• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Man, these rumors are gaining way too much steam to be false. That guy's tweets make him look like a narrow-minded buffoon.

I, for one, will not cave. The PS4 is looking more and more like the better console in terms of hardware and functionality. Won't know for sure until the Nextbox is unveiled.

Remember that long Xbox live outage in 2007? They gave us a free game Undertow because it pissed off so many people.

Xbox live is down for maintenance. Fuck you if you want to play a game then.

Always online future,

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Individual games that most would get mainly to play with others, and especially for Diablo III there was STILL backlash, and presumably the primary reason it was always online, the auction house, ended up being a bad idea. We also had Ubisoft backtrack from doing this to strictly single player games (where it's the biggest problem) after enough backlash and possibly diminished sales.

If Microsoft were poising this as a platform first and foremost for online games then MAYBE people would tolerate it, as you gotta be online to play the games anyway. But under the assumption of a general, single-player-too system, it's a bunch of shit.

Yeah it's different for sure. We'll have to see how it pans out. It's not been on a system-wide thing like you mentioned.

Hell this shit isn't even confirmed, just some funny-ass tweets. People are just dying to get wound up.

daveo42

Banned
Wii U can probably turn itself around eventually. Maybe MS can as well. Is this something that can be removed with an update?

There was a rumor it would be at the OS level on a thread from late yesterday/early today. Simple update would remove this from the system and remove the online DRM bits.

Remember, all rumors at this point.

onQ123

Never forget the nightmare that was PS3 Error Code 8001050F

mqdefault.jpg

Do you want this to happen every time the Xbox Live goes down?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If I were an exec over there, his ass would be canned with haste. Microsoft had to have prepared the most buttered up, sugar-coated way to deliver the always online news, and he goes off and blurts it to the world in full asshole troll mode.

But, I guess if they fire him now, that would also confirm what we believe to be true.

That's what Facebook and other social media are for. Already warned my friends and colleagues before MS can spin this.

LOL! How would they ever have gotten by before you "warned" them of mean, old man Microsoft's scary next generation videogames console and their apparent lack of concern for gamers with bad internet connections hahaha.

TRios Zen

So Creative Director basically confirms next box will be always on-line.

Some of GAF reacts as if this somehow confirms it must be on-line TO PLAY GAMES.

OR am I missing something here?

Note, I'm not defending the manner in which he had his meltdown. But those are separate conversations I think.

]https://twitter.com/manveerheir/status/319996726507343872
His updated those tweets saying that Orth was joking about the City ones. Can someone put that in first post.

inky

LOL, this guy is worse than some people here. Um, I guess, thanks for making it this easy for me Microsoft.

mgcastro

What if MIcrosoft gains huge third party timed excusivity? It's the only big benefit I can see coming out of this, assuming it's real to begin with.

Tagg9

That twitter reply is making the rumors more believable. I am starting to worry now...
There IS such a thing as bad press.

I don't think anyone would argue that bad press is a thing.

The question is whether or not getting bad press now will influence how Durango is received after the reveal.

So Creative Director basically confirms next box will be always on-line.

Some of GAF reacts as if this somehow confirms it must be on-line TO PLAY GAMES.

OR am I missing something here?

Note, I'm not defending the manner in which he had his meltdown. But those are separate conversations I think.
He's responding to the reactions of the kotaku rumor posted today, which does say you will need to be online to play games and use apps.

I wouldn't buy a vacuum if it had to be always plugged in.
It's more like why would I buy the MS vacuum when the Sony vacuum is reportedly more powerful and doesn't need to be plugged in?

If MS had a monopoly on video games, this could work, but Sony has their act together now.

For me, the choice between Durango and PS4 will come down to which company will screw me over the least.

(I'm still waiting for official announcements)

Duxxy3

I recall reading an article earlier today saying that microsoft will be irrelevant by 2017.

I'm not sure they are going to even last that long.

MrDaravon

OEY5yp8.jpg

Haha, wow. The undertones here are incredibly arrogant, condescending, and blatantly shitting on small town America. What a great representative of MS's corporate image.

What's funny is that Blacksburg isn't even really a small town, it's where Virginia Tech is located.

Top Bottom