• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Everything is for sale for the right price.

This is pretty literally the most nonsensical saying every. There are plenty of businesses whose owners won't sell no matter how much you offer for a variety of reasons. Business owners are humans, and all humans are different, so all "everything is blah blah" quips are simply silly when applied to something depending on humans.

It's funny that people are still posting on this trainwreck of a thread despite the fact that "Wednesday" has come and gone.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony of America controls Sony of Japan. Microsoft can buy Sega of America and they can control Sega of Japan this way too.

Sega of America and Sega of Europe are under direct control of Sega Japan under Haruki Satomi, who most definitely has the reins in hand. And he is the most Japanese CEO Sega ever had since its foundation.

Incidentally, Sony corporation controls both Sony Interactive Entertainment America and Japan, and Sony is headquartered in Japan.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
This is pretty literally the most nonsensical saying every. There are plenty of businesses whose owners won't sell no matter how much you offer for a variety of reasons. Business owners are humans, and all humans are different, so all "everything is blah blah" quips are simply silly when applied to something depending on humans.

It's funny that people are still posting on this trainwreck of a thread despite the fact that "Wednesday" has come and gone.

It's bullshit. A rumor that happens every time Microsoft makes a move, because it did almost happen 20 years ago.

The owners won't sell, though? The owners are public share holders. If Microsoft and SegaSammy wanted to negotiate a buyout for an inflated price and keep the news of it out of the public, it could be done if they wanted it and it benefited everyone at the table.

All the clowns who think SegaSammy or a spun off Sega division is somehow vital to Japan enough to require protectionism are kidding themselves. It's just a game company that Sammy acquired for it's real estate. The government in Japan is not going to block Microsoft, a trillion dollar company from massively investing in a Japanese merger or acquisition, just for the sake of weebs on the internet who are clutching their pearls at the apocalyptic idea of Atlus RPGs going exclusively absent from the Playstation.

lock2k

Banned

images

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's bullshit. A rumor that happens every time Microsoft makes a move, because it did almost happen 20 years ago.

The owners won't sell, though? The owners are public share holders. If Microsoft and SegaSammy wanted to negotiate a buyout for an inflated price and keep the news of it out of the public, it could be done if they wanted it and it benefited everyone at the table.

All the clowns who think SegaSammy or a spun off Sega division is somehow vital to Japan enough to require protectionism are kidding themselves. It's just a game company that Sammy acquired for it's real estate. The government in Japan is not going to block Microsoft, a trillion dollar company from massively investing in a Japanese merger or acquisition, just for the sake of weebs on the internet who are clutching their pearls at the apocalyptic idea of Atlus RPGs going exclusively absent from the Playstation.

There's no need for protectionism. Sega has shown absolutely no intention of selling over the past decade, nor there is any signal with any credibility to that end.

This rumor keeps going around for the sake of silly Microsoft fanboys who would like an absolutely nonsensical Sega acquisition exclusively to stick it to silly Sony fanboys due to MS taking in a relevant Japanese company. Then 99% of said silly MS fanboys would proceed never to buy a Sega game, as it already happens. People push this kind of speculation exclusively for the sake of console wars.

Sega knows where its market is, and where it'll always be. They're happy to extend, but if anyone unironically believes they're willing to be acquired by a platform that offers the smallest (by far) portion of their market, they know nothing of business.

The only salty people here are the goons that hoped for this and it didn't happen.

Last edited:

reksveks

Not saying that it will happen but for 99% of publicly traded companies, every company does have a price. The only time this isn't true is when you have a split stock situation like Google or Facebook.

lock2k

Banned
There's no need for protectionism. Sega has shown absolutely no intention of selling over the past decade, nor there is any signal with any credibility to that end.

This rumor keeps going around for the sake of silly Microsoft fanboys who would like an absolutely nonsensical Sega acquisition exclusively to stick it to silly Sony fanboys due to MS taking in a relevant Japanese company. Then 99% of said silly MS fanboys would proceed never to buy a Sega game, as it already happens. People push this kind of speculation exclusively for the sake of console wars.

Sega knows where its market is, and where it'll always be. They're happy to extend, but if anyone unironically believes they're willing to be acquired by a platform that offers the smallest (by far) portion of their market, they know nothing of business.

The only salty people here are the goons that hoped for this and it didn't happen.
You're the one constantly writing walls of words and being triggered. We're just having fun here. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Cry more.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Not saying that it will happen but for 99% of publicly traded companies, every company does have a price. The only time this isn't true is when you have a split stock situation like Google or Facebook.

Ubisoft and Vivendi showed this simply isn't true. Sega is pretty much in a similar situation as Ubisoft. It's publicly traded, but a family is in strong control of the company, which makes acquisitions a lot less likely.

You're the one constantly writing walls of words and being triggered. We're just having fun here. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Cry more.

You have fun in remarkably silly and juvenile ways. Considering how much you go around attacking people having a discussion with silly memes and no arguments of your own, it feels like you're the one crying in a closet right now. I haven't even looked at this thread for over a week and my attention was simply pulled back temporarily by notifications.

Things went exactly how I said. I'm simply baffled people still aren't giving up on this trainwreck. I guess puerile console warriors don't have much else to do before the next pieces of plastic they identify with are released.

Last edited:

reksveks

Ubisoft and Vivendi showed this simply isn't true. Sega is pretty much in a similar situation as Ubisoft. It's publicly traded, but a family is in strong control of the company, which makes acquisitions a lot less likely.

Do those families have the majority of the stock? If not, whilst they might have more power they don't have the ultimate say-so on an acquisition especially if an acquirer is overpaying.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Do those families have the majority of the stock? If not, whilst they might have more power they don't have the ultimate say-so on an acquisition especially if an acquirer is overpaying.

They have the support of the board and of the shareholders, which is how the Guillemots stopped Vivendi, which mind you, was willing to be much more hostile in its takeover than Microsoft would ever be.

reksveks

They have the support of the board and of the shareholders, which is how the Guillemots stopped Vivendi, which mind you, was willing to be much more hostile in its takeover than Microsoft would ever be.

If Vivendi had dumped Google/apple/Ms cash-in-hand money, I would be interested to see the boards view. But yeah, there is a bunch of human interaction but if the 'controlling party' doesn't have the majority of the stock, you are kinda stuck and it's all a negotiations.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
If Vivendi had dumped Google/apple/Ms cash-in-hand money, I would be interested to see the boards view. But yeah, there is a bunch of human interaction but if the 'controlling party' doesn't have the majority of the stock, you are kinda stuck and it's all a negotiations.

Incidentally, while the situation is similar, the Satomi Family has an even stronger hold on Sega. The Guillemot family holds 13.9% of Ubisoft's shares.

The Satomi family holds 13.7% collectively of Sega's shares, plus 8.08% in Hajime Satomi's hands, and 1.40% in Haruki Satomi's. 11.7% is held by the company itself.

Last edited:

Devilich

Can we make a "Sony is announcing the acquisition of Capcom, Konami and Microsoft next Tuesday" Thread to balance things out?
Post it on 4chan and you'll see it next week all over the Internet. It's not the first time 4chan tried to play a trick on the Internet fanbois.
This week on "which fanbase is 4Chan trying to trick next?"
the Console warriors.

I still can't believe how this dumpster fire off a thread is still going full steam ahead. Do we have so many desperate people on neogaf?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have no idea why this thread seems to be trigging fans certain objectively ugly, underpowered, overly large and most likely poorly designed machine.

Aren't PlayStation fans too busy being stoked to play seventy dollar cinematic SJW furry games and PS3 remasters for the next six years?

tenor.gif

What's so bad about hoping for a better tomorrow? If SEGA's untapped potential and classic arcade library can make sweet love with Microsoft's seemingly unlimited funding and newfound console ambitions wouldn't that be the best thing for all gamers and the industry as a whole?

tenor.gif

Shitposting in such a fun and wonder thread is way past cool! Wednesday is coming!

Casting dreams from here to Saturn, a truly masterful system that could be the genesis for a new golden age of video games!

Faithless83

Banned
That's Dusk Golem's job. Lying to keep things balanced is his thing. I'm no authority but I'm pretty sure gimmick stealing is illegal.
Come on guys! So you mean we can post wishful MS dreams and we can't post Sony's? Just tag it "rumor" and go along with it. Please? :messenger_loudly_crying:
Is Monday available? You can have your Wednesday, I don't care.

Or should I just create a "Sega are going to announce the acquisition of Sony next Friday"

Post it on 4chan and you'll see it next week all over the Internet. It's not the first time 4chan tried to play a trick on the Internet fanbois.
This week on "which fanbase is 4Chan trying to trick next?"
the Console warriors.

I still can't believe how this dumpster fire off a thread is still going full steam ahead. Do we have so many desperate people on neogaf?
Can you blame them? Xbox is hurting for good news for a while now.

As a hardcore Sega fan, I hope they stay where they are. MS would run them to the ground.

Come on guys! So you mean we can post wishful MS dreams and we can't post Sony's? Just tag it "rumor" and go along with it. Please? :messenger_loudly_crying:
Is Monday available? You can have your Wednesday, I don't care.

Or should I just create a "Sega are going to announce the acquisition of Sony next Friday"

No deal. You guys get a "Sony is buying Goodbye Volcano High studio KO-OP" rumor. Jim Ryan brought it upon himself.

Not going to happen (japanese law):
“New legislation requires advance government approval for a foreign investor to take a stake of 1% or more in any Japanese enterprise in 12 “core” strategic sectors, from defense to utilities. The ministry’s list covers 14% of the nation’s publicly traded companies.”

In this 518 companies are Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix, Capcom and others.
So... this acquisition it's just a fairy tale.
Probably some partnership like they will have with EA for gamepass or something in those terms (FM, PSO2 and Yakuza 7 next gen exclusivity shows that they are open to that).

That simply states there'll be tighter government approval for foreign investment in domestic companies. Nothing new here. Furthermore a way to circumvent this is very simple, have a fully owned 100% Japanese subsidiary company. That company will be the one making the investment.

lock2k

Banned
You have fun in remarkably silly and juvenile ways. Considering how much you go around attacking people having a discussion with silly memes and no arguments of your own, it feels like you're the one crying in a closet right now. I haven't even looked at this thread for over a week and my attention was simply pulled back temporarily by notifications.

Things went exactly how I said. I'm simply baffled people still aren't giving up on this trainwreck. I guess puerile console warriors don't have much else to do before the next pieces of plastic they identify with are released.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

ghairat

It doesn't need to mean buying SEGA. Might as well be a partnership. Heck, look at Platinum games and Nintendo. And why is this thread still active?

Last edited:
Top Bottom