• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Cuts Indie Royalties in Half - confirmed in post #13.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:
*slaps forehead*

Seems today is 'stupid console manufacturer day.'

Microsoft: "Cut Indie Royalties in Half!"
Nintendo: "You should pay for part of our awful online service!"
Sony: "We think consumers will get tired of Wii's outdated graphics, just like they did with the DS!"

Retards!

Well, to be fair, this Indie profit cut is still in rumor mode.

legend166

Any idea what Sony, and soon, Nintendo, offer?

Also, Ami, you're so right, haha. Although it seems like Sony's been the least stupid, because those are just words, and not actions. Guess they're making up for 2 years of utter stupidity.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Evander said:
They did the job that they were hired to do, and with MSoft paying the tab.

If it wasn't Epic, it would have been another studio. I'm not saying the game to come out of that would have been as good, but MSoft has the money to make sure it would have been as successful.

you do know that historically Epic had released all Unreal addon packs for free, before GeOW

and Atari didn't get shitty with them, and demand they charge for the content

I win

consider music artists receive about $1 for each CD they sell on a retail disc. let's say the average MSRP on a cd is $14.99...that's like 7%...

consider too MS may very well be giving indie developers advances to actually finish their games or even start them, or waving the cost of dev kits shit like that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barkley's Justice said:
consider music artists receive about $1 for each CD they sell on a retail disc. let's say the average MSRP on a cd is $14.99...that's like 7%...

consider too MS may very well be giving indie developers advances to actually finish their games or even start them, or waving the cost of dev kits shit like that.

Doesn't look like it.

Barkley's Justice said:

The music business is completely different. They make their money from touring. MS waives the cost of the first couple certification passes (about a $25k value). Anything else was already factored into the royalty rate.

oldergamer

I've had confirmation that this change in profit share is 100% true. Ms was getting too many game submissions for XBLA, and the quality wasn't as high on all the submissions. This could be considered a way to quality control the content, meaning that you won't see as many shitty titles, or in that case larger developers making games for it. Those larger developers will benefit more from making larger games.

Also MS didn't think XBLA would be as successful as it has been. so flipping the royalty rate will make them more money.

If you ask me, they just shot themselves in the foot by taking too big a cut. They could at least make it 50/50. They only thing that could change this is LOTS of BAD press. So imo, spread the word, that the gaming community is not happy about this change and we think those small developers deserve the bigger cut when making games for XBLA. I'm officially not buying any more XBLA arcade games until I see some sort of change to this royalty rate.

Tieno

oldergamer said:
I've had confirmation that this change in profit share is 100% true. Ms was getting too many game submissions for XBLA, and the quality wasn't as high on all the submissions. This could be considered a way to quality control the content, meaning that you won't see as many shitty titles, or in that case larger developers making games for it. Those larger developers will benefit more from making larger games.

Also MS didn't think XBLA would be as successful as it has been. so flipping the royalty rate will make them more money.

If you ask me, they just shot themselves in the foot by taking too big a cut. They could at least make it 50/50. They only thing that could change this is LOTS of BAD press. So imo, spread the word, that the gaming community is not happy about this change and we think those small developers deserve the bigger cut when making games for XBLA. I'm officially not buying any more XBLA arcade games until I see some sort of change to this royalty rate.
In a way that makes sense to get less 'submissions', but it also means they'll probably lose out on hidden gems (risky stuff). It is perverse this filter is by taking a bigger share, especially that you don't even get the lion share of your own creation.

Mejilan said:
:lol

Did Sony actually say that about the DS?! :lol :lol :lol
Well Phil said that the DS was a gimmick, that the PSP would raise handhelds out of the ghetto, and that the DS would only appeal to kids who love Pokemon

oldergamer

Tieno said:
In a way that makes sense to get less 'submissions', but it also means they'll probably lose out on hidden gems (risky stuff). It is perverse this filter is so by taking a bigger share.

I think MS will miss out on larger developers making quality download titles. Also they miss out on some gems that will possibly go to Wii ware because they may make more money from Nintendo publishing it.

What bothers me is there is no way MS should take a bigger share of the pie then the developer. That's just contrary to what they want to achieve. contrary to the changes MS has made as a company lately ( with being more open).

This all may have something to do with them also wanting to see more free games on XNA arcade.

ram

Barkley's Justice said:
70%??

who the fuck honestly thought that would last? lol

sorry, but 35% sounds like business as usual.

plus, consider Live's userbase is ever-growing. So while royalties were slashed in half, you potentially sell to many more people.

agree - the 70% werejust some bait, to lure talented devs in - now, that the service is successful, its business as usual. harsh reality.

Azih

Oh Microsoft, you do good things and are now shitting them all up. Ditch those EA guys. Bring Back Petah!

Sean

Banned
bad time to pull this kinda crap with wii ware coming soon.

Despite this, it is probably still more profitable than PSN due to the much larger userbase offsetting the loss of royalties. Though I can see some indies switching sides out of principle alone (feeling screwed over).

I wonder if XNA community games have anything to do with this or if its just greed.

Xapati

Azih said:
Oh Microsoft, you do good things and are now shitting them all up. Ditch those EA guys. Bring Back Petah!

Exactly, it seems like MS decided to hire all the morons who just left EA after they decided to change strategies.

spwolf

Sean said:

Despite this, it is probably still more profitable than PSN due to the much larger userbase offsetting the loss of royalties. Though I can see some indies switching sides out of principle alone (feeling screwed over).

I wonder if XNA community games have anything to do with this or if its just greed.

if you are thinking last month, maybe, but Sony is catching up fast. Change in fees will probably make big difference for larger teams, as supposed to smaller ones. It changes their business plans completly.

Again, publishing fees for online service and for retail are completly different. Publisher for retail title has 30% retail costs that they have to pay to retailers alone. Thats without marketing, that usually runs in millions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sean said:

It could be both.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PepsimanVsJoe said:
After playing a few of those XNA demos I figured the cut had something to do with quality control.

Still a bad move on MS's part though.

I guess we shall find out how much adversity is truly contained in this choice.

Although XBLA has a larger audience, the combination of the royalty rate cute, the difficulty in getting submissions approved, the sheer volume of competition on the platform, and consumer expectations holding down price ($10 max) make other platforms more attractive right now, unless of course you are a publisher whom MS is giving the old rate, or you are a developer who works with one of those publishers.

One of the great things about XBLA was that you could do it without working for publishers, who are essentially the pimps of the game industry, making money off other people's work without providing much of value in return. Developers who did not need the one worthwhile thing that publishers provide - financial security - could bypass those parasites and succeed on their own. Now a self-funding developer gets a royalty rate that's not only not great like it used to be, it's worse than the competition by a long shot.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Open Source said:
Although XBLA has a larger audience, the combination of the royalty rate cute, the difficulty in getting submissions approved, the sheer volume of competition on the platform, and consumer expectations holding down price ($10 max) make other platforms more attractive right now, unless of course you are a publisher whom MS is giving the old rate, or you are a developer who works with one of those publishers.

One of the great things about XBLA was that you could do it without working for publishers, who are essentially the pimps of the game industry, making money off other people's work without providing much of value in return. Developers who did not need the one worthwhile thing that publishers provide - financial security - could bypass those parasites and succeed on their own. Now a self-funding developer gets a royalty rate that's not only not great like it used to be, it's worse than the competition by a long shot.

The $10 price was always a mistake. I have no idea what MS was thinking releasing titles at that price, when the casual game industry current price point was $20.

I think Geometry Wars was one of the worst in this regard. Here's an awesome game, with amazing graphics, leaderboards, and quick pick-up-and-play gameplay for only $5. It set a standard that no other game could hope to match up to (I can't believe people were actually complaining about the Pac-Man remake being $10. $10 for crying out loud!).

Lumines was the first game to try a pricing structure to "fool" gamers into it's $43 price tag, and it failed miserably. So what options do devs have at this point? Make a $10 game with low royalty cuts, or try to supplement a game with DLC that gamers dont seem to have any interest in and has no guarantees.

I'm speaking as a dev here, not a consumer. I love cheap games as much as anyone, but it's crippling XBLA. (Sony will try it's hand at $20 titles soon, starting with Echochrome).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Open Source said:

The highest XBLA is 15 USD.

Nail

Amir0x said:
*slaps forehead*

Seems today is 'stupid console manufacturer day.'

Microsoft: "Cut Indie Royalties in Half!"
Nintendo: "You should pay for part of our awful online service!"
Sony: "We think consumers will get tired of Wii's outdated graphics, just like they did with the DS!"

Retards!

WTF is this about?

ninge

yup this was a stupid shitty move by microsoft. wondered how long it would take to become public knowledge... XBLA development just got a whole lot less attractive. expect to see a whole bunch of developers cutting back

h3ro

Nail said:
WTF is this about?

Nintendo's new service that they actually titled "Pay for Play" WiFi.

I'd pay if it meant no more friend codes :lol
not really, wii is for minigames :p

So is this about XBLA or XNA? If it's about XNA then I can understand that. Not having to buy expensive dev kits, but still having your game on the platform... MS needs to make money on it somehow.

If it's about XBLA as well, not cool... not cool.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PhlivoSong said:
So is this about XBLA or XNA? If it's about XNA then I can understand that. Not having to buy expensive dev kits, but still having your game on the platform... MS needs to make money on it somehow.

If it's about XBLA as well, not cool... not cool.

XBLA. XNA is still getting the financial side detailed if I'm not mistaken, and this doesn't bode well for them.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Shard said:
I wonder if there was any pressure from the big devs t oforce Microsoft to make such a move?

Huh? Why would they force MS to cut their profits by a substantial amount?

sneaky77

chubigans said:
The $10 price was always a mistake. I have no idea what MS was thinking releasing titles at that price, when the casual game industry current price point was $20.

and yet people bitch every week about how expensive xbla is

Can anyone confirm what the PSN royalty percentage is, because i'd imagine 70% to be a bit high actually. Still you can't suddenly do such a huge cut i'd think 50-50 would be good business for both sides.

p3tran

Banned
hey microsoft, I'm not buying anymore of your game stuff until you fix the god damn ratios for the indies!!

let them do it good this gen, and you can jack them into the matrix on the next one.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
chubigans said:
XBLA. XNA is still getting the financial side detailed if I'm not mistaken, and this doesn't bode well for them.

Maybe it does though, like I said way back on Page 1, it could very well be that Microsoft are saying to the top-tier indie devs that they want them to slum it out in the XNA community with everyone else.

A strategy like that would work out for MS in a lot of ways because it means they get a lot of top-tier content in their new Community arcade baby AND they save a lot of money on certification AND they get a lot more developers using XNA & C# rather than cross-platform languages.

Which may in term give them a ready made development scene for a future Zune gaming device (now that the XNA framework also supports Zune).

Wollan said:
Where do I find those XNA games in the marketplace?

You need to download the Club game launcher.

Go to all games, then go down to XNA. Its only like 7/8mb.

Then once you've done that go to the "Games Library" and there should be a new tab of "XNA Creators Club" go to it and press Y, the games will then appear.

Top Bottom