• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Playing pirated Halo: Reach beta could get you permanently banned

CyberPanda

Banned
The Halo: Reach beta rolled out to less than a thousand people a few days ago, but that hasn't stopped it from leaking out. Pirated versions can be found all over the internet, allowing anyone to play a selection of the game. Microsoft is aware of this problem and has promised to crack down on offenders.

L0nr6Mc.png

Today, Community Support and Engagement Coordinator at 343 Industries Tyler Davis said that those who play the pirated beta will be banned. David added, "If you download or play this illegal copy, we have the right to ban all associated accounts and remove you from all current or future... programs." The beta only contains one mission and is currently just to test out delivery methods.

If your account is banned, it means that you lose access to all your digital purchases as well. Since many gamers use the same account for Xbox One and the Microsoft Store on Windows 10, a ban can be quite devastating. Hopefully, those pirating the game will keep this in mind.

"Bu..bu...bu..but we need a win32 version"

Should have kept it UWP and told people to deal with it.

Last edited:

FranXico

Was anybody expecting anything else? They are allowed to protect their games from piracy.

Not to mention, playing the MP early would allow you to progress and gain unfair advantage. In other words, this is more about banning cheaters than piracy per se.

Last edited:

LordRaptor

"Bu..bu...bu..but we need a win32 version"

Should have kept it UWP and told people to deal with it.

Cool, so they could double down on releasing a game that customers are unwilling to buy due to its format AND that pirates can crack to completely remove and get what the game that legitimate customers actually want.

WeqbyGZ.gif

Cool, so they could double down on releasing a game that customers are unwilling to buy due to its format AND that pirates can crack to completely remove and get what the game that legitimate customers actually want.

WeqbyGZ.gif
I haven't heard of too many or really any UWP games being cracked.

LordRaptor

This doesn't actually work though because any subsequent Windows update (which come out regularly) breaks the game, so even if it is/was cracked it's not effective. Also look at the time it's taking on average, over a year per game, some nearly two years.

oh, okay, when you said you "haven't heard of too many or really any UWP games being cracked" you meant something completely different, and its no biggy because its not close to release.
Other than MSs biggest release of last year being pirated in under a week.

9bCJLiM.gif

Ol'Scratch

why would you permanently ban your thirstiest fans
I would have to think that at least part of it would be that if you know where and are willing to get this crack than there is a good chance you would know where and be willing to snag the full game when cracked.

People are hungry to get a taste of MCC on PC. Bodes really well for Halo on PC, because while the game will obviously be pirated.. There are a huge amount of people who want Halo on PC, want to pay for Halo on PC, and most importantly, being on Steam is the best thing they could have done for Halo on PC. Not to mention they seem to be doing a great job and communicating and being transparent with PC gamers regarding the game and their intentions.

The pricing is right as well.

oh, okay, when you said you "haven't heard of too many or really any UWP games being cracked" you meant something completely different, and its no biggy because its not close to release.
Other than MSs biggest release of last year being pirated in under a week.

9bCJLiM.gif
Microsoft's biggest release from last year isn't cracked, and even if it were it would be unplayable due to online consistency checks.

FeldMonster

This is why PC sucks. I hate that they moved to this "everything on PC" garbage. It is only a matter of time before they allow crossplay, and betweens mods, aimbots, and cheats, it will be impossible to have fun playing Halo online via Xbox.

The worst people always ruin things for the rest of us.

Stuart360

This is why PC sucks. I hate that they moved to this "everything on PC" garbage. It is only a matter of time before they allow crossplay, and betweens mods, aimbots, and cheats, it will be impossible to have fun playing Halo online via Xbox.

The worst people always ruin things for the rest of us.
I'm sure there will be options to not do cross play with PC users if you dont want to.
It will be interesting to see how Microsoft deal with PC cheaters, no other company seems able to get a hold on them, will Microsoft? hmm.

xool

pause a moment to consider "pirated beta" ..

ok how do you fuck this up - simply send activation codes to the email tied to the fucking xbox-live accounts you allow to play .. nobody else gets one .. not difficult . but corporate logic somehow I guess ..

just can't

HE1NZ

Banned
That's what happens when you don't have a release date, but keep baiting people with super limited betas. The entire project is being handled poorly.

That's what happens when you don't have a release date, but keep baiting people with super limited betas. The entire project is being handled poorly.
LOL wut?

The simple fact is that PC gamers can't deal with development transparency, and feel that they are entitled to play betas and pre release software. To make the game as good as possible, they're taking unprecedented efforts to engage and take feedback from the community.

Do I think the people that are pirating this beta are terrible people and that all of them would pirate the game when it launches? No, not really. It's obvious these a hungry fans who want a taste and don't want to wait so long... but this isn't 343i's fault. They aren't "baiting" or "tempting" people to do this. People on PC just have a hard time with limited subsets of people having access to something they don't... and it just so happens that on PC there's "usually a way"..

343i are handling the PC perfectly from most perspectives. I don't agree with banning entire accounts across all games or whatever. That's obviously too far, especially for beta software... but they're being very clear and upfront about it... so just don't do it. It's that simple.

Thats wrong as well though imo. If i do something wrong with a paticular game, i should get banned from that game, not lose my whole collection i have spent money on for years.
Thats just me though.
You're saying this in the face of pirating a game from not only the developer and publisher directly but also the platform operator and owner of your entire operating system.

Them banning your account is I would say the least egregious thing they could do.

HE1NZ

Banned
LOL wut?

The simple fact is that PC gamers can't deal with development transparency, and feel that they are entitled to play betas and pre release software. To make the game as good as possible, they're taking unprecedented efforts to engage and take feedback from the community.

Do I think the people that are pirating this beta are terrible people and that all of them would pirate the game when it launches? No, not really. It's obvious these a hungry fans who want a taste and don't want to wait so long... but this isn't 343i's fault. They aren't "baiting" or "tempting" people to do this. People on PC just have a hard time with limited subsets of people having access to something they don't... and it just so happens that on PC there's "usually a way"..

343i are handling the PC perfectly from most perspectives. I don't agree with banning entire accounts across all games or whatever. That's obviously too far, especially for beta software... but they're being very clear and upfront about it... so just don't do it. It's that simple.
What transparency? A few people responsible for MCC occasionally talk on Reddit, but they never explain reasons for delays and never give any potential release windows. All they said it comes "sooner than people expect". In March it seemed like it's coming out in April. In April it seemed like it's coming in May. In May people expected it after E3. Then they gave away the same E3 level to 100 people. At current rate we might not get it this year, but if they'd straight up gave release window people would just go on with their business and stop refreshing their e-mails daily. They treat port of an Xbox 360 game like Half-Life 3.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They absolutely do, Valve disabling accounts for ToS violations isn't something new.
that must be some severe shit.
cause if you hack and cheat you just get a vac ban you don't lose access to your games.,
wtf do you need to do to lose all your steam games?

bitbydeath

You're saying this in the face of pirating a game from not only the developer and publisher directly but also the platform operator and owner of your entire operating system.

Them banning your account is I would say the least egregious thing they could do.

Wouldn’t that just lead to more pirating?

Stuart360

What transparency? A few people responsible for MCC occasionally talk on Reddit, but they never explain reasons for delays and never give any potential release windows. All they said it comes "sooner than people expect". In March it seemed like it's coming out in April. In April it seemed like it's coming in May. In May people expected it after E3. Then they gave away the same E3 level to 100 people. At current rate we might not get it this year, but if they'd straight up gave release window people would just go on with their business and stop refreshing their e-mails daily. They treat port of an Xbox 360 game like Half-Life 3.
I think they are just trying to get it right and not have a similar situation they had with the XB1 version at launch. As for the '360 game' comment, the MCC was the most wishlisted game on Steam since it was announced month ago, and has finally been knocked off the top spot be freaking Cyberpunk. Its a big deal for PC users this game.

that must be some severe shit.
cause if you hack and cheat you just get a vac ban you don't lose access to your games.,
wtf do you need to do to lose all your steam games?
It can be something as simple as using a VPN to get around regional restrictions to impersonating a Valve employee.

They can void your subscriptions at will, and for any reason, at any point in time. All you have to do is get noticed.

Uh the transparency where they make blogs with more words that this entire thread so far on a regular basis and explain where they are at and the issues they are having with development. The reason why they are testing and flighting the game like they are while they validate their delivery systems.. the transparency of being able to admit that they don't know and haven't finalized a release date. The kind where they admit when they're having troubles or that there have been delays and for what reasons..

It's not their fault that, exactly as I said, people like you don't know how to deal with that transparency and feel that they are actually baiting and teasing people with it... lmao, come on. The game will be ready when they decide it is.

petran79

Banned
Pirates are always one step ahead though
With Steamwork Fix you do not even need to use your Valve account and can play pirated versions online.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It can be something as simple as using a VPN to get around regional restrictions to impersonating a Valve employee.

They can void your subscriptions at will, and for any reason, at any point in time. All you have to do is get noticed.
VPN? hahaha i abused the hell out of that

This is stupid. One could argue that 343 would have a case with people pirating the finished product. But these are people who have been craving Halo on the PC for 10+ years, if they could pay for the game I'm sure they would. Does 343 really want to ban some of their most hyped customers?

MagnesG

Banned
These are just gonna affect low end customers, so I'm not that concerned. Also trying to justify your means..

Top Bottom