• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Pallas

oreally.jpg
Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hip Hop

Is there really a chance they still get Acti?

and were there or are there really truths to this Sega acquisition or is it just deep speculation?

CGNoire

People have way too much time on there hands.....or someone forgot there medication?

Im leaing towads the later.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

After activision they will probably go after Sega, `IO and couple more smaller devs (there was a list published). I can see 4-5 more acquisitions happening after ABK. More if ABK fails.
You think that they will be allowed to buy more publishers / devs?
I think that they will be too huge after ABK.

But should the ABK deal fail, then I think they will 110% go after Sega.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Honestly gamers would benifit more from MS buying SEGA than Activision. MS would benifit more from Activision though IIDK they could gain much more in "gamer clout" if they would invest in OLD Sega IPs which could bring in more users and more money. 🤷‍♂️
But it seems to be hard for MS to make non-consultant BS choices based off current trends. blah blah blah..

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
Not gonna happen, Japan themselves would prevent a American company from buying one of their own. Still, for a exorbitant price maybe.
Honestly regardless of how this all turns out, dont be surprised to see Sony purchasing Capcom or Konami, or hopefully Kadokawa…

Kilau

Gold Member
Seems though like Sega and MS have come to an agreement. All the games are coming to Xbox and a lot on Game pass even.

So unless it’s to remove content, there isn’t much reason to buy them. I don’t know if Sega is a protected company but I can’t imagine Japan allowing it if it means Nintendo gamers would be impacted. So what is MS going to do, specifically exclude PlayStation but allow Nintendo ports?

Gambit2483

The idea is putting all of that content on the third place platform will drive people to buy said platform and move it up a few spots...
Growth is important but buying everything up to promote that growth...yeah I'm pretty sure there's laws against that type of "competition"

Last edited:
We were close. Maybe it will still happen? Shame that they wanted to keep stuff multiplat.

Though it is interesting that Sega bought Rovio, Take 2 bought Zynga and believe EA bought some mobile company in the past. All these publishers are aware about the need for mobile portfolio.

Interesting... so maybe Sega is "on hold" at this point? Wild... i know, i know "American company can't buy a Japanese company" but if they're on this list, makes me wonder if it's possible afterall despite all the naysayers.
Microsoft formed a stategic alliance with Sega. I think they decided to go with it rather than an acquisition - Sammy probably did not want to sell their gaming department.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Growth is important but buying everything up to promote that growth...yeah I'm pretty sure there's laws against that type of "competition"
I know there are.... I'm just stating the idea is to bolster exclusive IPs so more people will buy Xbox rather than going to Sony as Sony Playstation 5 is crushing XBox in sales again just like PS4 vs XBO.

Gambit2483

I know there are.... I'm just stating the idea is to bolster exclusive IPs so more people will buy Xbox rather than going to Sony as Sony Playstation 5 is crushing XBox in sales again just like PS4 vs XBO.
True...and I'm sure more people would buy more Coke if the Coca-Cola co. bought out Pepsi...

splattered

After activision they will probably go after Sega, `IO and couple more smaller devs (there was a list published). I can see 4-5 more acquisitions happening after ABK. More if ABK fails.

That's true... If Acti falls through I wonder if they are going to chill for a while or go on a spending spree buying up smaller devs that won't get blocked as easily? Crazy to think of how many devs they could acquire for 70 billion versus someone gigantic like Activision

Raven77

This will probably be announced next year when the Activision merger completes.

Something like:

ActiBlizz merger complete August - 1 - 2024

Sega Buyout complete September - 1 - 2024

I could see it happening. Time will tell. Who knows.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Why would that matter if they are a MS studio? :messenger_confused:
Umm because games cost money to make and you can only recoup but so much back through subscription fees?

Without people actually BUYING games, then the more games you spend to develop you either need to

A. Increase subscription numbers
B. Increase subscription costs

or a combination of both...but if you go route B you run the risk of losing subscription numbers.

It's not an ideal setup for the AAA game market where games cost much more and take longer to produce than movies and especially TV shows.

Last edited:

Kruza

Heh, I see what you did there. 😉

I'm curious about which vintage Sega arcade games have been brought to Game Pass. As weird as it may seem, I still haven't taken a plunge into that service.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Sega seems like a good buy 4 years down the line. It will likely remain third party but skip PlayStation with certain releases.

Xbox intends to buy a permanent place in the industry, so this won't stop after Activision. Its pure cope to think it will stop.

5-7 years from now, sony will buy square enix. xbox will own sega and a package of embracer studios.

Nintendo will still get games, but exclusive Nintendo releases from these publishers will end sadly. its not like nintendo needs them anyway, they are far ahead in exclusives.

drganon

Sega seems like a good buy 4 years down the line. It will likely remain third party but skip PlayStation with certain releases.

Xbox intends to buy a permanent place in the industry, so this won't stop after Activision. Its pure cope to think it will stop.

5-7 years from now, sony will buy square enix. xbox will own sega and a package of embracer studios.

Nintendo will still get games, but exclusive Nintendo releases from these publishers will end sadly. its not like nintendo needs them anyway, they are far ahead in exclusives.
are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I understand this case is different since Sega weren't purchased, but generally If you're aware of an acquisition ahead of the announcement, wouldn't that be some form of insider trading?

That thought always crosses my mind when I see these rumors.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Let's put a third of the industries most popular IP exclusively on the last place platform where none of the users actually buy games!

HtOMyr1.gif
...But I have a PC?

I mean, I get why Playstation fans entered in a state of perpetual butthurt about these acquisitions, but for fuck's sake, can we at least stop pretending that "THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WILL BE HARMED AND THIS MARKET WILL COLLAPSE IF I DON'T GET EVERYTHING ON MY CONSOLE OF CHOICE?"

Last edited:
...But I have a PC?

I mean, I get why Playstation fans entered in a state of perpetual butthurt about these acquisitions, but for fuck's sake, can we at least stop pretending that "THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WILL BE HARMED AND THIS MARKET WILL COLLAPSE IF I DON'T GET EVERYTHING ON MY CONSOLE OF CHOICE?"

Who's doing that? You mean Jez Corden and the bucket loads of Xbox console warriors who act like not getting mainline Final Fantasy games is a violation of their civil rights?

And mass consolidation of big chunks of the independent 3P market's worth, whether it's Microsoft doing it themselves or actions like buying ABK triggering other companies to make similar acquisitions, does hurt the industry.

Heck, Xbox revenue came short of almost $1 billion in projections and that's after acquiring Zenimax. How do you make less money than your forecasts after a big 3P acquisition that was chiefly meant to boost your gaming revenue in the first place?

Anime-Vix

Who's doing that? You mean Jez Corden and the bucket loads of Xbox console warriors who act like not getting mainline Final Fantasy games is a violation of their civil rights?

And mass consolidation of big chunks of the independent 3P market's worth, whether it's Microsoft doing it themselves or actions like buying ABK triggering other companies to make similar acquisitions, does hurt the industry.

Heck, Xbox revenue came short of almost $1 billion in projections and that's after acquiring Zenimax. How do you make less money than your forecasts after a big 3P acquisition that was chiefly meant to boost your gaming revenue in the first place?
They fell short because Starfield was delayed. That is where the $768 million was supposed to come from. The only games they released for 2022 were a port of Deathloop and Ghostwire which wasn't a big seller.

SHA

I decided to skip the ps5 for the pro with vr , it's better this way to counter vr editions of each game, I don't hear any complains about why they sell them separately, I don't really consider myself taking Xbox side, I do like many things about ps and Nintendo, it's just that owning them at once every generation isn't practical and I find myself unmotivated to beat games compared to owning one console at a time.

They fell short because Starfield was delayed. That is where the $768 million was supposed to come from. The only games they released for 2022 were a port of Deathloop and Ghostwire which wasn't a big seller.

Lol I doubt it's because of Starfield's delay. Maybe that was part of it, but not the whole picture. If they thought Starfield would sell 13 million copies in 8 months they must be smoking some strong chronic. Not when it's also on Game Pass and doesn't have PlayStation as a platform to sell on.

I decided to skip the ps5 for the pro with vr , it's better this way to counter vr editions of each game, I don't hear any complains about why they sell them separately, I don't really consider myself taking Xbox side, I do like many things about ps and Nintendo, it's just that owning them at once every generation isn't practical and I find myself unmotivated to beat games compared to owning one console at a time.

Understandable to wait on a Pro for VR. I think that's the main reason Sony are even doing a PS5 Pro, honestly. Still partly conflicted over a Pro model but if they make it make sense without causing any production logistics issues, then go right ahead.

Top Bottom