• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is waiting for Sony to reveal PS5 price to undercut it with Xbox Series X, say Michael Pachter and Peter Moore

mejin

Why would MS knows everything and Sony knows nothing after XBO S and XBO X / PS4 and PS4 Pro it is something beyond me.

Anyway, MS would be in deep shit if even at $399 the console doesn't meet their expectations.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If the PS5 is 399$, I can see the XSS coming out at 249$.

In a two tier launch, doesn't make business sense to take a big hit on the premium product. You see in that strategy, if you consider yourself a premium costumer then you are willing to pay for the premium product.

Texas Pride

Banned
Third by what, exactly? A margin of error in system sales. We're talking 2-5 million delta in total between it and PS3's LTD, that part seems to be conveniently ignored. Considering that PS3 needed a vastly larger number of markets to eek out a minuscule delta lead over 360's LTD when all was said and done, it just shows how impressive the 360's strategy of targeted main markets was.

As in, neither strategy MS or Sony took that gen was inherently better or worst than the other on their own terms, but since MS shat the bed with XBO their global focus with 360 made it harder for XBO to gain traction in markets they did not already have a strong presence in beforehand. Conversely Sony's focus on a wider net of territories helped build up momentum for PS4 even if for PS3 it only resulted in a very small LTD gain over 360.

I've no point why you bring up RROD; we all know it happened. We know what it was. But here's another question; if it was so damaging to 360's brand, why did so many gamers re-buy 360s instead of switching over to PS3 sooner? The PS3 also had its own variant of RROD in YLOD; not as severe a problem in their case, but I was personally a "victim" of that occurring on a fat PS3. Console failures weren't a one-sided affair that gen, even if one was more severe occurring than the other.

People rebuying 360's are the reason MS was close at all. It inflated the sales numbers more than people want to admit. I replaced 5 myself so I don't believe they'd be close without all those extra sales. Your point hurts your overall argument with that.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
Personally, if im Spencer, I announce a $400 price tag at their July event regardless of what Sony has or hasn't announced. Stay aggressive. Put the pressure on them.

This.

After excellent XGS games show. (Fable Reboot,Halo Infinite, Hellblade 2, Pefect Dark Reboot etc...) Announce a price of 400 or even 449 for an October 2020 release.

And the Series S at $ 249 for a November release 1 week before the PS5 would be a stroke of genius.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People rebuying 360's are the reason MS was close at all. It inflated the sales numbers more than people want to admit. I replaced 5 myself so I don't believe they'd be close without all those extra sales. Your point hurts your overall argument with that.
I mean.. game sales hardly fit this narrative.

3rd party games continued to sell nearly the same across both systems until the end, with the game type sort of signifying which system would sell better (largely due to US focused userbase vs WW.)

So if MS's numbers were padded by loads of people buying multiple consoles, then they still for whatever reason ended up with the same amount of "active gamers" buying games as Playstation did.

And when MS had the lead in hardware sales, they had the same lead in game sales... so...

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean better for us if true....but man if they did this it would be absolutely savage.

Far as me believing this...poor Peter Moore didn't even get a chance once Michael Pachter was included.

All Lies and pipe dreams!

dorkimoe

They literally said they are going to be agile on price.

Meaning they have pricing options, and the only reason to really choose one over the other would be competition.

LOL @ "I work for a fortune 50 company"... come on.. you have to know how silly that sounds.

"An hour before they sell it " wouldn't really be how that works... many days/weeks/months before they'd have agreed on a price vs. the competition. So the decision would already be made. "If they price @ X we price at Y", etc.
No. People make this claim during E3, whenever both consoles announced prices, people swore Sony based their price on what Microsoft said. Or whoever went first.

IntentionalPun

No. People make this claim during E3, whenever both consoles announced prices, people swore Sony based their price on what Microsoft said. Or whoever went first.

Your first sentence in this thread was "I hate that people believe this."

I'm not just addressing the E3 stuff; I'm addressing your dismissal of the idea that MS is potentially waiting to undercut Sony.

The idea that Sony made a decision off the cuff is dumb; the idea that MS and Sony price based on each other... is not remotely dumb, despite your dismissal because you "work for a Fortune 50."

