• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Pulls Out of GDC Over Coronavirus Concerns

ManaByte

After a close review of guidance by global health authorities and out of an abundance of caution, we’ve made the difficult decision to withdraw from participating at Game Developers Conference 2020 in San Francisco. The health and safety of players, developers, employees, and our partners around the world is our top priority. Especially as the world is experiencing growing public health risks associated with coronavirus (COVID-19).

In light of this, we plan to move our presence to a digital-only event March 16-18th held on www.microsoft.com/gamestack. This event will feature the majority of our planned game developer sessions and experiences, which will be streamed live and available on demand.

Here’s what you can expect to see:
  • Join us to learn about the latest in cloud and game development technologies through our technical talks and developer demos
  • Tune into panel discussions with industry leaders about the evolution of game development, intentionally inclusive game design, the increasing role of online services, next gen hardware, and the future of game streaming.
  • Get a behind-the-scenes look into design and development decisions made by the creators of Minecraft and Gears of War, and hear from Xbox Game Studios teams Double Fine, inXile, Compulsion, Rare, Obsidian, and Undead Labs

Mista

Banned
Sony did it first.

Still leading the way.
source.gif

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
As I said in the other coronavirus thread... really starting to feel nervous about my upcoming work flight to DC in about a month. It just doesn't feel like a great time to pack onto a plane with a ton of international traffic in the region.

Tygeezy

As I said in the other coronavirus thread... really starting to feel nervous about my upcoming work flight to DC in about a month. It just doesn't feel like a great time to pack onto a plane with a ton of international traffic in the region.
Bro, I was actually in China from the 12th-the 31st and came back fine. You don't need to panic about going somewhere in the United States.

Last edited:
Actually Nintendo did it first with Nintendo Direct! Nintendo still leading the way! 😝
Sony had those digital event back in the PS3 days (however they still attended the conferences)... Going to GDC is important anyway, you have to sell the devs to the prodct so they are enthusiastic to the prospect of working on it.

Something is really going on with this Corona thing now, people just know it can popup anywhere at any moment.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Bro, I was actually in China from the 12th-the 31st and came back fine. You don't need to panic about going somewhere in the United States.

Well, my concern is based on the possibility of the virus picking up pace here in the US over the next month, which is within the realm of possibility--and if it happens I'd much prefer to avoid flying into any major hubs for a little while. But if things stay as they are, you're likely correct.

Tygeezy

Well, my concern is based on the possibility of the virus picking up pace here in the US over the next month, which is within the realm of possibility--and if it happens I'd much prefer to avoid flying into any major hubs for a little while. But if things stay as they are, you're likely correct.
Yeah, not only did I fly to china, but I packed on a plane to go to Beijing from Guangzhou and returned to Guangzhou on a packed flight, and was in places that were just packed with people. I was at way more risk than anybody here will be. The numbers are pretty low considering how densely populated China is. China did a good job locking down Wuhan though so the infection was mainly contained there in the mainland.

It looks like all kinds of things are gonna get canceled going forward. Will the Olympics happen at this point?

Yes, but it, too, will become a digital-only event, with:

• Track and field events being replaced by athletes with the NES Power Pad and a copy of Stadium Events
  • Skateboarding events will now simply be a game of HORSE in Tony Hawk
  • Baseball will just be simulated by MLB The Show, and medals handed out based off of 100 simulations
  • Fencing events will just be the crappy swordfighting portions of various Sierra games
  • Everything else will just be handled by a Commodore 64 and a copy of Summer Games by Epyx

at least they are offering an alternative by doing a digital only event

thats actually pretty smart.

In light of this, we plan to move our presence to a digital-only event March 16-18th held on www.microsoft.com/gamestack. This event will feature the majority of our planned game developer sessions and experiences, which will be streamed live and available on demand.

This should be in the title! something like: "pulls out of GDC but will have digital-only event instead!"

Pallas

Sucks but it’s expected, but at least they are giving us a digital only show as compensation. I hope Sony does the same, if it hasn’t already been announced.

You would think 12TF would be enough power to fend off the coronavirus.

12TF at Super RDNA 2 is equivalent to Goku SSJ2

Coronavirus is equivalent to fat Buu

Gonna need RDNA 3 if you want to tackle that monster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom