the subject company is highly regulated due to national security concerns (eg, relating to the military, nuclear, aviation, media or telecoms industries).

Investments from foreign investors in businesses not subject to prior approval by the government are nevertheless subject to post-closing notification to the minister of finance by the 15th day of the following month of investment, excluding any acquisition of less than 10% of the shares of a listed company, which is not subject to post-closing notification.'

iJudged

Banned
Looks like MS finally said fck it and decided to spend, if that's the case, this isn't the last acquisition and competition is in trouble

Sega owns Creative Assembly, Relic (Which actually makes that rumor make more sense considering they are developing Age of Empires 4), Atlus, Amplitiude Studios, and Two Point Studios. So, not a bad haul for strategy and jrpg fans. Also the million of IP's still lying around as you already pointed out.

Yeah but looking at that it actually makes it seem more unlikely as MS might really be getting too bloated from that. That said, IF they really want a hook into the Japan market, Sega WOULD be the number 1 target as far as I can think of.

acm2000

Apparently the government can stop this for any reason... hopefully if it is true, they do.

'The Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Control Act regulates investments by foreign investors. Investments into certain companies that engage in businesses specified by the act and its relevant regulations and ordinances are subject to the government’s prior approval, and the government has broad discretion as to whether approval of a given investment is granted. Foreign investors may not implement a transaction until the 30-day period from the filing has expired; but usually such period is substantially shortened. However, the government may extend this waiting period or even deny the transaction if (for example) the subject company is highly regulated due to national security concerns (eg, relating to the military, nuclear, aviation, media or telecoms industries).

Investments from foreign investors in businesses not subject to prior approval by the government are nevertheless subject to post-closing notification to the minister of finance by the 15th day of the following month of investment, excluding any acquisition of less than 10% of the shares of a listed company, which is not subject to post-closing notification.'

why do you want them to stop it? also this deal wont be completed till middle of next year....

Bryank75

Banned
why do you want them to stop it? also this deal wont be completed till middle of next year....
Because this is disgusting corporate greed, why don't you want companies to be independent? Why don't you want PlayStation gamers to have access? what youre saying is disgusting....

How many people play Persona on PlayStation?
Do you think they will change to XBox? They just won't , they will just resent it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

because Sony can't afford to, they would if they could.

True but its the fast method to success and we’ll see how it serves them.
Someones got to pay for those games to be made, the Elders Scrolls and Fallout aren’t cheap and gamepass isnt gonna fund all those studios. And there not gonna be selling on playstation 100+ units Again lol

acm2000

Because this is disgusting corporate greed, why don't you want companies to be independent? Why don't you want PlayStation gamers to have access? what youre saying is disgusting....

its literally 1 big company taking over from another, thats all, no one has said anything regarding exclusivity and i highly doubt they would cut of playstation as they will want to milk as many dollars out of the IP's as possible.

i guess its safe to assume you are firmly in the sony fanboy court, mean while i sit here in the neutral zone with zero interest in either console.

This is what happen when you wake a sleeping giant before Xbox did not have the full backing of Microsoft warchest, but now they do so expect more studio buying Xbox ain't playing around no more they going all in now.

Last edited:

Brofist

True but its the fast method to success and we’ll see how it serves them.
Someones got to pay for those games to be made, the Elders Scrolls and Fallout aren’t cheap and gamepass isnt gonna fund all those studios. And there not gonna be selling on playstation 100+ units Again lol

Well those games were being funded before MS so not sure why that's all of a sudden a concern. Hell the money Skyrim made will fund all those games without MS.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
its literally 1 big company taking over from another, thats all, no one has said anything regarding exclusivity and i highly doubt they would cut of playstation as they will want to milk as many dollars out of the IP's as possible.

i guess its safe to assume you are firmly in the sony fanboy court, mean while i sit here in the neutral zone with zero interest in either console.
You seem to be in the 'anti-competitive' court. This will make Xbox very unpopular. PlayStation is a global brand that Xbox can never be and for those people MS are just taking games away from them foir their own control of the industry.

They are pure scum.

Bryank75

Banned
This is what happen when you wake a sleeping giant before Xbox did not have the full backing of Microsoft warchest, but not they do so expect more studio buying Xbox ain't playing around no more they going all in now.
What happens when they still get absolutely hammered in sales despite all this anti-competitive showboating?
When it all seems useless, will they just shut down half of these studios out of spite? Will you cheer that too?

You seem to be in the 'anti-competitive' court. This will make Xbox very unpopular. PlayStation is a global brand that Xbox can never be and for those people MS are just taking games away from them foir their own control of the industry.

They are pure scum.

LOL

Kokoloko85

I think people would just stop buying Sega as much. It would be a massive turn off.

If everything will be on gamepass then I see it quite hard for them to fund all these studios. They’ve already said it doesn’t give them much profit and now they have to fund more studios and bigger projects than they have ever Done like Elder Scrolls and Fallout Ontop of what they create.

Yes they have the money but investors want returns And Leaving out 110+ million Playstation and maybe Switch owners is gonna hurt there pockets... alot. Its where most there income comes from, sales.

Maybe they will want to use PC and Playstation sales of these games ( like minecraft ) so gamepass can afford to get it for free because I doubt Gamepass itself could fund Bethesda and MS studios to make games year On year.

I wont be buying there products so they can get it on gamepass lol
MS has to fund all these games and make money for them even if they have 3 trillion dollars or whatever

What happens when they still get absolutely hammered in sales despite all this anti-competitive showboating?
When it all seems useless, will they just shut down half of these studios out of spite? Will you cheer that too?
I don't think it ever shutting down i love the move cause im a gamepass subscribers and there is no sign of any slow down it even growing faster now than before and it only anti-competitive if 1 side does it, Sony can respond you know it their move let see what they got?

acm2000

They are pure scum.

i understand that you are worried you wont be getting ES6 on your ps5, but thats really not the case, it will come out launch day with the other platforms only on xbox you wont even need to buy it and instead use gamepass and pay the extra if you want the fancier editions.

