• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft in advanced talks to buy Nuance for about $16 billion, announcement could come Monday

Reallink

They purchased LinkedIn for $26 Billion in 2016. If it's a purchase that has the potential to impact their business, especially if it could do so throughout their entire portfolio of products/services... they'll make the purchase. In comparison Apples biggest purchase, to date, is still Beats for $3 Billion. I think the current biggest purchase by a tech company is Dell coming in at $67 Billion!

Sometimes it makes more sense to buy an already existing technology than start from the ground up and create your own, especially if you're already behind the 8-ball.

You don't see or hear much about Beats now, did they buy it just to kill off Airpod competition?

You don't see or hear much about Beats now, did they buy it just to kill off Airpod competition?
Nah I think the reasoning was for the brand name and they also wanted to move into the "Premium" headphone space. Beats were already premium and they were in every Apple Store.

Beats gets targeted/marketed to a very specific consumer. By all accounts Beats is still doing very well, although it's harder to see these days as Apple lumps them into their entire "audio wearable" category. Apple apparently shipped an estimated 108.9 Million Airpods/beats devices... that's a lot.

Tams

Microsoft are such a joke. Can't spend 50 millions dollars to make a proper Killer Instinct, Conker or Banjo. But hey let's put 20 billions into randoms stuffs.. And then they beg me to spend money in their shitty service with just a bunch of old games i don't care about or games i already own

And you want me to respect this company, fuck them seriously. I'm so glad i never spend 1$ on MS product since post Xbox 360.
Grow up.

If you had, you'd have known (or found out from a quick search) that Nuance are the leading (and possibly only major player) in voice recognition and dictation. They've been a market leader there are well over two decades now. They are extremely well entrenched in healthcare (doctors dictate entire notes), and have a strong presence in academia, plus some parts of education (I have a friend who got Dragon Naturally Speaking for free due to being dyslexic). You've probably enjoyed some form of media that has had someone use a Nuance product somewhere in its creation, and if you've been to the doctor at all in your life, there's a strong chance they used it to 'type up' their notes.

Top Bottom