• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

MadYarpen

Guys, I feel like an idiot.

I installed the game in gamepass (PC)

I open the game, enter the world map, have a plane chosen or choose one myself, mark departure and arrival airports, and click fly.

Nothing happens.

What am I missing? I can start flight training, but it seems regular flying is not working?

MadYarpen

I open the game, enter the world map, have a plane chosen or choose one myself, mark departure and arrival airports, and click fly.

Nothing happens.

What am I missing? I can start flight training, but it seems regular flying is not working?
I just updated the system to 2004 version, and drivers to 2020 adrenaline.
Still no luck. No matter what airport I choose, I cannot fly.

Is the fly button greyed out?

Have you tried with and without live time and weather? Maybe without live players etc?

Last edited:

MadYarpen

Is the fly button greyed out?

Have you tried with and without live time and weather? Maybe without live players etc?

No, it is yellow. After I set the airport it changes colour to yellow.

No live weather, no live traffic and no other players (only local) -the same.
With DS4 plugged in and without it. It just... doesn't work.

So you click on Fly and then the screen just goes black and stays that way?

Exentryk

Long loading times even on SSD. The world streaming underneath looked very low detail. The controls are very poor (using a controller), and the UI needs a lot of work as some stuff can only work using a keyboard/mouse, but other stuff is fine via the controller.

Taking off and landing is cool I guess. But other than that, don't see much of a point. Might revisit in future.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Kotaku just published a "review" and man oh man, it is just as we could expect.
So much so that this time, even their own community is pushing back in the comments.

if you don't want to click on that link, we got 2 whole phrases about the game and a small book about how microsoft is a big bad tech company and that capitalism has gone too far ....

Last edited:
No, I click and literally nothing happens.

I *think* I got a black screen the first time, but I am not sure. Anyway, clicking fly now doesnt do shit...
I think I remember hearing it's one of the many known bugs. I'd ask in the tech assistant bit of the discord. It sucks.

Awesome game though, just exploring the world and landing at random airports on my way across the US is so satisfying. Trying to do it 'properly' with no assists is so much fun.

tryDEATH

Anyone read that Kotaku review of the game, what a complete sh*tshow. Both the reviewer and editor, should get a tongue-lashing for that embarrassment that they put out. The driving of the narrative against anything positive of MS is really on another level.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Pilot gone youtuber "Pilot Emilie" has started to make some good tutorials for MSFS, here are the first two:

Last edited:
Reactions: LQX

PanzerAzel

Anyone read that Kotaku review of the game, what a complete sh*tshow. Both the reviewer and editor, should get a tongue-lashing for that embarrassment that they put out. The driving of the narrative against anything positive of MS is really on another level.
Yeah but the comments are highly entertaining.

Catphish

Anyone else getting obvious texture load-in since the patch? I never had it before but was getting it like crazy yesterday. Basically anything a mile or so ahead of my plane just kept consistently loading in. You'd have low-res popping into high-res. Looked like shit. I was flying from Syracuse, NY to Ottawa, ON at about 1000ft AGL.

Last edited:

Schmick

Just wondering, the S and X have been confirmed to have a single USB port. What can we expect in terms of connecting multiple peripherals at the same time i.e. HOTAS, Keyboard and mouse etc.

Do you think its possible to hook a USB hub?

Last edited:

Dane

Just wondering, the S and X have been confirmed to have a single USB port. What can we expect in terms of connecting multiple peripherals at the same time i.e. HOTAS, Keyboard and mouse etc.

Do you think its possible to hook a USB hub?

No, they have one front port, two behind.

noise36

Is there anyway to just have the CPU fly the plane from point A to B ?

Game is too complex for me to enjoy, just want to fly places and enjoy the visual ride.

Schmick

Game is too complex for me to enjoy, just want to fly places and enjoy the visual ride.
Well, have you set the flight controls to Easy?

There's autopilot but you need a little knowledge of how to use it.

Yes, use your mouse and click top middle of your screen (little down arrow) Select the pilot icon and the 3rd option down is for cpu control.

Oh come on, it's not that complicated.

You might as well just watch a YouTube video of a real flight.

Maybe that's too complex and you could just shut your eyes and imagine a flight?

Long loading times even on SSD. The world streaming underneath looked very low detail. The controls are very poor (using a controller), and the UI needs a lot of work as some stuff can only work using a keyboard/mouse, but other stuff is fine via the controller.

Taking off and landing is cool I guess. But other than that, don't see much of a point. Might revisit in future.

Its not Ace Combat you know...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm hoping SeX has a 60 fps option. Even it means gimping visuals to medium settings, I'll take it.

Option 1: 30 fps/better visuals

Option 2: 60 fps/gimped visuals

MadYarpen

Nothing happens.

No, I click and literally nothing happens.

I *think* I got a black screen the first time, but I am not sure. Anyway, clicking fly now doesnt do shit...
Maybe I'll uninstall this and try again.

So I re-installed the game and I got the same problem, except now I know exactly how it happens.

So after installation I create a flight and can click "fly". Only when it is almost loaded, the game crashes ot desktop.

When I start it again, the fly button doesn't work. It is not greyed out, but clicking doesn't do anything.

Has anyone had such problem?

allymonty

Neo Member
So I re-installed the game and I got the same problem, except now I know exactly how it happens.

So after installation I create a flight and can click "fly". Only when it is almost loaded, the game crashes ot desktop.

When I start it again, the fly button doesn't work. It is not greyed out, but clicking doesn't do anything.

Has anyone had such problem?
Thetes a large thread on the official flight simulator forums discussing this exact issue. You can also submit a zendesk ticket there to try and get support.

Agggghh fix your broken game ms, there's no excuse for the AP to be this broken. I'm sick of noticing I'm on live pause even though I've not pressed it only to resume and see the plane nose dive. The AP is then bugged for the remainder of the flight, no matter what I set it to, it just nosedives into the ground.

It's so frustrating and not good enough.

sCHOCOLATE

Agggghh fix your broken game ms, there's no excuse for the AP to be this broken. I'm sick of noticing I'm on live pause even though I've not pressed it only to resume and see the plane nose dive. The AP is then bugged for the remainder of the flight, no matter what I set it to, it just nosedives into the ground.

It's so frustrating and not good enough.
Don't fault MS.
What you described is the MCAS feature.
Contact Boeing...

New update is live, it's a bigun. Too lazy to go grab the patch notes as I'm on my phone but plenty is being fixed, including loading times apparently.

Salvatron

Got the game last friday... just doin keyboard/controller for now. I've got a GTX Titan X 1080Ti (12GB) with an i7-5960X and 32gb of RAM. I'm getting like semi-solid 30fps at 1080 with ultra preset. I've tried to make adjustments to get a higher fps, but even High feels like a gigantic step down in terrain detail. Are my expectations misaligned here? Even if I upgrade to a 3080 later this year, should I still expect sub 60fps at 1080 ultra? I thought I had a beast machine.. but this game is making it feel old af. Is this just how it is? or do they need to do better optimization? I am running it off a SSD. "lollipop_disappointed: Makes me worried my machine won't handle Cyberpunk well.

I did a short hop from Ibiza to a nearby island yesterday - gorgeous.
I also did a night hop in Africa onto a very short unlit dirt runway and it was an absolutely terrifying landing experience.

Top Bottom