• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

twilo99

Around 15FPS or so in cockpit mode. If I fly the Pitts SR2, I can get manageable 25-30FPS. What's weird though is that if I take all the graphics settings to Low.. it won't change much. Their engine is a complete brute-force solution. When I upgraded to a Ryzen 3950X 2 weeks ago, it helped but not significantly. Sim still has slight pauses when I'm going really fast 50ft off the ground.

This is my best video I made of myself:

What a freakin rush it was flying that fast and it was only at 375knots!!

Impressive stuff. They need to add more fighter jets to it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

How does a flight in Microsoft Flight Simulator stack up against the real thing? Creator and private pilot “Squirrel” put the unparalleled realism of Microsoft Flight Simulator to the test.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Xbox Series X|S July 27, 2021. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When she’s not flying for real, pilot and creator Emilie is streaming Microsoft Flight Simulator and looking to inspire the next generation of future female pilots.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming to Xbox Series X|S July 27, 2021. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass.

Fredrik

Don’t know if it’s just the Topgun expansion but I’m oddly hyped about this. I have no idea how the actual gameplay is, haven’t played a flight simulator since the Commodore days.
9k5AToQ.jpg

MgTERhc.jpg

g1ZnOFu.jpg

Wulfer

Don’t know if it’s just the Topgun expansion but I’m oddly hyped about this. I have no idea how the actual gameplay is, haven’t played a flight simulator since the Commodore days.
9k5AToQ.jpg

MgTERhc.jpg

g1ZnOFu.jpg
That was the best game ever! I wish that gameplay would be added to today's graphics!

Fredrik

That was the best game ever! I wish that gameplay would be added to today's graphics!
Needs an update for sure, probably ran at 5fps on C64 lol
Keyboard overlay was fantastic!

F/A-18 Interceptor on the Amiga was great too, I played that a lot, breaking the sound barrier felt so awesome 👌

catvonpee

I want to use my first post ever to say: I couldn't be possibly be anymore excited for this on series X. I am thankful it didn't take them too long to port it from PC. My PC didn't run this very well last year. I am not interested in learning how to fly a plane, so I hope the controls are fun/easy to use.

catvonpee

I just want to fly a Dreamliner from Heathrow to Perth in real time. Roughly 16 and a half hours lol. Nothing better to do next weekend.
This is why I am excited for some super-sonic aircraft. I hope you can turn the fuel range off and fly as fast you can at high altitude.

This is why I am excited for some super-sonic aircraft. I hope you can turn the fuel range off and fly as fast you can at high altitude.
I’m looking forward to a Vancouver to Cabo flight - something I’ve done every year for the past 35 years in “real life”. Seen some incredible geography down below. Now I can investigate it and explore it in a manner of my choosing.

cannot wait for this.

catvonpee

I already flew over my house when I played on PC... So I am thinking about a tour of the American Southwest. Take off from Albuquerque, Petrified Forrest, Painted Dessert, Grand Canyon, and land in Las Vegas. I've been to all these places irl. 😍

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Haha I’ve done Perth - Heathrow a fair few times too so used to it.

Prefer the stop in Dubai and the A380 down to Melbourne & Brisbane but then covid fucked all that up…

Reactions: Isa

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Not many people can say they’ve flown a plane into an actual hurricane before. But with Microsoft Flight Simulator’s real time weather capability, if it’s happening in the real world, it’s happening in the game. We follow creator Acepilot2k7 as he hunts Hurricane Laura down, and flies head in.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
When you start looking at trying to push unique geometry to the graphics card, it will tank because of lack of bandwidth.
I really, really doubt it's the GPU that's the reason for 'unique' geo tanking performance in FS, unless you're deliberately pushing through max-detail at all distance (And even that - FS geo details are on the low side either way).
As for UE5, it can handle rendering fully unique details just fine, that's really the selling point of the tech, not instancing (that's just a bonus). But the problem is actually storing (and creating) that much data at the scale of a world (not a 50m2 demo), which is something most people have avoided talking about alltogether to date.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I just finished a three hour session with MSFS in VR on my new PC, a 4K VR headset and a flight yoke, and the experience was just utterly astonishing. I've been a VR supporter since the start (have bought most of the high end consumer VRs), but this is something else, not even kidding. Do what it takes, visit someone with the hardware if you need to, this is something you seriously need to experience.

I've ran into an issue and tried several things, including the nuclear option of reinstalling windows and scouring my drive of everything on it but I just can't get this installed.

Every single time it hangs up decompressing the same package indefinitely. I've left it for hours and it never moves on. I've tired using a shitty connection on the premise that the installer gets hung up if my download speeds are too fast. I've tried as mentioned nuking my drive to erase any sign of a previous install. I'm frankly at a loss here. It installed fine the first time and I ran it for months but when they did the first world update (USA) it hung up installing the update and has never been able to run since.

Anybody got any ideas?

