• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

No Zen
No October for Scorpio
No 399 for Scorpio

You know, things that some of you refused to believe...

Yep.

Just confused as to why they'd turn down one but are recruiting for another.

Maybe they turned down PG's game as an exclusive (hence the multi-platform rumors) and are working on their own?

It's Matt. I love the guy, but he's never been a reliable source. At least not to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I've never seen him leak anything that was wrong. Have you? Is he unreliable because you don't like what he says?

You can't really shit on someone as an unreliable source without pointing out something that makes them unreliable.

MCD

Didn't Phil say Horizon is a game very with little impact?

Hmmm ;)

Doubtless his supporters had forgotten that interview..

No.

He said something like single player games like Horizon and Zelda sell like a million or so at release and that's it.

Multi games keep selling all year long thanks to loot boxes (eg Overwatch/Gears) on the other hand.

So if they made a Horizon like game you can bet your ass they will milk it with something similar.

It's really weird between this and the 'we've signed exclusives this week' that MS sort of seems like they've just now started developing more and different exclusives that are years off.

anothertech

Well more games like HZD is def a plus for their lineup.

Would be nice to see more originality but just cause it's the 'style' of somthing means nothing for the originality of a project. Ppl can relax.

EvB

It's really weird between this and the 'we've signed exclusives this week' that MS sort of seems like they've just now started developing more and different exclusives that are years off.

That is always going to be the case, launch title for next gen will be starting now

gamz

I've never seen him leak anything that was wrong. Have you? Is he unreliable because you don't like what he says?

You can't really shit on someone as an unreliable source without pointing out something that makes them unreliable.

Apologizes. Let me rephrase that. I never heard him leak anything? Don't know if he's wrong or right because I've never seen a good leak by him. I don't consider him a MS insider or anything? As I said correct me if I'm wrong. Dunno?

Kyoufu

I don't mind the lack of "originality". Most games are inspired by other games. That's just how the industry works. It's up to Playground to differentiate itself from other open world games.

Theorry

Grain of salt.

The Inner Circle‏ @TiC_Podcast Hearing things like they have 2-3 new ips in production, one is similar to HZD and one is some sort of wolf game w/ Capcom is pretty cool.

Horizon was original?
😂🤣

Name me one game like HZD. Mechanically, it wasn't, but everything else was.

And if it wasn't original, the description in the ad didn't say "similar to Ubisoft game" it said Horizon. So clearly it did something right. 🙄🤣😂😣

Linkified

Because he is never specific - not like a Jason or a Patrick. Hes vague and vague is easy to argue any which way.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

And if it wasn't original, the description in the ad didn't say "similar to Ubisoft game" it said Horizon. So clearly it did something right. 🙄🤣😂😣

Yea it was a recently released open world game.

Montresor

Grain of salt.

Microsoft putting in work.

I think what hurts them is they're all in on their new philosophy to not show any new games until they're close to completion. So looks like they have stuff cooking, but they're going to keep it completely under wraps until close to release.

Sort of like what Bethesda is doing lately.

Rymuth

It's Matt. I love the guy, but he's never been a reliable source. At least not to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you believe Matt is a spreader of false info/FUD, wouldn't it be more prudent to PM the mods about it? They don't usually tolerate that stuff (see: cboat, famousmortimer)

Kayant

On that note, Matt recently said they turned down a Horizon like game.

So....
I don't think it was necessarily about an "Horizon" style game more he was talking about it being a single player focused game.

This is where the comment started from -
Nothing close to this is happening. Dream smaller.

And considering MS just recently turned down a new AAA game from one of those devs, perhaps much smaller.

Then this -
Well I used the word "perhaps," so I don't know where you get all this certainty from.

But considering the game was turned down because MS felt the design didn't give enough potential to be monetized with micro transactions, and that that's not the only game rejected for that reason alone, I think people have another reason to be reasonably concerned about MS's AAA output.

before highlighting the horizon comment which was focused on SP games -
Then you should be particularly annoyed.

Horizons combat system is fairly original. Very few games play like that combat system and the ones that do are typically best in class and by Capcom.

Horizon was original?
😂🤣

It definitely was original, yes. How many games have you played focused on taking down robo dinosaurs? How about the last really good sci-fi story set in a gorgeous open world? Redhead female lead character?

How many games are TRULY original? Horizon has a lot of really unique and uncommon things about it. Absolutely brilliant game. Better than any Microsoft exclusive IMO BTW.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ok, so I'm going to be hopeful and not overly cynical, and I know the game industry tends to copycat what is successful, but I think its good for the overall industry when 1st party games are successful, it drives creativity and competition from the other side to answer. I never understood the people that were so happy that Quantum Theory or The Order were bad games or poorly received. It doesn't help anyone when 1st party exclusives fail. I don't own an XB1 yet, but I really hope Sea of Thieves is great. If someone from Sony sees how that concept is implemented and they have a different take on it, then its easier for them to get support for their project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom