• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

jayu26

It better fucking not.

Crackdown 3 and Halo was the only reason I bought the damn box.

I'd rather have CD3 on PC but hell, other 2 was fun so I'm hypu!

All their games are suppose to be on PC, that is if you are willing to put up with their store.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm feeling some ill omens for Crackdown now too. That game fell of the radar completely and always felt like an overambitious mess with their supposed cloud utilization.

Tecnniqe

Banned
All their games are suppose to be on PC, that is if you are willing to put up with their store.

I have no issue compromising with the crap store to play the games on PC, as the games themselves have been running pretty well lately.

Other aspects are soso but it do increase my experience on PC so I'm all for it over the console.

+ I also get the console version anyway :D

Can we get a Banjo game now, or something MS? Fuck.

Well, at least we're getting Yooka-Laylee. If anything, i'd rather have Rare buy themselves out like Bungie did, just so they don't have to go through MS management anymore, THEN make a Banjo game.

I feel 2017 is going to be a rude awakening for MS fans.

I have been trying to bring more attention to it in subtle ways on the board, but the last year has seen some very troubling developments from MS. It's just hard to break through with talk of the Scorpio, which is why they made that announcement as early as they did.I think these last 6 months is the first time the Xbox division has gone that long without making a new software announcement.

Heck, MS featured 2 JP developed games on stage at their E3 conference as if its a solid match for their marketshare (FFXV, Tekken 7), and people stopped & thought "MS is being silly" instead of rightfully thinking "Did MS really have nothing else to show?"

There are people saying the same thing about Scalebound right now. Heck, Scalebound got featured as an IGN First game for crying out loud. Several people throughout the industry have heard/been hearing CD3 has been in a rough spot behind the scenes. It's publisher has refused to show it in a major capacity for years now; this is not normal behavior for a game whose development is going well.

I thought Scalebound looked interesting, but rough and clunky in many ways. I'm not super surprised to hear about what's happening now, considering that...I still wanted to play it, though...

CD3 footage was pretty early (E3 2015), but I thought it was cool (and the tech was impressive). I'd like to see more before passing significant judgement, but I agree that doesn't sound good if what you're saying is true.

I guess we'll know more on its status come E3.

I feel 2017 is going to be a rude awakening for MS fans.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out considering Xbox is making a huge hardware announcement this year...

I get what you're saying, but there's a lot of contradiction in these two different thoughts (Xbox scaling back on gaming...Xbox going very hard in on a new HW revision). It could be a bit of both, of course...I see it less as MS getting out of making software as it is about MS less interested in backing big games that are risky. I suspect most of the "risky" games will be smaller scale stuff (something like Ori)...Which is unfortunate, if true.

Some of the coolest games of the last ~20 years have come out of MS' studios doing something different (of course, these games came about in a much different time in the gaming industry...). I'd hate to see an end to MS studios taking a chance on major new IPs.

jayu26

gotta wonder how much the minecraft acquisition squashed their budget for new studios

Likely zero. Minecraft acquisition money did not come from Xbox's budget. Fact of the matter is, and has been for a few years now, that Xbox team is operating on a very tight budget. They are probably gambling on Scorpio's power advantage more than they would like to admit.

gotta wonder how much the minecraft acquisition squashed their budget for new studios

Nah, this is a non-starter. The Mojang acquistion is big & successful enough that it integrates into the larger MS fold rather than the Xbox division.

Nadella and his approach to correcting the MS ship has seen that he is very willing to cut under-performers/money sinks, starting with tightening their budget while giving them tighter deadlines. If that doesn't work, the initiative ultimately gets cut. Only thing that is surviving this methodology is the Surface line, and thats because they are finding small but ever-increasing successes, plus its the first hardware line MS has introduced since the original Xbox that has been positively received.

Calling it: Crackdown 3 is gonna get cancelled next. It's been quite a while since we saw that game.

That would be some shit. But I also wouldn't be terribly surprised either. We haven't seen much of anything from the game.

If it's not at E3 (or the Scorpio reveal), then I'm fully expecting it. And I don't want that either, because it was my most anticipated Microsoft game after Scalebound.

First or second party games get cancelled, either one can have development issues. This isn't restricted to second party.

You're missing the point. There is a pattern of games (specifically bigger games) underperforming or projects being cancelled entirely. I'm not saying it's a problem specific to 2nd-party studios. What I'm saying is that other (bigger) independent studios -- like Insomniac, Crytek, Remedy, etc., might be reluctant to work with Microsoft in the future. Clearly I don't know anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS started having trouble finding new partnerships with independent developers going forward.

Or, as I suggested in the previous post, and as both Nirolak and Stump have as well, is that maybe Microsoft is starting to shy away from large-scale independent partnerships like I've listed above. Either way, only time will tell.

Obviously it's different with first-party studios, because outside of mass exodus or outright closure, they will still be making games for the company that owns them whether they want to or not. The studio doesn't get the luxury of choosing like independent developers or 3rd-party publishers do.

Sony's relationship with Platinum is zero and I don't think Kamiya particularly likes them. Nintendo is far more likely candidate.

I don't even understand why so many are eager to say "Nintendo/Sony: Save it!" because Microsoft owns the IP. Unless they're willing to sell it off, no one is saving shit.

Rad-

You're missing the point. There is a pattern of games (specifically bigger games) underperforming or projects being cancelled entirely. I'm not saying it's a problem specific to 2nd-party studios. What I'm saying is that other (bigger) independent studios -- like Insomniac, Crytek, Remedy, etc., might be reluctant to work with Microsoft in the future. Clearly I don't know anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS started having trouble finding new partnerships with independent developers going forward.

That's not how business relationships work. Short term there can exist some friction but in the end money is the only thing that matters. These second/third parties won't deny a good business deal with MS if the opportunity arises.

Or, as I suggested in the previous post, and as both Nirolak and Stump have as well, is that maybe Microsoft is starting to shy away from large-scale independent partnerships like I've listed above. Either way, only time will tell.

I can see this happening though.

Really wasn't enough games coming in 2017 anyway, and now this sort of news.

Puts me off of quite a bit. Still bitter about what happened with Phantom Dust.

They just keep promising games and then letting them rot.

Kusagari

Crackdown 3 always just felt like a game they announced because they "had to" with zero idea what the fuck to do with it.

If it's not at E3 in demo capacity I fully expect it to be canceled.

ViciousDS

Banned
Why dont they have more coming? If they want Xbox to succeed long term they need more gamez.

Pretty much

Price point and games are what cause a platform to succeed, especially if you can only hit one bullet it has to be price.

Microsoft at the launch of the Scorpio will most likely have neither.......

I swear if Forza is the best they have to show they might as well delay the Scorpio until next year.....this is not good.

This combined with how "great" the windows store has been...,.....eeesh

JlNX

Bloody hell you people think the earth is collapsing, xbox fanboys think the world is crumbling and playstation fanboys are lashing out.
You know what guys halo wars coming out in a month cancelled, sea of thieves cancelled to cartoony, crackdown cancelled don't like cell shading. Scorpio the next RROD, come on listen to yourselves. One game has had a development trouble which started after Gamescom shortly after we heard about issues within platinum and its management. Far to many projects at far to small a studio. We are hearing that major leads were away from the project for a month. The game didn't look great and it was far to big a project for Platinum. Xbox, Shanon nor Phil could predict that platinum would have internal issues and start missing milestone and that the already small studio would be spread thinner. I think we may be looking at a LEVEL5 situation. This is the risks of game development it happens to Sony it happens to Nintendo calm down. It's one game that was expected, as much as I love Platinum they have been going down hill. It's lucky that the director of NIER is not a platinum director.

jelly

Time to put the Coalition and 343 to work on new IP if devs there can openly float new IP ideas to Phil Spencer and the likes. Basically have an open Mictosoft Studios forum so people can come together and fire out ideas and stories without feeling like they'll be stood on. It might also be refreshing to step away for some people and try new things within Microsoft studios.

Trup1aya

Now I'm getting all depressed. MS is mismanaging IPs left and right, and the games that I think work well, underperform.

343 can't figure out how to get Halo right, and they axed a promising looking Mega Blocks game

Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break were two of my favorite games this gen, sold like shit

MS forced Lionhead to make Fable spinoffs when people just wanted the real thing. Then killed them off.

Scalebound never looked quite right.

And now I'm hearing Crackdown might be getting the axe. This is probably THE GAME I was looking forward too this gen, as it's the ONLY game I've seen with truly next gen gameplay systems.

Yet they are pushing new hardware? With no games?

LordRaptor

Bloody hell you people think the earth is collapsing, xbox fanboys think the world is crumbling and playstation fanboys are lashing out.
You know what guys halo wars coming out in a month cancelled, sea of thieves cancelled to cartoony, crackdown cancelled don't like cell shading. Scorpio the next RROD, come on listen to yourselves. One game has had a development trouble which started after Gamescom shortly after we heard about issues within platinum and its management. Far to many projects at far to small a studio. We are hearing that major leads were away from the project for a month. The game didn't look great and it was far to big a project for Platinum. Xbox, Shanon nor Phil could predict that platinum would have internal issues and start missing milestone and that the already small studio would be spread thinner. I think we may be looking at a LEVEL5 situation. This is the risks of game development it happens to Sony it happens to Nintendo calm down. It's one game that was expected, as much as I love Platinum they have been going down hill. It's lucky that the director of NIER is not a platinum director.

This is woefully timed damage control.

Griss

I mean, I wouldn't be ok with it. What are there currently? 4 Scorpio launch games? Halo 6, Crackdown 3, Forza 6, and Sea of Thieves?

I imagine it will launch with Fifa, CoD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Madden, Minecraft... you know, the console games that actually matter and sell systems.

Exclusives mean nothing these days outside of enthusiast forums like this. If the Scorpio is the best place to play the above games, it will sell.

blakep267

Also lol at scalebound getting a 30+ page thread when the actually threads couldn't get even passed 2 pages. Where were you guys then when others and I wanted to talk about SB

Fable Legends also had actual testing going on with the public. I was in the private beta.
The difference is people seem to actually like Sea of Thieves. FL failed (I was in the beta) because it wasn't captivating. Sea of thieves seem much more emergent. Plus fable legends seemed to be in development for ages. If Sea of thieves doesn't get anything this year then I might start looking at it funny

Also Crackdown was reiterated like 2 weeks ago to be coming. I'm not worried about it yet

jayu26

I don't even understand why so many are eager to say "Nintendo/Sony: Save it!" because Microsoft owns the IP. Unless they're willing to sell it off, no one is saving shit.

Because retooling and changing things enough to not infringe on any copyrights and trademarks is a thing. Look no further than Demon and Dark Souls.

Stanng243

Do you have a source for that? I don't remember hearing it

Sydle

Cancelling Scalebound is super disappointing. I hope Platinum are okay.

EDIT: I can't believe Microsoft killed Kamiya's dream project.

I think, some third party games going to get 1 year time exclusive deal as we speak.

I don't think so, hasn't worked out well in the past.

JlNX

Do you have a source for that? I don't remember hearing it

The eurogamer article makes comment about after gamescom was were it went down hill, and that multiple leads left the project for a month. The other information was a thread back in April about a lot of "changes" in platinum.

shingi70

Banned
Is there exactly any reason why Microsoft studios seems to have jumped full head into making mostly multiplayer heavy games this gen. I see Sea if Thevies and while it looks fun it looks to have all the same pitfalls I thought Fable Legends had when I played it.

It saddens me because Saclebound looked like right up my alley aside from the awful boss battle and multiplayer gameplay. I've been loving Recore.

Already picking up a switch, but if their is a next gen I'll probably pick up a PLayStation system instead.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I still cannot comprehend that Microsoft bought Rare including all their properties and haven't even managed to crank out one direct Banjo sequel. In fifteen years. Microsoft must have a personal grudge against collectathon fans. Deeply felt.

EmiPrime

Also lol at scalebound getting a 30+ page thread when the actually threads couldn't get even passed 2 pages. Where were you guys then when others and I wanted to talk about SB

There was very little to talk about as we had seen very little of it and we went long stretches between public showings. Not sure what you were expecting!

jelly

Sea of Theives is getting good feedback at least but the game still seems terribly empty and basic, maybe that's just a test and the full game is packed. I'm not sure on that one.

Crackdown, I doubt that was even a proper games all those years ago except a cloud demo. I imagine they've been working their butts off making that into something like a Crackdown game, will be interesting to see if destruction is still there or they just resorted to old Crackdown.

Is State of Decay 2 another small scale game like the original or is it AAA bigger?

I don't think Microsoft can lure a 3rd party anymore. Price and look at Tomb Raider.

Do they have an ace in the hole that isn't Forza 7 or Halo 6?

Just to clear things up - i'm not saying CD3 is cancelled yet at all. AFAIK, its coming this year. But from what I have heard, I have zero confidence that what does come out will be worth it.

Top Bottom