• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft seeking staff for next-gen Xbox

FLEABttn

Banned
Gorgon said:
Also I expect optional full HDD installs to be standard at least in MS's machine like this gen, and 16 gigs of flash ain't gonna cut it.

360 Arcade?

You can allow for installs and not provide enough space in your cheap console to make it feasible for more than a game or two.

The entire point of the 16 gigs of flash storage would so that the game devs don't run into the problem of trying to design a game that is not allowed to assume a swap drive, while keeping costs down (cost probably a particularly key point next gen).

Gorgon

FLEABttn said:
360 Arcade?

You can allow for installs and not provide enough space in your cheap console to make it feasible for more than a game or two.

The entire point of the 16 gigs of flash storage would so that the game devs don't run into the problem of trying to design a game that is not allowed to assume a swap drive, while keeping costs down (cost probably a particularly key point next gen).

I though the Arcade had been phased out? lol on me. You may have a point there then (I don't own an xbox360).

For the PS4 though, I doubt the flash solution. It would be taking a step back from what is now a standard HDD in every SKU. MS may try to go again for the cheapness of asking money for plug&play accesories, overpriced HDDs, etc. It really is an unknown at this time and those things change a lot until hardware gets locked down.

Lets see.

itsgreen

verbum said:
Solid state drive.
2 GB RAM and 1 GB video RAM.
Wireless N built in.
USB-3 ports with the ability to add external HD.
NTFS format of drive.
At least an advanced Nvidia or AMD video chipset. Maybe Bulldozer with integrated graphics?

I'm dreaming and creaming.

Wireless N is a given.

I think you can count on 4GB total ram. Prices will only drop and in 2013 they will be cheaper. And considering future price drops after that, I think 4GB is possible. Especially if an Epic can pursuede MS again.

USB3 ports certainly possible.

NTFS I don't think so, not without some added security.

I think you can expect a very advanced video chipset. Much like the 360 back then. Don't forget that ATI and Nvidia only do the designs and consultancy on the chips, they don't actually produce them.

Also considering future die shrinks and general yield improvents over time I think you can expect a beast by todays pc specs.

I can see this being a 500$ box, but this is only if they are going to traditional console route.

They could go all Wii on us and ducttape two 360s. Some low end graphics chip, 299 retail price. But that wouldnt make sense as I think they will be keeping the 360 alive at the same time. And two consoles with only a 150$ apart is a stupid idea.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do wonder what Microsoft is going to do about a video chip, a lot of the current chips take up a lot of power make a ton of heat, and even they have problems with the most resource intensive graphics at 1080p. While Microsoft may still have a year or two, it doesn't seem like GPUs are getting that much smaller.

Pooya

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/292541/news/just-cause-studio-prepared-for-xbox-720-arrival/

CVG asked Avalanche about next generation consoles.

CVG said:
When we asked Sundberg if Avalanche was ready for new Microsoft hardware, he said:

"Yeah, absolutely. It's actually quite an interesting subject for us - because when we worked on Just Cause 1, the Xbox 360 came out [at around the same time]. We had to do the 360 version in six months. It's an interesting place again right now, where the projects we're working on today might be coming out on [Microsoft's] next technology."

Sundberg told CVG that Avalanche has a "central engine team" who believe Microsoft is "working on something" - but had seen "nothing confirmed in terms of specs and so on". Despite being in "very close contact" with MS, he reiterated that the platform holder had "confirmed nothing".

He added: "All we can do is guess and try to be as accurate as possible."

Sundberg's confidence in Avalanche's ability to deal with new hardware from Microsoft or Sony is boosted by the architecture of current generation technology. He commented: "Every good games technology these days is so scalable that once a new platform comes out, we feel prepared to deal with it."

Sundberg said that "everyone is speculating" over the timing and technological make-up of both Sony and Microsoft's next console, but opined that "everyone agrees" on one thing: - There will be no optimal disc compatibility.

Gorgon

itsgreen said:
Wireless N is a given.

I think you can count on 4GB total ram. Prices will only drop and in 2013 they will be cheaper. And considering future price drops after that, I think 4GB is possible. Especially if an Epic can pursuede MS again.

USB3 ports certainly possible.

NTFS I don't think so, not without some added security.

I think you can expect a very advanced video chipset. Much like the 360 back then. Don't forget that ATI and Nvidia only do the designs and consultancy on the chips, they don't actually produce them.

Also considering future die shrinks and general yield improvents over time I think you can expect a beast by todays pc specs.

I can see this being a 500$ box, but this is only if they are going to traditional console route.

They could go all Wii on us and ducttape two 360s. Some low end graphics chip, 299 retail price. But that wouldnt make sense as I think they will be keeping the 360 alive at the same time. And two consoles with only a 150$ apart is a stupid idea.

They will not go for 500USD. I predict, from both Sony and MS, a base SKU at 299USD and a premium one at 399USD. Not a cent more.

I wounldn't count on 4GB, though, but I certainly hope so.

Drkirby said:
I do wonder what Microsoft is going to do about a video chip, a lot of the current chips take up a lot of power make a ton of heat, and even they have problems with the most resource intensive graphics at 1080p. While Microsoft may still have a year or two, it doesn't seem like GPUs are getting that much smaller.

Sony considered a water-cooled PS3. It may happen, but I doubt it. It's a very interesting question.

itsgreen

LosDaddie said:
So, 2013 (maybe even 2014) is looking far more likely. I like that.

Yeah, just consider the current price of the 360.

The 720 and 360 will probably co-exist as a lower tier and higher tier console

The 360 now is $299, to create space for a 720 the normal 360 should be priced at $199. Which is 2 price drops of 50$, so atleast 2 years..

Gorgon

FLEABttn said:
No optimal disc compatibility? Anything less than Bluray seems short sighted.

I completely agree. There's no point is MS going for a proprietary format, unless things change significantly in 2 years, which I doubt.

itsgreen

Gorgon said:
They will not go for 500USD. I predict, from both Sony and MS, a base SKU at 299USD and a premium one at 399USD. Not a cent more.

I don't expect a base SKU at launch, only a premium console.

The 360 will serve as a lower tiered SKU. Atleast that seems as the smart thing to do.

Well considering price inflation, 449 seems reasonable, and than consider they always price stuff just above whats reasonable: 499

Kud Dukan

itsgreen said:
Yeah, just consider the current price of the 360.

The 720 and 360 will probably co-exist as a lower tier and higher tier console

The 360 now is $299, to create space for a 720 the normal 360 should be priced at $199. Which is 2 price drops of 50$, so atleast 2 years..

I can definitely see Microsoft attempting to have the two consoles co-exist for as long as possible this time, like what Sony did with the PS2. They definitely won't want to see the Xbox 360 killed as fast as the original Xbox was.

itsgreen

Kud Dukan said:
I can definitely see Microsoft attempting to have the two consoles co-exist for as long as possible this time, like what Sony did with the PS2. They definitely won't want to see the Xbox 360 killed as fast as the original Xbox was.

Original Xbox was unsustainable. Just too expansive to build, made guaranteed losses.

With the 360 they will have a perfect lower end console. Cheap to build. Makes profits. Great portofolio of games, Has more mass market appeal....

Gorgon

itsgreen said:
I don't expect a base SKU at launch, only a premium console.

The 360 will serve as a lower tiered SKU. Atleast that seems as the smart thing to do.

Well considering price inflation, 449 seems reasonable, and than consider they always price stuff just above whats reasonable: 499

No way their gonna realse for 499USD. This gen laready shown that that is a mistake. I agree they may not release two SKUS, but 399USD will be the maximum price. That's already taking into account a loss in every console sold.

Gorgon said:
No way their gonna realse for 499USD. This gen laready shown that that is a mistake. I agree they may not realse two SKUS, but 399USD will be the maximum price.

Depends. $500 was nuts back in 2006. But does it really seem out of the ordinary in 2012/13?

Gorgon

GarthVaderUK said:
What does optimal disc compatibility mean?

I assume they're talking about using the same format. Why woudn't MS want a blu-ray player by default on their console is beyond my understanding, though, so I don't see the logic of the argument. They have nothing to gain by moving to a proprietary format. Even the HD-DVD was an option, not the de facto format of the 360.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I'd like to see Microsoft work with ESPN, Fox, and CBS to have sporting events shown at 1080p @ 120hz. Build the technology into the console for this to happen. This would be a massive next-gen leap as a multi-media device.

Gorgon

FLEABttn said:
It mean that Avalanche thinks that someone's going with something smaller than Blu-ray, possibly DVD again.

I don't think so. I think they mean a new proprietary format. Can't see DVD9 as the format for MS again for a console releasing in 2013 that should last to 2020. Plus, they would completely cripple the next xbox's multimedia capabilities by not including blu-ray, which by that time will be pretty much the default format.

I think the next xbox isn't going to drastically more powerful than the 360.

But my hopes are:

2gb RAM
120gig hard drive
same Kinect as now
graphical equivalent of HD 4870 X2
DVD
$350
September 2012

Doffen

Gorgon said:
I don't think so. I think they mean a new proprietary format. Can't see DVD9 as the format for MS again for a console releasing in 2013 that should last to 2020. Plus, they would completely cripple the next xbox's multimedia capabilities by not including blu-ray, which by that time will be pretty much the default format.
That, I doubt.

