• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters

reinking

Gold Member
I am going to take a guess at how this is going to play out.

There will be no new studio announcement at E3. The rumor mongers that started this will claim that MS didn't want to take the spotlight away from Bethesda since that gives them an out.

MS is definitely going to acquire more studios in the future. That is their MO and they are not going to stop. Especially something like Crytek that has a resource that they can acquire. However, I do not think we are going to be getting these mega-ton announcements like ZeniMax and I doubt we get any more multiple studio purchases unless it is a situation where they buy a single holding company. This talk of MS announcing 3-5 major studios at once is laughable to me.

Smoke6

Frankie debunked the $500 million budget rumor on resetera a long time ago.
Games get delayed all the time. I'm still annoyed at how long Breath of the Wild took to release. It was a little over 4 years from first being announced and Nintendo didn't scrap the look and decide to rebuild a brand new game engine mid start like 343 did with Infinite, nor did they have to contend with COVID. Also, the $500 million budget was debunked by Frankie himself a long time ago on Resetera. The Xbox One era was bad for Microsoft, but that's not indicative of previous generations at all.
He debunked it how? Halo 5 took 3 years and $100mil and infinite has been double the dev time and with all theses changes and yet it’s not $500mil or even close?

man I have some land to sell you

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Microsoft themselves have said that not all the studios they acquired are going to be making AAA heavy hitters. So I think expecting an AAA every month is unrealistic. Probably 3-6 each year if I had to guess once things get rolling.

well, using your numbers, if they are able to release one AAA every two months that would be outstanding and far ahead of Sony and Nintendo pace.

JLB

Banned
He debunked it how? Halo 5 took 3 years and $100mil and infinite has been double the dev time and with all theses changes and yet it’s not $500mil or even close?

man I have some land to sell you
So you want to believe that halo infinite costs 500 million without any real hard evidence. Why not 1000 million then? Guessing its free anyways.

Outrunner

Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.

They need it to take games away from the competition. Otherwise they don't stand a chance. Either way this are all but rumors.

Smoke6

So you want to believe that halo infinite costs 500 million without any real hard evidence. Why not 1000 million then? Guessing its free anyways.
Umm a quick google search help a lot and I guess it’s just free to change the direction and engine of a game, start from scratch huh? Maybe that will be the next article from Jason Schriers (however it’s spelled)

JLB

Banned
Umm a quick google search help a lot and I guess it’s just free to change the direction and engine of a game, start from scratch huh? Maybe that will be the next article from Jason Schriers (however it’s spelled)

Please google it for me. Because I havent found a single link with data backing the 500 million hoax.
I guess you really want to believe that ms is a mess and 343 are just dulls. Why not to believe that the real budget is 2000 million anyways? There the same amount of data backing that than the 500 number.

Smoke6

Please google it for me. Because I havent found a single link with data backing the 500 million hoax.
I guess you really want to believe that ms is a mess and 343 are just dulls. Why not to believe that the real budget is 2000 million anyways? There the same amount of data backing that than the 500 number.
Just bookmark this!

• Triggered
Reactions: JLB

ZywyPL

Banned
Based on what?

How much does it cost to produce one AAA game per month and how much does GamePass + traditional sales on console and PC bring in?

And again, why not release two AAA games per month? Or four?

Simple example - 100M game with 4 year dev time = ~2M a month. So about 200k regular subs will cover that.

oldergamer

stinkles denied that the first time the rumor came up. Yet that stupid number is repeated to this day.

DaGwaphics

Based on what?

How much does it cost to produce one AAA game per month and how much does GamePass + traditional sales on console and PC bring in?

And again, why not release two AAA games per month? Or four?

