• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft respond to the EDGE article

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Microsoft is saying is analogous to a car manufacturer claiming their car doesn't make as much power as the competition, but handles really well.

Ultimately, who knows if it'll matter. It's all about what the 3rd parties can do with the games.

This is getting ridiculous.

Not the thread I mean, just the constant back and forth between PR machines.

What are you talking about? Sony hasn't said a thing about this, Microsoft's the one doing all the talking and they're doing it against facts.

scitek

It's weaker, it's not something they can deny, so they didn't. Games won't do the talking for you, developers will, and they already have been.

Another huge thread incoming. I can't wait for both consoles. The console that can deliver the games will win. They're close enough that the specs won't matter to your average joe gamer.

Krakn3Dfx

Should have said we believe there is more to games than just graphics, and Kinect 2.0 provides an unparalleled gaming experience.

"And we'll be showing off those games at launch!"

<someone whispers in ear, writer seems confused, then annoyed, then erases 'at launch'>

soon after the system launches!"

RoKKeR

I'm actually ok with this response, considering I've yet to see compelling evidence in Xbox One games that leads me to believe it's years behind the PS4 in terms of power.

I'm sure it will make a difference down the line, but at this point these debates feel shallow when there are only unreleased launch titles to judge by.

Gammacide

Honestly, this is getting ridiculous. I simply cannot believe a major corporation that did so much right with the 360 could manage to fuck up so wildly with just about everything related to the XBone. It's absolutely mind-bogglingly dumb. These shills just make it look somehow even worse.

KAL2006

Banned
Cam someone make a list of all the times we have found out PS4 is more powerful

AMD
Res0Gun devs
Jack Tretton

There are few others I forgot

I think saying its about the games is valid. However the 360 was all of for multiplats and ps3 was good for exclusives so they better get some good games seeing as the playing field is no longer skewed in their favor in regards to multiplats

For me its a bad indication that Microsoft isn't secure in their lack of performance compared to the ps4. They went for a less powerful design purposefully so they could provide the Kinect and tv features of their console and now they have done zero in the way of showing customers that the performance difference means jack shit because you will have the best gaming experience on xbox one. "we believe in the Kinect" We just dont believe in it enough to show the customers that it makes up all the difference in the specs being lower than PS4.

semiconscious

Gold Member
don't know what any of you expect them to say other than this.

how about... nothing?...

they've already claimed that the average xbox fan doesn't give a fuck:

And the negativity? Well, it may not matter so much to Microsoft. Sure, core gamers complain, but the folks who don't really pay attention and who just want a fancy box will be fine with Microsoft's Xbox One. "In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi. "We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."...

they should just let sleeping dogs (like this article) lie. they have nothing to gain whatsoever by responding...

thats wii u right

nah

400_F_780968_YdrsPYDstPZ5T8dfBLUefghENXYDsO_PXP.jpg

here it is, just for you

Proelite

I don't think the specs gap is big enough to matter outside of message boards. I expect them to have the same port troubles that PS3 did with Black Ops ports.

Actually Black Ops ports were horrid. MS is fucked if COD is half the frame-rate of the PS4 version.

But if XB1 games runs at 720p-900p versus 1080p on the PS4 and that's the ONLY difference, I think they should be fine as long as they price drop REAL quick.

Skeff

Good Response Microsoft, now get in those "better with kinect" stuff and you'll start having your PR back on track.

Gestault

How dare a company say their product should be judged based on its visible performance and the quality of its software once people have had a chance to compare it with other products on the market.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm actually ok with this response, considering I've yet to see compelling evidence in Xbox One games that leads me to believe it's years behind the PS4 in terms of power.

I'm sure it will make a difference down the line, but at this point these debates feel shallow when there are only unreleased launch titles to judge by.

I disagree, we have already seen Killzone Shadow Fall which looks to be the best looking launch game targeting 60FPS on Multiplayer. Then we have Drive Club, while Forza is running at 60FPS and Drive Club is not, Drive Club has dynamic lighting, full reflections and weather changing, while Forza 5 just uses pre backed lighting. Then we have inFamous Second Son which looks to be on another level when it comes to graphics and it's a open world game. It seems already this early PS4 seems to be ahead of Xbox One, imagine when Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Guerilla Games second studio show their games.

Wait..If the Xbone is already packed up in boxes and ready for consumers, why would they still be showing stuff on "near final hardware". Couldn't they spare a console or two for demos and stuff? And if this isn't what they're saying...what are they saying?

Corto

This is getting ridiculous.

Not the thread I mean, just the constant back and forth between PR machines.

Sony is keeping low key though. I remember Cerny saying on Jimmy Fallon that the PS4 was the most powerful console ever designed but from there they're just letting devs/publishers hinting or leaking some tidbits about their performance advantage. Microsoft is in a awkward place of having to chose to stay quiet and be confident in their product, or being afraid that all this talk of a performance disadvantage of the Xbox One can become toxic and then they'll have to respond to each and everyone of these articles/leaks until release.

I don't think the specs gap is big enough to matter outside of message boards. I expect them to have the same port troubles that PS3 did with Black Ops ports.

Actually Black Ops ports were horrid. MS is fucked if COD is half the frame-rate of the PS4 version.

But if XB1 games runs at 720p-900p versus 1080p on the PS4 and that's the ONLY difference, I think they should be fine as long as they price drop REAL quick.

What you describe is an unmitigated financial disaster. So yes it would matter outside of message boards if what you describe comes to pass.

skybald

I am so glad I am not the person/people charged with coming up with these responses. They need to be paid hella good.

What are you talking about? Sony hasn't said a thing about this, Microsoft's the one doing all the talking and they're doing it against facts.

I took that to mean the back'n'forth between MS' own internal PR machines. Clearly the left analog stick doesn't know what the right stick is doing over there.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities

I expect the difference in multiplats to be slightly bigger this time around and above anything else more consistent since we are not talking about architectural gap and lazy devs but raw power.

88random

"Xbox One architecture is much more complex than what any single figure can convey."

Alien tech? Cell was also very complex... Served them right for 3rd party.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
How dare a company say their product should be judged based on its visible performance and the quality of its software once people have had a chance to compare it with other products on the market.

You cant, you may need to wait for years even though the PS4 is 50% more powerful, much better designed and makes it far easier to tap into it's power.

jjgreenwood

Neo Member
All this is jolly good fun.

Shame both are laughably underpowered. Wouldn't be surprised to see more powerful android consoles appear in a couple of years. Even if it is 50% more powerful in computer terms that isn't a huge difference anyway.

Keep digging that specs hole Microsoft.

Just keep deliver the exclusive games that is all what counts for me on consoles any way.

rothbart

I'm sure whatever complexity and power Microsoft could put into their console beyond numeric specs are lightyears beyond what Sony could possibly muster. I mean if your specs are better, by all means tout them. If they're not better, explain how they don't matter... but, you know... if the discrepancy is too large, like say 40-50%, you can say that's not true... even though specs don't matter. A 39% discrepancy keeps you from being an outright liar.

I get that they have to toe the company line and all, but when the people at MS thought the original plan and its messaging were good and then thought the 180s were good, and then thought they were doing a great job at re-messaging, and think they've done a great job proving Kinect is amazing and the XBOne has unparalleled value... well, they shouldn't be surprised when people stop believing them because they were either lying and/or wrong somewhere in there and it was will full confidence. Why should we believe/trust them now?

TL;DR = PR guy PRs... move along.

kitch9

Banned

Have you not seen the bollocks they have been spouting before that? The only reason they stopped spouting bollocks because someone has dared to call them out on it publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom