• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Pulls Out of GDC Over Coronavirus Concerns

MaulerX

Sucks but at least they're offering an alternative. And together with the 12TF RDNA 2 announcement, it shows that they're not using the coronavirus to not give any info at all.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No. MS is still doing a digital event, what's Sony doing?
^^^Gotta point there...

Sony is absent and seems like not even a State of Play is planned here to tide us over. No consolation prizes from Sony. It's like they are saying, well we were gonna do this, had it all planned out...but up, coronavirus...so instread...we do nothing...NOTHING WE HAD PLANNED CAN BE REPURPOSED FOR A DIGITAL EVENT.

C'mon guys, this deserve at least a little outrage at this point. This is bullshit.

Klayzer

Microsoft certainly knows its audience well. They will lap up any tweet or interview like it's an industry gamechanger. You can't say their pr message doesn't work, if you go by how much the faithful hangs on every word. The constant need of assurance from some is offputting to say the least.

Arkam

Pulling out when you are one of that last big companies still planning to attend.....

thJcqXea4uLnQJqqGaDsawSkIciDfm2DdjdLb8gX1xAdR-5pZ7PrWk8gFEWIJ0KbBGC1iv8q3D0b7ozsxQX5Nu5Y5qxEs0Nwpl5G_2j57e6k3VzfwXG3QqU-IitGDsLw2YZizk8kMqr_PZy7ReuWzUPWZqY6J9ltuU784_TaYNgNVUAraZco

Why were they showing up in the first place.

Also, pulling out is not a very manly thing to do, you gotta get in there and fck the sht out of that thing. - George Carlin

I only browsed the Sony Coronavirus thread, but I swear I saw some folk tearing Sony a new one for all sorts of reasons......You think these folks are online today? Maybe not then...…...
Hmmm. That would be hypocritical. Could you link said posts with users in this thread that said it was a good decision on MS part but then said it was bad for Sony in the thread you are referring to?

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
All these companies backing out of events seems a bit of a overreaction considering Corona is like the flu.

There's a difference between a new subversive virus ravaging the globe, and one that we've had over a decade to prepare for and develop treatments for.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There's a difference between a new subversive virus ravaging the globe, and one that we've had over a decade to prepare for and develop treatments for.

Yes no vaccine has been created for the Corona virus, but in terms of symptoms and mortality rate the 2 diseases are quite similar.
Hopefully a vaccine will be created soon.

Dacon

Banned
Yes no vaccine has been created for the Corona virus, but in terms of symptoms and mortality rate the 2 diseases are quite similar.
Hopefully a vaccine will be created soon.

I think you should look more closely into this to see just how severe this virus has become in comparison to the flu.

Sosokrates

I think you should look more closely into this to see just how severe this virus has become in comparison to the flu.

I have,

Here are the stats.

Statistics on the flu

Flu-Infographics_0912v2_By-the-numbers.png

I've already said why they are different, but if you look at the statistics, mortality rate is similar.

ethomaz

Banned
I have,

Here are the stats.

Statistics on the flu

Flu-Infographics_0912v2_By-the-numbers.png

I've already said why they are different, but if you look at the statistics, mortality rate is similar.
Yeap...

A new virus compared with a 10 years old virus statistics.
Let’s see how this new Coronavirus stats will be in 2030.

Just a hint... Flu in 2009 had a 0.01-0.08% mortality rate... this new Coronavirus is already over 2% ;)

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Yeap...

Just a hint... Flu in 2009 had a 0.01-0.08% mortality rate... this new Coronavirus is already over 2% ;)

Thank you, not to mention the coronavirus has been tearing through the population in a much shorter time period.

Sosokrates

Yeap...

The statistics are "since 2010” not from 2010.

Corona virus will probably have a similar mortality rate in 2030 if you look at what happened to SARS, bird flu, swine flu etc those diseases were controlled.

I mean what exactly are you trying to say? Are you like "oh no be worried, Corona could kill you!!"

Because if you say that about Corona you should be as worried and dramatic about the flu, based on available statistics.

What exactly are you basing you opinion on?

Dacon

Banned

Corona virus will probably have a similar mortality rate in 2030 if you look at what happened to SARS, bird flu, swine flu etc those diseases were controlled.

I mean what exactly are you trying to say? Are you like "oh no be worried, Corona could kill you!!"

Because if you say that about Corona you should be as worried and dramatic about the flu, based on available statistics.

Every case of the coronavirus has not been reported, we aren't even completely sure of how it's traveling, it already has a higher mortality rate than the flu.

No one is saying scream the end is nigh, but people need to be prepared and stop brushing it off. There's plenty of officials on this stuff saying the same. I'll take their word over internet dude #500000.

These businesses aren't being disrupted and cancelling events over nothing .

Sosokrates

Every case of the coronavirus has not been reported, we aren't even completely sure of how it's traveling, it already has a higher mortality rate than the flu.

No one is saying scream the end is nigh, but people need to be prepared and stop brushing it off. There's plenty of officials on this stuff saying the same. I'll take their word over internet dude #500000.

These businesses aren't being disrupted and cancelling events over nothing .

And there's plenty of officials saying not to worry based on the figures and what they know about the virus.
Yes it has a higher mortality rate then flu , but if you actually look at the figures the chances of dying from Corona are very low if your under 65 and have no chronic condition.

I never said people are screaming from the rooftops or that people should not take some care,
I dont know maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick, not going to large events that people have come from other countries is a good idea.
But based on the data this is not like some Hollywood outbreak movie. ( I'm not saying anyone is saying this)
And people have very low chances of dying from the flu if your under 65 and no chronic health conditions as they do of Corona, the difference with Corona is the risk of re infection and drs don't fully understand the virus like they do with common flu strains. So while there are more risks with Corona and people should take some measures to try and prevent infection, but being greatly more fearful about Corona over the flu does not make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Yeap...

Huh.
I just learned something new.
👍

ethomaz

Banned

Basing my opinion in facts.
This new Coronavirus mortality rate is already over twice of the Flu at the same time period.

Jtibh

Banned
All of you say microsoft follows sony in everything.

Well to all of you i say you are more wrong the me about a thai bargirls gender.

Anyone remember the THE TESTER?

ethomaz

Banned
Not if your under 65 and have no other chronic condition.
So if you are over 65 or have any chronic condition then you are out of the statistics because your are not important enough lol

Any virus affect more people with low immunity system aka elders, chronic conditions, etc.

75-80% of Flu deaths are from 65 or older people: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/65over.htm

The biggest difference is this new Choronavirus kills more people today than Flu in 2009.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
JFC...another one? Please... another lame excuse for cancelling an event. First Sony, now Microsoft. Seems the only company that hasn't fallen for the Covid-19 BS is Nintendo.

SMH...

Sosokrates

So if you are over 65 or have any chronic condition then you are out of the statistics because your are not important enough lol

Any virus affect more people with low immunity system aka elders, chronic conditions, etc.

Exactly, the majority of people who have died from Corona have been elderly or have another disease.
So if people are old or have another series condition they should take extra measures, like they should with the flu too.
But here are the Corona death rates for healthy people

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Exactly, the majority of people who have died from Corona have been elderly or have another disease.
So if people are old or have another series condition they should take extra measures, like they should with the flu too.

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
I posted the Flu data... it is the same lol

And it doesn’t matter if it is old people or not it is death.

“It is not bad because it only affect old people” c’mon.
I prefer my biased console mentality over that bullshit you are trying to say.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I posted the Flu data... it is the same lol

And it doesn’t matter if it is old people or not it is death.

“It is not bad because it affect only old people” c’mon.

So if it's the same as flu.... Which is my point..

And I never said old people dying does not matter, however the majority of people are not old, so it somewhat taints the death rate for the majority of people.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Well, to be honest.
Coronavirus does seem to be a lot more transmissable than Bubonic Plague. (which they already have in these areas)

Last edited:

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
Interesting statistics.

To be fair, all the over 80 crowd had to do was get out of bed and it would've been a high probability that death was coming that day.

That reads much darker than it sounded in my head. Lol.

ethomaz

Banned
So if it's the same as flu.... Which is my point..

And I never said old people dying does not matter, however the majority of people are not old, so it somewhat taints the death rate for the majority of people.
The same is about old people lol

This new Coronavirus is more deadly than Flu.

Top Bottom