• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

Gambit2483

...But I have a PC?

I mean, I get why Playstation fans entered in a state of perpetual butthurt about these acquisitions, but for fuck's sake, can we at least stop pretending that "THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WILL BE HARMED AND THIS MARKET WILL COLLAPSE IF I DON'T GET EVERYTHING ON MY CONSOLE OF CHOICE?"
Now ask the RARE fans how they feel about MS acquiring their beloved IP...

BootsLoader

Banned
Christina Ricci Wednesday GIF

0neAnd0nly

I mean, you can also ask Origin fans how they felt about EA acquiring them, but that was almost 30 years ago.
Are you people for fucking real?

Gaming monopolization, in exceeding quantities, by ANY console manufacturer will ABSOLUTELY harm the industry -

Signed,

- Someone who worked in the industry and sat in hours and hours of meetings about business side BS, shook hands with devs, etc.

Sentenza

EA acquisitions is your defence of consolidation?
It's not a defense of anything. The point is rather "What happened 30 years ago at this point doesn't mean fucking shit anymore".
It may as well be an entire different company at this point.

Last edited:

SHA

Gaming monopolization, in exceeding quantities, by ANY console manufacturer will ABSOLUTELY harm the industry -

Signed,

- Someone who worked in the industry and sat in hours and hours of meetings about business side BS, shook hands with devs, etc.
Whatever the reasons, the outcome of all this wouldn’t be overwhelmingly positive by any stretch of imaginations.

SHA

Who's doing that? You mean Jez Corden and the bucket loads of Xbox console warriors who act like not getting mainline Final Fantasy games is a violation of their civil rights?

And mass consolidation of big chunks of the independent 3P market's worth, whether it's Microsoft doing it themselves or actions like buying ABK triggering other companies to make similar acquisitions, does hurt the industry.

Heck, Xbox revenue came short of almost $1 billion in projections and that's after acquiring Zenimax. How do you make less money than your forecasts after a big 3P acquisition that was chiefly meant to boost your gaming revenue in the first place?
Thinking about abandoning a console to make the consumer rush through into buying that game in 2023 is a bit of a stretch, for SE, another mistake for another day that will costs them a lot, to them or any 3P publisher, this will make or break the entire company's existence, it's a gamble.

MAtgS

It's not a defense of anything. The point is rather "What happened 30 years ago at this point doesn't mean fucking shit anymore".
It may as well be an entire different company at this point.
Yeah well I'm still gonna be pissed about Command and Conquer anyway.

Hudo

Fuck it, I'm gonna buy Sega. How many Zimbabwe Dollars are we talking?

I'm making Yuji Naka my CFO, Peter Molyneux my chief game director and Don Mattrick my PR director.
We gonna turn this ship around!
right into the ground.

My first order will be to make Skies of Arcadia 2.

Top Bottom