Obviously, you'd reach a point where more content wouldn't equal more growth and become redundant. Ultimately, these services try to walk the line of creating enough content to retain customers while still growing without spending a penny more than is needed. LOL

I have no idea what that number would be on a gaming service. How many first-party releases a month would become too many is an interesting question.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

so it costs a single regular subscriber £480 spread out over 4 years for a single AAA game what a steal

That's where the group spend aspect comes in. 200k users could effectively "pay" for title X, while another 200k are paying for Y, and yet another 200k are paying for Z. All of these users would have access to X, Y, and Z and so it goes. As the numbers balloon everyone is contributing to a large pot that is netting them quite a lot in return. Running with these hypothetical numbers, you'd need 16 games in 4 years with 3.2m subscribers to pay for it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If its true, I'd expect them to be WB studios that don't do licensed stuff. Just a guess.

DaGwaphics

Glancing over the gaming related twitter-verse, everybody is just going for that 'insider" cred by throwing the kitchen sink at the wall. By this time tomorrow there will probably be a good number of deletions happening. I don't think I've seen rumor mongering this extensive, basically if a studio exists someone is saying that MS is announcing the buyout tomorrow.

However, if there are any acquisitions, you'll have a few that have guessed right and will really be trying to cash-in on there 15 minutes. :messenger_beaming:

Hezekiah

Banned
well, using your numbers, if they are able to release one AAA every two months that would be outstanding and far ahead of Sony and Nintendo pace.
Sounds like a pipedream.

What has been/will be the pre-production and development time of Halo Infinite, Everwild, Fable etc?

Only way your getting internal games every two months is episodic content which they might try.

Sw0pDiller

What 48 games? AAA? You’re tripping
Maybe we should look back at microsoft's (and bethesda for that matter) track record on delivering AAA games for the last couple of years.... No matter how many fancy logo's you can link to xbox, it's the games that matter. Plus like we have seen, talent can just quit their job and leave an empty shell.

oldergamer

What 48 games? AAA? You’re tripping
How is that tripping? its 12 games a year. MS had 13 first party releases last year. Major franchises had updates or new content, also there were some PC only and mobile titles I didn't list. Still releasing 12 games in a single year is perfectly doable.

Wasteland Remastered February 25, 2020 InXile Entertainment, Krome Studios [36]
Bleeding Edge March 24, 2020 Ninja Theory [38]
Minecraft Dungeons May 26, 2020 Mojang Studios, Double Eleven [40]
Tell Me Why August 27, 2020 Dontnod Entertainment [43]
Battletoads November 10, 2020 Dlala Studios, Rare
Forza Horizon 4 update November 10, 2020 Panic Button [45]
Gears 5 update November 10, 2020 The Coalition
Gears Tactics November 10, 2020 Splash Damage, The Coalition [46]
Ori and the Will of the Wisps November 10, 2020 Moon Studios
Sea of Thieves update November 10, 2020 Rare
Halo: The Master Chief Collection update November 17, 2020 343 Industries [47]
State of Decay 2 December 2, 2020 Undead Labs
Grounded Beta

They are still contracting studios to make first party games, in addition to developing them internally

NeroDaGod

How is that tripping? its 12 games a year. MS had 13 first party releases last year. Major franchises had updates or new content, also there were some PC only and mobile titles I didn't list. Still releasing 12 games in a single year is perfectly doable.

Wasteland Remastered February 25, 2020 InXile Entertainment, Krome Studios [36]
Bleeding Edge March 24, 2020 Ninja Theory [38]
Minecraft Dungeons May 26, 2020 Mojang Studios, Double Eleven [40]
Tell Me Why August 27, 2020 Dontnod Entertainment [43]
Battletoads November 10, 2020 Dlala Studios, Rare
Forza Horizon 4 update November 10, 2020 Panic Button [45]
Gears 5 update November 10, 2020 The Coalition
Gears Tactics November 10, 2020 Splash Damage, The Coalition [46]
Ori and the Will of the Wisps November 10, 2020 Moon Studios
Sea of Thieves update November 10, 2020 Rare
Halo: The Master Chief Collection update November 17, 2020 343 Industries [47]
State of Decay 2 December 2, 2020 Undead Labs
Grounded Beta

They are still contracting studios to make first party games, in addition to developing them internally
It’s really funny that you list updates on this but... okay?
That list proves that in a single year the only good release was Ori which only came out in November so for a whole 11 months all you got was mediocrity. So yeah I guess it is doable if you release low quality content every month and for almost the entire year and consider that a ‘good year’

PhaseJump

Banned
E3 is garbage, and I would rather see confirmed acquisition headlines than game announcements for titles that won't be available to play any time soon.

