• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

freefornow

Gold Member
Woah.................
Xbox logo hiding in plain sight all this time

ZrLEsBb.jpg

They will announce the Sega buy the day before the console launch like they did the Bethesda buy the day before pre orders lol MS im on to you.

Last edited:

Brofist

Not as much Playstation and Nintendo. There is no way in hell Persona becomes Xbox exclusives, same way Dragon Quests will never become Xbox exclusives.

Well if MS were to buy out Square Enix for some reason DQ would probably be exclusive as well.

Not even sure that's a good example, it's the one game in Japan that even "non gamers" play, they probably would buy whatever platform it was on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well if MS were to buy out Square Enix for some reason DQ would probably be exclusive as well.

Not even sure that's a good example, it's the one game in Japan that even "non gamers" play, they probably would buy whatever platform it was on.
I just cant see it, I cant see SEGA/Atlus alienate majority of their fans.

lock2k

Banned
I'd like to see your source on this.

https://news.microsoft.com/1998/05/...reamcast-the-ultimate-home-video-game-system/

It's not happening.

1.) SEGA would be incredibly stupid and short-sighted to abandon the PlayStation and Nintendo consumers who buy their games. When was the last time an Xbox/360/One game sold well in Japan?
2.) Let's compare this to Microsoft acquiring ZeniMax. Games like Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Wolfenstein fit right at home on Xbox. How many Xbox fans are clamoring to play SEGA/Atlus games like Sonic, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei or Yakuza?

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
It's not happening.

1.) SEGA would be incredibly stupid and short-sighted to abandon the PlayStation and Nintendo consumers who buy their games. When was the last an Xbox/360/One game sold well in Japan?
2.) Let's compare this to Microsoft acquiring ZeniMax. Games like Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Wolfenstein fit right at home on Xbox. How many Xbox fans are clamoring to play SEGA/Atlus games like Sonic, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei or Yakuza?
I'm personally a huge Sega fan and I don't play any of these series. New Sega fans are too fixated on Atlus and Yakuza and forget or don't know about their rich arcade history. Sega to many of us old school fans is Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Alex Kidd, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Kid Chameleon, Outrun, Hang On, House of the Dead, etc. We see Atlus as just an RPG company that Sega bought. Sega = arcade, cool, quirky games with blue skyes and dope characters.

Having a huge retro Sega catalog and reviving old series would be the interesting part of such deal. This divide in Sega fandom is like the Sonic divide itself. The newer fans do not understand what made the older folks like the brand in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm personally a huge Sega fan ans I don't play any of these series. New Sega fans are too fixated on Atlus and Yakuza and forget or don't know about their rich arcade history. Sega to many of us old school fans is Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Alex Kidd, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Kid Chameleon, Outrun, Hang On, House of the Dead, etc. Having a huge retro Sega catalog and reviving old series would be the interesting part of such deal. This divide in Sega fandom is like the Sonic divide itself. The newer fans do not understand what made the older folks like the brand in the first place.
I'm well aware of their older games. I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Golden Axe on my dad's Genesis and plenty of Dreamcast games when SEGA were still in the hardware market. You'll get no disagreement from me that they have a great retro catalog of games but I'm not convinced they would revive them all, and even if they did they would have a better chance of selling well on PlayStation and/or Nintendo in Japan.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
It's not happening.

1.) SEGA would be incredibly stupid and short-sighted to abandon the PlayStation and Nintendo consumers who buy their games. When was the last time an Xbox/360/One game sold well in Japan?

1) That sure would be smart for Xbox to appeal more to a new demographic then. Especially with something as cheap of an entry price as Series S with Game Pass... now with Sega and Atlus exclusives.

2) Me. I'm the guy clamoring for Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and Etrian Odyssey on my Xbox. Give me a new Panzer Dragoon, GunValkyrie, Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, and Otogi while you're at it

Who knows. I loved XBOX'S early days with those gems

MrA

Banned
I'm personally a huge Sega fan and I don't play any of these series. New Sega fans are too fixated on Atlus and Yakuza and forget or don't know about their rich arcade history. Sega to many of us old school fans is Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Alex Kidd, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Kid Chameleon, Outrun, Hang On, House of the Dead, etc. We see Atlus as just an RPG company that Sega bought. Sega = arcade, cool, quirky games with blue skyes and dope characters.

Having a huge retro Sega catalog and reviving old series would be the interesting part of such deal. This divide in Sega fandom is like the Sonic divide itself. The newer fans do not understand what made the older folks like the brand in the first place.
don't forget sega also made their own rpgs that I think are better than anything atlus has ever done ( and I do like etrian odyssey and megami tense, persona not so much), panzer dragoon saga, the shining series (shame what happened to it, only Valis was treated worse, don't look up valis x, or do, depending on your enjoyment tentacle hentai) and other great games like the oasis series, the awesome stuff they did with treasure, climax, westone and many others,
not to mention how crazy of things they would greenlight, ecco, the ooze, a top shelf ronald Mcdonald platformer, rent a hero, segagaga, and any other screwy thing they tried.

GonSama

Not going to happen (japanese law):
“New legislation requires advance government approval for a foreign investor to take a stake of 1% or more in any Japanese enterprise in 12 “core” strategic sectors, from defense to utilities. The ministry’s list covers 14% of the nation’s publicly traded companies.”

In this 518 companies are Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and others.
So... this acquisition it's just a fairy tale.
Probably some partnership like they will have with EA for gamepass or something in those terms (FM, PSO2 and Yakuza 7 next gen exclusivity shows that they are open to that).

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Not going to happen (japanese law):
“New legislation requires advance government approval for a foreign investor to take a stake of 1% or more in any Japanese enterprise in 12 “core” strategic sectors, from defense to utilities. The ministry’s list covers 14% of the nation’s publicly traded companies.”

In this 518 companies are Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and others.
So... this acquisition it's just a fairy tale.
Probably some partnership like they will have with EA for gamepass or something in those terms (FM, PSO2 and Yakuza 7 next gen exclusivity shows that they are open to that).
But MS ist not a foreigner.
They are well known world wide. Maybe this will help 🤔

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
business_commandoSpencer-768x461.jpg

Of course, MS won't buy Sega and of course it's just a sarcastic thread. But Greenberg is still a bastard because he didn't just retweeted the video: he edited it adding the sound of the "amazing Sega" CM...

What a vicious cunt Ha ha. :)

Drop the bomb, Spencer, we know there is an alliance (funding parts of Yakuza 7, PSO2 cannot be the only results of it. Remember he said in February the situation was unacceptable in Japan. He also said it was a long term job.

Previous Xbox bosses weren't as serious as him, what he did with the acquisition of Obsidian, Double Fine, Bethesda is huge.
I expect huge annoucements from Japan even if it's not about Sega.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It's not happening.

Not me.

It would be stupid to make a huge investment like that and not go exclusive with the games but it would be a dick move and a poor investment since the other 2 platforms support those games far more than Xbox would. Leave them 3rd party,

Last edited:
Top Bottom