• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sending people surveys about handheld consoles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Excited Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

rm082e

Just because they're thinking about it doesn't mean it will result in a product you can buy. Remember they spent a bunch of time and effort on their little cloud streaming device. They got up to the prototype stage and then decided it wasn't a viable product, so they canceled it. Something similar could happen with this handheld.

midnightAI

Just because they're thinking about it doesn't mean it will result in a product you can buy. Remember they spent a bunch of time and effort on their little cloud streaming device. They got up to the prototype stage and then decided it wasn't a viable product, so they canceled it. Something similar could happen with this handheld.
So what you're saying is a handheld device that can do cloud streaming, gotchya

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If they are, that's a good thing. But we don't need another windows machine, it needs to run xbox os and series games. I also still thing a wireless hdmi dongle included instead of a wired dock would be a clever advantage, if they could pull it off. (Plus hdmi on unit)

rm082e

If they are, that's a good thing. But we don't need another windows machine, it needs to run xbox os and series games. I also still thing a wireless hdmi dongle included instead of a wired dock would be a clever advantage, if they could pull it off. (Plus hdmi on unit)

But the market doesn't care about the Series consoles, so that sounds like it would sell worse than a Windows based machine.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
How about starting full on marketing campaign for Hellblade II? To put it lightly, there's not enough shit to put into OT in a couple of weeks FFS. There's zero fuckin' raw gameplay screenshots, absolutely fuckin' nothing in regards to lore or discriptions, zero fuckin' press kit with assets and such to use. HOLY FUCK it's horrible!

Last edited:

skit_data

Tbh, I don't see the point of a Xbox handheld when Steamdeck already exists. The only new thing it would bring would be Gamepass, no?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't really care whether or not they make the hardware - in fact, I'd almost prefer they didn't.

But it'd be great if Windows had a dedicated mode (similar to tablet mode) that ran on handheld gaming hardware and had easy access to the Windows Store, the ability to add Steam, Epic, GOG games easily, and menus built around controller inputs (so devices didn't need a touch screen, which is superfluous for 99% of gaming tasks).

I've had Windows installed on my Deck for a long while now, I've set it up to auto-boot into Steam full screen mode. But it's still pretty wonky trying to navigate the OS when the occasion calls for it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tbh, I don't see the point of a Xbox handheld when Steamdeck already exists. The only new thing it would bring would be Gamepass, no?

A machine that runs game pass content natively, at or close to Series S specs, could do decently well.

But in general this could mean more advancements in portable Win 11 which will be beneficial for other things too.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
We don't need it to run Series X and S games, we just need all Series X and S games to also be ported to Windows and given Play Anywhere (so you can play them on both Windows and Xbox).

At the very least, this should be a hard requirement for devs going forward.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Microsoft getting in the market will be interesting, and hopefully spurs Windows to be more portable PC friendly.

Crazy the handheld market is blooming so much with so many big names like Nintendo, Valve, MSI, ROG and potentially Microsoft, after Sony gave up on the market after Vita failure.

We don't need it to run Series X and S games, we just need all Series X and S games to also be ported to Windows and given Play Anywhere (so you can play them on both Windows and Xbox).

At the very least, this should be a hard requirement for devs going forward.
That's a big ask. Your basically telling MS they need to go to every dev and force them to give out a free PC license to all their users. I don't see it happening.

Fabieter

Microsoft getting in the market will be interesting, and hopefully spurs Windows to be more portable PC friendly.

Crazy the handheld market is blooming so much with so many big names like Nintendo, Valve, MSI, ROG and potentially Microsoft, after Sony gave up on the market after Vita failure.

There is a rumor that sony us also coming back tho. It made sense to not doing another one if their 1p don't support it anyway.

Hohenheim

This is gonna be cool. A windows handheld with a clean Xbox UI, and hopefully the possibility to launch other store fronts..?

I guess the recent PR by Asus (upgrade,extended SSD warranty etc) is them getting ready to launch their "Rog Ally 2" before MS or any other announce their new portable hardware.

This thing is gonna bomb. I love my steamdeck, but it's not a product for the mass casuals out there.
So if this is windows based and open, instead of a locked down console type environment, I see it failing hard.
Too many windows handhelds release now.

saintjules

It's happening. I found out about it mid March. Something about bridging the gap between ecosystems.

Weren't Microsoft supposedly looking into something OS related to help Windows 11 handhelds? Couldn't it just be regarding that? Not everything Microsoft pertains to Xbox

jshackles

That's a big ask. Your basically telling MS they need to go to every dev and force them to give out a free PC license to all their users. I don't see it happening.
Good point, can't imagine the big publishers would be on board with that. Maybe it could just be limited to games on Game Pass? Like - "if you want your game on Game Pass, it has to be on Game Pass Console, PC, and Cloud?" Would at least be a start.

As for me, the only time I buy anything on Xbox / Windows Store now is when it's Play Anywhere. It's the only market advantage Microsoft really has right now, and that advantage will grow if more devices are being Xbox-ified.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Steam Deck doesn't run Xbox games and can run PC gamepass games only.

But the market doesn't care about the Series consoles, so that sounds like it would sell worse than a Windows based machine.
Maybe, but the market didn't care about WiiU, but a portable Wii U sold gangbusters.

Last edited:
Good point, can't imagine the big publishers would be on board with that. Maybe it could just be limited to games on Game Pass? Like - "if you want your game on Game Pass, it has to be on Game Pass Console, PC, and Cloud?" Would at least be a start.

As for me, the only time I buy anything on Xbox / Windows Store now is when it's Play Anywhere. It's the only market advantage Microsoft really has right now, and that advantage will grow if more devices are being Xbox-ified.
Big publishers aren't on board with Xbox BC either. Xbox is going to basically create an emulation layer to bring their library over, so it wont really be up to them.

I'm in as long as it's not tied to one "ecosystem" - I'm using my Steam Deck almost exclusively at the moment, remote playing from Xbox, PS5 and my gaming PC and it is awesome. Not played this much in a long time. Xbox UI, but open to steam, PS5 remote play - yes please. And make it good, not necessarily cheap. Or at least a good option.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to focus on having the Windows Store compatible with Steam Deck? This way they don't need to build hardware and have the benefits of people potentially buying games from their own storefront.

I'm sure there are a lot of technical and legal hurdles to get through, but this seems like most appropriate solution over releasing another device when the Steam Deck has the majority of the market (I assume!).

Top Bottom