• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

lock2k

Banned
I never played Flight Simulator but always wanted to. Do console versions exist or only PC?

I'm fascinated by aviation but never tried it because I never had a powerful pc.

INC

I never played Flight Simulator but always wanted to. Do console versions exist or only PC?

I'm fascinated by aviation but never tried it because I never had a powerful pc.

closes is warthunder i think on console, thats free

TheMan

Pretty sure an Xbox version of this game will be released alongside the PC version

Otherwise, picking are slim on console. General Aviation? forget it. There's an Island Flight Sim game which is rubbish. Military wise things are slightly better. There's Ace Combat on Ps4, plus some generic WWII shit. Birds of Prey (also WWII) came out on Xbox 360 and PS3, that was pretty ok.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
closes is warthunder i think on console, thats free

Pretty sure an Xbox version of this game will be released alongside the PC version

Otherwise, picking are slim on console. General Aviation? forget it. There's an Island Flight Sim game which is rubbish. Military wise things are slightly better. There's Ace Combat on Ps4, plus some generic WWII shit. Birds of Prey (also WWII) came out on Xbox 360 and PS3, that was pretty ok.

Thanks to both of you. I will look into these options

mitchman

Gold Member

Well, these flight combat "simulators" aren't really simulators but more like flying arcade games. The only combat flight simulator worth anything these days seems to be DCS, not available on consoles. IL2 is apparently also good.

Last edited:
Does the water move in these games? They always fascinated me until I realized how much of a stale photograph everthing was. Having rivers that flow/oceans with waves might get me off the fence :)

lock2k

Banned
It's funny to think about it.

One of the things I've been craving the most during this pandemic is to get back to flying somewhere. The feeling of being in a plane is one of the most peaceful things I know and I really miss it.

And to think I used to be really scared of flying at some point.

TheMan

Well, these flight combat "simulators" aren't really simulators but more like flying arcade games. The only combat flight simulator worth anything these days seems to be DCS, not available on consoles. IL2 is apparently also good.

well of course the good stuff is on PC. But he wasn't asking about PC.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

D.Final

Banned

Awesome

Some closed-beta details emerge

A private alpha test now includes Airbus and Boeing jetliner

Work on Microsoft Flight Simulator is charging ahead, with a closed beta now set for the middle of July. No word yet on what it will take to get in. Additionally, available platforms have not been announced, but the current closed alpha is currently taking place exclusively on Windows PC.

Flintty

Looks amazing and if MS brought back a modern day Sidewinder stick I would have a heart attack. Those things were the best bang for your joysticks ever made.

FASA Studio has been dead for over a decade. Believe me I want another Mechwarrior, Mechassault game more than anyone. I still get pissed at MS for shutting that studio down.

MS shut down the studio that made it back in like 07. The same studio that made MechAssault 1&2 also. If MS had nurtured FASA instead of shutting them down they would be a studio that could rival Insomniac, Guerilla, and Naughty Dog for Microsoft first party games.

Yeah, disappointing. Short term gains but long term loss right there. At least they appear to get it now, hopefully.

How does this manage to look better every time I see new footage?

Given the scope and ridiculous scale of this project I can't believe how far above any other flight sim this thing is shaping up to be in terms of visuals. To render this level of detail in an engine moving hundreds of miles an hour in a game with an incredibly robust physics engine is wizardry. The fact that people that have tried the demos have come away with nothing but glowing reviews, not just about the visuals, but how much freedom they are allowed while trying it out and how the people working on the game pose legitimately important questions for them afterwards. They're letting people find their own homes and basically giving them free reign of where they want to go and the conditions they want to fly in. They are being extremely transparent about the development and I think it's going to pay off.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
This is ridiculous.

I remember playing F-19 Stealth Fighter in early 1990s and being amazed on how realistic that look. It's cliche to say but just look how far we came...

Set my departure from Los Angeles, California and flew around for a bit. Stunning is an understatement. Every single building and iconic landmark, including the Hollywood sign and the Ferris wheel at Santa Monica Pier is there. Everything even lights up at night. Imagine the lighting from Grand Theft Auto V at night, whereas cars, the entire city lit up, the fading flickering movement of lights from the vehicles below moving about in the distance. It's all there. Fying over Las Vegas, Nevada is even more detailed. Everything lights up as how it does in real life. Colors, lights, etc. Flying over the pyramids Giza in Egypt at a certain time of day the light reflects off the bricks, giving depth; You can see the outlines of the bricks on each structure.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Set my departure from Los Angeles, California and flew around for a bit. Stunning is an understatement. Every single building and iconic landmark, including the Hollywood sign and the Ferris wheel at Santa Monica Pier is there. Everything even lights up at night. Imagine the lighting from Grand Theft Auto V at night, whereas cars, the entire city lit up, the fading flickering movement of lights from the vehicles below moving about in the distance. It's all there. Fying over Los Vegas, Nevada is even more detailed. Everything lights up as how it does in real life. Colors, lights, etc. Flying over the pyramids Giza in Egypt at a certain time of day the light reflects off the bricks, giving depth; You can see the outlines of the bricks on each structure.

is this your experience from alpha?

Top Bottom