• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft makes FUD bet with N'Gai. Say they're good for it. No warranty, though.

MercuryLS

Banned
I wish they would, but they won't.

MS will drop the price on X360 regardless and Sony is going to get a bloody nose this holiday.

arias said:
After the flood of "$399" responses after the $499 pricepoint, I'm going to place my bet of floods of "$299" responses at the $399 pricepoint.

"I'm going to seriously consider the PS3 at $399, but $299 is where it's at."

Well, if Ozy is right (and my forebrain has actually grown its own fully functioning mouth and tonsils just so it could laugh at the very idea), then they've certainly left the door open for people to say $399 for a FULLY FUNCTIONING PS3 with no short cuts.

arias said:
After the flood of "$399" responses after the $499 pricepoint, I'm going to place my bet of floods of "$299" responses at the $399 pricepoint.

"I'm going to seriously consider the PS3 at $399, but $299 is where it's at."

I don't think there was a flood of "I'll buy at $499" posts. What point are you trying to make?

Eww. Losing hard drive space, wifi, card readers AND backward compatibility would really make it a retard pack. It would go from the do-everything machine to the do-everything-but-play-old-PlayStation-games machine.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Crisis said:
As much as I don't like conspiracy theories typically that seems plausible. If everyone thinks there'll be a $399 PS3 version, why would they go ahead and get the $499 one?

And extrapolating from that, this gives MS time to get the Falcon up and running, milk the Halo 3 launch, then drop the price.

MercuryLS

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Eww. Losing hard drive space, wifi, card readers AND backward compatibility would really make it a retard pack. It would go from the do-everything machine to the do-everything-but-play-old-PlayStation-games machine.

Losing HDD space is trivial (can upgrade), wifi is already terrible on PS3 so it isn't that big of a deal, card readers are barely ever used, but yeah lack of BC would suck (but it's not like every consumer cares about this).

Raist

Banned
Meh, I remember this rumor a while ago. 100$ price drop by just removing the GS ?

lolz

Makes absolutely no sense

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
We're partial to Gotham steakhouse in our hometown of Vancouver, Canada; it's pricey, but their steaks are the best we've ever had, bar none
Signed and sealed. You haven't lived until you've hit Gotham's.

Oh yeah - if anyone honestly thinks that removing BC from the PS3 is a viable option, they can buy *my* Gotham's dinner as well. Wishing won't make it so, son.

arias

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
I don't think there was a flood of "I'll buy at $499" posts. What point are you trying to make?

Who's talking to you? :lol I'll skip this post.

A $399 PS3 with those cut features alongside the range of games coming out for this Fall should be able to move SOME PS3s, at least. Now, if they actually bundle GT5: Prologue along with this barebone PS3 then I can see something big happening.

The problem is just like with the first $499/$599 SKUs, there isn't a $100 difference between the 2 models. Sony would once again be losing a much larger amount of money on the lower-end model. The Graphics Synthesizer, Wifi, card readers, and 20GB of HDD space have a pretty low cost to Sony.

aaaaa0 said:
I was under the impression that even the "software backwards compatability" PS3s still have the GS in them, they just removed the EE.

The next thing to do to cut costs could be to remove GS as well.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=293
That wouldn't make any sense. The PS2 has both the EE and GS on the same chip now. I imagine they are sticking the same chip in the ps3.

JoshuaJSlone said:

but if you have a fully functioning PS2, a $399 with no backwards compat might be attractive.
hard drive space is a non issue. 40 gigs is plenty, and the thing's upgradable to whatever you want. Card readers are pointless since you can hook up flash drives or PSP's via USB. Not everyone uses Wi-Fi, but it's addable via a dongle if you eventually want to go that route.

plus, who's to say it's impossible to create a software emu that doesn't rely on any ps2 hardware? the Cell and RSX are more than capable of emulating an EE/GS if sufficient work was put into the project. it's just a matter of resources.

Busty

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Eww. Losing hard drive space, wifi, card readers AND backward compatibility would really make it a retard pack.

While I can see it making sense from the point of view it would bring the PS3 closer to a mass market price point while still having it function featured enough to not be classed in the same catergory as the 360 Core pack, this just doesn't ring true to me.

I still think that when Stringer (and more recently SCEE's Reeves) talked about a Xmas price cut I think that they were talking about the surely cheaper to manufacture 80gig PS3 SKU being dropped, IMHO of course, to $450 or maybe even $400.

All the things that Sony through out of the PS3 as it stands now to make this much lower priced unit just don't scream $100 worth of tech and parts. I still think it sounds like so much smoke and mirrors.

But on thing I can't get my head around is how is SCE able to push the PS3 to deliver something like GT5 or Killzone2 but can't get the CELL and RSX to emulate a 6 or 7 year old machine without the PS2's original GPU?

bishoptl said:
Signed and sealed. You haven't lived until you've hit Gotham's.

Oh yeah - if anyone honestly thinks that removing BC from the PS3 is a viable option, they can buy *my* Gotham's dinner as well. Wishing won't make it so, son.

Why would they remove BC when it's already software based?

My prediction is that you're going to see the creation of a new, low-end SKU this holiday. It'll likely remove integrated WiFi, memory card reader, and most controversially, all backward compatibility. (Remember, there's still some back-compat hardware in even the new "software only" back compat SKUs; removing the remaining CPU is a significant cost savings.) You'll see a new WiFi dongle made available. And finally, this low-end SKU will likely come with a smaller 40 GB hard drive. The low-end price will be set at $399, with the higher-end 80 GB SKU dropping to $499.

Excellent strategy if true.

Busty said:
]

I still think that when Stringer (and more recently SCEE's Reeves) talked about a Xmas price cut I think that they were talking about the surely cheaper to manufacture 80gig PS3 SKU being dropped, IMHO of course, to $450 or maybe even $450.

Or perhaps even....$450???:lol

KachoMakura said:
It's not all software.

I doubt the cost saving is anywhere as significant as the marketing value of having BC compatibility, but hey. Not sure why it is assumed that this could not be replaced by software emulation anyway.

And do we seriously have the Xbox director of technical strategy trolling PS3 price threads on NeoGAF? Is it the same guy?

arias said:
Who's talking to you? :lol I'll skip this post.

A $399 PS3 with those cut features alongside the range of games coming out for this Fall should be able to move SOME PS3s, at least. Now, if they actually bundle GT5: Prologue along with this barebone PS3 then I can see something big happening.

I don't doubt J6P will be swayed by the allure of a $399 PS3. But many "hardcore" gamers that are holding out for a price drop don't want functionality stripped to make it happen. I don't give a damn about card readers, but take away my BC and you're taking away at least one future customer.

My PS2 is still my most played home console. 34% of my motivation in getting a PS3 is so I can trade in my PS2 and still enjoy those old games as well. But, as it stands, I'd much rather a PS2 with BC than a PS3 without it.

I'm fed up with multiple SKUs. All these value-added/value-eliminated deals from everyone are pissing me off.

Who's talking to you? :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
$399 is still very expensive if it's stripped down. Wifi doesn't matter to me at the moment, but the BC might be an issue. I would be pleased with the price if I gave a shit about Blu ray, but I don't.

Hey, if they released a $399 PS3 I would definitely bite. That's basically the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market, with HD games, for the price of the Xbox 360.

Busty

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Interesting, but I was thinking in NeoGAF terms.

"What price cut?"

Don't tell me this is the same dude

:lol WTF. No wonder MS if veering all over the road, everyone's posting on forums.

Ahhh. By the way, loving the avatar change. Was watching
Bottom
just the other night.

Manmademan said:
Or perhaps even....$450???:lol

Yeah I know, I know. You were too quick for my sly edit. :p

[CFD] El Capitan said:
....why not just re-release the 20gb as it was for $399?

That's an excellent point actually.

arias

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
I don't doubt J6P will be swayed by the allure of a $399 PS3. But many "hardcore" gamers that are holding out for a price drop don't want functionality stripped to make it happen. I don't give a damn about card readers, but take away my BC and you're taking away at least one future customer.

My PS2 is still my most played home console. 34% of my motivation in getting a PS3 is so I can trade in my PS2 and still enjoy those old games as well. But, as it stands, I'd much rather a PS2 with BC than a PS3 without it.

I'm fed up with multiple SKUs. All these value-added/value-eliminated deals from everyone are pissing me off.

Who's talking to you? :lol

Well now I am, kid.

(1) Removing these features will not affect the standard gameplay hardward design that developers will aim towards. It does not remove the hard drive which you can easily replace, the internet connectivity, and so forth.

(2) Taking away BC does not take away future customers. They're not removing BC for all PS3 SKUs. It's obvious this possible $399 SKU is targeted towards a specific consumer subset.

(3) None of these multiple SKUs have anything to do with you. That 34% of your motivation will have to wait for the next price cut.

Plenty of whining, but seriously no rational reasoning. If Sony pulls this off, I think it's still quite acceptable. We'll see how things work out.

Did N'Gai ask Ozymandias about the fact that he first predicted this price cut in January...and then repeated the price cut rumor in February?

Remember the PS3 price cut I predicted back in January? This is likely a step on that path. I believe the PS3 enabled backward compatibility by basically including PS2 silicon in the box. That hardware has likely been removed to reduce costs, and the PS3 is now moving toward software-emulated backward compatibility. Notice the new focus on firmware upgrades for enabling backcompat? ...All of which means the backcompat story is likely to be very similar between the PS3 and the 360 going forward.

-Ozy, Feb 2007

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bc/microsoft-blogger-gimped-ps3-leading-to-price-cut-239513.php

I guess if you keep predicting it, it will EVENTUALLY come true!!! :lol :lol :lol

Ozy should stick to writing FUD-filled joke 360-PS3 "power comparison" charts. At least that **** is funny.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Solar said:
That was deep....

As some have explained it is viable...It doesn't affect PS3 functionality.

Would BC affect the ps1 games on the store? Yes sir.

Its not going anywhere.

If anything they will simply bring back the 20gb unit at $399.

Edit: Also, you are too slow.

LuCkymoON said:
lol apparently N'gai reads GAF but not the whole thread. As everyone knows who read that whole thread it was stated that removing those components would not make the PS3 cheaper to produce.
and he's not the only one!

arias said:
Well now I am, kid.

(1) Removing these features will not affect the standard gameplay hardward design that developers will aim towards. It does not remove the hard drive which you can easily replace, the internet connectivity, and so forth.

(2) Taking away BC does not take away future customers. They're not removing BC for all PS3 SKUs. It's obvious this possible $399 SKU is targeted towards a specific consumer subset.

(3) None of these multiple SKUs have anything to do with you. That 34% of your motivation will have to wait for the next price cut.

Plenty of whining, but seriously no rational reasoning. If Sony pulls this off, I think it's still quite acceptable. We'll see how things work out.

Alright son:

(1) Where did I say anything to that effect? Furthermore, I don't want a modular system where I accept less with the intention of spending more on it later. Upgrading a console nearly defeats the purpose of going console instead of PC in the first place.

(2) Taking away BC clearly takes away from purchasing customers. Do you think J6P knows that Deer Hunter - PS2 won't work on his budget PS3 when his buddy, who has an original PS3, plays 18 Wheeler - American Pro Trucker daily? To J6P, the PS3 of yesterday and the rumored PS3tard of today are identical and should have the same functionality.

(3) You're semi-correct. Hopefully this idea - if it comes to fruition - will cultivate several new, budget conscious customers. These new customers would then buy new software and increase the desirability to developers for developing on the platform.

On the other hand, the potential failure or success of this plan could stunt the announcement of a price drop on the "real" model. Before the PSP, Sony was a company that provided an amazing amount of value for a great price. But after the numerous tard-packs and phantom price drops of the PSP and now the PS3, I have little faith that they'll change their course anytime soon.

Anyways, young man, I was initially replying to your assertion that people wanting a price drop were doing so just to bitch. I find it strange that people get so hung up on where others put their priority with money. Countless individuals and *inster console manufacturer*bots spew the company kool-aid at others in their attempt to justify and persuade fence-sitters to buy.

Sorry - I'll be "cheap", "poor", and will continue to "whine" until Sony puts out a product that I, myself deem worth the price. Not when someone else cries to me that I'm being unreasonable.

G'day, child.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
aaaaa0 said:
I was under the impression that even the "software backwards compatability" PS3s still have the GS in them, they just removed the EE.
No they removed the freaking 32MB of RDRam, which was always the bulk of BC cost.
The rest was just switching a bigger chip(EEGS) for a smaller one(GS) where majority of cost saving was likely due to less pins and traces on the mobo.

At any rate, even if they did remove GS, that wouldn't mean no BC (and I'm not talking about PS1). And while I wouldn't put it past Sony to try and one up MSs hardware blunders this year by announcing "hey, our BC is now down to same level as 360", I'd still hope they aren't that stupid.
A good question here is how far or close are they to 65nm chipset, I could see southbridge integrating GS with that revision, possibly making this debate moot.

Shawn128

Is there an official or at least semi-official list of all the major parts in the PS3 and their respective prices? I hate talking about what can be stripped and not having any idea whether it will cost Sony a lot or not...

C4Lukins

I doubt it will happen, but it would be very smart of Sony. If they released this sort of package from the getgo, they would not be in this position.

Raistlin

I used to respect N'Gai ... no I'm not so sure.

While I'm not saying Sony won't do this, he appears to be implying that the stuff he expects to be cut out will actually allow for the $399 price tag. In otherwords, he thinks it will add up to $100. I doubt it.

* Removing BC will allow 'significant savings' - I highly doubt it. The GS, even with its eDRAM can't be THAT much.

* WiFi - How much could that be? $20? $30?

* Card reads - That costs next to nothing I would think

* 40GB HDD - Crap, that probably costs MORE than a 60GB or 80GB.

What a turd of a joke.

Ozy makes a bet for a $50 steak dinner and gets to introduce a FUD proposition meant to get folks to either consider Sony ass-stupid for something or alternatively think they shouldn't buy a PS3 now because of a potential price drop.

Somehow, to me it seems that Microsoft comes out a billion points ahead in this game if this gets any play on GameTab, NeoGAF, EvilAvatar, IGN, Gamespot, 1up, Level up, and the like.

Hell, he could have offered to buy N'Gai a car and it would still be worth doing.

Jeez.

Top Bottom