• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Japan holds “Girls-Only Xbox Party”

Angry Fork

I don't like Microsoft but I never understood comments like "why do they even try". What are they supposed to do? They have to try if they want Japanese people to be interested in them. Just a really snarky comment that makes no sense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
At least people went. Wasn't the 720 launch completely ignored in Japan?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why the hell do they persist?

Japan as a home console market becomes less relevant with every passing year. You're literally throwing money down the toilet by trying. They should put those resources into European marketing and development partnerships.

Ball pits too ?

EP-140718973.jpg&updated=201407170918&MaxW=800&maxH=800&noborder

putting the con in convention

Sounds like a pretty sad party. I wonder how many of them were interested in the hardware? Or did most of them show up for the pastries?

san00ake

I hope the whole thread doesn't burn down because of what I'm about to say, but I don't know how I feel about gender-exclusive events/shops, be it for either males or females.
It's a form of discrimination, if you ask me, and events/shops of this nature are becoming more and more popular in Japan, especially for ladies...
There are even popular music shows that don't allow you to be in the audience unless you're female.
Makes sense since people would probably rather watch a cute girl on TV than an old dude, but still, sometimes you feel guilty for having been born with a penis.

Also, on an unrelated matter, I've been a Junior member for over 2 years now.
Anyone knows what to do to become a full fledged member? I'm tired of waiting...

Outrun

I hope the whole thread doesn't burn down because of what I'm about to say, but I don't know how I feel about gender-exclusive events/shops, be it for either males or females.
It's a form of discrimination, if you ask me, and events/shops of this nature are becoming more and more popular in Japan, especially for ladies...
There are even popular music shows that don't allow you to be in the audience unless you're female.
Makes sense since people would probably rather watch a cute girl on TV than an old dude, but still, sometimes you feel guilty for having been born with a penis.

Anyone knows what to do to become a full fledged member? I'm tired of waiting...

Perhaps it is just targeted marketing...

Keep on waiting, it will come :)

Electret

I think I've read you need to reach a post count threshold - 300 IIRC. You and I are in similar boats. I certainly wish I were a full-fledged member, but can't find the inclination to rapid-fire post.

Still, I wonder why Microsoft continues trying in Japan. I remember there was a week they only sold like 245 Xbones.

Keep in mind that there was a period where Microsoft was actively courting Japanese developers and funding Japanese-developed games. They likely created several relatively high-ranking positions in association with those efforts, which may have been given as performance awards to members of the division, or personal favors to friends of high-ranking corporate management.

Those jobs are now superfluous, but might remain until someone from the higher corporate level comes in to clean up the division. In the meantime, it's not too hard to imagine why someone in management would want to let those people keep their jobs and just give them a pittance in operational budget for cupcake parties; it's not really their fault that the XB1 was DOA in Japan.

Wonko_C

You need lots of posts.
Try to post at least once a day and you'll probably become Member in a few more months. Quality/helpful posts might get you there faster, I'm not sure about that one, though.

Was there a period during last ten when Xbox was doing great in Japan? Not good as in launch week for an exclusive JRPG, but consistently good for months or even years? I honestly feel Microsoft dropped the ball this gen in other things besides the 180 of 2013.

Keep in mind that there was a period where Microsoft was actively courting Japanese developers and funding Japanese-developed games. They likely created several relatively high-ranking positions in association with those efforts, which may have been given as performance awards to members of the division, or personal favors to friends of high-ranking corporate management.

Those jobs are now superfluous, but might remain until someone from the higher corporate level comes in to clean up the division. In the meantime, it's not too hard to imagine why someone in management would want to let those people keep their jobs and just give them a pittance in operational budget for cupcake parties; it's not really their fault that the XB1 was DOA in Japan.

Doesn't Xbox one still get a few random exclusives? Dozen or so on amazon.co.jp
I doubt the devs care as long as MS help it break even, much like those 10k selling 3DS/Vita games.

Seems like was a fun event, I am sure the females as MS HQ ran a fun party and got a bit of good PR.

So what games were they playing at this party? Eating cupcakes and discussing the particulars of Scorpio can only get you so far.

Decent turnout, though:

From the pictures it looks like Halo 5, Doom, Dead Rising 3, Dark Souls 3, and Kinect games (lol). Looks like Halo might've been the most popular game.

Edit:

Also Unravel, Unmechanical, Ori and Goat Simulator.

Edit 2:

Zooming in on some pics I also see Rare Replay, Forza and Witcher 3. There's Gears merch so I wouldn't be surprised if that was there too.