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's assuming Sony's price can be undercut without bleeding them dry.
I see a disaster with that line of thinking

Orta

Banned
One of them needs to come out windmilling to get things going ffs

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
It only show they don’t have brand power to compete at same price.
That is nothing related with the confidence in the product.
Did they have the brand power to compete at the same price when the PS3 came out? Just wondering.

dorkimoe

Your first sentence in this thread was "I hate that people believe this."

I'm not just addressing the E3 stuff; I'm addressing your dismissal of the idea that MS is potentially waiting to undercut Sony.

The idea that Sony made a decision off the cuff is dumb; the idea that MS and Sony price based on each other... is not remotely dumb, despite your dismissal because you "work for a Fortune 50."
FIne go back to the first sentence, its still insane to believe that they are operating this way.

Radical_3d

How PS5 cost more with cheaper parts is crazy to me.

Xbox One Series X has more expensive:

+ 2 PCB (one of them is more complex due having a 320bits bus)
+ 10 GDDR6 memory modules
+ 320bits bus
+ APU is bigger
+ 1GB SDD storage

What PS5 has more expensive:

- SSD controller and bus.
Thats over simplifying a lot.

PS5 has:
• a Cell-based sound processor that needs an absurd array of microphones to make the most of it. It can eat up to the 20% of the system bandwidth.
• way higher clock speed, and therefore worse yields results per waffle.
• the SSD although smaller is out of the future, not a SSD that you can buy in a shelf like the SX one.
• the “controller” is not a controller. Is a controller and a whole I/O system to make the most of the Marty McFly drive, with ¿6? lanes that put data directly on the RAM. Making of it an unknown addition of silicon space.
• probably an expansion bay that uses all of the above?
• a state of the art cooling solution that pierces through the motherboard in a unprecedented move.
• an actual next gen controller with all the gimmicks you can think of.
• whatever the hell the geometric engine is.

The PS5 isn’t the most powerful console but it doesn’t sound like the cheapest one to me. Maybe I’m wrong.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

FIne go back to the first sentence, its still insane to believe that they are operating this way.
It's not remotely insane. MS has said they are still figuring out pricing and are going to be agile; what's INSANE is thinking the price of their direct competition isn't going into that discussion.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I’ll tell you what... if these guys don’t make fall for these things I’m just going to blow 1000 bucks on a graphics card and call it a day. This is the worst rollout of a generation I’ve ever seen.

I have to agree with you in terms of the rollout phase. I'm not too sure if it's covid that's causing this but the constant teasing of information here and there is just getting boring. just an announce something show off as much as you can and if there's a delay just say it. people can understand well some people

Last edited:
text of fanboy boy drivel

Okay then.

What does that mean?

Exactly what's said; PlayStation is headquartered out in California now, not Japan. They still work with the Japanese side, but the base of operations for PS division is in America now and has been for about two years.

Painting it as Western media attacking a Japanese company out of xenophobic fears is, well, potential lunacy of a conspiracy.

Anecdotal; if you can't bring numbers to back your claim on an absolute statement, then don't try staking that claim. If you rounded off the number of console rebuys for 360 and PS3 both would be down by a few million. However the fantasy idea that 360s were botched with RROD for something like even a quarter of the total LTD is false, as RROD mainly affected system units from the 2005-2007 period. Launch units and launch period units were the most supectable.

Considering that by the start of 2008 360 sales were "only" around 20 or so million, with a failure rate average on the early models released during the time frame of about 50%, you take out that amount and you still get a very high LTD of 360 systems. Some people seem to think the RROD problem affected units well beyond the period they actually did; what you had instead were people in 2008 or so still picking up the earlier models that were in the distribution chain, but these were systems manufactured well earlier. I don't know if MS ever issued recalls of botched units in circulation or not; if they didn't they probably should've.