Buggy Loop

I just finished a three hour session with MSFS in VR on my new PC, a 4K VR headset and a flight yoke, and the experience was just utterly astonishing. I've been a VR supporter since the start (have bought most of the high end consumer VRs), but this is something else, not even kidding. Do what it takes, visit someone with the hardware if you need to, this is something you seriously need to experience.

Do they lower the graphics to potato settings for VR? I can't imagine the performance. They have a lot of optimisation to do even on the base experience.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Do they lower the graphics to potato settings for VR? I can't imagine the performance. They have a lot of optimisation to do even on the base experience.

Basically there's two profiles, one for VR and one without, the VR profile is of course lower by default, but the ceiling is the same for both, and with no limits. So if you have enough power and turn on reprojection you can have most things turned up high and keep the experience smooth, crisp and judder-free. I use mostly 70-80% render scale inside the sim to keep the balance at the sweet spot. This might be the only thing I tweak when the performance patch comes out.

Last edited:

avin

I'd ask about the best joystick and peripherals for XSX, but I'm guessing it'll be unavailable except from scalpers, and I'll deduce the best hardware by the price scalpers are asking for it.

avin

sorry if this is a stupid question. i don't play to experience a full on simulation/realism cause i just wanna chill, fly about, and pretend i know what i'm doing lol. anyway, sometimes when i am approaching an airport there will be guides that appear to show me how to approach the runway. it's like big blue brackets in the sky

[ ]

a lot of times it doesn't appear so i just pick a runway and land. the ATC start giving me shit about how i'm not allowed to land. how am i supposed to know what run away i need to land at? i checked the atc log but it never said anything about where to land. am i meant to just stay in the air until they appear??

Last edited:

lmimmfn

I've ran into an issue and tried several things, including the nuclear option of reinstalling windows and scouring my drive of everything on it but I just can't get this installed.

Every single time it hangs up decompressing the same package indefinitely. I've left it for hours and it never moves on. I've tired using a shitty connection on the premise that the installer gets hung up if my download speeds are too fast. I've tried as mentioned nuking my drive to erase any sign of a previous install. I'm frankly at a loss here. It installed fine the first time and I ran it for months but when they did the first world update (USA) it hung up installing the update and has never been able to run since.

Anybody got any ideas?
I would be sure youre running out of space on one of the drives, i think it needs space on C drive to decompress. I ended up just reinstalling the whole thing.

I would be sure youre running out of space on one of the drives, i think it needs space on C drive to decompress. I ended up just reinstalling the whole thing.

It's not space, I wish it were that simple. I nuked everything on my PC (it was due anyways) and started with just a fresh Windows install on my 500GB NVMe drive leaving over 400GB free. Then I tried to install FS on a freshly wiped 1GB NVMe drive. Unless the base install for FS is over 998GB and it needs over 400GB for the save file I have enough space. It was literally the only thing on my completely wiped PC and it still wouldn't install. It's the only thing that won't install that I've run into in 6 years.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In Microsoft Flight Simulator, you can endlessly explore the world and be part of an immense community of fellow pilots of all skill levels and nationalities. Creator DEEKAY shares his passion for flying and bringing the community together.

M.W.

If you're going to buy only one accessory for a game, this is it.

Naked Lunch

I preordered and downloaded this today - and for some reason it actually let me start the game up.
I was like: "did I just get away with something here?"

Turns out it was just a tease and only lets you get to the title screen and says come back on the 27th.
At least you can see some in-game graphics for a bit during the intro, heh.

Weird because all other games I preloaded it doesnt let your start it up.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
9k5AToQ.jpg

MgTERhc.jpg

g1ZnOFu.jpg

There's something strangely compelling about a game on a tape.

Fredrik

There's something strangely compelling about a game on a tape.
Lol there is lots of annoyance about it too. But in these loading times focused days cassette games can be a healthy reminder to realize games were still enjoyed by millions even with 10 minute loading times. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences are from the C64 days, and some devs used the loading times to perfection to show off some great art and music. 👍

Aarbron

Lol there is lots of annoyance about it too. But in these loading times focused days cassette games can be a healthy reminder to realize games were still enjoyed by millions even with 10 minute loading times. Some of my most memorable gaming experiences are from the C64 days, and some devs used the loading times to perfection to show off some great art and music. 👍
A few months back, I decided to give Airborne Ranger a go on the old C64. The 1530 datasette wasn’t having a bar of it though, and decided to chew up the tape instead 😢.

Still, the C64 will forever remain my favourite machine.

Fredrik

A few months back, I decided to give Airborne Ranger a go on the old C64. The 1530 datasette wasn’t having a bar of it though, and decided to chew up the tape instead 😢.

Still, the C64 will forever remain my favourite machine.
Yeah that can happen 😕
Airborne Ranger was awesome! Planning the route ahead with the proviant drops and parachuting down to land in a good spot. Excellent game! 👌

You should look up The C64 though, or just go with a PC and emulators and a retronic design joystick adapter so you can hook up a Tac-2 or Wico Command Control. It’s not the real thing but lots of the nostalgia and even gameplay quality sits in the joystick for me. I get nothing when I play with a keyboard and with a controller, I need a proper 80s joystick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom