• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft renews Lost Odyssey trademarks

Pantz

There was that rumor of a beloved Microsoft IP is getting a 2nd installment next gen. Plus Sakaguchi mentioned he's working on a new game a few days ago.

Maybee?

cdthree

Honestly the rumor was very vague. Does second installment mean a second different style game in a series? Like a mainline Halo, and a second RPG Halo? Or literally the second game in a series? KI and Sunset Overdrive seen kinda, meh. Not beloved to the majority.

EssKayZee

There was that rumor of a beloved Microsoft IP is getting a 2nd installment next gen. Plus Sakaguchi mentioned he's working on a new game a few days ago.

Maybee?

The rumor also mentioned that we've played the game in the last 4 years or so. So it may be a backwards compatible title. Is Lost Odyssey backwards compatible?

wvnative

The rumor also mentioned that we've played the game in the last 4 years or so. So it may be a backwards compatible title. Is Lost Odyssey backwards compatible?

Yeah but I think he meant an Xbox One IP.

Ain't gonna be a Lost Odyssey 2 people.

Graciaus

Pc release would be nice. Pretty sure I sold my 360 version. Great overall game and one of the best of last Gen.

GenericUser

Gimme lost osyssey directed by Mr. Sakaguchi and music written by Mr. Uematsu and I'll gladly suck your dicks Mr. Microsoft.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is the bigger question, is Sakaguch will be ever interested making another Xbox exclusive JRPG? If he ever interested making another console game then its either going to be multiplatform like KHIII or PS4/PC or PS4/Switch or PS4 or Switch exclusives. I think the day of Xbox getting JRPG exclusive is over, Scalebound was their last try.

blackjon24

I feel like xbox fans in general underappreciated how awesome this IP is.... they'd rather have another crackdown instead

Danjin44

I feel like xbox fans in general underappreciated how awesome this IP is.... they'd rather have another crackdown instead
In 360 days maybe but I feel like this gen overall people are way more open minded to Japanese games than last gen.

Last edited:

Pallas

Wonderful game that really deserved a lot more credit and recognition. It deserves a sequel but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just woke up and read Microsoft Reviews Mario Odyssey Landmarks and was like, huh?

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

Here is the bigger question, is Sakaguch will be ever interested making another Xbox exclusive JRPG? If he ever interested making another console game then its either going to be multiplatform like KHIII or PS4/PC or PS4/Switch or PS4 or Switch exclusives. I think the day of Xbox getting JRPG exclusive is over, Scalebound was their last try.
Scalebound was not a JRPG though.

Caayn

I really hope that this ends up resulting in a new LO title. The first one was brilliant. But the pessimist in me says that this is nothing more than a renewal to prevent the loss of the IP.
Would you consider this to be a bad thing?

There was Cry On for the Xbox 360, but that got cancelled because Microsoft pulled out of supporting it as a publisher, and expecting Mistwalker to self publish it for them in Japan. The last time a publisher attempted that was Star Ocean 4 and Far East of Eden X360, both successfully killing their respecting series for a while.

As much as I love to see a Lost Odyssey sequel, I have to agree with this. If Sakaguchi isn’t directing it, I feel that it just won’t be the same. Add in the possibility that Xbox fans, well.....you know Japanese game on Xbox scenario. I’m thinking if it does exist, it might be multiplatform game or maybe they acquired a new director.

Wimbledon

The opening to Lost Odyssey has easily, one of the best transitions to cut scene to game play that I've ever seen.

Fbh

Game warranted a sequel?

I really liked the game but... not really. The story felt finished and while I liked most of the characters (other than the children who are horrible just as in 99.9% of JRPG's) I wasn't left feeling like I needed to see more stories with them.

But I would have loved to see the franchise continue in the same way as FF, with a new story and new characters but maintaining some similar features to the original. It would have been cool to have a franchise of high budget "classic" JRPG's running alongside FF which has been trying to change things up for a while

Last edited:
I really liked the game but... not really. The story felt finished and while I liked most of the characters (other than the children who are horrible just as in 99.9% of JRPG's) I wasn't left feeling like I needed to see more stories with them.

But I would have loved to see the franchise continue in the same way as FF, with a new story and new characters but maintaining some similar features to the original. It would have been cool to have a franchise of high budget "classic" JRPG's running alongside FF which has been trying to change things up for a while

With a cast of immortal beings, I want to see the same world a few millennia later. Seth and Gongora are now back in the parallel universe where a year is equal to a thousand years. That's a lot of time for shit to go wrong. Kaim, Sarah and Ming will have lived through 3000 years of watching their children die, families crumble, countries and civilizations come and go. It's believable their outlook could have changed in that time and they decide to try to return to the other dimension, or that Gongora would find a way to escape the other dimension again.

The immortals would still exist, but every other cast member would be long dead, the whole world could be different.

PseudoViper

Wishful thinking: Another Lost Odyssey game would be dope!

Super wishful thinking: If there is indeed another game, what if MS is letting Obsidian do it!!!! xD

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This was one of the first games I played when I got my 360. Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and my intro to WRPGs with Oblivion helped me understand I no longer liked JRPGs and LOVED WRPGs.

That said I hope this is true for those that love JRPGs. Choices and diversity of games is always a good thing.

Artistic

On Disc 2 at the moment. Would like to finish it soon.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Announce the sequel on Xbox One with the same core concepts of immortality with a different story around it in a different world and I'll buy an Xbox One.

ExpandKong

Banned
Game was awesome. I’ll take a remaster or a sequel or whatever they got. Let me give this franchise money please.

With Uematsu on indefinite sabbatical I’d say get Shimomura in there to compose the music.

Danjin44

Game was awesome. I’ll take a remaster or a sequel or whatever they got. Let me give this franchise money please.

With Uematsu on indefinite sabbatical I’d say get Shimomura in there to compose the music.
The issue here is I don’t think any Japanese developers wants to make exclusive games for Xbox like they did back in 360 days and since Lost Odyssey IP own by MS, Sakaguchi will just going make new IP instead. This IP could end up multiplatform like FFXV or like Atlus it would be either be exclusive for PS4 or Switch or just PS4 and PC, Chance of us ever see exclusive JRPG for Xbox is really low at this point.

Top Bottom