• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Microsoft stands no chance outside of the US if they do this. The backlash will be absolutely ridiculous (especially since Sony/Nintendo aren't doing it). The things in those list are petty and isn't on the same level as being forced to play online.

People let Microsoft have it because of the metro menu on windows 8 and it definitely hurt sales. This will be even worse.

Imagine...

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

D:

"Your Station, Your Game, Your Way. It's the only "deal" that makes sense. Pre-order PlayStation 4 today!"

"The "deal" you deserve - Pre-order PlayStation 4 today"

You're doing some good work here today, JCreasy.

Hopefully Sony's new ad agency has similar ideas, because it's an absolute goldmine here. :p

grumble

This is possibly the densest I have ever felt, but what's the joke here? :[ Is there some way to tell from the image it's an offline match?

The idea is that the Ken guy did a ridiculous near impossible series of blocks, was about to retaliate and win the game but right before victory the Xbox detects that the game is offline for 3 minutes and shuts them out.

The idea is that the Ken guy did a ridiculous near impossible series of blocks, was about to retaliate and win the game but right before victory the Xbox detects that the game is offline for 3 minutes and shuts them out.

Don't forget they aren't playing online, so their was no reason to be booted from the game in the first place. The online aspect wasn't used.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Imagine...

ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

This is what always-online means.

imagine playing madden/fifa/fighting games/single player/racing games without being connected to the internet.
you cant. and if you play with your console online,you will get disconnects like an online game on games that you didn't had to be online before....

hmm this brings about a good point about console esports possibily migrating over to ps4 for local matches that is..or being held in kansas..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't forget they aren't playing online, so their was no reason to be booted form the game. The online aspect was unnecessary.
Yeah seeing it in context really drove it home.

It is ludicrous to think that there are circumstances under which two people could be in a room playing a game against only each other and get "disconnected," but that's precisely where we've headed.

ZST8Kr1.jpg

SEE THIS SHIT? PLAYING XBOX IN IRAQ, FUCK THESE GUYS

Seriously though playing Xbox on deployment was a big fucking deal for me. What else am I suppose to do? I not fucking reading books.

UberTag

It is ludicrous to think that there are circumstances under which two people could be in a room playing a game against only each other and get "disconnected," but that's precisely where we've headed.
We're only headed there if we buy the Durango Neilsen box.
We can simply choose not to.

Buy a PS4, let the Next Xbox bomb, and we won't head that direction.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't forget they aren't playing online, so their was no reason to be booted from the game in the first place. The online aspect wasn't used.

That's... the joke... .jpg

The rumor is even offline-modes requires a phone-home to MS to play.

Mihos

Gold Member
Mandatory online?
Mandatory camera?
TV tuner?

I think Microsoft just wants to watch me masturbate...

Interfectum

We're only headed there if we buy the Durango Neilsen box.
We can simply choose not to.

Easy to say that... but a lot of people here are suckers to marketing and have pretty deep pockets. They can say "buu buu im not gonna buy it" but all they need is a pretty picture or impressive trailer and they are first in line at the midnight launch. MS knows this.

ZST8Kr1.jpg

Seriously though playing Xbox on deployment was a big fucking deal for me. What else am I suppose to do? I not fucking reading books.
This was mentionned early in the thread and this could really turn out to be another PR disaster: "Our armed forces in Iraq? Why would they go there lol".

Boss Man

Easy to say that... but a lot of people here are suckers to marketing and have pretty deep pockets. They can say "buu buu im not gonna buy it" but all they need is a pretty picture or impressive trailer and they are first in line at the midnight launch. MS knows this.
I don't know what you mean by "here", but it doesn't necessarily have to be NeoGAF. They don't have to sell the console to NeoGAF to be successful. Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

UberTag

And Sony can launch an advertising campaign showing how people in a household playing a game offline are shut down when the Internet goes out.

Then, they switch to a PS4 and the party continues right on going. And makes sure everybody sees it.

Boss Man

/dies

-----------------------------------------------------

Seriously: when are we getting the Team True and Team False poll about this? I'm curious how many believe it's happening and how many don't.
The only problem with this is that it's possible after this much backlash they could scrap it.

FStop7

Banned
ZST8Kr1.jpg

Not just Iraq, I imagine there are military deployed all over world with shaky to non-existent Internet that like to play games.

Top Bottom