• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

SadRogerGoodell

Neo Member
I still am a bit floored that this "always-on" & "Digital Downloads Only" rumors keep coming up....I still want to know the same thing.....are they really dismissing people's data caps?

Master_JO

Banned
No.
Fake as in he probably doesn't actually work for Microsoft.
In fact, his LinkedIn has no mention of Microsoft.
Just saying...

Yeah, I'v noticed that too but thought to myself maybe it's nothing, Maybe it's something.

I like being a part of discussions and everything but dosnt buy to much into rumors or speculations. when its official, Then its official. That is just me. :)

eznark

Banned
What people forget is that a media box is always online - of course it was going to be that way. MS doesn't care about games, they care about owning your living room. Games are just one way to get there. The other is through your cable and online connection.

I can plug a USB drive into my roku and play movies through it with no Internet connection.

If the gaming side of the Internet was a barometer of sales, the Wii would have tanked, and iPad sales would be in the toilet.

It's cute how all the pirates are upset about "always online", though. Oh, not a pirate, just don't have a stable Internet connection? Go buy a Wii U. Nintendo has your back.

0338_nlmv.gif

Maztorre

If the gaming side of the Internet was a barometer of sales, the Wii would have tanked, and iPad sales would be in the toilet.

It's cute how all the pirates are upset about "always online", though. Oh, not a pirate, just don't have a stable Internet connection? Go buy a Wii U. Nintendo has your back.

You're right, the successful launches of Diablo3 and SimCity have shown that always-online is a feasible DRM implementation. Can't wait to see how that pans out among console users.

Who are all these pirates youre referring to?

And boy I hope more people buy a Wii U. It's looking more enticing than this brick.

Burli

Pringo

What? Pirates are the only people, ironically, that don't suffer from issues with DRM games, go figure.

For instance, the people who bought the latest SimCity legit were unable to play due to server issues, meanwhile Pirates had figured out a way to hack the game and play it offline, the same happened with Diablo III. Therefore DRM can essentially dictate that a game is unplayable unless pirated. If that's not completely fucked up and a great argument against always on DRM then I'm not sure what is.

Nibiru

Banned
You guys do know that Microsoft will do a 180 on this at the time of release. I guarantee the Nextbox isn't always online. They will say "don't believe everything you read" but the truth is that they intended to do it but altered the plan because of the backlash.

Either way I know that at one point this was intended and on that alone I'll be skipping the next xbox.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
"As good as confirmed" is not confirmed. I'd say there's a big difference.

Nonetheless, this Adam Orth character is a right piece of trash. I'd rather see the collective GAF community have it out for him, rather than get huffed up about a rumor we don't know is true or don't have all the details on.

You're that upset that people are down on Microsoft as well?
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Until MS finally clear everything up don't expect people to not continue to voice their opinions on the possibility.

saunderez

You guys do know that Microsoft will do a 180 on this at the time of release. I guarantee the Nextbox isn't always online. They will say "don't believe everything you read" but the truth is that they intended to do it but altered the plan because of the backlash.

Either way I know that at one point this was intended and on that alone I'll be skipping the next xbox.
If they do then that's great for the people who pick it up. But I'm with you I've already made my decision. This crap is just the straw that broke the camels back.

Feindflug

I think there's room to address the rumours without directly confirming or announcing a new console.

A simple: The rumours that have been circling the internet are false. BAM! End of story, their lack of response is cause for concern.

I was thinking the same thing, commenting on this without hinting at a next gen platform (as stupid as the denial and secrecy about the next gen xbox at this point may be) is easy.

I think the COD, Madden, Fifa, etc dudebros won't care or be bothered by this at all. I have some friends that only play COD and Madden and the majority of the time they're playing online anyway(COD more so than Madden).

Your hardcore gamer will be pissed though. I personally would not support this, but I already don't support XBL business model where you have to pay to play online, so I'm definitely in the minority.

jediyoshi

I think we need some sarc tags right about now. I just can't tell anymore

Huff

Banned
I'm sorry that you actually believe every rumor as being fact.

It's called a rumor for a reason.

This hasn't been confirmed in any way.

Sure it's not officially confirmed.

I'm sorry you seem unable to make logical conclusions from pretty obvious data

coldfoot

Banned
Our company's hosted datacenter has an internet outage right now, and those guys are supposed to have way more reliable internet than your standard home customers.
Also, comparing with electricity, my power only went out once in the last 5 years and that was due to hurricane Sandy. Internet goes out at least once a month for longer than 5 minutes. I live in a city and our Datacenter is inside the DC beltway.

Demon Ice

Banned
Here is the single post on this forum from Adam Orth, aka sweet billy. It's a rely to thread "David Jaffe and Sony Designer discuss Halo TV-ad, MOH and respect for veterans" about his comments on veterans.

His typing is as bad as his analogies. And, based on his rather poor judgement in posting those tweets in the first place, he's not particularly intelligent. Which begs the question:

How the fuck did he ever even get a position as Creative Director at a major company? He doesn't seem fit to manage a McDonald's.

I'm trying to catch up. The only thing Gies has said on the subject is he doesn't think the next Xbox will be always online required, right?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm sorry that you actually believe every rumor as being fact.

It's called a rumor for a reason.

This hasn't been confirmed in any way.

Why do you keep missing the point?
The fact is that he is the CD at Microsoft Games Studio.

People by and large are voicing their opinion on the always online rumor that is constantly being cited in separate "leaks".

wildfire

Banned
If they do then that's great for the people who pick it up. But I'm with you I've already made my decision. This crap is just the straw that broke the camels back.

That decision is conditional on MS going through with this right? If what this guy said has pissed you off just wait for a public apology from MS. It is just over 13 hours since this thread was made, let alone the 48 it usually takes for a response to be carefully crafted.

jorma

is now taking requests
Not surprised he's backing down a bit, he is employed by the Publisher that gave us Sim City

He isn't backing down or downplaying the important issue, just the bit about Adam Orth trolling his residence. That was a joke, the rest was not.

edit: beaten by a country mile. oh well :p

SMD

When I went to bed this was on page 32. Did something happen or did GAF collectively pile on this dude?

saunderez

Oh snap, I never even knew about that one! How is it that every single time I hear anything about Gies, it's him being smugly condescending about shitty opinions?
That's who he is. He can't be civil and reasonable when challenged, he has to dig in and be a condescending prick to anyone not in his nice cosy circlejerk.

iMax

Hey! What if the next Xbox has a 4G chip to ensure always on requirements even if the internet cable is down?

Actually, the original design documents from 2010, codename 'Yukon', mentioned onboard LTE/WiMax capabilities.

You could be onto something. Maybe they're implementing a shadow network like Amazon's WhisperNet.

KageMaru

If you don't work at microsoft you literary have no idea what you are talking about.

=3

Is this a play off of one of aegies' tweets or did I say something wrong?

Both Sony and Nintendo had make changes to fix their arrogant decisions and the consumers benefitted from it.

This is (was) the danger of waiting so long to announce the console.

Microsoft allowed others to establish the narrative about the next Xbox, and unfortunately, it is predominantly bad. It's reaching a point where it has to respond to rumors or risk further damage to its product.

I don't see the argument where waiting until May to announce makes sense. The number one rule of bad PR is to get ahead of the story.

Top Bottom