They better off trying in Europe rather than wasting time in Japan.

France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Scandinavia countries have always been with the Sony brand. Surprises me MS have not made a big effort to do more in those countries. Instead they wasting their time in a country that with each passing year doesn't give a shit about console gaming.

Seems cool to have a ladies only game night meetup thingy. There are a handful of ladies only gaming channels and what not on the various streaming and video services. Though odd Microsoft is hosting it. Like others said, ladies only events or sections are not uncommon in Japan. They have events, concerts, fan meetings, train cars, and more that are ladies only.

Izuna

Banned
You know, if the Xbox One S was even advertised there I would have sold a Japanese one by now. Also, they need pink controllers. Kira kira / kawaii designs are important over there.

to either sex, in case you think I'm being sexist

I don't know if you've been to Japan, but gender roles are very real there.

9jADqm6.jpg

This is a picture of a Men's and Women's menu set. I protested, but ended up not eating a salad anyway haha. If you go out in an afternoon you will pretty only see women in café and stores (the men are working).

--

And finally, the descrimination that women get over there (especially if they try to be gamers) is insane over in Asia. Having an event like this is more like a safe spot. I mean, they need women's carriages for rush over over there.

san00ake

I don't know if you've been to Japan, but gender roles are very real there.
This is a picture of a Men's and Women's menu set. I protested, but ended up not eating a salad anyway haha. If you go out in an afternoon you will pretty only see women in café and stores (the men are working).
And finally, the descrimination that women get over there (especially if they try to be gamers) is insane over in Asia. Having an event like this is more like a safe spot. I mean, they need women's carriages for rush over over there.

Thank you for commenting. I'be been living in Japan for the past 7 years, which is what fueled my previous post to begin with.
That being said, I'd say that it's probably "safer" for a girl to admit being a gamer in Japan than it is in most of the Western world (things might be a little different nowadays but I'd say that was definitely the case 10 years ago).

Izuna

Banned
Thank you for commenting. I'be been living in Japan for the past 7 years, which is what fueled my previous post to begin with.
That being said, I'd say that it's probably "safer" for a girl to admit being a gamer in Japan than it is in most of the Western world (thing might be different nowadays but I'd say that was definitely the case 10 years ago).

If this wasn't a girl's game event, then it would be +90% men because the women would rather not bother with that shit. =P

But I'm assuming Western world means USA to you so I don't know the comparison.

Honestly, people could look at this as a "why bother" event, but think of the alternative. If Sony held a PS Vita fan event and got 50 girls together in America, we'd also recognize it as the niche fan appreciation event this was. Good for them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Was there a period during last ten when Xbox was doing great in Japan? Not good as in launch week for an exclusive JRPG, but consistently good for months or even years? I honestly feel Microsoft dropped the ball this gen in other things besides the 180 of 2013.

360 had a pretty solid fanbase. It sold over 1 million 500k consoles. Now, that may sound small, but a majority of those users were pretty active and vocal, and its far more of a base than OG Xbox and XB1 will ever have even in pure numbers(XB1 will be lucky to crack 100k ect)

Generally, if you were playing western games, you played them on 360, and if you were playing Japanese games, you played everywhere else. So the western game fans kind of mostly coalesced around 360 for a decent amount of time. But even when MS was bankrolling Japanese games for 360, sales for a certain amount of the more popular titles were surprisingly high and compared very favorably with the other units at the time.

Klart

I don't like Microsoft but I never understood comments like "why do they even try". What are they supposed to do? They have to try if they want Japanese people to be interested in them. Just a really snarky comment that makes no sense.

Of course those comments make sense.

The PS4 sells approx. 25.000 units each week in Japan.
The Xbox One doesn't even reach a 100 units weekly.

Any money spent on promoting the Xbox One is money wasted. The battle has been lost a long time ago. It's no use trying to revive a corpse. It's over & out for the Xbox One in Japan. Nothing's gonna change that.

sakipon

Any money spent on promoting the Xbox One is money wasted. The battle has been lost a long time ago. It's no use trying to revive a corpse. It's over & out for the Xbox One in Japan. Nothing's gonna change that.

Is MS running out of money or something? I would imagine they could easily afford to continue small scale gaming promotion in B or C tier countries amongside their other business.

Armchair economist views are really getting too black and white nowadays. A company is considered either one of the glorious winners or alternatively they're a worthless loser who should just pack it up right now. It's like middle level work and side projects shouldn't exist.

Top Bottom