• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Nextbox not launching with two models

TBiddy

He did clarify?
Which part did he say that you think is not clear?

If he wanted to kill the rumoured low-end console, he'd say that they're only launching one console. What he said was, that they are "focusing on Scarlett and what was on stage". Two entirely different things. The latter clearly says, that they are only talking about Scarlett.

bitbydeath

If he wanted to kill the rumoured low-end console, he'd say that they're only launching one console. What he said was, that they are "focusing on Scarlett and what was on stage". Two entirely different things. The latter clearly says, that they are only talking about Scarlett.

He did say exactly that there is only one console in the first quote.

The second console he previously referred to at E3 2018 was the Xbox One S All Digital.

Last edited:

TBiddy

He did say exactly that there is only one console in the first quote.

The second console he previously referred to at E3 2018 was the Xbox One S All Digital.

No, he said that they've detailed two consoles, and he then follows up with a vague PR-statement about how they are "focusing right now on Scarlett".

Spencers is the master of vague PR-statements, and he knows exactly what's he's saying. If he really wanted to put the rumours to bed, he would've done so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, per se, but I don't think the quote can be used as evidence that there's only one SKU planned for launch.

bitbydeath

No, he said that they've detailed two consoles, and he then follows up with a vague PR-statement about how they are "focusing right now on Scarlett".

Spencers is the master of vague PR-statements, and he knows exactly what's he's saying. If he really wanted to put the rumours to bed, he would've done so.

I'm not saying you're wrong, per se, but I don't think the quote can be used as evidence that there's only one SKU planned for launch.

No.
He confirmed his statement of meaning multiple consoles in E3 2018 were EXACTLY two consoles.

No more, no less.
And both have been revealed.

Sure you can hope there are other consoles but what is being said here is that any indication you may have been lead to believe previously of there being more than two is incorrect.

It’s a very straightforward statement.

Last edited:

odhiex

This is exactly what I thought when he said consoles at the last E3. I said to my friends, people get caught up with the words hardwares (plural) and thought they would be releasing both the powerful and mid-end consoles at the same time.

They might earlier plan for a whatever Lockheart console, but it got canceled for an obvious reason. MS then releasing the XBOX ONE S all digital, but everybody knows that is just a refreshed model of XboX one S, not the unannounced next-gen console.

Last edited:

TBiddy

No.
He confirmed his statement of meaning multiple consoles in E3 2018 were EXACTLY two consoles.

No more, no less.

Sure you can hope there are other consoles but what is being said here is that any indication you may have been lead to believe previously of there being more than two is incorrect.

Are you reading a different quote than me? He talks about consoles in plural, and continues to say, that they've released the 'SAD' and shown another console. That's neither confirming that he meant "exactly two consoles" or that there's no more consoles in the works.

I'm not hoping for another console. The entire notion of a low-end next-gen console is a waste of resources to be honest, but in my eyes, Phil Spencer has answered like every other high-level manager, that doesn't want to say anything of note.

edit:
Matt Booty also refuses to say anything concrete:

"<Booty> We're not talking about more than what we showed in the video, and what Phil talked about. Project Scarlett is our console plan headed into 2020.

<Interviewer>You did say console not consoles plan there.

<Booty>Scarlett is our console plan going into 2020."

Last edited:

Mass Shift

No.

No more, no less.

I don't think anyone was hoping for two consoles. It certainly wasn't something that gamers even asked for, but the usefulness of such a business model increasingly makes more sense.

In North America, MS still has millions of people gaming and accessing LIVE on Xbox 360s. Overall console figures for the NA market were very soft this generation when compared to last gen. NA gamers did not adopt the new consoles with the same enthusiasm of the PS3/360 era. The reasons for this have been debated in this and other forums. long generation length, PC renaissance etc.

MS probably wants a $299 device that brings these console exiles over. Especially if higher costing PS5 and Anaconda prices them out. A budget console is a smart strategy in such a market. I personally believe that every device MS has will have a next gen replacement. This includes the One, 1X, and the Discless.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Man people are getting way to worked up about this.

I tend to lean in the side of Lockhart is still there. If they had canned it why not call it project anaconda?

The fact they stuck with project scarlet to me means it's still on the table.

Trogdor1123

Sounds good, makes sense.

I was one of the ones confused so I'm happy to hear this.

I hate how the news for the new consoles dribbles out so slow. I wish we knew it all now and then just had to worry about price and games...

Man people are getting way to worked up about this.

I tend to lean in the side of Lockhart is still there. If they had canned it why not call it project anaconda?

The fact they stuck with project scarlet to me means it's still on the table.
Did anyone (you) ever stop to think that the names "Lockhart" and "Anaconda" never actually existed and these "insiders" just got some bad information and there was only ever "Scarlett"?

When this dumb shit started surfacing we were TWO YEARS OUT from the projected release and you think they'd actually get grounded information lol?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Did anyone (you) ever stop to think that the names "Lockhart" and "Anaconda" never actually existed and these "insiders" just got some bad information and there was only ever "Scarlett"?