Around 15 years or so ago, authorities would act on Microsoft. But they're one of the biggest lobbyists in congress now, therefore pretty much unstoppable.

Make no mistakes, they are taking over the industry and are going to gateway everything everyone plays. This isn't just about "crushing Sony". It's about absolute control.

True gamers who love the hobby should not support this. But here we are.
Its only what sony have been doing, just on a larger scale, fuck sony/nintendo, both shithouse companies anyway

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think it ever shutting down i love the move cause im a gamepass subscribers and there is no sign of any slow down it even growing faster now than before and it only anti-competitive if 1 side does it, Sony can respond you know it their move let see what they got?
They'll need over 100 million to subscribe to make it sustainable, They will never get over 30.

i understand that you are worried you wont be getting ES6 on your ps5, but thats really not the case, it will come out launch day with the other platforms only on xbox you wont even need to buy it and instead use gamepass and pay the extra if you want the fancier editions.
I don't think ES6 will be on PS5 it will be Xbox and PC only.

the_master

This one would be AWESOME.
Bethesda didn't feel like it needed MS money to keep making games.
Sega seems like it could use MS money to bring back many awesome and unique games

martino

We know ms objective : be able to push one game every other month.
they don't need to own everything just enough for their plan/objective to work.is 23 studios enough ? (seems about right)
People reactions are clearly irrational both ways....

Last edited:
They'll need over 100 million to subscribe to make it sustainable, They will never get over 30.
What you just said won't age well at all in a couple years it already at 15 million and that before the Bethesda new games start coming on it day 1 it will break 30 million subscribers easily.

Bryank75

Banned
What you just said won't age well at all in a couple years it already at 15 million and that before the Bethesda new games start coming on it day 1 it will break 30 million subscribers easily.
Do you think it has that much pull?

I already see demand for XBox is far less than PlayStation.... you can see in the pre-order thread. Those Series S consoles are not selling and the SX is finally sold out in some areas but they are the Xbox hardcore.

It took PS5 a few seconds and they were all gone, they are sold into next year already.

Xbox cannot buy relevancy. They will always be seen as a cheap knockoff of the original.

Kataploom

Gold Member

They are pure scum.

I mean, it's obviously a response from MS to the excesive moneyhatting Sony been doing for PS5 exclusivities... What about that?

I'm totally sure MS would still pay for exclusive deals but I doubt that they'd have gone this far since most probably the higher ups would see this expense unnecessary for the Xbox division if it wasn't for the position they were put on.

Xbox didn't throw that money alone, MS had to intervene due to "emergency", if not, they'd do it years ago because they clearly want to dominate the market being as MS has always been.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I mean, it's obviously a response from MS to the excesive moneyhatting Sony been doing for PS5 exclusivities... What about that?

I'm totally sure MS would still pay for exclusive deals but I doubt that they'd have gone this far since most probably the higher ups would see this expense necessary for the Xbox division if it wasn't for the position they were put on.

Xbox didn't throw that money alone, MS had to intervene due to "emergency", if not, they'd do it years ago because they clearly want to dominate the market "no matter what".
Xbox used to do those deals all the time but now Sony isn't allowed?
Titanfall? Tomb Raider? Dead Rising?

As I say, what happens now when Xbox still get destroyed at market? Do they buy another 2 or 3 publishers?
They seem to be willing to destroy the entire industry if they don't get their way....

I already see demand for XBox is far less than PlayStation.... you can see in the pre-order thread. Those Series S consoles are not selling and the SX is finally sold out in some areas but they are the Xbox hardcore.

It took PS5 a few seconds and they were all gone, they are sold into next year already.

Xbox cannot buy relevancy. They will always be seen as a cheap knockoff of the original.
I think your in for a big suprise and a rude awakening if you keep thinking Xbox with the full backing of it trillion dollar parent company won't make up any ground.

T-Cake

The thinking is a bit old fashioned. Microsoft don't care about Xbox hardware sales in Japan. But they probably see a massive potential in XCloud. So to get Sega under their roof and Yakuza only on Xbox/Xcloud...

ZZZZ

But Saga/Atlus’s biggest audience are Japan and in Japan there is not much audience for Xbox.

It’s like SE decides to make Dragon Quest exclusive to Xbox.....thats just something thats never going to happen.
What if Microsoft makes Atlus release their games in all platforms?
SMT VI/Persona 6 for PC/PS5/SerieX/Switch day 1, what would you think of that?
The only difference would be you get to play it on gamepass on PC and Series X and you need to pay full price on PS5, Switch.

Atlus makes the most sense to Microsoft because they have a bunch of teams, that would add another lineup of games to Gamepass.

Of course if that means removing Switch and PS from the equation that wouldn't make much sense because a huge part of the playerbase is in those systems.

Last edited:

acm2000

you seemed to forget the 360 destroyed Sony until they made the mistake of going after motion controls, if they hadnt have done that then we would be in a very different situation now.

Xbox used to do those deals all the time but now Sony isn't allowed?
Titanfall? Tomb Raider? Dead Rising?

As I say, what happens now when Xbox still get destroyed at market? Do they buy another 2 or 3 publishers?
They seem to be willing to destroy the entire industry if they don't get their way....

You are talking pure nonsense though. Who is going to "destroy" MS? A company that can buy a publisher for 7.5 bil is not getting destroyed by Sony or anyone.

Top Bottom