So there, hopefully you have better clarity on the point you seemed to be in contention with; you failed to look at the overall context of that situation and used an anecdotal of your own situation. My family picked up a 360 a bit later, but by the time we did we never had any RROD issues with it, and that lasted for a good number of years. That's another anecdotal, but goes to show how you can find opposite experiences very easily going that route.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
No news here. They're both waiting each other out. One is going to have to blink first for internal reasons but it won't be because they didn't wait for the other to reveal their price first.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Microsoft taking a loss on the console doesn't really fit when you look at their strategy as a whole which includes surface and eventually phones later this year.

They haven't been about not making money on the hardware to insure they quality of the device doesn't have compromises. Breaking even at launch is best case scenario I think at this rate.

Outselling the ps5 is obviously a goal but they also aren't stupid. They know the chances of that are low and cutting the price to get the box in the door doesn't do much if they can't get people into their services.

They can still have the value proposition with Gamepass since they will have Halo and most likely a Forza at or near launch. They can market that without having to take a hit on the box.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Thats over simplifying a lot.

PS5 has:
• a Cell-based sound processor that needs an absurd array of microphones to make the most of it. It can eat up to the 20% of the system bandwidth.
• way higher clock speed, and therefore worse yields results per waffle.
• the SSD although smaller is out of the future, not a SSD that you can buy in a shelf like the SX one.
• the “controller” is not a controller. Is a controller and a whole I/O system to make the most of the Marty McFly drive, with ¿6? lanes that put data directly on the RAM. Making of it an unknown addition of silicon space.
• probably an expansion bay that uses all of the above?
• a state of the art cooling solution that pierces through the motherboard in a unprecedented move.
• an actual next gen controller with all the gimmicks you can think of.
• whatever the hell the geometric engine is.

The PS5 isn’t the most powerful console but it doesn’t sound like the cheapest one to me. Maybe I’m wrong.
While I enjoy your colorful speech, I don't think it does much to help your argument. Especially when you say things like "way" higher clock speed.

Your post basically boils down to hyperbole and speculation.

Edit:
We would need to know the cost of things like the SSD. There's nothing to compare it to so it's anybody's guess at this point.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Even Pachter is using the MS' money warchest excuse? MS better believe Xcloud will bring tons of new subscribers to Gamepass, because if they are depending on attach rate to compensate the undercut, oh, boy...

Maybe they won't tell anyone the price until a month AFTER both consoles have launched, it will just be a blank charge on your bank statement, or if you pay cash you just hand over a bill tiled with question marks. Then, within 30-45 days, you will just wake up one morning and notice either 400-500 bucks is missing from the night before. Surprise!

I think we are gonna know sooner than later. I think the June/July showcases will involve price

Last edited:

Radical_3d

While I enjoy your colorful speech, I don't think it does much to help your argument. Especially when you say things like "way" higher clock speed.

Your post basically boils down to hyperbole and speculation.
Well if the difference in clock speed in an AMD GPU that usually has less room to scale than the nVidia one is an hyperbole then it’s ok. As I said is my opinion anyway.

IntentionalPun

Microsoft taking a loss on the console doesn't really fit when you look at their strategy as a whole which includes surface and eventually phones later this year.

They haven't been about not making money on the hardware to insure they quality of the device doesn't have compromises. Breaking even at launch is best case scenario I think at this rate.

Outselling the ps5 is obviously a goal but they also aren't stupid. They know the chances of that are low and cutting the price to get the box in the door doesn't do much if they can't get people into their services.

They can still have the value proposition with Gamepass since they will have Halo and most likely a Forza at or near launch. They can market that without having to take a hit on the box.

Definitely would be out of character for post-360 Microsoft with their hardware pricing.

BUT.... it's in character for a company that has been upgrading Live accounts to Gamepass Ultimate for $1 for up to 3 years... so it's kinda hard to say.

Of course Lockhart throws another wrench at the idea. Hoping they cancel that myself.

In the end companies with loss-leading hardware tend to have to make up for it with higher software pricing.. so not really sure what I want Sony/MS to do. I'm buying both regardless, so a low price benefits me.. but not if it makes their boards and executives less willing to have good deals on software, so really have to think more holistically as a consumer what I want.

Last edited:
So what about that all access program? Is it feasible that we get an Xbox Series X for a monthly contribution?

Isn't it like 20-30 bucks right now for an Xbox One / One X?

If Pachter has actual insider information on the industry he doesn't give it away for free in vlogs or interviews with gaming outlets.

So whatever, he may be right or wrong, so far his guesses don't seem better than those of the average Joe.

IntentionalPun

If Pachter has actual insider information on the industry he doesn't give it away for free in vlogs or interviews with gaming outlets.

So whatever, he may be right or wrong, so far his guesses don't seem better than those of the average Joe.
It's funny because at face value you'd think a financial analyst and a former head of X-box would be the perfect people to listen to on this subject.

But then it's Michael Pachter and Peter Moore and it's suddenly much harder to trust lol

SleepDoctor

Banned
If Sony prices it at $500 with a first party pack-in game, $50 won't be enough. Sony got multiple first party titles to choose from and MS can't use their Halo, only guaranteed launch first party title, to counter it as it's the too valuable.

I don't see either packing in a game, at least not a big ip. At best we'll probably see a free month of Ps now and maybe a free game like Resogun.

ethomaz

Banned
YOUR Omitting the cooling solution which had patents a year or so back. If they had to make their own cooling solution which sounds like they did, to have 2ghz boost clock for gpu, then that adds a good amount to the build. But if that is something they are willing to eat since it's them that designed it, then they may not pass that along to consumers.

Also think their controllers are going to be 69.99. The tech thats in them sounds like Switch pro controller on steroids. Not cheap.
So tell me what we know about the both cooling solution.
Xbox One Series X uses an big and expensive fan for example.
We don't know what PS5 uses.

Controller will be close match in costs.

jakinov

If MS is going to do that, it means they are not confident on their product, if they allegedly are selling a beefier console than Sony, and they are trying to sell it at a lower price than Sony, it only shows they lack confidence in their product.
It's not two companies starting at 0 and slightly more powerful isn't a clear cut reason to buy a console. There are so many factors at play that you need to do whatever you can to keep getting an edge of your competition. PlayStation has a lot of brand loyalty and now increasingly people have a lot of games tied to PlayStation from digital distribution. People choose their console for different reasons and anything that can give you another advantage (for a subset of people) it's arguably going to make you more successful in the end. It's not about not being confident it's about not being arrogant and doing the best that you can to be competitive. You don't let your guard down, you go hard and you keep going. Sony was arrogant with the PS3 and Microsoft was arrogant with the Xbox One. Intel didn't do enough to keep their lead and now AMD is doing super well and catching up.

Moogle11

Banned
Did they have the brand power to compete at the same price when the PS3 came out? Just wondering.

They cut the original Xbox's life off after 4 years to launch the 360 a year before the PS3. That ended up being a wise move as it gave them time to build up the brand with no next gen competition that year, and got aided further when Sony had a rough launch to the PS3 with the $500-600 price (and really the latter as the cheaper Sku was hard to find), PR saying people would work two jobs to afford it, the cell processor creating headaches for developers and having a lot of multiplatform games run worse etc.

That said, MS messed up the latter part of the generation with the focus on Kinect, series like Halo and Gears declining when they went to new studios etc. and the PS3 ended up catching up in world wide sales.

In any case, people just need to stop caring about these sales wars. It's unlikley they'll top the PS5 in sales as the Playstation brand just has such strong worldwide appeal and Xbox is really only strong in North America, the UK and a few other places. Sony has dominated sales 3 out of the 4 generations they've been around, and as noted, finished neck and neck with the 360 in 2nd behind the Wii last gen with what was their roughest console generation.

End of the day, it doesn't matter. There is room for both to thrive regardless of Sony likely selling more consoles. Phil Spencer has said that consoles sold aren't the main metric for them. And he's right IMO. They can make huge profits without having to sell as many consoles as Sony as they can bring in so much money through Gamepass, Live and Xcloud subscriptions. Much like how Nintendo doesn't need to sell as many either as so many of their first party games sell 10-20+ million at $60 a pop as their attach rates are so damn high and many of their games stay full price for ages.

Bankai

Xbox Series X undercutting the PS5's price would be a killermove.

I really hope this will happen, if only for Sony to get a kick in the arse (and getting better).

Top Bottom