The speculation around "Sega", for example is potentially more exciting even by being pure bullshit, than any year of being an Xbox-first customer this past decade.

oldergamer

It’s really funny that you list updates on this but... okay?
That list proves that in a single year the only good release was Ori which only came out in November so for a whole 11 months all you got was mediocrity. So yeah I guess it is doable if you release low quality content every month and for almost the entire year and consider that a ‘good year’
They have regular released some pretty large updates with new content to the larger games. I'm not just thinking an update to fix bugs, but an update that adds new content like the lego update on forza horizon, or the hive busters update to gears. Its not a new game but a significant regular release. its something you probably aren't accustomed to on other consoles.

Gears tactics, tell me why, wasteland, grounded, and Minecraft dungeons are all garbage? Not including any of the content updates, well it pretty much shows that your have confirmation bias, so there really isn't any point in discussing with you.

Last edited:
MS needs rougly 1 AAA game, 1 small(er) scale game and 1 update to an existing game per quarter.

That seems like more than enough for their end game play. Besides that there is also third party stuff.

SmokSmog

c5e6ebb9bf1de344d9dad183f213ffbd3133b814f6ee605998b3b08b3173a4d0.jpg

//DEVIL//

Jeff grubb said earlier Avowed, Everwild, Fable, Hellblade 2 and Perfect Dark won’t be at the briefing . Hope it’s not a FPS fest.
This guy is full of it sorry . Same as what he said about MS buying MK devs .
Just don’t know anything and making random guess here and there . Why people listen to him is beyond me

This guy is full of it sorry . Same as what he said about MS buying MK devs .
Just don’t know anything and making random guess here and there . Why people listen to him is beyond me

I don’t usually , was hoping there was info/gossip stating otherwise. He’s a bit of an odd one, certainly a big attention seeker .

Papacheeks

Banned
Tons of Everwild articles? I only remember the one where they didn't know what game they are making yet and it definitely feels like Rare knew the world that they wanted to create but not the gameplay mechanics but not sure about tons

Well it's already been confirmed that the project has restarted. So take that for what it is I guess.

Ms has a history along with Ubisoft showing their games in too early of a state.

reksveks

Well it's already been confirmed that the project has restarted. So take that for what it is I guess.

Ms has a history along with Ubisoft showing their games in too early of a state.
I don't mind it being shown a couple of years out and getting running updates, I quite like the dev post drip feed personally.

I don't know what we mean by restarted and I am also wondering when that game director mentioned actually left.

Just saw your post about Jeff saying it was recent but I will need to try and check that out.

Last edited:

NewYork214

Random question. Has Microsoft created any original IP of their own? Feel like there has to be several I can't think of. Forza? Fable?

Pull n Pray

Banned
I am going to take a guess at how this is going to play out.

There will be no new studio announcement at E3. The rumor mongers that started this will claim that MS didn't want to take the spotlight away from Bethesda since that gives them an out.

MS is definitely going to acquire more studios in the future. That is their MO and they are not going to stop. Especially something like Crytek that has a resource that they can acquire. However, I do not think we are going to be getting these mega-ton announcements like ZeniMax and I doubt we get any more multiple studio purchases unless it is a situation where they buy a single holding company. This talk of MS announcing 3-5 major studios at once is laughable to me.
It's hardly laughable to think Microsoft might repeat a business practice that they have performed in the past, especially with the CEO saying they will continue to look for opportunities to "grow inorganically".

Top Bottom