• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They already said the PSEye will be required to log in as it detects your face/controller.

Not much room for interpretation..

They've only said it can be used to track the controller for things like split screen orientation. Facial recognition has only been mentioned in passing. They haven't said if it's required or even included yet. I think it's highly likely it'll be included but I doubt it'll be mandatory.

Dusky

They already said the PSEye will be required to log in as it detects your face/controller.

Not much room for interpretation..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/20/playstation4-eye/

The Kinect-like camera is designed to work with Sony's new controller standard too, recognizing each player by the color of the DualShock 4's LED light bar. Sony says the Eye will allow the PS4 to use face login, and the collection of microphones might make voice control possible as well. No word yet if the new camera device will be a PS4 pack in or sold separately, but if you're interested in mining press releases for details, you'll find one after the break.

It's optional.

Derrick01

Banned
First I've heard.

What the hell?

Just goes to show you the difference in focus between MS and Sony. Sony packs in a camera too but make it clear to everyone their focus is on gamers, and we've heard almost no talk from developers about it. Meanwhile kinect is the only thing MS focuses on anymore.

Into

Well, they said we won't be seeing $599. But if Microsoft is doing $499, I can see Sony doing it too. Sony is including a 3D camera with every box too (required for log in), not just MS with Kinect.

Then there's obviously the RAM. I can see MS doing anywhere from $399 to $499 for the real deal, but I have no idea how big of losses Sony will be willing to take.

Where are you getting any of this from? It is pure conjecture on your part.

Don't know if the video was posted here so:

Watch this for clarification, he says 'must be internet connected to use'.

Summary of the news:
Wow he just said I don't think the new Xbox will play 360 games and that is why they are releasing a new Xbox 360 code named stingray for $99 when the next xbox comes out.

>.>

Good watch, thanks for sharing.

Durango is going to be expensive. You know $500 without subscription or $300 with. How much credibility does this guy have?

Always online:
"It actually says must be internet connected to use. In the notes."

Afrodium

Banned
Why does anyone think this guy should still have a job? He should not be fired for being rude on Twitter, which is why most people want him gone, but he should be fired for completely ruining the Nextbox's reputation before it was even announced. If this always-online rumor is true, then you can bet that Microsoft was working hard on how to spin it. Thanks to Orth, MS has lost control of its message and may never recover. Just look at the OP to see all the different news outlets that reported on this. In the coming days to the announcement of the Nextbox people will not be waiting in anticipation of what MS has in store for next gen like they did for Sony. Now people are just going to be waiting to hear if always-on is indeed true. Even if they don't mention it in the press conference, you can bet that every single game journalist is going to be prepared to ask them about it. Orth has severely damaged a major hardware release before it is even announced. If that doesn't cost someone a job, I don't know what should.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Man, gotta love those false analogies, twitter really is a perfect place for unsound arguments. The low word counts makes it nearly impossible to construct decent counterarguments, so direct confrontation has little strenght. This is also the greatest thing about twitter; some people really say dumb shit when they feel that they cant be called out in any meaningful way within that platform.

Just goes to show you the difference in focus between MS and Sony. Sony packs in a camera too but make it clear to everyone their focus is on gamers, and we've heard almost no talk from developers about it. Meanwhile kinect is the only thing MS focuses on anymore.

When was the last big Kinect game? Or advertising push?

Microsoft hasn't said anything about anything in a while. Nevermind Kinect.

Dueck

Banned
Though it's pointless making a camera peripheral and not including it. It'll never be supported.

That's the gist of it. No "alternative" accessories ever succeed unless they're given to everybody. Developers can't make proper games that some people can't even use.

rdrr gnr

That's basically the guy rattling off a few features of the camera.

How you interpret this as "requires PSEYE for login" is completely beyond me.
I'll give you a hint.

It's when you really want to buy the new Xbox and rationalization starts to kick in.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, my bad. Cross-posting from an unrelated thread:

My source was a GAF thread with some interview that mentioned it, I can't seem to find it searching right now. But the official PR above says "can" be used to log in, which doesn't necessarily mean you *need* it, but it's pretty pointless functionality if you can just unplug the thing and log in regularly.

VGLeaks said it's almost certainly going to be in every PS4, I think I just got that muddied up with what's been announced. But I think logically that makes the most sense for Sony, especially considering the whole reason it exists is to combat Kinect.

And I've been pretty clear about how I feel about both the PS4/Durango, anyone can search through my post history and see that I prefer MS IPs while still thinking PS4 is a love letter to gamers. I got shit mixed up, so my apologies.

Yeah, my bad. Cross-posting from an unrelated thread:

My source was a GAF thread with some interview that mentioned it, I can't seem to find it searching right now. But the official PR above says "can" be used to log in, which doesn't necessarily mean you *need* it, but it's pretty pointless functionality if you can just unplug the thing and log in regularly.

VGLeaks said it's almost certainly going to be in every PS4, I think I just got that muddied up with what's been announced. But I think logically that makes the most sense for Sony, especially considering the whole reason it exists is to combat Kinect.

And I've been pretty clear about how I feel about both the PS4/Durango, anyone can search through my post history and see that I prefer MS IPs while still thinking PS4 is a love letter to gamers. I got shit mixed up, so my apologies.
At this point, what IPs has MS been doing anything with at all?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At this point, what IPs has MS been doing anything with at all?
Forza has progressed at a rapid pace and continually delivered multiple games with pretty big changes all within a 2 year cycle. It's one of the most progressive franchises in gaming. Power has always been an issue, and with next gen I can only imagine Forza getting better. More livery layers, proper video and image output, better physics and damage modelling etc.

Halo is my favourite shooter, and though it's hit a roadbump with Halo 4, I'm still looking forward to the direction the story is going, but the test will be if 343 learns from their mistakes or not. I have more faith than most though, I think 343 did an incredibly good job with a near impossible task of carrying Halo's legacy. I didn't expect them to be a carbon copy of Bungie out the gate.

Fable sucks.

Gears has overstayed it's welcome.

They're heavily rumoured to be resurrecting my favourite franchise of all time, PGR, for Durango. I bought a 360 for PGR3 and I'll buy a Durango for PGR5 if it lives up to the name.

It just so happens the few genres I care about, they put all their effort into. I've hated both series' of shooters Sony has tried to push (Resistance/Killzone) and Forza has done a good job of embarrassing GT over the years despite lacking the relationship with manufacturers PD has (the best part of GT). Combine that with a potential Alan Wake 2, Rare getting a chance to work on a new IP, plus whatever Black Tusk is working on, and I think the future looks hella bright for the gaming division of MS and you can understand why someone would be resistant to switch ecosystems. I can't buy two consoles next gen because I'm just not spending that much money on controllers for both (since the vast majority of my console gaming is local splitscreen), that can be spent on games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think that functionality is pointless just because it's optional.

It's a convenience feature that makes it possible to have people log into their passworded accounts without entering the password when they are in the room.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
hell no

The views of this thread is over 1 million

that's

We can do better!

hYq1sZj.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think that functionality is pointless just because it's optional.

It's a convenience feature that makes it possible to have people log into their passworded accounts without entering the password when they are in the room.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I remember thinking Kinect 2.0's wide viewing angle would be cool and able to log you in when you enter the room and be done doing so by the time you actually go to your controller and pick it up. Probably the only good use for an "always watching" Kinect.

Anyone consider it might be cool if you could use Kinect as a security camera you could use to check out your place with your cell phone using an app?

bill0527

Anyone consider it might be cool if you could use Kinect as a security camera you could use to check out your place with your cell phone using an app?

Yeah cool until someone hacks something and catches me jerking off on my sectional, records it, uploads it to twitter, posts it on my Facebook page, and emails it to my employer.

Haunted

One million views, not bad. Barely makes the Top 75 of GAF Gaming threads sorted by views.

But it's still got some life left in it, so who knows where it'll end up.

DaBoss

One million views, not bad. Barely makes the Top 75 of GAF Gaming threads sorted by views.

But it's still got some life left in it, so who knows where it'll end up.

OMG OMG OMG

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate OT made it to the first page (with the default forum cutoff)!

tumblr_m6wkqu269z1qihhlyq3.gif

um... not quite...
Damn, so close.
Edit: lol, and I fail again.

On topic:

If it ends up being 'Online Only' I'll be giving it a pass. I know I have to be online to download a game and can live with being online to enter a code when I first start up a game... but after that I expect to be able to play my single player games offline. If Steam can do it, so can Microsoft.

Top Bottom