Anyways I do hope they’ll go for a Blu-Ray drive, and a strong Blu-Ray standard, hopefully BDXL.
And I do personally believe that they will go with the highest price as possible at launch, this way they can do a proper price cut as soon as the PS4 is released (that is if NextBox is first out).

Rham

Banned
Doffen said:
That, I doubt.

Anyways I do hope they’ll go for a Blu-Ray drive, and a strong Blu-Ray standard, hopefully BDXL.
And I do personally believe that they will go with the highest price as possible at launch, this way they can do a proper price cut as soon as the PS4 is released (that is if NextBox is first out).

I think most people agree that the PS4 and Xbox 3 will launch in the same year. I don't think Sony wants to make that mistake again.

Azure J

snoopeasystreet said:

2gb RAM
120gig hard drive
same Kinect as now
DVD
$350
September 2012

How exactly isn't this drastically more powerful than the current 360? :lol

FLEABttn

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Or just different. (HD-DVD forever!)

HD-DVD falls under smaller.

Gorgon said:
I don't think so. I think they mean a new proprietary format.

A new proprietary format wouldn't be a concern unless it were smaller than 50 gigs. I don't see a proprietary format as being an option as there's additional cost involved in making them, unless we're talking something like a GD-Rom (which is just a modified CD standard, don't believe that required any retooling at reproduction plants).

Doffen

Rham said:
I think most people agree that the PS4 and Xbox 3 will launch in the same year. I don't think Sony wants to make that mistake again.
Sure, but that clearly depends on how fast both Sony and Microsoft works. I doubt Sony wanted the PS3 to be launched a year after the 360.

jagowar

snoopeasystreet said:

But my hopes are:

2gb RAM
120gig hard drive
same Kinect as now
DVD
$350
September 2012

I don't see it being drastically more powerful either but I think it will be more of an upgrade than you think....

• 4 gb shared ram (the shared ram thing turned out to be one of the biggest advantages for the 360). Memory is cheap now so I can see them adding a ton of it for the next system.
  • I think you will see cheaper 3.5 hard drives built in with the next system. 120 gb on the low end and 1.0 tb on the high end.
  • No disc drive at all in the next xbox (this allows them to include larger 3.5 inch internal drives). I see games coming on 16 gig flash drives (similar to how the ngp will work)
  • Graphics and CPU on the same chip (top of the line at the time it gets released)
  • Same kinect design but is capable of tracking at 720p (and the video camera supports 720p video chat)... will also be bundled in with all systems.

Rham

Banned
Doffen said:
Sure, but that clearly depends on how fast both Sony and Microsoft works. I doubt Sony wanted the PS3 to be launched a year after the 360.

That is very true. But, I think Sony learned their lesson this gen by releasing later than the Xbox. And I think they will try as hard as they can to release within the same month as the Xbox 3.

soco

i think the launch price will be 400$ again.

while i'd really like to see 4gb ram, i think they'll go for 3, probably with 1 dedicated to video and the rest system ram, slower and shared. they're gonna have blu-ray, and i'm betting the graphics chip will probably just be an enhancement on what they've already got to cut costs. if they keep it, i imagine they'll at least fix the 10MB edram to be a little more useful. they've already got the clock speed boosted, and i imagine they'll just try updating the shader units and adding a few more.

because of things like Kinect, i don't think they're going to go all out graphically. especially because it would be insane not to add a bluray drive at this point, and that's going to up the cost quite a bit, and they'll probably want to still include a kinect like device that isn't limited by the USB2 bandwidth. with an improved resolution, they'll probably change lenses so they can get a wider angle and not have quite as severe space restrictions as the original.

Gorgon said:
I honestly doubt you'll see 720p games in the next batch of consoles from MS and Sony. 30fps yes, you'll see plenty of those. Native 1080p however will be standard. There are no tech excuses not to even in a 299USD console in 2013.
Native 1080p may be the norm but I expect a lot of games to run at sub full HD resolution, anywhere between 720p and 1080p. Not that much different from the current situation where we have games like Alan Wake running in 547p while some XBLA or PSN games run in 1080p.

FoxSpirit

No Blu-Ray compatibility would be odd. I mean, look at the prices, €100 for an all format BluRay writer. Read-only drives for <€60. In retail.
Maybe go for some proprietary disc but no BluRay would seriously bum me out, I love using my PS3 as a player.

And everybody not wanting a at release serious contender is crazy imho, we will certainly have another long gen before us. Diminishing returns and stuff. Seriously, if one console can do the UE3 demo justice and the other can't, I know what will be my goto platform.

So please be reasonable and include a GPU that's a bit future proof >.<

Four hundred is the max for me. My max used to be 300 for last gen but then I realized that I just needed to buy memory cards and HDTV cables anyway so I was spending close to another hundred which is why I paid the extra $100 for my launch 360. Now that I see how advance the tech was... I'm will to pay $400 for the system but not a penny more.

Doffen said:

They would have launched in 2008-2009 if they could have. Of course, the company with the number one system always wants to drag it out as long as they can and for good reason. Usually it's the last place company that jumps into next gen while the first place company is left kicking and screaming as they are dragged into the gen just because they have to not because they want to. Competition is good.

FoxSpirit

soco said:
i think the launch price will be 400$ again.

while i'd really like to see 4gb ram, i think they'll go for 3, probably with 1 dedicated to video and the rest system ram, slower and shared. they're gonna have blu-ray, and i'm betting the graphics chip will probably just be an enhancement on what they've already got to cut costs. if they keep it, i imagine they'll at least fix the 10MB edram to be a little more useful. they've already got the clock speed boosted, and i imagine they'll just try updating the shader units and adding a few more.

because of things like Kinect, i don't think they're going to go all out graphically. especially because it would be insane not to add a bluray drive at this point, and that's going to up the cost quite a bit, and they'll probably want to still include a kinect like device that isn't limited by the USB2 bandwidth. with an improved resolution, they'll probably change lenses so they can get a wider angle and not have quite as severe space restrictions as the original.

And for THAT, you want to charge me 400 bucks at the end of 2013?? I'd feel completely ripped off.

soco

FoxSpirit said:
And for THAT, you want to charge me 400 bucks at the end of 2013?? I'd feel completely ripped off.

let's be honest, have you ever not felt ripped off by the actual hardware in a console?

FoxSpirit

soco said:
let's be honest, have you ever not felt ripped off by the actual hardware in a console?

Only if I'd paid the initial 599 (insanity) for the PS3. Sony killed themselves there with BluRay so early, standalone players were more expensive than the whole PS3.
Well, at least it seriously helped the better format win XD
Then the problems with the cell, the at release slightly outdated RSX and little memory would have left me wondering if the 599 would have been a good idea.

The 399 for the XBox was a really good price, at release the GPU was quite up there. Plus thanks to Epic they put in more RAM which helped developers and graphics a lot and made early multiplatforms a definite 360 choice.

For a fall 2013 console, you should definitely target a 22nm GPU which in relation to nowadays would result in a quite monstrous GPU at comparatively low cost (I mean, Intel will start 22nm in H2 2011 and they are on schedule!!). And MS already showed with the 360 that they can do that and I'd guess they will go down that route again.

So no, aside from the $(€)599 PS3 start I always felt consoles were priced well. Well, 3DS may be a bit overpriced but that's what you get when reviews are so gushing that they prompt Nintendo to simply pricehike.

FoxSpirit said:
The 399 for the XBox was a really good price, at release the GPU was quite up there. Plus thanks to Epic they put in more RAM which helped developers and graphics a lot and made early multiplatforms a definite 360 choice.

The 360 launched at $299. Remember, at the time of launch no other system besides the original Xbox shipped with a HDD and people were still used to buying memory cards like the PS2. At launch there was no need at the time to REQUIRE an HDD. I have a few friends that bought core units at launch.

Philthy

This is going to be such a long wait. I have been ready to move on for a few years now. Nothing coming out catches my eye other than EDF, and that's just barely.

Curufinwe

snoopeasystreet said:

But my hopes are:

2gb RAM
120gig hard drive
same Kinect as now
DVD
$350
September 2012

120 GB hard drive seems low even now.

itsgreen

How can people think no disc drive?

It won't be digital download exclusive:
- games are very big
- the connection needed, even in 2016, won't be in the majority of households
- they need retail partners

It won't have flashcards:
- games are very big
- memory chips are in comparison very expensive. 16GB usb stick prices have been about consistent for the last 3 years.
- guessing you would need 32GB for a normal next-gen game would mean you have 20$ costs, just for the memory card. Compare that to the 35 cents (or something similar) (including license fee) for a Blu ray disc.

It really is a no brainer.

720 will have Blu ray.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm pretty sure were going to get some sort of powerful hardware. It just makes no sense to me to think otherwise unless Sony and Microsoft are colluding.

Sony has already made it fairly clear with the NGP that they are still willing to try and attain the graphics king crown. And if one of the two console makers(Nintendo excluded cause they have developed their niche) tries to just tape two of their previous systems together or gives a half assed upgrade that leaves the door open for the other maker to come in and really wallop them in the graphics department and make them look like a generation behind - they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Especially if they aim to launch right around each other at the same price point.

It'd be like allowing yourself to be the Dreamcast versus the PS2, but in this scenario you're launching at the same time, at the same price. If you're the Dreamcast company, you'd have no chance.

Top Bottom