Back off with the passive agressive first off jeeze.

Second, the name Scarlett came during the same time as Lockhart and anaconda. So why would one be true but the other information wasn't.

Back off with the passive agressive first off jeeze.

Second, the name Scarlett came during the same time as Lockhart and anaconda. So why would one be true but the other information wasn't.
Bad information predicated on Phil Spencer saying "consoles" and people looking to fill the void of "consoles".

Geki-D

Banned
This was pretty obvious. There was no way they were going to confuse everyone and ruin their own momentum by releasing 2 different spec SKUs.

Dabaus

Banned
IDK how to link pictures or tweets but Klobrille, known xbox AstroTurfer and propagandist has said on his twitter that he/she hearing that MS is dropping the 2 sku at launch approach.

Last edited:

NickFire

The quotes in the OP in no way deny that 2 consoles will launch simultaneously. If anything they make it seem more likely. If those plans did not exist a very simple statement that they will only launch a single sku would make much more sense than PR spin.

Geki-D

Banned
Wait, how did you come to that conclusion?
I didn't.
giphy.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Bad information predicated on Phil Spencer saying "consoles" and people looking to fill the void of "consoles".

Seems far fetched either way. Why leak information the ended up being true ,which means it came from a good source, only to make up other information?

Seems far fetched either way. Why leak information the ended up being true ,which means it came from a good source, only to make up other information?
If Phil Spencer would have said "our next console" and not "our next consoles" I have zero doubt in my mind this whole two SKU insider mess would have never of come about.

Him saying that caused people to look into more than was there, to seek that which didn't exist.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't get it last gen they said there launching two boxes (physical and streaming) and it's not as if they have had a console launch since.

I was up for a cheap streaming box to go with my PS5.

xrnzaaas

Good to have the clarification on this, a lot of people still believed Scarlett would be two different consoles (streaming only and high end).

Glad to know they're focusing solely on high end hardware.
Not necessarily high end. I think that the pricing will be a key factor for when Scarlett launches. They can always launch another stronger X model later on.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If Phil Spencer would have said "our next console" and not "our next consoles" I have zero doubt in my mind this whole two SKU insider mess would have never of come about.

Him saying that caused people to look into more than was there, to seek that which didn't exist.

You're ignoring my post lol.

The scarlet name was originally leaked before he even said consoles if I recall. It was from windows central. So again, that wouldn't make sense according to the leaks.

At one point there was another device in the works. If it was the rumors all streaming device that got canned or Lockhart, who knows.

You're ignoring my post lol.

The scarlet name was originally leaked before he even said consoles if I recall. It was from windows central. So again, that wouldn't make sense according to the leaks.

At one point there was another device in the works. If it was the rumors all streaming device that got canned or Lockhart, who knows.
No it wasn't, it came after.

Not the clearest statement but regardless, I'd rather them release 2 versions (one ultra high end and a cheaper version) than have them not push the specs as far on a single sku. Granted who knows if that's the plan but it seems like having a cheaper version would allow you to have a higher priced, high spec version.

Anyhoo, guess we'll see at E3 2020.

Only one next gen Xbox is releasing next year, other version potentially a few years after.
This is what I suspect too. There realky isn't much reason to launch a new "economy" console. You launch a high end one, and then in 3-4 years a new one comes and the old becomes the evonomy one. In a perfect world at least.

TBiddy

IDK how to link pictures or tweets but Klobrille, known xbox AstroTurfer and propagandist has said on his twitter that he/she hearing that MS is dropping the 2 sku at launch approach.

Where does it hurt? He's an insider and knows stuff... unlike you.

bitbydeath

Are you reading a different quote than me? He talks about consoles in plural, and continues to say, that they've released the 'SAD' and shown another console. That's neither confirming that he meant "exactly two consoles" or that there's no more consoles in the works.

I'm not hoping for another console. The entire notion of a low-end next-gen console is a waste of resources to be honest, but in my eyes, Phil Spencer has answered like every other high-level manager, that doesn't want to say anything of note.

edit:
Matt Booty also refuses to say anything concrete:

"<Booty> We're not talking about more than what we showed in the video, and what Phil talked about. Project Scarlett is our console plan headed into 2020.

<Interviewer>You did say console not consoles plan there.

<Booty>Scarlett is our console plan going into 2020."

I must be.
It looks pretty clear cut to me so will have to agree to disagree.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No it wasn't, it came after.
It was December 2017 when the Scarlett named was first heard. Which people are talking about the quote from E3 2018 correct? The "consoles" quote.

That would be nearly 6 months.

Last edited:
It was December 2017 when the Scarlett named was first heard. Which people are talking about the quote from E3 2018 correct? The "consoles" quote.

That would be nearly 6 months.
No, maybe December 2018, but absolutely not anywhere remotely near 2017.

Norse

What if they update 1X with a nextbox CPU? Or scarlet launches with 8tflops but has a slot to add a 2nd video card for sli gpus? 399$ plus 199$ for additional GPU card for power hungry gamers 😀 Now that would rock!

Top Bottom